Announcement: New Editorial Guidelines

Hello,

We've officially added a new type of editorial image to our accepted content: "illustrative" editorial.

For a full explanation and examples, please see this blog post over at Shutterbuzz:

http://www.shutterstock.com/buzz/announcing-shutterstocks-new-editorial-guidelines

Please note the keyword and other guidelines to ensure that your images get accepted.

Happy holidays!

Best,

Scott

VP of Content

Shutterstock

Hello,

We've officially added a new type of editorial image to our accepted content: "illustrative" editorial.

For a full explanation and examples, please see this blog post over at Shutterbuzz:

http://www.shutterstock.com/buzz/announcing-shutterstocks-new-editorial-guidelines

Please note the keyword and other guidelines to ensure that your images get accepted.

Happy holidays!

Best,

Scott

VP of Content

Shutterstock

Love it!

Opens up a lot more possibilities in a big way.

Question?

What about Isolated illustrative editorials?

Such as a product no longer available on the market that can be used to illustrate discontinued products due to environmental hazards or from discontinued production to introduce a new line to be produced?

And if not Isolated placing it on something in it's environment and shooting that way?

And will this also apply to video?

Many questions can possibly come up.

Happy Holidays back atcha.

Barry, their Starbucks example does exactly what you're asking about. It puts the subject in the environment. It's obviously a set up shot, which is OK for that kind of shot because it's illustrative.

I'm sure you could do studio shots of trademarked products, but I'd also like some clarification on that. I do know IS has allowed studio shots of such products for a while now. Something like an image of a can of Coke in the studio, which a blogger might use for an article about childhood obesity.

Barry, their Starbucks example does exactly what you're asking about. It puts the subject in the environment. It's obviously a set up shot, which is OK for that kind of shot because it's illustrative.

I'm sure you could do studio shots of trademarked products, but I'd also like some clarification on that. I do know IS has allowed studio shots of such products for a while now. Something like an image of a can of Coke in the studio, which a blogger might use for an article about childhood obesity.

True true my typing was faster then my brain was thinking.

True true my typing was faster then my brain was thinking.

Welcome to getting Older. LOL This is good news.

Holy cow... Now that's what I call an early Christmas present. :)

One question though, does this apply to photos only or does it include illustrations and/or footage as well?

Oh my, between this and the addition for 4K footage, I see some serious complaints of spouse neglegt coming my way...

Hello,

Thanks all.

In terms of isolated images, we do accept these, but we're encouraging contributors to add something unique to the image. In other words, it would deliver more value to customers to have some context or a concept applied to an image, instead of having contributors submit hundreds of similar, isolated images of the same object.

Happy holidays!

Best,

Scott

This is welcome news indeed!

Not long ago there was this big flap about credentials. Is it still necessary to include a note to the reviewer that an event had no credentials to issue? That the event was held on public land? Or that other media was there and had no credentials? Is it still necessary to state the obvious in this manner to each reviewer for each batch?

Eliminating the second dateline will help with caption length. Are captions still held to 200 characters?

Thanks for the new guidelines!

Removing the need to repeat the date and location is great news. So many times I have found that the 200 character limit wasn't quite enough to include an important or relevant bit of information and been forced to leave it out. This, of course, was especially difficult if shooting a location with a long place name - my home town of St.Leonards-on-Sea, England being one of them.Good move! Regards, David.

Just in case someone thinks the requirements for News Editorial / Events have changed. They haven't. This was posted in March, and I don't see anything that would effect this segment.

http://www.shutterstock.com/buzz/credentials

Images or footage submitted for editorial use that have been taken at the events listed below require proof of credentials before they will be reviewed:

Do we know about the captioning rules yet? Are people submitting photos WITHOUT repeating the date? I must've been sleeping as I've only just found the thread...DOH!!!!

Also, if I shoot an object in my back bedroom aka studio, and it is - say - Japanese - what location do I put?

Thanks in advance!

I jsut got my first rejection for not following editorial guidelines.

Can someone please tell me what is wrong with this caption:

BANGKOK, THAILAND – DECEMBER 19, 2013: Asian man walking up the stairs to Siam Square BTS station talking in mobile phone.

BANGKOK, THAILAND – DECEMBER 19, 2013: Asian man walking up the stairs to Siam Square BTS station talking in mobile phone.

I guest it is not news worthy.

Сaption should include basic identifiers, such as: Who, What, Why, Where and When.
If you'd include a sentence about BTS Skytrain, and it is actually in the picture, it may sneak through.

Just to give you an idea:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-161861207.html

I guest it is not news worthy.

Сaption should include basic identifiers, such as: Who, What, Why, Where and When.
If you'd include a sentence about BTS Skytrain, and it is actually in the picture, it may sneak through.

Just to give you an idea:

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-161861207.html

This one is a typical caption that I have used many times and never had a rejection for:

KHAO LAK, THAILAND - NOVEMBER 24: Two scuba divers holding hands on a dive in Similan Islands on November 24, 2009 . Similan Islands are Thailand's premier dive destination.

The photo is two divers in blue water, no other identifiers in the photo. All of them accepted, no problems. So first time i use the new format..they get rejected.

Contacted support and got a bot reply with a link to the guidelines and no further explanation...