The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

If they want to live in the US, they have to learn English like everybody else.

Absolutely true.

I wish i knew how to speak and understand Spanish and Japanese so i would know what they all were saying.

Rudy i thought everyone in your neck of the woods spoke Cuban?

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

You'll probably sleep before i do... working the graveyard shift until 8 am ;(

Well in that case, I sure hope I sleep before you do LOL

Spanish in Miami is really really bad. It is a pet peeve of mine. When I came to the US I had to speak English and so should they. It's my only gripe and otherwise we all get along just fine.

I love the nature down here and I love the Everglades. If (when?) we move to the NW, the Everglades is probably tho only thing I will miss.

As far as my pesticide pictures goes, I don't even know if that is pesticide (probably is) Could be something else, but "pesticide" sells better. Anyway, they are all done with a telephoto, so I was OK. Sometimes I see those people all dressed in white, their heads covered and everything spraying something. That's definitely nasty stuff. I am still trying to take some pictures of them. It's on my to do list.

Barry - What do you think they speak in Cuba?

lol Barry ... I agree that people should make an effort to learn the language of the country they move to.

We live on a small rural Island, not much of anything going on except for a bit of tourism in the summer, and hunters in the fall...we love it. The sidewalks pretty much roll up at 6:00. :)

http://www.manitoulin-island.com/

paint me jealous, only I am not sure that I could cope with your winters ....

I see Cuban is Spanish oh well.

And yes Wendy everyone should be required to speak the language of the country they live in it would make life so much easier on everyone around them.

In some countries i hear it is required to learn to speak their native language.

Chris - most people do embrace the history of Florida. It is actually a big thing in Florida. Personally I am very interested in it. None of that is the problem though. I think you have to live in Miami for a while to experience what it is like when you go to a regular grocery store and you ask something in English and you have to search for somebody who actually understnads what you're saying. It is very tiresome and frustrating. Forget (and I mean forget) finding a job if you don't speak Spanish. Not even at McDonalds. There are some Spanish only elementary and high schools with no english whatsoever. English is simply not part of the package because it is considered as not needed. These schools are not for foreign diplomats or anything, but for regular people that work and live here like everybody else.

There is a famous story of a Columbian actress who was asked why she likes living in Miami and she answered because it is so close to the United States. Whether this story is true or not, it is pretty much the mentality in Miami.

All this is is just in Miami. You see there is a big big difference between Miami, South Florida and the rest of Florida. Almost like 3 different countries. Despite all this, there really is no "us and them". All different cultures and nationalities live pretty much in harmony down here.

BTW, Florida history is not all Spanish. That is more in central and north east Florida. There are also native Americans who were here in the south before the Spanish arrived. Miccosukee and Seminole indians in particular. I live about 5 miles from the Miccosukee indian reservation.

Agreed on learning the language of the country you live in. I work in a refugee center and it always makes me cringe when people say they dont need to learn dutch because they speak english already and most people understand them. My standard reply is that when you come over to build a new life, learning the language is the very important first step. It opens a lot of doors to jobs (and thus a better life) and when someone sees you're willing to make the effort they'll respect and appreciate you more as it's seen as a sign of goodwill. Ah well...

wendy, lets move to kelly in the summers and early autumn (must be wonderful there with autumn colors, i really envy your place kelly!)and spend the winters with rudy while he's still living in Miami! (or we could go camping in the outbacks in australia in winter too).

apotterdd, i know its natures way (well no, in the wild the rat would be alive) but i still couldnt do the feeding part i think. (maybe because i had Juleke, a very sweet pet rat)

I leave the room when he gets fed. I don't like hearing the baby mouse squeal. So I either leave the room, or, like last time, leave the house. I can't handle it. It'll be better when he gets bigger and I can handle watching him feed on something that's not going to make cute noises because it's not alive.

Yeah, that sound of the little mice must be like the silence of the lambs! ("i still can hear them cry at night") *shiver*

Hmm, the australian outbacks arent an option for spending the winters then. Not fair, in the Flying Doctors it always was summer ;)

ugh, i should stop posting, my brain degenerates quickly at this hour...

goodnight :)

Night shevs. I'm finally outta here too after I just realized 4 of my rasters have gone AWOL again from my last accepted. This has become a weekly thing with me I swear. And the thing is I didn't see it till a few minutes ago so who knows when they *bleeping* disappeared.

Check yer ports to make sure they're correct.

lol Lobke, you are right it always looks like summer on flying doctors. That's because it is sunny for the most part out there. Not much rain! Just the night time temps can get cool. G'dnight!

Anita my last few approvals are missing too .. they were there ... not now! This does seem to be an ongoing problem lately!

Morning peeps.

It's 72F muggy nasty rainy out there right now.

And we are on the way to winter.

At 5:05am this morning the sun crossed the Equator signaling the arrival of fall.

And i still havent found my Christmas stuff yet. I have two bins with stuff in them and one has my new Santa suit but none of the new ornaments i bought so i dont have any idea where to start.

Whats gonna happen is i will find them next year after everything is done and over with.

Morning peeps.

It's 72F muggy nasty rainy out there right now.

And we are on the way to winter.

At 5:05am this morning the sun crossed the Equator signaling the arrival of fall.

And i still havent found my Christmas stuff yet. I have two bins with stuff in them and one has my new Santa suit but none of the new ornaments i bought so i dont have any idea where to start.

Whats gonna happen is i will find them next year after everything is done and over with.

Oh dear ... none of my Christmas stuff is any good, no money to buy any new stuff either so I dont know what I am going to do lol ...

Nah she doesnt go near it neither does my Daughter they both know better.

I have the Santa suit and the fake snow but just cant figure out where the ornaments are?

I bought some new ones at Wally World last year when they went on sale and brought them home and usualy they go right to the bin.

I have all of the new Halloween stuff as well i have feet,hands,fingers,caution tape and fogger it's just the dang ornaments.

Good morning guys and gals.

Barry, I'm sure you'll find it, ask your wife, she likely moved it, lol.

Rainy here too but still not too cold.

I stepped on Buddy's outside water dish and got a nice soaker this morning. :/

Good night Wendy. :)

Good morning Kelly, I am just heading out, burning the midnight oil to go see a gig ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gang_Gajang

Wont be worth much tomorrow lol, I am not much good after a late nigh :)

Hey i think the original thread may be working but i need someone with a decent internet connection to check it!

I tried and got on but it was slow and slow happens to me with a satellite and rain which it is today.

So someone do a double take and see.