Image Acceptance - getting ridiculous

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I agree, sometimes the reasons are absurd. I have been complimented all my life on my composition and eye ... So when I get images rejected for comp, it really pisses me off, especially if I have

Posted Images

I've just had one of the most idiotic rejections for a while.

I once had a rejection because there was no signed model release by the CGI woman in this picture.

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=1077617#id=112300823&src=I1W7OtYbfN15JnspVa79Iw-1-4

Don't think it was Shutterstock though to be fair.

I'd consider that a compliment.

Haha, yes I did!

John, were yours landscape/outdoor photos? From reading other people's recent experiences on another forum, it seems a reviewer(s) at SS may have decided they have enough of these in the database. Bad news for me, since that's about all I do.

If this is the case, I wish they'd just tell us instead of wasting our time and theirs.

Reupload and sneak a few rejected in with a batch of new ones. The reviewing process is now comical and utterly utterly subjective. Chances are you'll get a different reviewer.

As for lighting/white balance rejections - im now 100% convinced that some reviewers do not have properly calibrated or profiled screens so aren't actually seeing the correct colours before they randomly reject.

When it comes to stock sometimes the shot is just not there or it takes too much messing around to get it right.

You are hampered with the color temperature of candle light which is about 1800 so that is going to give you a very orange look to the image. It is also going to probably take a rather long exposure which is going to bring other issues into the mix. Uneven lighting is another thing that is causing problems with the candle light.

You help critique images here and are pretty observant so if someone else would have posted this and asked for a critique what would you honestly tell them? I have a feeling that you would mention some of the things that I have.

I would ask for a 100% crop ;)

But with all due respect, that's not the point.

I came there on that specific night on purpose, to get that uneven candle light and orange colors, because I think (might be wrong though) that there are customers for night pictures with hot colors. If I wanted to make a technically better picture, I would go there on a cloud but bright day that would help me make a technically better shoot. I was seeking this specific romantic feeling that night + candles in this gardens give.

I don't want to correct the white balance. The picture is certainly not perfect, but it is how I meant to make it.

Notice I did not post it in the critics forum. I won't change it and I won't resubmit. They rejected, they rule, I have to accept or stop playing the game. Just giving my opinion based on my (little) experience about the rejections.

PS : similar pictures taken earlier that evening (more light) were rejected for missing property release, which I don't have so this photo can not make it to shutterstock anyway.

Seems plausible. Does Shutterstock not require reviewers to have properly calibrated monitors?

They don't say. You'd assume so. However, even if they do we have no idea about recalibration, how they audit the reviewers to make sure things stay within reason and so on.

I've seen so many white balance rejections from myself and others where the WB/colour casts are spot on i cant see it being anything other than a poor monitor setup on behalf of the reviewers.

Unfortunately SS is utterly silent on the QC of the reviewers. No telling if they do or don't monitor reviewers ratio or his rejection reasons for statistical reasons to ID trends (im suspecting they dont), no idea if they submit "test" photos to them hidden to see if they reject/accept and so on.

The process is utterly random and not transparent in the slightest.

The process is utterly random and not transparent in the slightest.

The process might seem random to someone looking from the outside but I am sure it is not at all random. And there is no need for them to be transparent.

There are typically between 150,000 and 200,000 images accepted every week. That is twenty thousand something every day. Will there be some screw-ups along the way...sure, but I think overall it is but a drop in the bucket.

Im unconvinced by that - its easily the most inconsistent process of any stock agency ive seen (and various posts on here seem to suggest similar).

People are getting whole batches rejected clearly by 1 button random reason without being looked at, other rejected photos are getting accepted by simply resubmitting to someone else and vice versa.

With most microstock you have a fairly good idea whether a submission will get accepted or not because they're consistent. With SS you might as well toss a coin as there is absolutely no consistency in their process.

Yes they approve lots of images a week but thats a meaningless figure. Some of those probably shouldn't have been and its the rejected ones that highlight a flaw not the accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a batch reviewed by Attila. Quite a few "image does not meet our general guidelines for editorial images" and one for focus (long exposure train station interior with motion blur moving people and stationary objects in focus). Is "previous submission reviewed by Attila" a valid reason to put in the note to reviewer on resubmission?

Just had a batch reviewed by Attila. Quite a few "image does not meet our general guidelines for editorial images" and one for focus (long exposure train station interior with motion blur moving people and stationary objects in focus). Is "previous submission reviewed by Attila" a valid reason to put in the note to reviewer on resubmission?

LOL, no, I think that might just make someone angry, especially if you get the same reviewer!

I would state your case in the Note to Reviewer, explain why the image looks the way it does and what you were going for creatively. I've done that and have had success on more than one occasion. Sometimes it seems that the reviewers don't consider the "outside the box" thinking that creative people utilize when making outstanding work.

As a long time contributor with about 10,000 images in my port, I find the image review process very inconsistent and frustrating. Overall I have about a 95 to 99% acceptance rate across the sites I contribute to including here. I just finished getting 100% rejected of a batch of 20 photos. To go from batch after batch of 100% acceptance to 100% rejection, the problem is clearly not the photographer, but the review process.

This also happened at Big Stock and I sent in a complaint and asked for a new review. They were then 100% approved and I was told the reviewer had rejected them all incorrectly due to background elements being cropped. Well, if you look at that logic, then every image not shot on a plain studio background such as a white backdrop would have to be rejected! But this is what the reviewer thought... that every element in the photo had to be 100% in the photo. This shows that the reviewer was not very experienced, and that the selection process for reviewers not very good.

I used to feel there was something I could learn from the reviewers. I no longer feel that way. It's more like playing monopoly with children who change the rules every time it is their turn to make a move!

hello to all

also I want to tell you my experience: I sending a group of about 20 pictures with the same White Balance , and the same subject with different points of view, the photographs have the same color temperature of white, the same colorors ( Camera Raw)...so, some are rejected for poor light , others photo are accepted.

I just can't understand, I would like understand, but I can't understand :-(

What can I do for understanding ?

And then I made some photographs at the World Swimming Championships: the editorial photos are accepted ste (of course) but other photos where I was careful not to show their faces ( to avoid problems of prop. models,) were discarded for composition!

You could go mad trying to understand :)

By the way, you have a very nice port.

Hallo from Italy,

Thanks for visit my port; I 'm working as MS photographer in my free time and as a sport photographer all the time ! :-) But now is an hard work !! I would you like to see YOUR port ! How I can do it ? ( Sorry for my bad english )

You could go mad trying to understand :)

By the way, you have a very nice port.

Hallo from Italy,

Thanks for visit my port; I 'm working as MS photographer in my free time and as a sport photographer all the time ! :-) But now is an hard work !! I would you like to see YOUR port ! How I can do it ? ( Sorry for my bad english )

Just click on the little camera below the person's name who has made a post.