• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

17 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

That staff rotation indeed sounds exhausting thing. Why that has to be done? 

I think they rotate because this position is not their actual job with the state government and they need to get their actual work done too. So they take turns working one week so no one person has their job interrupted. It went pretty smoothly. They both worked side by side today for the entire shift so the oncoming person knows what the changes have been and can slip into the role fairly seamlessly. And the PA (physicians assistant) extended to the end of this month. You have to remember most of us are hundreds of miles from home living in hotels so we all rotate Ho,e for a week or two then most will come back for another rotation. 

Sari, poor chickens! Sounds like a good time to reinforce their enclosure and maybe add chicken wire or hardware cloth to the floor so the bigger animals can’t dig under to get in. Of course, that doesn’t help much if they won’t stay in it 😔

Yeah I found a spot where the chicken wire had rusted and broken off from the board that was holding it, so small enough animals could walk through that spot 😐

I fixed it, but chances are I don't have any chickens left. The two I had left yesterday were really hard to find after they escaped, and I couldn't put them back in as I couldn't catch them. I guess I will see later on if there's 0, 1 or 2 of them...

Ohh! I see the black hen outside the barn. So that's 1. Hopefully the other one is there, too...

On 9/13/2021 at 4:17 PM, Sari ONeal said:

Yeah I found a spot where the chicken wire had rusted and broken off from the board that was holding it, so small enough animals could walk through that spot 😐

I fixed it, but chances are I don't have any chickens left. The two I had left yesterday were really hard to find after they escaped, and I couldn't put them back in as I couldn't catch them. I guess I will see later on if there's 0, 1 or 2 of them...

Ohh! I see the black hen outside the barn. So that's 1. Hopefully the other one is there, too...

Oh, that sounds bad. Hope your chickens will be safe 😮 

Well I only had one left yesterday... the other one disappeared as well.

I'm sure I will figure out very soon if my reinforcements and fixes to the chicken run worked, or if the last one fell victim to predators as well.

Rural life 😐

(I love rural life, really, but it can be harsh. It's fall and all the wild baby animals that were born earlier this year have grown now enough to be hunting around for food, and they're all hungry)

Oh, the chickens!

Yesterday evening the one hen that I thought had been eaten showed up; I don't know where she'd been for the last few days. So, I literally chased her for an hour before I was able to catch her, and put her in the "hopefully predator proof" chicken run with the black hen. I think they're both happy to not be alone now.

Glad to hear you found the missing chicken Sari. Fingers crossed for you that the run is secure. 

Patrick, Wendy wanted me to let you know she is unable to access the forums. She is upgrading to a new computer and the new computer isn’t letting her log into the forums. 

Just saying Hi

Glad you chicken is okay Sari.

We never had Coyotes in all the years I live is South Florida, but now we do. Even in urban areas. They are not in my particular neighborhood yet, but that's only a matter of time I suppose. That won't be good since we have 6 or so stray cats we take care of and a lot of small wildlife that has "pick me" written on their foreheads. (i live on the outskirts of Miami-Dade County. 5 minutes from farmland and nurseries)

We used to get coyotes all the time when we lived in So Cal (in Irvine) but in Nor Cal where we are on the island, we rarely see them. A lot more raccoons this year than in the past though. Thinking the fruit trees are probably attracting them to our yard. And also the wild Turkeys. They seem to have just moved in. Seeing them almost daily walking through the yards foraging for food. But no actual predators (except maybe the hawks, but I don’t think they’d go after the neighborhood cats).

Hi Ruuuudeeeh, and thanks :)

I've been thinking about maybe getting some more chickens so the two hens could have some company. They only had standard size chickens at the feed store when I went to get feed today, and I'd rather have the little bantams. They had baby ducks, too, but I think they would be happier if they had access to water so they can swim, and I don't have that.

I hope they coyotes keep away from your place, they can go through all your animals in a hurry :(

On 9/17/2021 at 2:22 PM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Patrick, Wendy wanted me to let you know she is unable to access the forums. She is upgrading to a new computer and the new computer isn’t letting her log into the forums. 

Sheila, thank you for passing along the message. I am sorry to hear that. I can relate to this.....Ive had weird issues in the past that prevented me from posting here. Wendy, I hope your issue can be resolved.

Patrick, considering the person has only posted twice, chances are you’ll never get to know them. Just another spammer. I don’t click on links either.

Sari, love seeing your local wildlife. The wildlife we’re getting at this hot remote location consists of bugs and some really BIG rats. One of those made an appearance last night.

Sheila exactly. She's just another spammer to me. I saw her other post (also postage related) with another link.

So I'm curious.....did you encounter a big rat last night?

Rats used to be a bit more common in my city years ago. I used to see them mainly in the botanic gardens and on the bank of the local river. It was quite amusing as the rats in the botanic gardens had gotten really used to people being around and were very casual in their presence and out in the open. There was one just ahead of my feet as I was walking along (it wasn't in any hurry to get away.) Though if I go to the gardens these days, I won't see a single rat. I wonder if they've poisoned or trapped them.

There's been only one time where Ive photographed a wild rat. It was climbing up a brick wall on the side of our home. It was trying to get away from our cat and was probably really stressed and full of fear. I used a 75-300mm zoom (was shooting on negative film.) I'd like to find the prints and negatives again. 

Actually, this reminds me of another rat experience I had at the same house (a number of years ago.) A rat was inside the house (I think one of our cats was responsible for it being inside.) I was in the lounge room at the time with the door closed. My parents were trying to catch it in the hallway. It sounded quite amusing as I could hear some screaming and panic.

Then the rat crawled under the door and entered the room that I was in. I happened to be close to the door and as soon as it came through, I picked it up by the tail. I then released it outside over the back fence.

A few days later, the very same rat was inside the house again (this time in the bathroom.) Once again, I picked it up by the tail and released it outside. And that was the last that I saw of it.