Shutterstock expanding in both editorial and music

Hi Shutterstock Contributors,

Exciting news from Shutterstock HQ! Today we’re pleased to welcome Rex Features, Europe’s largest independently owned photographic press agency and PremiumBeat, a royalty-free music service with 5,000 curated music tracks from leading composers around the world, to the Shutterstock family!

Shutterstock’s customers have been asking for an end to end solution including both commercial and editorial content. The acquisition of Rex is a decisive move into the editorial category and underscores our mission to provide the world’s storytellers with all of the content and tools they need to bring their ideas to life. By adding a more robust editorial offering, including entertainment, news and sports imagery, Shutterstock is expanding to serve the full breadth of imagery needed by media companies and advertisers around the world.

This acquisition of PremiumBeat allows us to accelerate our progress in music by welcoming a strong and growing customer base, content library, and team to Shutterstock.

Please use this thread for any questions and we'll post an FAQ today.

Paul Brennan

VP, Content Operations

How does this benefit us the photogs?

Will REX get us into events without all the red carpet red tape? How much will this change how editorials are done? So will this get photogs access to lets say the NFL sideline and full access to major sports/music venues?

When will we or will we ever be allowed to submit music?

Many questions yet to be answered.

Hi Paul Brennan ,

That is good news for me if they are looking for Events photography as I am from that line of work before I got into Shutterstock and micro.

Most of my work are from festivals of free outdoor concerts and I too like to know if these editorials are needed by the clients.

In the past I had some of these concerts rejected due to credentials, although I have an email from the festivals organizers that no credentials are needed for free outdoor events here in my city,etc

I like to hear from you too regarding the submission so I can be certain my new uploads will not be mistakenly rejected by reviewer(s) asking for credentials.

Thanks in advance. Have a great month!

This is certainly great news for Shutterstock and for its customers. I have known Rex since the Seventies and know that you are getting a wealth of tremendous editorial material -which can only strengthen Shutterstocks position in the world wide image market.

Can I just ask for an early assurance that this deal will not effect those of us who currently upload editorial images to Shutterstock? That is: will Shutterstock continue accepting editorial images going forward? And of all types (e.g. celebrity/sports images etc)? Or will these become the sole province of the Rex division? Kind regards, David.

I like this news. Because otherwise my job is photojournalist and specialty are editorials.

I'm just curious, what price are mostly interested in addition to sports. Per cent in Serbia red carpet and not something for the world, but there are plenty of other interesting stories? Do they can place their orders editorials for example from Serbia?

In my profile has for example a story where traditionally every year people race in swimming in winter to catch a wooden cross. or, for example, floods in Serbia, a traditional zombie walk in Belgrade

Thank you for your interest about the news we shared this morning. We have received a number of questions and hope to answer them here.

What this mean for our contributors:

These acquisitions provide a wider audience for our commercial and editorial contributors. A broader audience means more views of your work which equals more downloads for you. In the immediate future, nothing will change for our commercial and editorial contributors. Please continue to submit content as you have and we’ll continue to market and license your work. Our Red Carpet program will remain the same. We will continue to work with our editorial contributors to help you gain access to events.

Will editorial images from Shutterstock also be available on Rex Features?

For the foreseeable future, Shutterstock editorial and Rex Features will run in parallel. This means that the images you submit to Shutterstock will remain on Shutterstock. Should plans change, we will keep you updated.

Where do the images on Rex Features come from and can I submit content?

Rex receives image submissions from freelancers, staff photographers and agencies around the world and covers red carpet events, celebrity photography, news, sports, and features. Rex also has an archive that stretches back to the early days of photography and shoots 'on set' exclusively for many TV shows.

Rex Features is rights managed? Does that mean that Shutterstock is moving into RM licensing?

Rex currently licenses images for a single use rather than an unlimited number of uses. Shutterstock has no plans to change our current licensing structure.

What is the Rex Features pricing model?

Rex customers can either pay a fixed amount per image, or commit to a customized annual subscription.

Does Rex Features license footage?

Rex began producing and selling video over the last 18 months.

Will Shutterstock contributors have the ability to submit music tracks?

Currently, we are not accepting submissions to our music collection. We will keep you updated on progress.

Will credentials still be required for certain editorial shots?

No changes have been made to our editorial requirements, please continue to submit your editorial work to Shutterstock and provide us with the credentials as necessary. For more information about required credentials please read this blog post: http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/credentials , or contact us in advance of the event at submit@shutterstock.com

Paul Brennan

VP, Content Operations

• 4 months later...
Hi Shutterstock Contributors,

Exciting news from Shutterstock HQ! Today we’re pleased to welcome Rex Features, Europe’s largest independently owned photographic press agency and PremiumBeat, a royalty-free music service with 5,000 curated music tracks from leading composers around the world, to the Shutterstock family!

Shutterstock’s customers have been asking for an end to end solution including both commercial and editorial content. The acquisition of Rex is a decisive move into the editorial category and underscores our mission to provide the world’s storytellers with all of the content and tools they need to bring their ideas to life. By adding a more robust editorial offering, including entertainment, news and sports imagery, Shutterstock is expanding to serve the full breadth of imagery needed by media companies and advertisers around the world.

This acquisition of PremiumBeat allows us to accelerate our progress in music by welcoming a strong and growing customer base, content library, and team to Shutterstock.

Please use this thread for any questions and we'll post an FAQ today.

Paul Brennan

VP, Content Operations

hi, I submitted a form to the red carpet team and I haven't heard back from them yet? Did they get the email.
hi, I submitted a form to the red carpet team and I haven't heard back from them yet? Did they get the email.

Let me look into that and see what the status is or get a reply to your email. With Red Carpet we often depend on the organizers to whom we are reaching out to get back to us, and if they take their time we are often at their mercy.

vincent

• 6 months later...