The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Lobke - Belgisch Trekpaard sounds perfect to me. That's the common name in Holland as well. A good translation into English would be, I think, Belgium plough or plow horse. Not 100% accurate, but it seems closer to what these horses were used for. (originally they were used for the crusades waaayy back) They are my second favorite horse. I am sorry, but Frisians are first and that brings me to your question. I was born and raised in Holland - Haarlem) and moved to South Florida in 1989 thanks to my wife who happens to be from Miami. :)

I love your name "Lobke". It has a warm and cozy ring to it.(you might want to explain how to pronounce it. LOL)

Feel free to throw a major fit about "French" fries anytime. :)))

Belgium (not Belgian btw? ;)) plow horse sounds excellento! Totally agreed on the Frisians; they're such beautiful, gracious yet powerful horses. My cousin used to breed them and as young teenager i practically used to live on his farm... ahh, good memories :)

(he also had a vicious Hafflinger, i'm pretty traumatized by that breed...)

My name actually comes from Friesland; around when i was born they had 'Sil de strandjutter' on dutch television and apparantly Sil's girlfriend was called 'Lobke'. (pronounced as its written: Lob-kè)

Aha, so you're a 'uitgeweken Hollander' Rudy! ;p smart move, i'd trade gray rainy belgium for sun all year round too... and even more so when there's love as extra incentive!

Pity to hear your veggie gardens went wrong this year ladies :(

I had a pretty good year here (loads of courgettes, potatoes, pumpkins, radishes, carrots and all sorts of beans.) We had a crappy summer but a good one for gardening, a lot of rain and still warm with the sun peeking through now and then.

(eep, and of course we dont have snakes! )

• Replies 46k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

Lobke - you're right, it is Belgian horses and not Belgium horses of course. (I did say it wasn't 100% accurate LOL)

Living in Miami has, like everything else, good points and bad points. It can be very challenging from time to time. I actually would love to move to the North West (Washington State)

Although I remember "Sil de strandjutter", I don't think I ever watched it. I sure don't remember his girlfriend. I also never knew that Lobke is Fries. Learn something every day. :)

I am happy that you decided to hang out here. It is pretty much the only thread I am on. Since a couple of weeks or so, I really don't care to participate in most other threads anymore.

Mornin all!

Glad you had a nice birthday evening Rudy. Decent sleep, what is that, I have not had any for months ... I hope you get success with your copyright appeal.

I agree Barry up early does make for a long tiring day! I hope you found the stuff you wanted to shoot Barry. (I can never find anything round here lol)

As for summer/winter sales, I don't have enough real stats to make a call on that.

Yippee sari I hope the rain hangs around a while to do some good.

Thanks for the info on your government Lobke. We almost had a similar situation here, the independents hold the balance of power and some of them are very radical. We could lend you some snakes if you like. We have plenty :)

Anita that bulb technique is the one that I used when I try. No flash needed the long exposure means that you get to see the landscape. Of course make sure you are under cover when shooting :)

Vege gardens ... I kill everything I put in. I forget to look after it lol.

Glad the school email system decided to catch up.

Sheesh who put super grow on page 12?

Kelly I am not getting good enough sleep lately to get dreams of any kind ... makes the days kind of foggy lol.

I looked at the lightbox, they don't put many pics in them ...

Yeah I planted mine a week too early and we got hit with freezing temps and snow :(

Nope inside next year in potting soil then transplant outside the last week of May. I will have a veggie garden next year darnit!

Killed my flower garden too aside from the iris' those actually almost all bloomed this year.

G'morning Wendy.

Barry did that and yes, they're cheap with the lightboxes. :/

Anita has a black thumb, hee hee. ;)

Me too :(

Lol, how in the world did you manage this!?

stock-photo-far-west-chicken-84385423.jpg

That's terrific!

Awesome port!

x2

That is an awesome pic. I can't believe it is at the bottom of your port (sorted by popular)

I agree it's great!

G'morning Wendy.

Barry did that and yes, they're cheap with the lightboxes. :/

Anita has a black thumb, hee hee. ;)

Me too :(

That's terrific!

Awesome port!

x2

That is an awesome pic. I can't believe it is at the bottom of your port (sorted by popular)

I agree it's great!

Wendy, stop eating the *good* bugs and your garden will thrive! XD

That's terrific!

Awesome port!

Thanks for the compliment Kelly; right back at you too, your port is simply amazing! it has this warm glow over it, i love it!

Hehe, the chicken is almost all photoshop. Put her in the studio to get a frontal shot, bought a kids plastic cowboy set and glue'd it all on in PS. (she's an awesome chicken btw; always escaping the pen and following me wherever i go in the garden...where i am she is :))It doesnt sell too well though, its online for almost 2 weeks now and only has sold 2 times ;(

Rudy, do you live in Miami city itsself? I escaped Antwerp city 2 years ago to live in a small village and i never could go back to the citylife again; it felt like i couldnt get oxygen anymore; people and traffic, and more people and traffic everywhere....

The only thing ive seen from the states are many of its airports, but when i think Washington i think Seattle, and when i think Seattle i think Kurt Cobain (i was a big fan back then ;)) telling about how gray and rainy it mostly is? Or isnt it?

Wendy, thanks for the 'snakes' offer, i think we are well-supplied already though ;) Maybe we can ship them all off to some remooooote island and let them do their snakey things there amongst eachother.

I'm all for!

Edit: yipers, this thread moves fast!

Wendy, thanks for the 'snakes' offer, i think we are well-supplied already though ;) Maybe we can ship them all off to some remooooote island and let them do their snakey things there amongst eachother. I'm all for!

I don't think our pet gopher snake Striker would like that too much :P

You did a really good job with your Chicken Sherrif. I can't even tell that it's photoshopped. I'd guessed the boots were but not the rest of it. Awesome job :)

What have you all been a bunch of hermits or something i remember seeing the Chicken on show your newest or somewhere along those lines.

And then sometimes this thread turns out to be a slow boat to China.

Yes i grew page 12 Anita needed some info and that is the link for her.

Editing right now.

50/50 split on these ones so who knows.

That's terrific!

Awesome port!

Thanks for the compliment Kelly; right back at you too, your port is simply amazing! it has this warm glow over it, i love it!

Hehe, the chicken is almost all photoshop. Put her in the studio to get a frontal shot, bought a kids plastic cowboy set and glue'd it all on in PS. (she's an awesome chicken btw; always escaping the pen and following me wherever i go in the garden...where i am she is :))It doesnt sell too well though, its online for almost 2 weeks now and only has sold 2 times ;(

Rudy, do you live in Miami city itsself? I escaped Antwerp city 2 years ago to live in a small village and i never could go back to the citylife again; it felt like i couldnt get oxygen anymore; people and traffic, and more people and traffic everywhere....

The only thing ive seen from the states are many of its airports, but when i think Washington i think Seattle, and when i think Seattle i think Kurt Cobain (i was a big fan back then ;)) telling about how gray and rainy it mostly is? Or isnt it?

Wendy, thanks for the 'snakes' offer, i think we are well-supplied already though ;) Maybe we can ship them all off to some remooooote island and let them do their snakey things there amongst eachother.

I'm all for!

Edit: yipers, this thread moves fast!

Well thank you very much for that.

Wow, you've got major PS skills!

Give it some time, it's really unique, and cute. ;)

Thanks again for the compliments!!

It really wasnt that difficult, just shoot the items apart in the direction they have to come on the chicken, and then just cut and glue + add some shadowing :)

The 2 times it sold was today, maybe it did 'pick up' a bit! (or there just isnt a big market for sheriff chickens)

ruxpriencdiam i think you've seen it in the 'should this forum be regulated' (or something) thread.

apotterd: we'll send only the political snakes off!

Striker probably is a cute fluffy bunny compared to those snakes! (don't tell me it lives up to its name though please ;))

The boyfriend caught him in the road and he tried to pick him up and he tried to act like a rattlesnake and strike him so he got a grocery bag and went to pick him up again, he took a strike and got wrapped up in the bag.

He was a baby when we got him sucker has gotten twice as big and twice as long since we've had him.

I live way south on the outskirts, bordering an agricultural area with farmland and lots of nurseries, tree farms that sort of thing. The agricultural pics in my port are mostly from that area.

Although not that much, I still have to deal with traffic and people. That's one of the challenges I was talking about. The other challenge is that 99% speaks Spanish. 1/2 of that doesn't speak any English at all. I don't speak Spanish and if I want to talk to my neighbors, their 10 year old son has to be the translator. I refuse to learn Spanish. If they want to live in the US, they have to learn English like everybody else.

I don't want to move to Seattle, but more like to the Portland area. Seattle is too big, has too many people and too much traffic just like any other big city. Seattle does have a very interesting music scene though. The weather there seems very similar to your neck of the woods. That's a drawback. On the other hand, some Dutch People I met and live in the NW say it rains a lot less than in Holland and Belgium.

P.s. Everybody is right about your port!

Why are you still up anyway, shouldn't you be sleeping by now?

The boyfriend caught him in the road and he tried to pick him up and he tried to act like a rattlesnake and strike him so he got a grocery bag and went to pick him up again, he took a strike and got wrapped up in the bag.

He was a baby when we got him sucker has gotten twice as big and twice as long since we've had him.

Ahaa, in the meantime i wikipedia'ed gopher snakes and it said they do exactely what it did to your BF as defense... acting and posing like a mean viper, but being really harmless. Love the silly ingenious ways of nature.

It didnt say what they eat... do you have to feed it poor little chicks and mice etc?

ruxpriencdiam: i hope so!

Rudy: i never knew Miami has a lot of spanish speaking peeps; i always thought that was the states bordering to Mexico. One learns something new every day indeeders!

From your port the area looks very nice; although standing nearby shooting when they're spraying pesticides can't be healthy mister!

From what i can see on google's Portland area pics it looks a bit like what i imagine Alaska or parts of Canada to look like...stunning mountains with big forests... and that in combination with being near the ocean, can't be bad! :)

You'll probably sleep before i do... working the graveyard shift until 8 am ;(

Barry I don't tend to frequent many of the other threads ... this one moves fast enough for me! (and distracts me from working :( O)

Lobke I think it would be a major effort to round up all our snakes. I don't mess with them because I never know which a venomous and which ones aren't!

Well done on shooting the bits for the sheriff chicken!

I live 13km away from the CBD of our state city. Too many cars, too many people, too much noise and too much everything else! I would much rather be in the country ...