Sign in to follow this  
adigit

Opinion Solicited: Cannon Optura20

I don't think that camera will measure up well... it only has one CCD, and its resolution is very small (they don't even sell those anymore!)... I believe you will find that SS wants high resolution, meaning you need at least a 3 CCD camera. The Optura Xi and the Optura 600 are both 3 CCD cameras and their prices are quite reasonable.

I really don't think SS will take home-video quality clips, so if you want to submit video, you should invest in a 3 CCD camcorder. Mine is a Canon XL2 and while it is big and heavy and has ga-zillions of features, it puts out the best video, save HD.

Thanks, I did think it was better than you suggest. Am wondering if there is some way to compensate, whether there is a particular type of shot and post-processing that could allow me to use this camcorder.

Hmmm.... it'll be just like your digital camera, if you don't have the resolution, you don't have it. No postprocessing software can boost resolution. I suggest you submit a clip or two and see what the reviewers think.

hopefully a mod will delete that spam.

as for the camera adigit, i'm guessing that it shoots in 640x480 which is standard and the requirments, so as long as there's not noise in the picture and it is focused well, then it should work?

The Optura 20 probably has one wonderful feature which would be sure to aid quality--that is a tripod socket. It is my personal belief that the largest cause of footage rejection at SS will be camera wobble, even if that wobble is toned down with image stabilization. Although this might be taken for granted, I have rarely seen a tripod in use for video shooting unless the shooters were pros working on a news or feature presentation. I'm betting this will rapidly change among SS footage contributors soon after the first evaluations come back. The other feature that may help make the Optura 20 acceptable is the photographer behind the camera. I know that this photographer vs equipment argument has been has been made ad nauseum but IMHO it is of paramount importance. I certainly agree that multiple CCD equipment can result in superior video, but such advantage can be easily destroyed by lack of the above equipment.

Jubal Harshaw