Sign in to follow this  
PHOTOCREO Michal Bednarek

Have you sales already recovered after the holiday break?

Still very much down as far as DLs go. The only thing that has been saving me is ODs, ELs and SODs. Last month was the worst since I have been here with the exception of my first few months here. This month is terrible as well. I would say 50% down so far.

Still very much down as far as DLs go. The only thing that has been saving me is ODs, ELs and SODs. Last month was the worst since I have been here with the exception of my first few months here. This month is terrible as well. I would say 50% down so far.

Yep, SODs are kind of saving this month.

400k new images a week is frightening...

Sorry for my ignorante, but what are ODs, ELs and SODs.

If only I had them!

Thank you.

Silvia

There are different types of licenses from which a buyer may purchase an image. Depending on the license and your earnings tier you can make more money.

ODs are On Demand purchases. ELs are enhanced license purchases and SODs are single on demand purchases.

Here is the link to what each will make. You can see these license types on your earnings summary page.

https://submit.shutterstock.com/earnings_schedule.mhtml

So it's only a fortune matter? It's the chance! I'd like to decide myseflf the different kind of licenses! :)

I don't understand what you are saying. The type of license depends on how the buyer buys images. The regular downloads come as part of the subscription plan where the buyer pays so much money a month and gets to download a certain number of images during the month for that money.

The Enhanced License is for when a buyer buys an image and it is to be used in a publication or use of at least 250,000 units.

So, it all depends on how the image is to be used and the plan the buyer buys the image under.

After a wonderful December, I would say that this month in the new year started rather slowly.

I would account it to the holiday season, as far as I know in the business I was in , upper to lower management usually all take vacation between December 15 to January 15.

Some businesses, in certain countries, actually close their office during this whole period, so everyone takes their vacation.

Furthermore, as most businesses review their annual budget , the allotment for buying is seldom announced until mid February,

after management returns from their vacation.

I would expect a return to better earnings come February.

Very useful information, eye opening for someone who never worked in a corp ;). Thanks.

After a wonderful December, I would say that this month in the new year started rather slowly.

I would account it to the holiday season, as far as I know in the business I was in , upper to lower management usually all take vacation between December 15 to January 15.

Some businesses, in certain countries, actually close their office during this whole period, so everyone takes their vacation.

Furthermore, as most businesses review their annual budget , the allotment for buying is seldom announced until mid February,

Very useful information, eye opening for someone who never worked in a corp ;). Thanks.

You're quite welcome, Niserin :)

If you're refering to the full organization close-down for a month, this happens in certain countries only. Of course, this culture is adapted by some US and Canada companies eg my dentist also close his office down so everyone takes their holiday at the same time.

I presume it has more to do with convenience so one does not have to hire or train a substitute personnel during the absence of someone vital. Makes sense to me , really.

You're quite welcome, Niserin :)

If you're refering to the full organization close-down for a month, this happens in certain countries only. Of course, this culture is adapted by some US and Canada companies eg my dentist also close his office down so everyone takes their holiday at the same time.

I presume it has more to do with convenience so one does not have to hire or train a substitute personnel during the absence of someone vital. Makes sense to me , really.

Really?

Where in the US I have never heard of this anywhere in the US?

And why would anyone need to hire and train substitute personnel?

Never heard of that before?

Hi guys,

With January almost at the end, this will for sure be one of the worst months of the past 2 years.

Hope it'll recover in February but its the first time I hear so many contributors talking about low sales and that's starting to worry me.

Hope it's just a phase although.

I remember in May 2008 and the decline in sales due to the economic crisis. Then the sales dropped by more than 50%. This reminds me of that period. Since then, my sales have never recovered. The sale was unstable all the time and earnings are not increasing from month to month as before May 2008.

Yep same here unfortunately..

In the last few months I can see a drop of sales (-20/30% average).

In fact, I'm wondering if Shutterstock has changed something, like, for instance, its searching algorithm..

My sales are so low that I'm almost thinking of giving up. It's as if my entire portfolio is invisible to buying customers. Even new batches accepted of nice quality highly commercial images are seeing almost zero downloads. I'm sitting here looking at the screen feeling very disillusioned. Does anyone have experience of this? Is it possible for a portfolio to just be 'shut off' for some reason?