Sign in to follow this  
Vilmos Varga

Footage Questions

Hmm...

I uploaded some 3d renders, now I see that it is not acceptable. Where the technical specifications can be found does not specify that no 3d renders...

But I'm very sad. As we see everyday on the tv, there are a lot of rendered movie clips, so it is obvious to not accept 3d animations.

Hmm...

I uploaded some 3d renders, now I see that it is not acceptable. Where the technical specifications can be found does not specify that no 3d renders...

But I'm very sad. As we see everyday on the tv, there are a lot of rendered movie clips, so it is obvious to not accept 3d animations.

Didn't know why is posted as 'Guest'... ok.

Anyway I wanted to say the opposite:

...so it is strange to not accept 3d animations.

I think this is gonna bring in a new breed of SS submitters, as I don't think there are too many of us here that shoot creative video...maybe I'm wrong

Actually, yes. Video is actually what I do for living. I happy to see this addition.

Is there a release date planned? Are there any established categories? It would be nice to see what SS is looking for when launching...

BTW, will there be a new URL (website)? Shutterstock makes a lot of scene for pictures but maybe not for video.

I was wondering about compression codecs too...my 39 sec clip was nearly 1 gig uncompressed (.avi), so I'm assuming compression is in order - any particular types preferred?

As a video editor, I prefer a DV codec as this is the fastest in any DV editing application and no conversion is required. Quicktime or AVI does not make any difference as long as they are DV.

Not all codecs are directly imported by editing software and all encoding will sacrifice quality from the original. With DV, files are quite large. A minute of video will be about 300MB at DV25.

The fact is that most stock videos only require to be a few seconds long. You rarely see an image for more than a few seconds in a finished video.

This is going to be interesting...

I've just uploaded some DV AVI clips, using the Microsoft DV codec. Other posters are suggesting encoding to MPEG (like encoding for a DVD).

DV will compress to about 200Mb for a minute clip.

--Philip

I would not use MPEG as it is a distribution format and not an editing format. I just have to figure how long it takes to upload those 200-300MBs. Ouch!

Are animations created in After Effects or Flash accepted?

Hi, no Flash or animations. Sorry.

The footage idea is awsome and I will definitely take part in it, but I'm really very stunned by the fact that you don't accept 3d animations. 3d is (to my experience) the most sought after clips in the video industry. is there any particular reason as to why you don't accept them? I would love to know :)

I am curious to know the reasons why 3d animations are not allowed. I hoped they would be. can anyone please answer this?

-Thank you-

I am curious to know the reasons why 3d animations are not allowed. I hoped they would be. can anyone please answer this?

-Thank you-

I think it is because of demand, value and availability. There are too many available, they have less value than true stock video and demand... well, I rather pay (as I have) for a collection that is very specific to my needs and once you have it, you move to the second phase and that is to make your own. You can make an animation with a software package but you cannot "make" a scene shot in the shores of Italy, unless you go there. It is more valuable and desirable... just my opinion.

Well I'm inclined to disagree with you guest. As far as I know animations are way more difficult to come by than true video. Hence more in demand. Also, a 30 sec. animation may take several days to make (depending on complexity), while a 30 sec. video basically is 30 sec :)

obviousely there's more to shooting video than that, but you get my meaning. I just don't see why there shoulden't be room for them both. I'm 100% convinced that shutter would benefit from that. Both in profits, customers/photographers satisfaction and the customers freedom of choice.

Well I'm inclined to disagree with you guest. As far as I know animations are way more difficult to come by than true video. Hence more in demand. Also, a 30 sec. animation may take several days to make (depending on complexity), while a 30 sec. video basically is 30 sec :)

obviousely there's more to shooting video than that, but you get my meaning. I just don't see why there shoulden't be room for them both. I'm 100% convinced that shutter would benefit from that. Both in profits, customers/photographers satisfaction and the customers freedom of choice.

I absolutely agree with you and I realy hope that SS is going to approve illustrations as in stockphotos. I usualy get 170 dl./month from just 40 illustrations, by the way I think that I realy diserve it 'cose only those people know how much you have to work with illustrations to get a good result who are working in this category!

I believe that SS will think about it and make a good decision. :) -until than I'm workin' on illustrated-footage :)

Have this thread been forgotten by the admins? heheh :)

Please, if there's anyone who can answer the questions about 3d. Because if (crossing my fingers) animations will be accepted in the near future, I have a lot of work to do :)

Have this thread been forgotten by the admins? heheh :)

Please, if there's anyone who can answer the questions about 3d. Because if (crossing my fingers) animations will be accepted in the near future, I have a lot of work to do :)

:) yeah, I think the most of us with 3d renders will have a lot 2 work.

:)

can ANYBODY answer this thread please? it's been 2 weeks and still nothing.....

I have a large amount of older analogue material made in the days before digital was affordable. I can easily deinterlace this with Virtualdub if best. Any thoughts?

So what about that 3d issue ?????

are there any admins here at all who can give an answer?

I think perhaps the reason no one official is replying is because it is a non-issue. I believe the 'no animations' reference was talking about flash. (ie no swf or flv files) Footage is footage so if it's in a video format I doubt they have any sort of blanket policy that says it has to be shot on a video camera just as their stills policy doesn't 'require' the use of a camera. I could be wrong of course in which case i've wasted some time uploading at the slow server speeds they allow currently via ftp.

Finally I got an answer :D and i'm very pleased to announce it here:

Are 3d animations allowed?

Yes, we are accepting 3D animations!

To clear up confusion, somewhere it says we are not, this is NOT true. We are accepting 3D animations!

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer/Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.

How about 2d animation like flash with an avi format as final output?

fred

I have two video clips that I have submitted. It has been at least three weeks to a month now. Nothing, when are you going to start rewiewing and acepting/declining foootage? soon I hope. I also hope you acept mine. please let me know. Thanks Roger P

Will after effects animations be acepted as well?

Yes, 3D animations are OK.

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer/Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.