• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

When I see some sort of weird activity in some internet companies whose services I am using, I typically go to see what their ex employees are thinking about it. What do you think about these work experiences in Shutterstock?

Just note: These should be taken with grain of salt, because there are some salty employees, also some overly positive ones too, so I think not all of them are being honest.

Indeed is a website that allows people to write reviews of their old employees. 
 Shutterstock: | Indeed.com

3 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

When I see some sort of weird activity in some internet companies whose services I am using, I typically go to see what their ex employees are thinking about it. What do you think about these work experiences in Shutterstock?

Just note: These should be taken with grain of salt, because there are some salty employees, also some overly positive ones too, so I think not all of them are being honest.

Indeed is a website that allows people to write reviews of their old employees. 
 Shutterstock: | Indeed.com

MrS, the company has always been ethical, I am not sure what has gone on recently that has changed things. I am not sure that past employee reviews can give a good picture of what is happening!

We know that other companies have been hacked at various times, the lack of word from the minions in charge is concerning at this time.

9 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

MrS, the company has always been ethical, I am not sure what has gone on recently that has changed things. I am not sure that past employee reviews can give a good picture of what is happening!

We know that other companies have been hacked at various times, the lack of word from the minions in charge is concerning at this time.

There is not enough reviews that we could do very good conclusions about what is happening there. I still think the reviews somehow have changed more negative after past few years or so. Whatever it is, I think it is interesting to see little bit through it. However, it's far from being scientific. Those are just personal experiences and I've seen awful companies having quite positive feedbacks there too. For example one whose name I am not going to mention, that's recently been accused of awful crimes - having positive feedback from their employees. 

I think they are probably not doing anything that is against law or anything like that. Of course they can select their employees by what ever method they want to, also they can select what ever prices for their photo- and video assets they want to and no one either is in a position to say them if they need to have any sort of customer service for contributors or clients or not. As an independent company they are free to do those decisions by themselves and built their company into what ever direction they want. 

Welp, back to random topics. The vermin that attacked Sebastian seems to have actually been a raccoon. Last night, while I was in Sacramento for the march/rally I was planning to cover, the dog went out at 1:30 AM because he heard the vermin leave through the doggie door (which was not removed) and the raccoon apparently leaped onto Sebastians back and was riding him piggy back. Apparently it must’ve peed on the dog too because my husband said the dog was soaked and it smelled like urine. He had to give him a shower. And the raccoon refused to leave the backyard, just looked at my husband and hissed at him. So apparently, it thinks the yard is his. Not sure what’s attracting it.Maybe the debris that falls from the bird feeder. Or it really likes the cat/dog food we leave for the cat/dog in the kitchen at night. Definitely going to have to remove the doggie door routinely at night. PITB.

As for the March/Rally for voting rights, the march was cancelled because air quality is so bad (visibility is less than a mile in some areas I’d guesstimate) so they just had the rally and on the web site, it had that 500 ppl were planning to participate, but there were less than 100ppl actually there. Good speakers, but not a lot of good photos. Hotel was nice though and I did do some time lapse of the capitol as the sun set. Not the most picturesque with all the smoke haze, but it did add some interesting color to the scene. And some good speakers at the rally. Two of them running for DA in different counties.

He had all his shots and they did a booster I think when he was attacked the first time, so I think he's ok with that. I know he's current with his rabies shots. But the raccoon also didn't seem too actually bite him. I see no wounds anywhere and after about five min, my husband said he was calmed back down and wanted to go back outside for round two.

Sari, the door is a panel that is spring loaded, so it's really not hard to put in and take out. I would just put the "door" on the flap, but I think that would confuse the cat, and the flap could be ripped apart by the raccoon trying to gain entry. Pulling it out and sliding the glass door solidly shut is just a more secure option IMO. And it only takes a few seconds to remove and put back in (a bit longer to put back in because you have to actually line it up, but it's really easy). My husband even let me show him how to do it and he has put it back in several times. he's just too lazy to take it out at night (or maybe it's not important enough to him to bother). It was funny (to me) that he was giving me a run down of Sebastian's behavior during and after a shower. Like I didn't already know. LOL. I'm the one who gives him his showers except for this one time.

Oh, and Wendy, it was a Voting Rights Rally. I'm about halfway through processing the video. Hard to pick which sound bites to keep. I had one that went over the 4GB file size, but I took it into photoshop and converted it to an MP4 and it's significantly smaller now even though it's still theoretically still a 4K clip. Might have to do that more often. I don't know how to set up iMovie to make the mp4 versions vs the .mov

Patrick, my dtr told me it looked like it was trying to mount him to mate with him. Not sure if they do that as a form of domination like dogs do too. But it apparently didn’t hurt him. My dtr was going to grab the hose to spray it when my husband apparently got there and ran at it, so it backed off the dog but didn’t actually leave the yard. It’s definitely not something we’d normally have to deal with in residential areas. Might mention it to the animal control officer (since I see her regularly) next time I’m shooting photos for the shelter and ask her opinion. They might be able to trap and relocate it to a more open nature area. Not sure what they do for cases like this.

Ive just had my first video sale since reactivating my port. And what a shocker - .25c. Absolutely crazy. I have never had a video sale like this before. Previously, the lowest commission Ive had for a video sale was $7.20. 

Incidentally, this is the first time Ive sold a time lapse video. If I get a lot more of these kinds of sales, I'll consider closing my port again. Though unfortunately, I hardly get any sales from P5 these days. 

Sari, I really hate the new normal. I miss the old days where you just needed one or two video sales to make payout for the month.

Now what the heck just happened? I refreshed my dashboard and see that the very same video has sold two more times at the same price - .25c each. And no location is indicated for any of these sales. 

By the way, 16 video sales in a month is a really impressive number but the commissions you received sound awful. 

My number of montly sales for video has gone up since they made their "change" too. Definitely more of the lower end sales, but most of those (for me) are in the $3 range. Still pathetic though IMO. Esp given the review process getting even stricter. One of my clips recently submitted was rejected for noise even though the other clip shot from the same camera at the same time was accepted and both were labeled hazy sky from wildfire smoke. Visibility is crap around here most days. Although today we have a fairly strong breeze that seems to be coming from offshore, so hopefully it'll blow it away. But that also means it's going to blow in to the inland states nowhere near the fires.

My BIL contacted me to do some photos for him but i"m not sure how to bill them. He says his company will pay for them, I just need to invoice them. Any thoughts? The topic I'm totally capable of creating and I won't upload the images to stock (he wants images not widely in distribution already).

Sheila - I have no experience on the subject, but how much you bill depends on whether they want the rights to the images or if you keep the copyright. Chances are, they may not want the images being used elsewhere, and if that's the case then you sell them the pics with the rights, and the bill is in a different order of magnitude than just pics you retain the rights for.

I'm sure there are people around here who do that, and have a good idea of how to bill for the work / pics, but I couldn't tell you who those are.

Yeah, I was hoping Jeff would be online and see the post and maybe respond. I know he's done some work like that, but on a larger scale where he shows up on site to shoot for someone. This I'd be doing in my studio and it might take me a day to do all the versions he wants. I still need to actually talk to him (vs texting back and forth) so I can get a clear image of what he's looking for and I wanted to finish the editorial events from Thursday and Saturday before starting on this project.

Yeah, I'll likely wing it. see how it goes. at any rate, he's family so I'd do the imagery for him anyway :) 

Trying to get some late spring cleaning done. Sebastian isn't too impressed with the vaccuum. Still need to work out a better organization system too. I'v been sorting through all my baking supplies as my dtr's husband is starting a home bakery (he finished his chef classes but jobs are few and far between so he can apparently do his "internship" or what ever they call it by doing a home bakery. I have hundreds of cake pans. Sent him a handful of bundt pans plus autumn theme'd pans so he can do some fancier treats for the upcoming holidays. I barely use them anymore so I'm glad he might be able to use them. Next project is to catalog what I have so he can decide what he wants. Probably 30% of my shaped/character type pans are for Christmas. I'm keeping the large igloo one though. I use that for a mold for our holiday salad at Christmas too. Makes dinner more fun that way.

Hundreds??????????

:o😮 :o😮 😮 😮 😮

Whaaaat!

LOL!

I've never heard or seen the word bundt pan, and I had to google it. I just call that a cake pan. Like, to make what I'd call a dry cake.

Then I have a loaf pan and a regular, shallow cake pan. I use them so rarely that finding them is a trick in itself :D

ALL of my pots pots and pans, plus my kitchen-whatever-shredder-mixer thingy fit in a 22"x22"x22" cabinet. EVERYTHING. If it's not in there, I don't have it :D

What is a holiday salad?

LOL Wendy.

Yeah, I might have gotten a bit more enthusiastic than I should've about making cakes back in the day. I did all my kids birthday cakes and some of my best friends kids cakes too, so I have a decent array of character pans. Here's a link to cake central where I used to post all my creations before switching to pinterest. It probably shows more of the "character cake" type pans.

https://www.cakecentral.com/u/10517/SheilaF/gallery?page=1

I've also been slowly thinking that uploading to shutterstock maybe is not worth for me. I've earned 5,01$ from all of this hard work I've done for them. And I've sold here 41 times. In Adobe Stock I've sold 38 times and earned 33,55 $.

So even with lower sales rates, Adobe seem to work better for me. I was hoping that SS would figure out that they are doing mistake by not making photography for them profitable, but it seem to be taking much longer from them than what I was expecting. I guess big ships turn slowly...