The Comprehensive Guide for New folks - inc.Posting&Crop

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use the last link. The one that Marcus posted. http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342

Posted Images

I never understood it at the beginning.. waaaay to complicated with regards to the 100% crop.

And i agree with Jake, the slamming posts to newbies are sometime quite shocking. Though i do understand it gets incredibly annoying.

Maybe keep this handy and then when someone posts incorrectly, C&P it as a reply. They can't miss it that way!

P.S Jake, you must have been incredibly bored of studying to write this out! Aren't you supposed to be at Uni? Or not this year?

Hahaha! I'm training to become a primary school teacher (Primary Ed Degree), and needed a break from an assignment on the Principles of Learning and Teaching... Thrilling I know... :D

I never understood it at the beginning.. waaaay to complicated with regards to the 100% crop.

And i agree with Jake, the slamming posts to newbies are sometime quite shocking. Though i do understand it gets incredibly annoying.

Maybe keep this handy and then when someone posts incorrectly, C&P it as a reply. They can't miss it that way!

P.S Jake, you must have been incredibly bored of studying to write this out! Aren't you supposed to be at Uni? Or not this year?

Hahaha! I'm training to become a primary school teacher (Primary Ed Degree), and needed a break from an assignment on the Principles of Learning and Teaching... Thrilling I know... :D

Im currently hiding away from a Lab Report on an Equine Heart Dissection that I did the other day.. they mount up fast so get it done!

Jake...Hardly anyone reads the TOS agreement,Nor there manuals. Sorry But thats simply lazyness and asking someone else to do your work for you. If someone can't or won't try to figure out how to post then Im afraid there gonna have a rough time learning how to even process there Images. This business is not P&S and submit and what bothers most of us the most is folks asking if a Image is in focus or can't tell it's a blur or even what noise is or looks like. We are here to help them get accepted, It is not a Place to learn basic Photography and to understand your camera functions. They need to do this themselves Like we had to. They also need to learn what stock is and not just a place to "Park" there Images.Im glad you wrote that just like Im glad others have for years and years. Will anyone read it? or understand it? My experience says not many. We know whos serious and we have a pretty good idea who has an eye and who doesn't regardless of how they post.

There is just not enough time for those folks and in a year or so, You'll know exactly what Im saying. If we get to see 1 or 2 a month that has a light on, Im happy. Give me 3/4 more artists like jenn,Kelly,Sari etc any day.

Jenn put her foot down,Looked into the mirror and said Im going for it and Im ready to do the work. Those are the winners. Luck, guts,uniqueness and a willingness to do the work Put them there, Talent Keeps you there.Thats why some answers are short and some are Long and some go on to Private Messages for extra help then Long Phone calls. Dave and I take these all the time and so do others. I spent 2 hours yesterday with someone here, Free because I believe in her.

A lot goes on behind the scenes guys. But if someone...Anyone isn't willing to do the work. neither will I. Thats just the way it is. Dave and I have a lot to do besides Post on a forum as do others. We do it to give back but, Thats a 2 way street.

And in no way do I disagree with you.

Me writing that explanation wasn't a dig at people - it was me trying to make something that is pretty complicated a little easier for those who have not experienced it before.

I'm training to be a teacher - that's just the way I role. If I can teach someone how to do something they don't already know, then I will.

I understand your frustration at people, but I think it boils down to peoples insecurities. People come on here because they want to know "Am I good enough?" A lot of the time they are not good enough for stock, but the great thing about this forum is that everyone has the oppertunity to post no matter what their ability level is. There isn't an entry requirement saying you must know X,Y, and Z (whether you agree with that or not...), and I'm quite glad there isn't. This forum is a place to learn. I had a DSLR for 2 months when I first joined this forum. I didn't know everything and nor did I claim to. You all gave me a shot though. Everyone else should be given that same chance.

Everyone appreciates all that you guys do, and the time you give - it's great to have a professionals opinion for free and with your best intentions at heart.

We'll see about who reads it. At the end of the day, a number of people have said and shown that the sticky post at the top isn't the clearest of introductions on how to how to post on the forums.

I saw a need, and tried to do something about it. If no one reads it, then fine, but even if it means that 2 people who come on here with every best intention at heart, don't get slated for posting their image wrong, then that's fine by me.

And in no way do I disagree with you.

Me writing that explanation wasn't a dig at people - it was me trying to make something that is pretty complicated a little easier for those who have not experienced it before.

I'm training to be a teacher - that's just the way I role. If I can teach someone how to do something they don't already know, then I will.

I understand your frustration at people, but I think it boils down to peoples insecurities. People come on here because they want to know "Am I good enough?" A lot of the time they are not good enough for stock, but the great thing about this forum is that everyone has the oppertunity to post no matter what their ability level is. There isn't an entry requirement saying you must know X,Y, and Z (whether you agree with that or not...), and I'm quite glad there isn't. This forum is a place to learn. I had a DSLR for 2 months when I first joined this forum. I didn't know everything and nor did I claim to. You all gave me a shot though. Everyone else should be given that same chance.

Everyone appreciates all that you guys do, and the time you give - it's great to have a professionals opinion for free and with your best intentions at heart.

We'll see about who reads it. At the end of the day, a number of people have said and shown that the sticky post at the top isn't the clearest of introductions on how to how to post on the forums.

I saw a need, and tried to do something about it. If no one reads it, then fine, but even if it means that 2 people who come on here with every best intention at heart, don't get slated for posting their image wrong, then that's fine by me.

Man, you are really good at talking. Maybe you should switch do a BA(hons) in Politics then become our PM? Possible career change?

As to this thread, it is vastly clearer in plain non photographer English than the original sticky. The fact it is a sticky often means it isn't read unfortunately. I think it should just be bumped constantly to the top of the first page, that's all people read anyway.

Good job though. :)

Well the requirements SS made for this forum to post photos is why its messy. Why can they not just take any photo a person uploads and resize it automatically? It cant be that hard, there is simple HTML code that does that. image.jpg I and it can be done to keep aspect ratio as well. You can accomplish this with a stylesheet.

.thumb {

max-width: 500px;

max-height: 500px;

width: expression(this.width > 500 ? "500px" : true);

height: expression(this.height > 500 ? "500px" : true);

Its not complicated at all. Its just a bit of work. Many people that come here just do not understand resizing, viewing at 100% and cropping. But that, in combination with the 500px rule, gives the impression that its complicated. And posting 5968596 links to as many posts, with an endless amount of clutter doesnt help either.

Its not complicated at all. Its just a bit of work. Many people that come here just do not understand resizing, viewing at 100% and cropping. But that, in combination with the 500px rule, gives the impression that its complicated. And posting 5968596 links to as many posts, with an endless amount of clutter doesnt help either.

But when this is the easiest and simplest one that i have seen, surely you should give him some credit?

I understand about the 30593858494 links to similar posts, but this is new, up to date, easy to understand and written exceptionally well.

Back off a little Ron, the kid's trying to help us out, if this had been here when i first posted, i'd have got it right first time. He's simplified it. This should be a sticky.

But when this is the easiest and simplest one that i have seen, surely you should give him some credit?

I understand about the 30593858494 links to similar posts, but this is new, up to date, easy to understand and written exceptionally well.

Back off a little Ron, the kid's trying to help us out, if this had been here when i first posted, i'd have got it right first time. He's simplified it. This should be a sticky.

I am not giving out to Jason at all. I am just explaining the problem with it all. I once posted an excel sheet that could help with stock admin, I got laughed at and ridiculed. So I know the feeling, but I am not slating Jason.

I do agree, that our friends sticky is not written very well and i've seen some that I had no idea what the hell they were talking about. I'll ,if I can get jakes as a sticky.

Rinder, my love for you ever grows.

Jake, When you do go on to a teaching career , What are you going to do with the students

That don't do there homework or are prepared in any way.? I've been teaching Fineart painting and Photography for many years in Classroon settings,workshops and one on one classes. Your never gonna get them all, You try but 50% is the best I can hope for. This craft is not academic, it's creative and just that fact opens up a completely new hurdle. Thats why we have camera salesmen and then we have Photographers/artists. The creative part is very difficult to teach.The tech is easy, Thats just repetition.

I'll work on getting that put up.Gotta go.

It is complicated here, but if you think that's bad, try posting for critique on IS! (Unless, they changed things there; I gave up on their forums years ago.)

Jake, When you do go on to a teaching career , What are you going to do with the students

That don't do there homework or are prepared in any way.? I've been teaching Fineart painting and Photography for many years in Classroon settings,workshops and one on one classes. Your never gonna get them all, You try but 50% is the best I can hope for. This craft is not academic, it's creative and just that fact opens up a completely new hurdle. Thats why we have camera salesmen and then we have Photographers/artists. The creative part is very difficult to teach.The tech is easy, Thats just repetition.

I'll work on getting that put up.Gotta go.

I'll give them a slap round the face and an earful!

Please don't quote me on that... ;)

Posting to the forums is academic - no creativity for that - it's just the stuff beyond that which needs your skills!

That don't do there homework or are prepared in any way.? I've been teaching Fineart painting and Photography for many years in Classroon settings,workshops and one on one classes. Your never gonna get them all,...

The objective of education should be learning not teaching. Traditional education focuses on teaching, not learning. Traditional teaching incorrectly assumes that for a given measure of teaching results in the same measure of learning. However, most of what we learn before, during, and after attending schools is learned without its being taught to us. Most of what is taught in classroom settings is forgotten, and much or what is remembered is irrelevant.

To quote Oscar Wilde; “Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth learning can be taught.â€

Einstein suggested that it is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. And I think Edward G. Bulwer-Lytton put it best when he said; “The best teacher is the one who suggests rather than dogmatizes, and inspires his listener with the wish to teach himself.â€