The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Yeah, SS still had decent pricing 16 months ago. Then they pushed it off the cliff and it's been a nose dive ever since.

If anything, it will only get worse, not better.

Sheila - that's amazing. Such dedication! But you gotta love it when you're doing it at that level :D

Wendy - did you remove them or deactivate? So sad :(

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

Sari, I think she actually removed them one by one vs just turning off her port. More final that way :(   As for the cake decorating, yeah. I had a lot of fun with it. I've been developing arthritis in my hands in addition to the carpal tunnel and tendonitis I've been dealing with for years so it's gotten quite difficult in recent years to do the specialty cakes. Esp the larger ones. Hurts really bad to squeeze the piping bags with the thicker frostings needed to make flowers, etc. I'm glad my supplies will be used. I've been meaning to start ebaying them but that's just so time consuming and mundane that I haven't gotten around to it either.

For now, I have to deal with the crapola here because I still make most of my income from SS. Last month was defnitely terrible, but I made the minimum payout yesterday for this month already and those were not due to large video sales. I still make only about 25% as much from Adobe. I have been thinking about dropping BigStock though. The earnings there have been slowly dwindling over the past few years. Thinking that ship is more underwater than the rest.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Sari, I think she actually removed them one by one vs just turning off her port. More final that way :(   As for the cake decorating, yeah. I had a lot of fun with it. I've been developing arthritis in my hands in addition to the carpal tunnel and tendonitis I've been dealing with for years so it's gotten quite difficult in recent years to do the specialty cakes. Esp the larger ones. Hurts really bad to squeeze the piping bags with the thicker frostings needed to make flowers, etc. I'm glad my supplies will be used. I've been meaning to start ebaying them but that's just so time consuming and mundane that I haven't gotten around to it either.

For now, I have to deal with the crapola here because I still make most of my income from SS. Last month was defnitely terrible, but I made the minimum payout yesterday for this month already and those were not due to large video sales. I still make only about 25% as much from Adobe. I have been thinking about dropping BigStock though. The earnings there have been slowly dwindling over the past few years. Thinking that ship is more underwater than the rest.

My unprofessional opinion is that your portfolio is so huge and diverse, that it's maybe going to take quite long until it impacts there with full strength. 

My impression of Adobe Stock is that lots of heavy editing has to be done to the photos and they also like generated things.  

That's also why I started again doing more 3d-renderings, because I know that I can create quite fast images from popular topics. 

I took the off one by one as Sheila said. My anxiety levels were going through the roof so I am better away from here.

If the answer on Twitter is to just remove the post then that shows the attitude. It's not a problem if no-one acknowledges it.

I was sad to leave but cant keep going when it was making me physically sick.

MrS I dont do heavy editing for AS and my sales there are starting to improve. Quantity is not as big but income is way better than here.

Sheila the reason I spread my assets around was so I was not heavily invested in one site, I got burned when I dabbled in exclusivity at IS, never again!

Wendy, sorry to see you making that decision but at least we can still email and keep in touch via FB :)  As for sites, I submit to about 8 different sites so I'm pretty diversified in that respect. But approx 80% of my earnings come from two sites. Here and Adobe. The rest is sprinkled from other stock sites and POD, plus the greeting cards but that's no big earner by any means. Like stock, one needs thousands of assets in diverse categories. Although I think they cap the contributors at 5000. You have to delete to upload if you exceed that if I remember correctly.

MrSorbias, Adobe is also more into lifestyle imagery for their sales too from what I gleen from the discord channel. People who have more model released imagery sell a lot more. I'm just not the person to do model release imagery on any kind of a regular basis. I do have some, but it's probably less than 5% (if even that high) of my portfolio. Editorial is my biggest seller by far and adobe doesn't take those except for what they call illustrative editorial) which is not the same as what SS classifies as such.

9 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

I took the off one by one as Sheila said. My anxiety levels were going through the roof so I am better away from here.

If the answer on Twitter is to just remove the post then that shows the attitude. It's not a problem if no-one acknowledges it.

I was sad to leave but cant keep going when it was making me physically sick.

MrS I dont do heavy editing for AS and my sales there are starting to improve. Quantity is not as big but income is way better than here.

Sheila the reason I spread my assets around was so I was not heavily invested in one site, I got burned when I dabbled in exclusivity at IS, never again!

Yeah, It was just my impression based on their insights. So those are their  bestsellers and I've not seen there photos without heavy editing for very long. But I also think that Adobe overall at this point is one of the sites that are rising, while many other ones are shrinking.

And I agree with Sheila. It for sure looks like that  if we wanted to go into the extreme with this stuff, the model release approach should be the way to go. I've actually started slowly planning to do the models also in 3d. There are tools that allows me to generate all kinds of people.  

Had a nice walk in the city yesterday with some photo buddies hitting some of the historic stairs. My phone says I climbed 35 flights of stairs. And my calves agree with that assessment! LOL. It's been nice to just relax a bit today only doing some basic yard work (like, watering plants).

And the turkeys are getting quite comfortable in the neighborhood. I'm guessing the two we got today are from the brood they recently had. Looked like two young turkeys (couldn't tell if they were male or female since they're probably only about 4-5 months old) and they caused Sebastian to freak out majorly barking at the window as they looked for food in our yard then decided to take a break and sat in the neighbors yard on her fake grass lawn for a good hour. Fortunately, I was able to get the dog distracted so he didn't bark the whole time. He's apparently very territorial.

Just flying low....LOL :)

Not much going on here; the Hummingbirds seem to be migrating -  they were emptying the feeders super fast for about three weeks, and while there are still lots of them around, I don't feel like I have to clean & fill another set of feeders again and again. I was going through a gallon of nectar a day easily. I was making two gallon batches at a time and seemed like I ran out at every turn! 😮

If I'm ever going to get pics of them this year I better hurry up or next chance is in April next year....

Sheila - how's the weather down there?

5 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Regarding that car clip above which I shot at the Royal Adelaide Show, I admit I'm puzzled by a guy on youtube who asked if it was security camera footage. I mean huh!?!?!

Weird .. maybe he thought your were showing someone doing illegal burnouts or something.

I have closed my contributor account here, still on the forum it seems.

I closed my account at BigStock, but I’m keeping SS going. BS is just not worth the hassle anymore. I was making payout monthly then it went down to every other month and now its looking like 3 months or more to make payout. I make more here by far.

Sari,  its triple digits and the humidity is in the 60’s and up most mornings. A bit less as the day progresses but stiflingly hot IMO (esp when I’m used to highs in the 70s). We got flash flood warnings for tonight. Looked like a dust storm earlier too, but we were inside so I just walked out to black and brown skies then a few hours later it was just cloudy but stuffy from the humidity. The work is good though and the people are awesome to work with. I feel like we’ve worked together for years rather than just a few days. I’ll probably take another assignment after this one. I got cleared to draw up the vaccines now too (there’s quite an elaborate process to be cleared for that and TONS of paperwork associated with that particular job, but I’m getting a good work flow going.

3 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Weird .. maybe he thought your were showing someone doing illegal burnouts or something.

That could be a possibility. Yea I admit it was weird. He also asked why I would upload such a video. A very strange individual. 

3 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Oh gosh. That was a big move. But I can't blame you considering the mess we are in right now with SS.

Sheila, I have never submitted to BigStock but Ive heard often that the sales are few and far between generally. I do submit to Dreamstime and sales over there are so rare and I still haven't reached payout yet. But I still submit there. I'm okay with a little bit of money trickling in every once in a while. 

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

That could be a possibility. Yea I admit it was weird. He also asked why I would upload such a video. A very strange individual. 

Oh gosh. That was a big move. But I can't blame you considering the mess we are in right now with SS.

Yes it was a big move considering I have been here since 2008, but I was getting too stressed.

I admit it was a really tense and awkward situation that I was in with SS some time back. It took me so long to join the 0.33c club with subscription sales. I thought that I had really accomplished something. Then less than two months later, SS changed the earnings system. That felt like a kick in the guts. I barely had any time at all to enjoy the new earnings before the change. 

13 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

The forum is separate from the rest of the stuff.

Sheila - sounds hot! It's great that the co-workers are good to work with, it's such an important detail to have just right.

We're headed for a high of 96F for today, but at least the humidity is much lower than normal. It's windy, though, so being outside is no fun.

8 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I made first time ever over 1$ sale. That single 1,27 $ is almost 1/5 of my  all time sales in Shutterstock. It also was my 50th sale here.  

Congrats! Hopefully you’ll see more of the same. 

we actually have a staff rotation starting tomorrow with a new site manager and our PA will be off for a few weeks so hopefully the new people will mesh well. The site managers all rotate once a week taking turns between three people. Then they rotate back to the main office in Sacramento. By the end of the day I’m exhausted but it’s more because of the heat than the actual work. 

7 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Congrats! Hopefully you’ll see more of the same. 

we actually have a staff rotation starting tomorrow with a new site manager and our PA will be off for a few weeks so hopefully the new people will mesh well. The site managers all rotate once a week taking turns between three people. Then they rotate back to the main office in Sacramento. By the end of the day I’m exhausted but it’s more because of the heat than the actual work. 

Wouldn't hold my breath for that, but it was nice incident. :)

That staff rotation indeed sounds exhausting thing. Why that has to be done? 

20 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I made first time ever over 1$ sale.

Congrats! Bigger sales do happen. Just keep shooting and uploading pics that YOU like. Oh, and videos, too.

You'll fall out of your chair the day you get one of those NICE ELs or SODs.

I remember my first EL back in the day when they were all $28 a pop, I grinned like an idiot all day long :D

After having a shi*load of those miniature size video sales last month, I actually have two nicer ones this month. Nothing grand really, but totaling about $30, which is certainly better than 25 cents.

Sheila - is it hot indoors or are you having to work outside?

In the other news the wildlife has finally decimated my flock of chickens. Last year I still had dozens of them, and between the snakes eating all the eggs (and chicks?) and most of the youngsters, and coyotes snagging some of the chickens, AND raccoons getting in the loft of the barn and getting the roosting ones from the top of the barn, my entire "flock" is now two hens. TWO. 😐 :(

They're also clearly traumatized from having seen all their buddies get eaten. Poor girlies.