The Comprehensive Guide for New folks - inc.Posting&Crop

I tried downloading the zip file which contains the resizing programme created by Marcusvdt and my Windows 7 PC says 'this file may be dangerous, download incomplete' then I have the opportunity to click the Discard button . . . . any ideas why this might be the case please ?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use the last link. The one that Marcus posted. http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342

Posted Images

I tried downloading the zip file which contains the resizing programme created by Marcusvdt and my Windows 7 PC says 'this file may be dangerous, download incomplete' then I have the opportunity to click the Discard button . . . . any ideas why this might be the case please ?

Every zip file you download from the internet may be dangerous. And even more dangerous can be a exe file. In both cases you must trust the source before you decide you will download anything from the internet.

My program is obviously not a virus, nor malware. Ask the other guys who are using it.

Every zip file you download from the internet may be dangerous. And even more dangerous can be a exe file. In both cases you must trust the source before you decide you will download anything from the internet.

My program is obviously not a virus, nor malware. Ask the other guys who are using it.

Thanks Marcus, I'll try again. I wasn't suggesting it was a virus etc . . . just never had this message before when downloading other stuff.

Thanks Marcus, I'll try again. I wasn't suggesting it was a virus etc . . . just never had this message before when downloading other stuff.

Have successfully downloaded and it works a treat.

Great job Marcus!

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Please don't hate me. I saved my original now to 500 max. But am not getting the crop thing. Just take a random crop of the photo? I tried the design tool & it pulled my photo up, but can't figure out what to do next. Here's the screen shot of me trying to use the tool. :\

post-785851-14368375855381_thumb.jpg

Hi there Dexter - of course I do not hate you. Always ask my friend, never be scared to do that!

So, the cropping / downsizing bit gives us 2 things - 1 full photo to judge overall composition / lighting / exposure etc, and another zoomed in section so that we can see the focus /noise of the photo.

Best thing to do is:

Downsize your full photo to 500px. Save it with a different name.

Now go back to the original. Zoom in 100%, or actual size as photoshop sometimes says. This should take you right into the photo. Then find the section you think should be most in focus, like for the example you provided, the eyes of the dog. Then take a crop of this section. As long as your crop is below 500x500 it will be displayed fine. Your little cropped section of the eye could be 350x450pxs. That's fine. It just gives everyone on the forums a small snapshot into what the ACTUAL photo would look like if they had it up on their computer.

Hope that helps my friend - any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Please don't hate me. I saved my original now to 500 max. But am not getting the crop thing. Just take a random crop of the photo? I tried the design tool & it pulled my photo up, but can't figure out what to do next. Here's the screen shot of me trying to use the tool. :\

After choosing the photo (which you have already managed to do), you just need to use your mouse and click the photo itself (while it is opened in the software). Once you click on the photo at least once, the software will create a green square to let you choose what part of the photo you want to generate a 100% crop. You must place this square on the area of the photo that you believe needs to be checked at full detail. In this case, it would be the eye of the dog.

After you are happy with the selection, you will click button number 2 and the software will create two extra jpg files, one containing the entire photo, but having the largest side resized to max 500 pixels; and another file containing a 500 pixel square slice of the photo at 100% size, taken from the original just like the green square that you selected previosly using the software.

After you are done with the software, you just need to attach those 2 generated jpg files to a new thread in this forum, and ask for your specific critiques.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just would like to let you know, I haven't even gotten any photos accepted yet, but plan to asap. I have read about the resizing of the images, which I haven't been doing when sending them in for approval, but nobody has mentioned that to me on refusal.

I've played with it a little and when I go to save it with the 480 (to let me know it's resized), it flattens all objects if I save it as a jpg. They tell me to save it as a png. Is this alright? Is this resizing for the blogs, etc and not the photo that is sent for approval?

I rechecked requirements and it says there is no maximum size limit for photos.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Laurin set you straight on the other points, however there seems to be a maximum size for image, as I have had several panoramas rejected for being too large, and have had to downsize them for submission.

Hi,

Laurin set you straight on the other points, however there seems to be a maximum size for image, as I have had several panoramas rejected for being too large, and have had to downsize them for submission.

You were wrongly rejected.

There is even a fairly new (recent thread) about this stating there is no size limit for jpgs.

The maximum file size that you can upload to the Drag and Drop area is 30MB. Any file size over 30MB must be uploaded using FTP.

Yes I know Paul, but I don't waste my time shuffling files around into a special folder to FTP to SS, besides, what the hell do they need a 30MB file for anyway? especially when I am going to get 0.38c or maybe $28 ;-)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Tried to store photos on Shutterstock but got message 'You can try again with new content after 2015-05-30'. Doesn;'t look like I can attach more than one photo to message, so do I have to wait until tomorrow?