The Comprehensive Guide for New folks - inc.Posting&Crop

Hello there!

So here you are, investigating becoming a stock photographer and you'd love to get your images critiqued by some of the experts on this site. That's absolutely fantastic, and they love to look at your photos, but they ask one thing in return - that you post the pictures in the way they want. Now this can seem daunting, so I thought I'd write a few pointers for you guys to get started.

1) You cannot post your full sized image. It must be resized.

Images posted onto this site must be below 500 pixels on both width and length. Simply, this means going into your settings on your editing program, and finding the RESIZE tool.

Step 1:

Resize the image to 490 pixels on it's longest size. (In photoshop this can be found under the 'Image' tab)

Step 2:

Save this into an appropriate folder that you will remember...

Step 3:

Name your Photo with the word 'Forum' on the end. For example: landscapesunsetforum.jpg...... ETC.

Call it whatever you like, as long as you can distinguish between your original, your resize and your crop. This way you can easily see which image is the one for critique on the forums.

2) All images look great when they're that small. This doesn't mean they're great when they're big.

This means that the people critiquing on the site need to see a 100% crop of your photo. This sounds confusing, but again, it's pretty easy.

Step 1:

Zoom in to your photo till it is displaying at it's full, proper size. On photoshop, it says 100% in the corner.

Step 2:

You need to crop your photo, again following the 500 pixel rule. Your picture should then look like a very zoomed in part of your photo.

Step 3:

Make sure this new crop is less than 500 pixels in length, and save this new photo as landscapeForumCrop.jpeg.... etc....

The naming of the photo isn't essential, but it really helps to organise yourself when posting. Reviewers need the crop so that they can check your images for focus, noise, artefacts... etc...

**Another option, if you are struggling with this technique, is to use a program that Marcusvdt, an experienced Shutterstock Contributor has created. Not only is this a quick and easy tool, but it takes out the use of photoshop or lightbox to create your crops. This is a stand alone program that is very easy to use. You can download it at the following link:**

http://flashbackfoto.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ResizeCrop.zip

Credit to Marcusdvt for creating such a great tool. Check out this link for more detail.

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125897

3) Check your photos. Go into your folder of Shutterstock where you've saved them, and click on them. They should be very small. This means they are less than 500pixels.

4) So I think my photos are ready - now what?

Come onto the forums, create a new topic (Dont post it in this topic), call it something like "Requesting a Critique" and BOOM - people will be there waiting for you to help you out. If you have more than one photo, you can reply to yourself under your own thread, so that you won't have to keep creating brand new topics each time.

5) If you're posting and it's saying "Download" on the forums, your photo is either A) Over 500 pixels on it's longest side, or B) Too Big a file (Over the size of 256kb). Downgrade the image quality to make the file smaller.

Don't delete your original files though, because those will be the ones you'll submit onto shutterstock (the full size ones)! This is why it needs a little bit of organisation! Once you get into the swing of it, it becomes second nature!

Dictionary of some confusing terms:

OOF: Out of Focus. When they look at your 100% crop it should be as sharp as your original photo. If it looks blurry, I'm afraid it is OOF.

LCV: Lack of Commerical Value. They don't feel anyone would buy it. Stock has a very clear aim in that it's pictures are designed to sell an idea, product or concept. Reviewers can reject your images for this reason.

PS: Simply stands for Photoshop

Lighting: Your photo was shot at the wrong time of the day, or your lighting is off. Landscapes or outdoor shots will most likely be pulled up on lighting if they are shot in the middle of the day, because the sun creates harsh shadows. Just something to watch out for. This could also be a problem with your white balance.

Just remember that people give up their own time to look at your images and give you advice. No one here gets paid to do what they do. Just bare that in mind when you reply to their critique. Plus, they're all amazingly experienced.

Hope that has helped you guys out! Drop a comment onto this thread so we know that it's working :D

Jake

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I use the last link. The one that Marcus posted. http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342

Posted Images

And if the crop comes out larger then 500 whatever you do do not re-size it! Just crop off more till it is below the 500.

Or you can also use these instructions.

HOW TO POST

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117778

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42889&start=0

http://submit.shutterstock.com/newsletter/109/article1.html

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342

And if the crop comes out larger then 500 whatever you do do not re-size it! Just crop off more till it is below the 500.

Or you can also use these instructions.

HOW TO POST

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117778

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42889&start=0

http://submit.shutterstock.com/newsletter/109/article1.html

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342

I use the last link. The one that Marcus posted. http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122342
They should make this thread a sticky and use it to replace the sticky they've had for so long. This one is much more clear.

Thanks mate - I've read the top one and thought it wasn't very 'new user' friendly, so I tried to make this one fool proof.

God I love it. A new comer who takes the time to do things the right way. Makes me happier than a puppy with two peters :)

:D I'm glad I've made you so happy! Just thought it needed re-explainining.

PS - My images got accepted this morning (The old people) - 1 has sold already! :D

God I love it. A new comer who takes the time to do things the right way. Makes me happier than a puppy with two peters :)

PS - My images got accepted this morning (The old people) - 1 has sold already! :D

Congrats on your sale Jake and tbh I found the 'crop' sticky a little unclear to begin with. Your explanation is a lot easier imho. To expand maybe some step by step 'how to's' for popular editing software might help newcomers?

Pete.

4) If you're posting and it's saying "Download" on the forums, your photo is either A) Over 500 pixels on it's longest side, or B) Too Big a file. Downgrade the image quality to make the file smaller.

Jake

256Kb Maximum file size

God Jake we have been telling new comers how to do it for years and years and years in many different ways. A few look for how to do it but most just don't bother and post how they want. Stick around for 5 years and you will be saying the same thing :)

God Jake we have been telling new comers how to do it for years and years and years in many different ways. A few look for how to do it but most just don't bother and post how they want. Stick around for 5 years and you will be saying the same thing :)

A 'concise' explanation might help? 'sticky' is riddled with ambiguity? / poor explanation? Me?-I winged it and *hoped* i'd gottit right.

A 'concise' explanation might help? 'sticky' is riddled with ambiguity? / poor explanation? Me?-I winged it and *hoped* i'd gottit right.

That old sticky is just one of many that we had put up over the years as well as posting thousands of times how to do it in plain simple language. It is just that most do not even try to search for the answer.

From your mouth to God's ears guys. We have been saying the exact thing that you are for years and years and years. Problem is that even when we have succeeded in getting a sticky put up it seems as if people still do not read it. Many of them just post without reading a dang thing.

I don't understand it but so many don't bother to read what is right in front of them. Ever notice how when something strange happens and someone posts it on the forums that you will suddenly see a half a dozen more threads started on exactly the same subject. Many don't bother to read to see if it has been reported already they just jump right in and start another thread.

I don't think it is ever going to stop unless it is gone about in another way and here is how it can be done. Before someone can even get into the forums they are presented with a window that has directions on how to post images. They must then complete a very short two or three question test on what they just read. If they get the answers right it unlocks the doors to the kingdom and they can enter :)

So Jake God love you for doing this. Just understand that it has been done many times before and unfortunately will will probably be done many times in the future. But, every little bit helps so all new comers please read, understand and follow the instructions contained herein. If you don't, poor Jake will be sitting here in 5 years saying exactly what I have said to him to some other wonderful new comer who took the time to try and get things done right :)

Well if Jake keeps bumping it every two hours for the next 5 years, it almost like a sticky

;)

I'll apologise now for you guys, but it's gotta help some new people, even if only 50% of them read it, just be glad you won't have to tell those 50% ;D

I never understood it at the beginning.. waaaay to complicated with regards to the 100% crop.

And i agree with Jake, the slamming posts to newbies are sometime quite shocking. Though i do understand it gets incredibly annoying.

Maybe keep this handy and then when someone posts incorrectly, C&P it as a reply. They can't miss it that way!

P.S Jake, you must have been incredibly bored of studying to write this out! Aren't you supposed to be at Uni? Or not this year?