Sign in to follow this  
sebolla74

search bug on downscaled hd from 4k

Hi all,we've been told to upload the 4k version of the file and ss downscales it for us and this is a good thing...

After some searchs i found a bug in the search system...if you look for an hd clip excluding 4k your hd clip downscaled from the 4k won't show up...it looks like the search system doesn't see hd downscaled from 4k...and this reduces the chances to sell...

Hi,

Do you have an example? what search term did you enter and what content were you expecting that did not show?

Thanks in advance

Vincent

Shutterstock

Clips that are submitted in 4k are made available in HD and should show in search results when excluding 4k.

I did a test and the clips that showed in 4k search results also showed in HD search results. They may not be in the same order since they are different searches, but it did not seem any clips were excluded.

If you can show me what you did that got to your result and we can try to duplicate.

Vincent

Shutterstock

Here's an example:

If I do a basic search for "Pittsburgh," I get all clips, regardless of resolution.

See: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280996/search-ss-pgh-all.JPG

But, if I choose to "see only HD clips" by clicking on the "HD" link in the left sidebar, all those 4K clips in as seen in the previous image are wrongly REMOVED from the search results.

See: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280996/search-ss-pgh-hd.JPG

I say "wrongly removed" because despite 4K clips being made available as HD downloads, the user no longer sees them as a possible option for purchasing. So, those 4K clips won't have a chance to be purchased even though they are also available as HD as the customer wanted.

I suppose this same search "error" can also be applied to filtering only "SD" clips; all HD (and 4K) clips are removed, despite being made available as SD downloads.

So, actually, making "size" as a "filter" is a bad policy the begin with, since pretty much everything on SS is available as most any size a user wants.

If anything, you should make the "size filter" ONLY filter-out the sizes LOWER than what a user selects.

So, if a user chooses to see only "HD", only filter out "SD-only" clips. And if a user chooses to see only "4K" clips, filter everything BUT 4K.

Thanks for the very detailed example! I've forwarded this to the footage team for further investigation.

Vincent

Shutterstock

Also interested in this. I'm wondering whether to only start submitting new stuff in 4k, and resubmitting some older clips which I still have the raw footage of, re editing as 4k.

I'm wondering if potential browsers are put off clicking on 4k clips if they only need HD. The search results arnt so clear that the 4k clip is also available as HD, even though that would be obvious to us.

EdIT.

Seems this has been a lingering query for a lot of months.....

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:38 am

Hi,

Thank for the explanation.

4k native clips are converted to Web, SD and, HD versions, so they should show in a search result that excludes SD & 4K.

Best,

Vincent Jansen

Shutterstock

Contributor Success

Yup, seems to be a bug.

Another example for you, Vincent:

Search for videos of "german pinscher" - for some funny reason all of them are mine. ;)

You'll get 38 video clips, 36 of them HD, 2 of them 4K. Now click on the "HD" format choice, and suddenly all you get is the 36 clips that are originally HD. Those two clips I submitted in 4K - which are available in HD - don't show up.

Search for videos of "german pinscher" - for some funny reason all of them are mine. ;

Hmmmm, where to rent a German pinscher.......... ; )

Our tech team has not yet determined if this is a bug or not.

All search engine results are based on customer behavior and are different for each format. So if someone searches the same keywords in HD and in 4k, then the results should be different since they are two different searches. So the fact that both searches are different in itself is not necessarily a bug.

If we find out that there is an issue we will address it.

Vincent

Shutterstock

Come again...?

All search engine results are based on customer behavior and are different for each format. So if someone searches the same keywords in HD and in 4k, then the results should be different since they are two different searches. So the fact that both searches are different in itself is not necessarily a bug.

Of course they should be different. When I'm searching for 4K clips I don't want HDs to show up.

BUT: When I search for HD clips, I want 4K clips that are available in HD to show up. And that's not happening.

Well, if you determine that this is not "an issue", it will leave us contributors little choice but to either

- Upload a 4K and a HD version seperately (which, for obvious reasons would be undesirable) - or

- Upload HD only, even if we do have 4K available. (which goes against any concept of future-proofing our investment - and yours)

Right now 4K is not yet in high demand. Highest demand right now is HD format.

When HD buyers narrow down their search by format - and I suspect many do so to weed out the older SD clips - NONE of the 4K clips can be found. NONE. And that can't be in the interest of Shutterstock. Nor can it be in the interest of willing buyers. It certainly isn't in the interest of contributors who have invested in 4K compatible hardware.

You already lost two sales (that I know of) to the competition, because the potential buyers couldn't find the clips here - despite them being available - and despite me refering them here in the first place. Doesn't really matter to me, because they still bought my clips. But they did it elsewhere.

Vincent

Shutterstock

I think you're missing the actual problem, this may not be considered a "bug", but it is certainly a obvious massive oversight and mistake in the way the search operates.

Simply put, here's an example: If a customer searches "Toronto city hall", and selects the HD qualifier on the left side of the page, my 4K clip (which has what should be an equally relevant 1080p HD version down-converted by Shutterstock) is no longer included AT ALL in the search results.

"the fact that both searches are different in itself is not necessarily a bug." The fact that perfectly relevant HD video clips are being completely omitted when a customer is narrowing the search to HD, just because there is ALSO a 4K version, is a very clear problem, right?

How is this not perceived as a issue that deserves immediate attention?

ODesigns suggestion would be an easy fix, wouldn't it?

I talked to the footage team and they explained this as followed: If a user selects HD, does he or she want to see all videos that are available in that format, or only those videos that are originally in that format?

Our data so far shows that customers use this search filter primarily to zero in on videos with that particular original size. For example, selecting SD will show you videos whose original files are SD. However, with the introduction of 4K there is now a valid new perspective, and so we have decided to test including non-original files with our customers in the coming weeks.

As with any test, this will be applied to limited group of customers and compared to those that are not included in the test. If the test is successful it will be implemented across the board. We'll keep you updated.

Vincent

Shutterstock

I talked to the footage team and they explained this as followed: If a user selects HD, does he or she want to see all videos that are available in that format, or only those videos that are originally in that format?

Our data so far shows that customers use this search filter primarily to zero in on videos with that particular original size. For example, selecting SD will show you videos whose original files are SD. However, with the introduction of 4K there is now a valid new perspective, and so we have decided to test including non-original files with our customers in the coming weeks.

As with any test, this will be applied to limited group of customers and compared to those that are not included in the test. If the test is successful it will be implemented across the board. We'll keep you updated.

Vincent

Shutterstock

Does anyone honestly believe that customers care if a video was "originally" uploaded in 4K or HD? Doesn't logic dictate that a customer looking for a HD video that suits their content needs, would be just as satisfied with a HD video originally rendered in a higher quality? Not sure why wasting time conducting a "test" makes more sense than to just fix the problem.

And now those of us who are losing sales because of this huge search problem will have to re-think uploading in 4K, or uploading strikingly similar "original" HD clips to go along with our 4K's. This is going to cause much more issues in the future of the search, duplicates, contributors deciding to upload HD INSTEAD of 4K. Wow.

Wouldn't it just be easier to admit this was a oversight in the function of the search and fix it? Is the pride of whoever blew that call, THAT important as to continue to "punish" HD versions of 4K clips?

I can understand someone wanted to limit their results for SD, maybe they want some 4x3 retro archival footage.

But I agree. 4K and HD are all going to be the same type of material. Omitting 4K in HD-only searches may not be a "bug," but it is an oversight.