Sign in to follow this  
livefocus

Focus is not right or not where we would like to see it, rej

can someone tell me what the problem is with the focus in this one, it happens allot to me and i need to learn what im doing wrong, thanx[/img]

post-359178-14368360148158_thumb.jpg

post-359178-14368360148991_thumb.jpg

Have a quick read of this and try and post properly to the forums from your own computer, rather than a link from shutterstock.

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125423

hahaha! Getting in there quick!

I just really don't want to do this lab report. I'm off to watch Misfits now instead.. shame nobody replied to my post! ciao

keep to the sweet spot for your lens. Consumer lenses generally are sharper at f8. ISO 100. For travel i often use is 200 because of the need for hand holding. The speed is ok if the bus is stationary. Brace your camera against something to minimise shake and squeeze not jerk the shutter. Not a fan of your composition and WB is wrong. Lastly move to a country where the light is better or restrict your shooting to the week long summer period LOL.

not sure what glass you are using but check this link. You may be surprised at the limits of consumer (and other lenses) at different settings. Buy some good glass and it will help. L lenses also focus quicker and more accurately.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=251&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=2&API=3&LensComp=355&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=2&APIComp=3

thanks bro, i used the one standard 50mm that came with canon eos 550 i left it to be cleaned yesterday at acamera repair shop, also i used manual focus..

Theres at least 20 things that cause OOF pictures. without standing next to you it's pretty tough to determine. I do know from watching Newbies for years, It's 98% technique. A big mistake people do is pushing down on the shutter at slower than optimum shutter spds. Learn to Roll your finger. 99% of OOF Pics come from vertical Movement. Try it and make it a habit. Watch these videos.

Do you hold the camera properly? For vertical compositions: Right hand grasping the bottom of the camera and the left hand holding the lens from beneath the lens, palm up so that the little finger on your left hand can touch your right hand, elbows tight against your body. For horizontal compositions: Right hand grasping the side of the camera and the left hand hand holding the lens from beneath the lens, palm up so that the little finger on your left hand can touch your right hand, elbows tight against your body. Holding the camera like this in the proper way will give you more stability.

If you place your left hand on top of the lens, palm down you loose half of your stability and you will take a picture of your little finger sooner or later. Also you should know that most of the other photographers that see you holding the camera like this are laughing at you behind your back. ;)

Do you hold the camera properly? For vertical compositions: Right hand grasping the bottom of the camera and the left hand holding the lens from beneath the lens, palm up so that the little finger on your left hand can touch your right hand, elbows tight against your body. For horizontal compositions: Right hand grasping the side of the camera and the left hand hand holding the lens from beneath the lens, palm up so that the little finger on your left hand can touch your right hand, elbows tight against your body. Holding the camera like this in the proper way will give you more stability.

If you place your left hand on top of the lens, palm down you loose half of your stability and you will take a picture of your little finger sooner or later. Also you should know that most of the other photographers that see you holding the camera like this are laughing at you behind your back. ;)

I have to respectfully disagree with Mike!

#1 Use a tripod

#2 Use a monopod

#3 a wall, a sand bag, anything that will give you a better support and minimize movement

#4 Mikes hand holding technique :-)

I have to respectfully disagree with Mike!

#1 Use a tripod

#2 Use a monopod

#3 a wall, a sand bag, anything that will give you a better support and minimize movement

#4 Mikes hand holding technique :-)

Jeff is absolutely correct! I was assuming that techniques 1, 2, and 3 were not available. I should have mentioned them before I explained technique #4.

To me the Trafalgar Square sign seems to be fairly sharp. I suspect the reviewer felt that the hood and headlight area of the bus should have been in focus. I think that is a judgement call as much as anything, depending on what you want the subject of the image to be.

In this case, perhaps using a smaller aperture would satisfy both your intent and the reviewer.

+1

Focus is not right or not where we would like to see it, means there wasn't another reason to reject it so he picked one. Reflections in the windscreen. Focus can be composition like focus of attention. It could be soft. Vague rejection.

Where did you get that experience from?

Focus is not right or not where we would like to see it, means there wasn't another reason to reject it so he picked one. Reflections in the windscreen. Focus can be composition like focus of attention. It could be soft. Vague rejection.

Where did you get that experience from?

I'd like to know where you got that information as well. The focus rejection is a multi-part rejection that can mean the general focus was soft or the focus point was put in the wrong place which would take the eye off of where it should be. Saying a reviewer simply picked it because there was no other reason makes no sense whatsoever and can confuse the OP.