The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I don't know why this editorial photo type causes so much trouble in my mind when I am trying to figure out what is allowed and what not. 
Can I reduce noise and some lens errors such chromatic aberration? I think I can. However, can I reduce sensor dust spots? That would cause me to alter the background also slightly if I remove those... But if I don't remove those, shutterstock won't allow me to upload. 
What about fixing perspective? I don't have expensive tilt shift lenses, that can make it happen on field, so I think it's fair that I do the same in image editor. 

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

I don't know why this editorial photo type causes so much trouble in my mind when I am trying to figure out what is allowed and what not. 
Can I reduce noise and some lens errors such chromatic aberration? I think I can. However, can I reduce sensor dust spots? That would cause me to alter the background also slightly if I remove those... But if I don't remove those, shutterstock won't allow me to upload. 
What about fixing perspective? I don't have expensive tilt shift lenses, that can make it happen on field, so I think it's fair that I do the same in image editor. 

Okay, I found shutterstock blog that says this: 
"Although minor edits to enhance documentary images may be acceptable, it is never acceptable to alter them in a way that portrays a subject dishonestly."

I guess it's okay to do those fixes to the photo, because they are minor edit to not alter the scene, but only fix technical problems. 

Announcing: Shutterstock's New Editorial Guidelines - The Shutterstock Blog

yeah, they're more concerned about altering a scene to remove items (like trash, etc) or change it from what it really was. Fixing lens dust esp is always ok. I brighten mine sometimes too and I don't see a problem with decreasing the noise.

wendy, I thought about bringing an actual N95 mask with me JIC, but then I forgot. I usually use one of those for situations where there will be a lot of potential environmental triggers. And for all the early days of mass events during Covid. I only have a few of the actual N95's left though. The best I can find now are the KN95's and they don't make a seal (air gaps on the sides)

20 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

Unfortunately, rejections for noise have become so common now that I run every shot I'm about to upload through the 'denoise' filter as a matter of course.

I didn't see the photo, but if the home is the subject, it's usually best to get a property release. If its a row of homes and they're pretty cookie cutter (similar and typical housing design for the area) a property release is not needed.

Did some interior photos with the wide angle lens I rented for the weekend, and it's not as easy as it looks. I did do some of the historic buildings in our city while I was at it and figured WTH, I might as well shoot some video too. So I did. And they were actually accepted. Big question is, will they sell :D 

City Hall.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1077597674-alameda-ca---aug-15-2021-hd

And next door is the Elks Lodge.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1077597836-alameda-ca---aug-15-2021-hd

I was able to get further back for the Elks lodge so not as much warping of the building. hard to get up high enough for the angle I really wanted but C'est la vie.

On 8/16/2021 at 4:27 PM, Charles Lewis said:

Unfortunately, rejections for noise have become so common now that I run every shot I'm about to upload through the 'denoise' filter as a matter of course.

You seem to like to push your pics to HDR type lighting / colors, and that might be part of the problem.

I've never used a denoise filter, and I don't get noise rejections, either. If I see noise in my pics I do a light selective "cleaning" with a blur tool (by hand), but that can only be used in OOF areas. It's typically sufficient without tearing the pic apart.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I didn't see the photo, but if the home is the subject, it's usually best to get a property release. If its a row of homes and they're pretty cookie cutter (similar and typical housing design for the area) a property release is not needed.

Did some interior photos with the wide angle lens I rented for the weekend, and it's not as easy as it looks. I did do some of the historic buildings in our city while I was at it and figured WTH, I might as well shoot some video too. So I did. And they were actually accepted. Big question is, will they sell :D 

City Hall.

I was able to get further back for the Elks lodge so not as much warping of the building. hard to get up high enough for the angle I really wanted but C'est la vie.

It was a photo of multiple balconies with glass windows, so it was possible to see in every single balcony what was going on. I'll upload it here when I've mixed the stuff enough. 

Renting a lens seems like a good idea. I guess this is being super opportunist. Just record all kind of random stuff and hope someone finds it useful :D

Renting a lens is always a great idea, esp when it's one one wouldn't normally use on a regular basis (and the lens is WAY to expensive to just have to have it in my bag). The rental is only $35 for the weekend (because they're closed on Sat/Sun). normally it's per day but since they aren't open on weekends, I only have to pay the one day rate. Pick it up after 2pm on Friday and drop off before noon on Monday. The full price is over 2K, so I'd rather pay the $35 :)  (plus the bridge toll x 2 I suppose since I have to pay to cross the Bay Bridge into the city each time. But that's what gopros are good for. Getting footage when one has to make that drive anyway).

I have a handful of images I'm going to submit from the experience just for the practice and to see if there's even a market for it. I haven't gotten the property release yet (my printer won't connect to my computer wirelessly so I have to do it the old fashioned way) but she already said she'd sign one. I edited all the photo prints off the walls since I doubt I could get a release for the artwork and it's too much work to try swapping the images on those out for my own work.

14 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

City Hall.

You could always rent a man lift (Cherry picker along with the lens) 🙂

51 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Not very secure to hold a camera with :P

There are some very secure mounts that you can use to attach cameras to poles. And some poles can be solid and stable. And there are heavy duty extendable poles on the market that are designed specifically for photography that cost thousands of dollars. They attach to that thing on the back of a car where a trailer is connected and can extend to 15 meters or higher. They also allow remote operation of pan and tilt. 

Actually, Ive bought a pole recently for elevated photography (but not the super expensive kind.) I could probably get my camera to a height of about 6 or 7 meters with it. 

Jeff, a cherry picker might have helped, but the house is basically built into the side of a cliff. You cant even enter through the front door. No way to get to it easily and no place to park in front of the house. The garage is above and behind the house and you have to traverse through a drainage area to the stairway to the back door. Honestly, I wouldn’t want to live there, but of course, I never told her that. The inside of the house was nice though over all. Needs a lot of work. Oh, and the street is cut in half with the lower half being about 10 feet lower so a drone would have been a better choice but I didn’t bring mine because I’m not very experienced with it and there are a lot of power lines in the area to traverse around.

Sari, bummer on the low price video sales. Not sure why some people get a lot more of those than others. My video sales have been pretty slim this month so far. The entire month has been pretty slim, but then so was last month until the last ten days when I finally started having some actual decent sales. Finished last month slightly ahead of where I was last year for the same month.

Another fire broke out over the weekend about an hour outside of the capitol (Sacramento). Exploded burning over 32,000 acres as of this morning with zero containment. I’m scheduled to be in Sacramento overnight in a few weeks so I might try and go that way before heading home afterwards (if they have the Sacramento side contained anyway - wouldn’t want to go to where there is an active fire). Definitely need to pack a couple of the N95’s I have left since I had such a bad reaction in Colfax and the smoke wasn’t even that bad there at the time.

So frustrating Sari :( 

I'm really enjoying the cinematic setting on the new GoPro Hero 9. I didn't think to use it friday when I went into the city (the clouds were much better then as the wind was blowing all the smoke away from us) but got some decent footage anyway. Hand held through the window that opens in the roof of my husbands car (had it on a small selfie type stick so not totally hand held - it had a strap that went around my wrist too so it wouldn't blow off behind me in traffic). Was able to get it as commercial since no license plates were visible in front of me and the view of the city buildings didn't have signs visible. Hoping I get sales (and not the <$1 ones).

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1077703700-4k-hd-video-driving-pov-across-upper

Sari, I am really sorry to hear about these low ball video sales. Ive just reactivated my video port and I'm dreading getting the same kind of commissions.

By the way, here's an example of an extendable photography pole that is attached to a tripod. I wish I could have one like these but they cost so much (even second hand.)

And here's another pole that's secured to a car trailer.

http://www.aerialhotshots.com.au/elevated-mast-photography/?doing_wp_cron=1629348060.8687028884887695312500

22 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Sari, I am really sorry to hear about these low ball video sales. Ive just reactivated my video port and I'm dreading getting the same kind of commissions.

By the way, here's an example of an extendable photography pole that is attached to a tripod. I wish I could have one like these but they cost so much (even second hand.)

And here's another pole that's secured to a car trailer.

http://www.aerialhotshots.com.au/elevated-mast-photography/?doing_wp_cron=1629348060.8687028884887695312500

I know this is weird, but I watched a video about someone using  just a light pole to record cool cinematic videos. He attached the gimbal to the pole and then camera to the gimbal and made it to look like a low flying drone shot. :) Good trick which I was thinking of using into something maybe. 

Sari, SS seems to for real doing some damage of their own business with this. 😕