Sign in to follow this  
Vilmos Varga

Footage Questions

Upload via http: available?

No we can't take submissions via HTTP. Only HTTP.

Oooookay...

That confused me too. :) I think he must have meant ftp.

This sounds like a fantastic idea, but why accept compressed formats? Wouldn't it be best to limit submissions to a more loseless algorithm like .avi? As a videographer, I could see how this could cause major problems in the editing room due to problems converting.

I do admit to knowing nothing of the market however. So my question really is: who wants .mov and .wmv formats so we can know what to provide for them?

Wow! New stuff....more questions....the follks at SS are brave souls! :-)

In the announcement in the top forum it says wmv is allowed. It sounds like you submitted with the "Submit photos" link. If you did try again with the "Submit footage" link and see if it works. :)
I believe, I used the correct link. In the message they say:
Only ... video files with extensions of .avi, .mov, .dv, and .mpg are allowed.

And I don't know, how I can remove this file from SS and how I can convert it.

Somebody have some suggestion?

Vladimir

Upload via http: available?

No we can't take submissions via HTTP. Only HTTP.

Oooookay...

That confused me too. :) I think he must have meant ftp.

Blimey, and I was confused to start with. Can't take ftp. or can only take ftp??

To True...

Video is another Kettle of fish and totally different gear...

YEA!! I own a video / DVD production company (lets hope my contracts and model releases are good enought) and have thousand of hours of footage. Just need to find out what they want and what format. Started of in Video..

To True...

Video is another Kettle of fish and totally different gear...

YEA!! I own a video / DVD production company (lets hope my contracts and model releases are good enought) and have thousand of hours of footage. Just need to find out what they want and what format. Started of in Video..

Sorry ... was not logged in.

WOW.... Yes I meant to say that we are only taking submissions VIA FTP. (NOT HTTP) :-\

Long day already.

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer / Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.

Admin: Are you, or will you be accepting editorial footage? As with photo's, alot of footage can contain a glimpse of something that may be under copyright or wholy contain copyrighted material.

Do we still need to get releases for any people etc that will be in the videos?

Thanks George

Yes. Always.

Admin: Are you, or will you be accepting editorial footage?

Would love to know the answer to this, too. The Yukon Quest sled dog race starts tomorrow, and I'd love to put up some footage.

Admin: Are you, or will you be accepting editorial footage? As with photo's, alot of footage can contain a glimpse of something that may be under copyright or wholy contain copyrighted material.

Yes! We are accepting editorial footage!

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer / Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.

Have you given thought for a premium for High-Def footage? I have a Panasonic HVX200. Could set yourself apart from the crowd??

I have been trying to figure out exactly what it is that they exactly want in regards to quality and specs, but still have no idea.

When I buy footage it usally comes in avi format or HDV. It is usually uncompressed so the user can save it in any format they want. Also uncompressed video can be imported into most programs. Some codecs are not supported in some programs.

Anyway, a list of guidelines or specs would probably answer a lot of questions for everybody. I am guessing it something that is still in the works.

Editing video can be time consuming process, so its good to know brefore hand the quality, subject matter, etc. before hand.

The idea sounds great, I can not not wait to see the submissions and to submit my own work.

I was wondering about compression codecs too...my 39 sec clip was nearly 1 gig uncompressed (.avi), so I'm assuming compression is in order - any particular types preferred?

I was wondering about compression codecs too...my 39 sec clip was nearly 1 gig uncompressed (.avi), so I'm assuming compression is in order - any particular types preferred?

I've just uploaded some DV AVI clips, using the Microsoft DV codec. Other posters are suggesting encoding to MPEG (like encoding for a DVD).

DV will compress to about 200Mb for a minute clip.

--Philip

Are animations created in After Effects or Flash accepted?

Hi, no Flash or animations. Sorry.

The footage idea is awsome and I will definitely take part in it, but I'm really very stunned by the fact that you don't accept 3d animations. 3d is (to my experience) the most sought after clips in the video industry. is there any particular reason as to why you don't accept them? I would love to know :)

I'm curious about the 3-D animations as well. I'm just learning Maya - in no shape yet to submit something good, but I would think those would be extremely marketable. Any plans to incorporate them in the future?