Sign in to follow this  
Photobank gallery

320x240 it is Ok?

I was just reading this then I saw your post.

Footage must be at least 480 pixels in height with an aspect ratio of at least 4:3. We are asking that film clips try and abide by the NTSC standard of 29.97fps (frames per second) with a time limit no longer than 60 seconds. Film clips that are uploaded with the PAL standard of 25fps are also OK.

Does anyone know how that pixel resolution translates into line resolution? All I see on video-cameras are (1) number of pixels of their still image capabilities, and (2) number of lines in their video capture. I thought lines were the videography standard - but now I don't know, say, what 300 vertical line resolution equals in terms of pixels....

help?

What do they mean by an aspect ration of at least 4:3? I imagine it means 4:3 or wider, but it isn't very clear.

Footage must be at least 480 pixels in height with an aspect ratio of at least 4:3.

This means that if you were to take some number, and divide it by 480, you would get 4/3 or 1.3333.

In this case, the minimum size footage that you can submit would be 640 pixels in width, and 480pixels in height. 640/480=4/3 or 1.333.

Another example would be is if you have a 480px height and 720px width, your aspect ratio would be 1.5 or 6:4.

If you have a movie with dimensions 700px x 700px, this is does not fit our guidelines as 1.00 is less than 4/3.

Hope this helps!

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer/Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.

What do they mean by an aspect ration of at least 4:3? I imagine it means 4:3 or wider, but it isn't very clear.

The two basic ratios in US video are 4:3 (standard old-school television) with four parts width to three parts height, and 16:9 which would cover the newer plasma / LCD "widescreen" dimensions.

The term widescreen can be confusing because a widescreen motion picture can end up on home DVD in a variety of ratios like 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 that are "widescreen" but appear onscreen as letterboxed (black area at the top and bottom of the screen). To fill a plasma screen from top to bottom and side to side, the true 16:9 dimension is normally 1024x576. That's what I design in with Photoshop for plasma screen 2D graphics.

Your pixel sizes for 4:3 would be at minimum, 640x480. Digital editors using Avid and Final Cut would likely rather see 720x480 or 720x540 (the software will create the proper dimension when it imports -- otherwise a circle turns into an oval but that's an editor's problem. It has something to do with a magical and hard to comprehend thing called a square pixel :)

Good luck!

The two basic ratios in US video are 4:3 (standard old-school television) with four parts width to three parts height, and 16:9 which would cover the newer plasma / LCD "widescreen" dimensions.

Your pixel sizes for 4:3 would be at minimum, 640x480. Digital editors using Avid and Final Cut would likely rather see 720x480 or 720x540 (the software will create the proper dimension when it imports -- otherwise a circle turns into an oval but that's an editor's problem :)

The dimension for 16:9 would most likely be 1024x576. That's what I design in with Photoshop for plasma screen 2D graphics.

Good luck!