The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

I know this is weird, but I watched a video about someone using  just a light pole to record cool cinematic videos. He attached the gimbal to the pole and then camera to the gimbal and made it to look like a low flying drone shot. :) Good trick which I was thinking of using into something maybe. 

Yea Ive seen youtube videos which show exactly the same thing - camera gimbals attached to poles to simulate drone shots. Very clever. And moving the pole towards the house in a slow, steady manner. The results looked very good when done right. The only potential problem is shadow cast by the pole so I guess it's crucial to select the right time of day. 

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

Sari, SS seems to for real doing some damage of their own business with this. 😕

Actually, this is likely good for their business but bad for us. Since SS get a larger share of the sale and we're left with the crumbs. Even if it's a subscription sale with an overall lower price, SS probably get so many of them that they make a lot of money from this. And yea completely unfair for us contributors.

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Yea Ive seen youtube videos which show exactly the same thing - camera gimbals attached to poles to simulate drone shots. Very clever. And moving the pole towards the house in a slow, steady manner. The results looked very good when done right. The only potential problem is shadow cast by the pole so I guess it's crucial to select the right time of day. 

Actually, this is likely good for their business but bad for us. Since SS get a larger share of the sale and we're left with the crumbs. Even if it's a subscription sale with an overall lower price, SS probably get so many of them that they make a lot of money from this. And yea completely unfair for us contributors.

I think it's good for their business for short term, but in long term it means that they are downgrading their service and the professional photographers cannot stay here if it comes out out to be true that Shutterstock had no plan at all of how they would fix their photographers income to be something they can live from. 

I found out that old Nikon D4 cameras nowadays are quite cheap. Around 600 € each or so. Those are probably old sports and news cameras, so maybe hundreds of thousands of photos taken with those and hard to say what will break next. But it would be quite cheap opportunity to get old pro camera. 

Check to see how many shutter activations they have already. I think  @Jeffrey B. Banke would be a good person to consult if he has time before actually buying anything. I know he's gotten a few really good deals on used camera equipment in the past (and you changed your user name Jeff so I had to actually go back to see what it was to try and tag you in this! LOL.

A bit off topic but I'm currently learning how to do a handstand. The reason why I'm keen to do one is because there's a skateboard trick called a Street Plant I would like to do which involves a one handed handstand. If I can learn to do a regular handstand properly, then I'll move on to doing one handed handstands.

By the way, not many skaters do Street Plants anymore. In fact, very few do. They were very popular back in the 1980s. Nowadays, it's almost like a lost art. Pro skater Mike Vallely still does this particular trick and he makes them look so good and fluent. Mike V was a skater in the 80s and still does many of the older tricks.

6 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

A bit off topic but I'm currently learning how to do a handstand. The reason why I'm keen to do one is because there's a skateboard trick called a Street Plant I would like to do which involves a one handed handstand. If I can learn to do a regular handstand properly, then I'll move on to doing one handed handstands.

By the way, not many skaters do Street Plants anymore. In fact, very few do. They were very popular back in the 1980s. Nowadays, it's almost like a lost art. Pro skater Mike Vallely still does this particular trick and he makes them look so good and fluent. Mike V was a skater in the 80s and still does many of the older tricks.

Lol, I was all the time worried of that other guy doing this without a helmet. I have an experience of hitting my head very hard on ice and that experience is one of the worst ones I have. 

46 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

Lol, I was all the time worried of that boy doing this without a helmet. I have an experience of hitting my head very hard on ice and that experience is one of the worst ones I have. 

He looked a bit older than a boy to me! But yea good point about a helmet or lack of. Ouch, that must have hurt falling on ice. Did that happen during ice skating?

5 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I have an experience of hitting my head very hard on ice and that experience is one of the worst ones I have. 

LOL, BTDT :D

I was maybe 6, give or take a year. We had a small ice rink in the yard, as my best friend's dad was the janitor for the building (very small apartment building) and he made us an ice rink every winter. So, I fell backwards and no helmet, of course... my mom said I probably had a concussion and told me to stay put. Pretty sure some puking was involved, as well, not a whole bunch of fun.

I've hit my head a few times, but not hard enough to actually get a concussion as far as I know. Did a controlled fall off a bolting horse and that's the worst time I can remember. I probably should've just stayed on the horse but I didn't think I could get it to stop before running through some low trees so I made a quick decision to bail (I was about 17 y/o at the time). 

2 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I didn't think I could get it to stop before running through some low trees so I made a quick decision to bail

Good call, you REALLY don't want to be knocked off by a tree limb; it's much safer to bail off!

I've come off horses so many times I've lost count, done a few face plants, and once I fell straight on top of my head, but luckily it was on soft grass field so my head didn't get banged up, my neck, however, took months to get back to working order. That's the risk you take with horses...LOL!

The "worst" I got hurt with horses was when I did NOT fall off, though. Riding a crazy bucking horse till he stopped got me SO black and blue, it took forever to stop hurting and back to normal colors. It's amazing how beat up you can get when flopping in and out of the saddle time after time. But even then, it was just bruises, although really big ones. Ugh.

And then there's my soccer playing days, when getting hit to the head by someone else's head wasn't unusual. It can get bloody, too, hah! 😛

Fun times, fun times :P

8 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

LOL, BTDT :D

I was maybe 6, give or take a year. We had a small ice rink in the yard, as my best friend's dad was the janitor for the building (very small apartment building) and he made us an ice rink every winter. So, I fell backwards and no helmet, of course... my mom said I probably had a concussion and told me to stay put. Pretty sure some puking was involved, as well, not a whole bunch of fun.

Oh no, we have the same flashbacks :D You almost perfectly described what happened to me... 
I also was something around 6 yrs or so. My sisters friends dad was a janitor, we  were in their place, me and my sisters and there is very close of their home an ice rink. So I fell backwards without helmet. I have no idea how we went back to the friends place, but I remember being quite much in a shock with that pain I suddenly experienced. The memories of what happened are quire fuzzy. 

Am I only one who makes their WB way too warm and then later when you look your own photos, you start thinking that "why I made it that warm?" It happens to me all the time. I kind of wanna have the happy warm feeling, but then I over do it all the time. 

Hmm Mr S you do probably need to dial that back again.

As for ice skating, yes I tried it as a kid, but my feet, body and brain had an argument about how to move and I spent more time saying a close hello to the ice than actually moving.

When it comes to head bumps, I can remember a few. The most serious was during a judo competition when I was 14. As the headache started to clear, the shoulder hurt more, turned out to be a broken clavicle.  No horse riding here.

Any outside images I take right now are very warm unavoidably. The apocalyptic sky adds so much yellow and orange into the shot. All the light going through the wildfire smoke :(

Wendy, broken clavicle is painful. I remember that all too well. That one I did flipping over the handle bars of my bike on a hill. THe back brakes went out and my brain said hit front brakes slowly but apparently my hand locked them up. Not recommended. My bike was toast. Fortunately, some guy tossed my bike into the back of his truck and gave me a ride home. I was lucky he was a nice guy. 

Grilling steaks tonight. Guess I should try and do some photos and video with that. I keep losing my motivation to do anything photo wise with all the puddly sales. Not even 25% of where I was at for August last year. Tres Triste.

Wendy, that sounds painful. I haven't experienced that.

Sari, I was on a horse in Egypt (travelling in a group around the pyramids.) One of the other horses bit my horse and mine did a super quick 180 degree turn in the blink of an eye. The force of the movement was so strong. I don't know how I was able to hold on. Also, the animals in Egypt were often in poor health. The horse that I was riding on had an open sore close to where I was sitting. And by the way, we weren't really properly riding the horses. It's more like we were guiding them. 

And speaking of animals, there were a group of skinny dogs nearby that looked extremely unhealthy. Like they were riddled with disease or something. My natural instinct was to keep a distance from them. Another person in my group said: "Don't touch them." I don't think any sane person would want to touch them or go anywhere near them or get their attention.

Regarding hard knocks on the head, I had a bad one when I was very young. When watching movies, I was really impressed when I saw characters doing acrobatics like somersaults  in the air. So I tried to do one myself. I climbed to the top of my bunk bed and planned to do a mid air somersault from there. Surely, all of that height would give me enough room for the rotation. It took ages to build up the courage to do it as I was standing there on the top bunk. Finally, I jumped and rolled in the air but I didn't have the guts to rotate all the way around and ended up falling directly on my head. The pain was intense and there was no escape from it. I had a major headache for ages.

Thinking back now, I'm amazed that I didn't suffer a major injury like spinal damage or a fractured skull etc. I guess it's like diving into a shallow pool. It was a fair height to fall on one's head. Also odd that my folks did not take me to a hospital to get checked out after I told them what happened. 

I knew a girl who broke her clavicle, and then it wouldn't heal. Finally the DRs decided to put a plate and screws on it to hold it together. The screws kept popping out, they'd be in a couple of days and then pop out and she had to go back to doctor again, over and over. It was like 6 months before it finally healed. Wild 😮

Yeah, horses are herd animals, but - if you're riding a horse you don't know well, always keep it beyond biting / kicking distance from any other horse, because you don't want to get in the middle of it when they decide to clear an intruder (a horse they don't like) from their personal space.

For example, my little mare will get SUPER pissed off if a strange horse comes near her, and even with ones she knows, some of them she doesn't want in her personal space - and there will be biting or kicking.

Wow Sari, that's wild on the clavicle bone not healing for so long. Must've had some kind of bone degenerative issue going on there. Definitely unusual. They didn't do any surgery for me. I had to wear a figure 8 brace for a month or so. I don't recall exactly, but I can see the brace in the photos from my last year in middle school (since we did a field trip to Knotts Berry Farm for "senior" trip, not that we were seniors, but the graduating class trip. I had to get a pass to leave and get to my next class 5 min before the bell rang so I wouldn't be slammed in the halls (as it was a tightly packed three story school building). My dad insisted on that because my first day back I was knocked into the lockers and ended up back in the nurses office. Definitely one of the more painful breaks I'd had as a kid. Fortunately my bones seem to be stronger for my adult years (knocking on wood). I had Rickets as an infant/toddler so that probably didn't help with my early years of bone development. 

Yes the broken clavicle was very painful, like you Sheila I was in a figure 8 bandage, I believe they dont do that any more. I went over the handle bars on my bike quite a few times, didnt break anything from that though.
I think the reality is most people are nice, we just hear more about the not so nice ones :(

Count your blessings Patrick, no broken bone is fun that is for sure :( cool stop motion!

Wow Sari that does not sound good, possible a bit like my Dad's leg break, his has actually not healed.

I can remember one of my girlfriends going horse riding, the beast had a mean streak and rammed her leg into a cliff face and her foot twisted 180 degrees, she had to stay on the horse and ride out because there was no access out where she was. I told her that was the sort of reason I dont ride horses lol!

Wendy, Ive only broken a bone once in my life. I fractured my wrist while skateboarding in the 1980s. 

Gosh that your horse your friend was on sounds crazy. What a beast indeed.

Thanks for the good words on the stop motion! I guess it might be obvious (or maybe not) that there was just a single 360 degree rotation around that pole rather than many rotations. So that one rotation was repeated again and again. I'm not sure if many people can spot the end / beginning point (where the rotation starts again.)

went on a mini photos safari on UC Berkeley campus today (since they don't charge for street parking on Sundays and we figured it wouldn't be too busy) but apparently today is freshman orientation day so the campus was packed. My friend whom I do a lot of little photo trips with can't drive much anymore so I'm her chaffeur for most of these types of events (she just turned 80 this year). Stayed over cast for most of the morning and early afternoon so got some decent images with even lighting as a result. And the squirrels, while not as outgoing as they were several years ago (many of. them are probably less than 2 years old so aren't used to a lot of people since the campus has been closed down) but I brought some unsalted peanuts in the shells for them. I'm sure they'll be my friends if I continue to do that with any kind of regularity. Normally I don't feed the wildlife, but I know the students give them a lot based on their previous behaviour, so I figure at least I'm giving them something that's healthy for them.