Image Acceptance - getting ridiculous

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I agree, sometimes the reasons are absurd. I have been complimented all my life on my composition and eye ... So when I get images rejected for comp, it really pisses me off, especially if I have

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I used to pay close attention to what the reviewers were rejecting for. I don't now. Reviews across the sites are quite fickle. Currently IS which used to be the worst about odd rejections is approving everything that is submitted to them in a effort to catch up to the volume of images other sites have. At SS I find some of the reviewers actually inspect the images, but seems the rest either approve everything or reject everything. One site contacted me once about being a reviewer and only wanted to pay me 2 cents per image. That isn't enough to cover the time it takes to download it and open the file. So if SS is paying a similar rate, then the reviewers can't actually take the time to look at the images and everyone pays as a result.

Hello to all,

last week my entire batch of was rejected for different reasons.

One of the images (Santorini church at sunset) was rejected with explanation "Holidays category is for calendar holidays only. It should not be used for vacation/travel imagery" . I find on the forum explanation and discussion about the similar rejections and it seems that reviewer was right. But now I'm totally confused. I would like to resubmit the image again but (it's sound stupid) there is no category vacation/travel. All of my vacation images was submitted under Holidays category until now.

Can somebody help me, please?

All of my vacation images was submitted under Holidays category until now.

Vacation is not a HOLIDAY?

That is why they were rejected.

Yes I understood that, but there is no option Vacation or Travel :(

These are the options:

Abstract Animals/Wildlife The Arts Backgrounds/Textures Beauty/Fashion Buildings/Landmarks Business/Finance Celebrities Editorial Education Food and Drink Healthcare/Medical Holidays Illustrations/Clip-Art Industrial Interiors Miscellaneous Model Released Only Nature Objects Parks/Outdoor People Religion Science Signs/Symbols Sports/Recreation Technology Transportation Vectors Vintage

I just had 2 CGI images rejected for noise.

With illogical randomness like that happening, what chance do we have of getting it right first time?

Seems like resubmission is becoming the acceptable norm at SS due to fickle reviewing. Ironically, this in turn increases the reviewers workload.

All of my vacation images was submitted under Holidays category until now.

Vacation is not a HOLIDAY?

That is why they were rejected.

Yes I understood that, but there is no option Vacation or Travel :(

These are the options:

Abstract Animals/Wildlife The Arts Backgrounds/Textures Beauty/Fashion Buildings/Landmarks Business/Finance Celebrities Editorial Education Food and Drink Healthcare/Medical Holidays Illustrations/Clip-Art Industrial Interiors Miscellaneous Model Released Only Nature Objects Parks/Outdoor People Religion Science Signs/Symbols Sports/Recreation Technology Transportation Vectors Vintage

You could go with Buildings/Landmarks or Religion for the Church and Nature for the Sunset - it is a matter of finding the best fit. As you have figured, the Americans use 'Holiday' to only mean a celebration or festival, such as Christmas, Easter, etc. and don't use it to mean a vacation, as we would in Europe.

With illogical randomness like that happening, what chance do we have of getting it right first time?

Seems like resubmission is becoming the acceptable norm at SS due to fickle reviewing. Ironically, this in turn increases the reviewers workload.

Render noise is possible, or bitmapped textures can be over stretched or there could be visible polygons any of which could be flagged "noise" by a reviewer. Submitting that stuff to IS before they removed their standards was big big fun :)

Render noise is possible, or bitmapped textures can be over stretched or there could be visible polygons any of which could be flagged "noise" by a reviewer. Submitting that stuff to IS before they removed their standards was big big fun :)

Yea I realize that but there just wasn't any. Certainly not at 100% crop. It's demoralizing enough having to submit almost every other Photo twice without them getting spontaneously random on the CGI's as well.

So... I just got a bunch of images rejected for completely bogus reasons. I'm a full time professional photographer and have been for 6 years. I know when white balance is corrected. I know when lighting is good or not. I run a an optically calibrated display and a fully color managed work flow. I wouldn't submit images that suck for my own reputation sake.

The majority of my images got rejected for "Release not oriented correctly, please submit vertically". Of course... they ARE vertical in the release manager AND they are the same releases that has been used for images that have already been approved.

I had one image that was rejected in one batch for Poor lighting and I resubmitted without any changes, then it got rejected for poor noise and artifacts. Which it has neither. But the interesting part is... two submissions of the same image yielded two completely different rejection reasons. Which tells you they are bogus.

So... in these situations, what do you do? Do you just move on and dismiss those images? Some of the ones I had rejected are really good, very commercially viable images. Or do you resubmit them?

Tom one of the most frustrating things about stock work is the review process. Some stock sites will take just about anything while others are very picky. Seeing that it is a human interaction process there are going to be times when errors are made.

For the most part the reviewers do get it right but over the past year or so we have noticed some very strange rejections. Contributors who have large portfolios and large sales to match who rarely got rejections were suddenly getting mass rejections. I myself had a whole series of my rib shots rejected and when I fought for a re-review they were all accepted and most of those shots are in the top 25 of all rib shots.

We have affectionately called this reviewer "Attila." Many times when we ask for a re-review the images are then accepted. So, if you feel that the review was in error and the rejection reason has no basis then suggest posting a shot that was rejected in the critique forum so others can take a look and see if the reviewer may have been correct. Remember that there are different standards for some stock work as opposed to production work that we do.

Also when it comes to the releases just double check to make sure you didn't upload the release upside down. If not and the release was sent in the way it was supposed to be then resubmit those at once with a note for the reviewer explaining what had happened.

No matter what always look at the images as if the reviewer was right and see if you can see the issues. If you don't see them and we don't see them then I say resubmit.

Reviewers sometimes do make mistakes and it is frustrating. But most of the time they get it right so check everything first then make the decision whether to resubmit or not. The one thing you should not do is always resubmit images that do have flaws because that could result in a warning.

Here's a tip for everyone... when you keyword and title your images... make sure you do it in your software at the same time (LR for me). Now, I have 48 of 50 images that I need to redo the keyword and title.

Does anyone know if there is a way to see what you entered when I did the initial submission so I can enter the keywords into LR?

Here's a tip for everyone... when you keyword and title your images... make sure you do it in your software at the same time (LR for me). Now, I have 48 of 50 images that I need to redo the keyword and title.

Does anyone know if there is a way to see what you entered when I did the initial submission so I can enter the keywords into LR?

Not sure if you can do that Tom and seeing that I do not use lightroom I can't help you there. What I have done from the beginning is to put all my keywords into the File Info area in Photoshop. This way the description, title and keywords remain with the image always.

To make your job a little easier what I do is use this web site to get your keywords. Edit them down to make sure they fit the image then copy them into your file info area. Saves a ton of time.

http://dusegard.se/PhotoKeywording.aspx

Shutterstock has its own version of this that you can also use.

http://submit.shutterstock.com/portfolio/suggestions.mhtml

So... in these situations, what do you do? Do you just move on and dismiss those images? Some of the ones I had rejected are really good, very commercially viable images. Or do you resubmit them?

I don't use releases but sounds like you may need to double check the orientation and resubmit with an explanatory note. Even pros take some time to get used to standards here and what they like / don't like and it might be worth getting a 2nd opinion on the technical reject over on the critique forum. Just resubmitting unchanged images without a note can lead to "warnings" and account cancellation.

Edit: OK ignore - Dave has said everything needed.

I don't use releases but sounds like you may need to double check the orientation and resubmit with an explanatory note. Even pros take some time to get used to standards here and what they like / don't like and it might be worth getting a 2nd opinion on the technical reject over on the critique forum. Just resubmitting unchanged images without a note can lead to "warnings" and account cancellation.

Edit: OK ignore - Dave has said everything needed.

I've already checked them. They are oriented fine. And as I mentioned, they have been accepted for several other files. So, clearly they are OK.

I just had 20 rejected for composition, lighting AND noise. Pretty much every one for all three reasons. I wouldn't mind but I'm only 1 image away from having 500!

The photos were taken at different times/shoots, no noise in any of them at all, and I'd say comp and lighting was good in them all, after submitting so many photo's I wouldn't waste my time submitting noisy dark images.......really annoying and has been said, more work for a (hopefully fairer) reviewer to re-assess them. :(

I just had 20 rejected for composition, lighting AND noise. Pretty much every one for all three reasons. I wouldn't mind but I'm only 1 image away from having 500!

The photos were taken at different times/shoots, no noise in any of them at all, and I'd say comp and lighting was good in them all, after submitting so many photo's I wouldn't waste my time submitting noisy dark images.......really annoying and has been said, more work for a (hopefully fairer) reviewer to re-assess them. :(

Yes I agree, sometimes the reasons are absurd. I have been complimented all my life on my composition and eye ... So when I get images rejected for comp, it really pisses me off, especially if I have specifically composed an image as such.

I submitted 2 separate batches recently. Both were taken on the same day of the same scene. Just different compositions etc.I just didn't have time to finish uploading all on the first day, so spread over 2 days. The fist batch were all rejected for noise and the second all accepted. The shots were taken at 100 ISO, in broad daylight, only minor adjustments as I felt the image was almost perfect color wise as shot. NO sharpening added ... So it could not be for any of the other reasons that get lumped with noise (over sharpening, over processing, artifacts). I really think some of these reviewers are not even looking at the images properly. I believe they were rejected because the reviewer thought the ripples in the water was noise. If they took the time to look at the sky, they would have seen it was clear of noise.

I think SS policy of not resubmitting pics without changing them is wrong. I feel these reviewers should be held accountable for false and lazy reviewing. SS should allow photographers to help them whittle out the rubbish reviewers. I feel reviewers should have an ID that is put with all their images they reviewed so we can see if it is the same monkey every time. SS policy of just accepting what one reviewer says is a sign that they don't care about the amount of hard work us photographers put into our shoots, editing, keywording and captioning.

I have it on good authority from someone who has an inside look at one of the agencies (not SS though). Reviewers get paid per image they review and they get 5 seconds an image. 5 seconds! It takes us days of work to get rejected in 5 seconds by some lazy, power happy reviewer trying to get as many reviews done in a day to get paid as much as possible. ... And we can't even resubmit if we disagree. Something needs to be done.

Rant over ... For now ...

Newly there. Get the following reply. So sad.

"new contributors must receive approval of at least seven of their first ten images. Unfortunately, while some of the images you submitted may meet our guidelines, we are unable to approve seven."

Newly there. Get the following reply. So sad.

"new contributors must receive approval of at least seven of their first ten images. Unfortunately, while some of the images you submitted may meet our guidelines, we are unable to approve seven."

We always suggest posting your images in the Critique Forum before submitting them for your acceptance test. This way we can help and give you some suggestions on your images.