The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I did read some article, or blog or something. Can't remember anymore, but they said that most of their revenue is coming from pond5. I am also thinking that it's the most fair agency out there what comes to pricing. However, if I am having the same assets there and here, I bet most would select the products here, because here they don't need to pay me that much and they have no idea how rough this is for the photographers to make any profit from this business. If they were more aware of the problem, I bet many of them would like to help by giving that additional pond5 revenue. 

I've been thinking of making a video about this issue to YouTube. I only have 20k subscribers, but I guess it has potential to reach more people. 

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

The first 2+ years I submitted to P5 I saw almost no activity then suddenly I started getting more regular sales there. Not so much this month so far. I only have 4 sales there for this month, but we are also in summer and many people are on vacation plus covid is causing havoc with the sales.

However, I just caught a unicorn here. I had $140 SOD image sale just pop up on my screen a few minutes ago. Very happy to see that. So they haven't totally disappeared :D 

1677117963_ScreenShot2021-07-27at11_42_10AM.png.c19fa3beded36b344495399f0dc5f1cb.png

37 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

I did read some article, or blog or something. Can't remember anymore, but they said that most of their revenue is coming from pond5. I am also thinking that it's the most fair agency out there what comes to pricing. However, if I am having the same assets there and here, I bet most would select the products here, because here they don't need to pay me that much and they have no idea how rough this is for the photographers to make any profit from this business. If they were more aware of the problem, I bet many of them would like to help by giving that additional pond5 revenue. 

I've been thinking of making a video about this issue to YouTube. I only have 20k subscribers, but I guess it has potential to reach more people. 

If you don't already know about @Alexandre Rotenberg's site, you might find it interesting.  I do, it's full of insights and very well written.

https://brutallyhonestmicrostock.com/

There was a huge campaign last June when the new payment structure came in on Twitter called 'Boycott Shutterstock'. It went on for months + was promoted on the MSG thread ( https://www.[do_not_advertise_other_microstock_groups]/) and some contributors took down their ports in protest but sadly (and predictably) it made no difference.  I think buyers are aware of what has happened re payments to contributors but it's costs that matter to businesses over and above principles (most of the time).

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

I am getting quite depressed of this job. Working like a small animal and getting only little results. These stock agencies are not making it easy for us...

Sadly, Mr S, I think it's a bit late in the day to be making anything substantial from newly created stock images.

There are some super talented people (e.g. @Milleflore Images) who can still add to their success but it's not like it was even when I started (late 2018).

If it's just a hobby though, I hope you can still enjoy the creative side of it.

If new contributors look at it as a serious money making venture,  they might descend into a 'Slough of Despond'.

Hopefully you won't 🙂

4 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

If you don't already know about @Alexandre Rotenberg's site, you might find it interesting.  I do, it's full of insights and very well written.

There was a huge campaign last June when the new payment structure came in on Twitter called 'Boycott Shutterstock'. It went on for months + was promoted on the MSG thread ( https://www.[do_not_advertise_other_microstock_groups]/) and some contributors took down their ports in protest but sadly (and predictably) it made no difference.  I think buyers are aware of what has happened re payments to contributors but it's costs that matter to businesses over and above principles (most of the time).

Probably very big amount of the people who were campaign about it, were photographers themselves. Of course SS knows that they have a very big advantage over their photographers, so it needs way bigger leverage to make any change on this. 

24 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Sadly, Mr S, I think it's a bit late in the day to be making anything substantial from newly created stock images.

There are some super talented people (e.g. @Milleflore Images) who can still make a success of this but it's not like it was even when I started (late 2018).

If it's just a hobby though, I hope you can still enjoy the creative side of it.

If new contributors look at it as a serious money making venture,  they might descend into a 'Slough of Despond'.

Hopefully you won't 🙂

There is my problem that I am not having so much options here. I'm not even looking for "serious money making ventures". I only need something to be able to live, and I am not asking quite much. I already live very cheap compared many. 

It literally looks like that soon there is no career opportunities on almost any profession. The prices will be pushed extremely low with mass production, centralizing all production to bigger units and in those facilities workers will constantly be replaced with automation. One person will be responsible for multiple jobs, but their salaries will not go higher.

Few years ago you could live by being cashier, which is one of the most low paying jobs out there. Now it's common that at least here we have automatic cashing systems, so that one cashier can replace 6 of them by just looking what's happening on the cashing stations.

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

Mr Sorbias what kind of YouTube channel you have? 20k subscribers is pretty impressive, I'm not aware of any channel focussing on stock photography that has this many.

4 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Mr Sorbias what kind of YouTube channel you have? 20k subscribers is pretty impressive, I'm not aware of any channel focussing on stock photography that has this many.

My channel is about 3d-modeling and post processing etc. I've let the channel to die little bit recently, but I think I could do a video about this kind of topic there without stretching too much from the original topic. After all, many 3d-modelers are here too. 

And what comes to the amount of subscribers. 20k indeed sounds quite impressive, but in terms of youtube, it's not actually very much. One sadly cannot be professional youtuber with that amount. I also have a problem with my accent which is additional barrier for the viewers. :)

48 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

There is my problem that I am not having so much options here. I'm not even looking for "serious money making ventures". I only need something to be able to live, and I am not asking quite much. I already live very cheap compared many. 

It literally looks like that soon there is no career opportunities on almost any profession. The prices will be pushed extremely low with mass production, centralizing all production to bigger units and in those facilities workers will constantly be replaced with automation. One person will be responsible for multiple jobs, but their salaries will not go higher.

Few years ago you could live by being cashier, which is one of the most low paying jobs out there. Now it's common that at least here we have automatic cashing systems, so that one cashier can replace 6 of them by just looking what's happening on the cashing stations.

I hope something turns up for you Mr S. You sound talented.

With regard to automation, when I was at school a teacher told us that one day the world of industry would be run by robots and us humans would have lots of time for leisure.

They left out the bit about the companies who used the robots keeping all the money so we don't have the money for the leisure.

We have had a lot of fires up here recently, in fact I was at two fires over the weekend. Got called out to a fire north of us a ways, spent 5:30 PM, and then was asked to go another fire, got home 6:15 next morning. Here is a shot I got of my vehicle and the fire

IMG_0429.jpeg

Jeff - is that a pickup truck with a camper top? 😮

Sheila - congrats on the nice sale! :D  My biggest sale for the month is a mere $22 :( 

MrSorbias - 20K subs is awesome in my book. I don't even have 400, LOL!!!

I have opted to never speak on my videos, mostly because I just don't have anything to say, and also because of that very thing I then stumble on words trying to think what to say. So for me, it's better just to shut the ef up :P

I had a job once where I was expected to carry a walkie-talkie and say things to it in certain situations, but for the first year I refused, because I HATED talking to that damn thing. I just try to avoid talking if not absolutely necessary :D  :D

However, don't be ashamed of you accent - everyone has one, and they're all a little different! I know you must know the hydraulic press channel, and those guys just kill it with their rally english :P

So, don't fret about it.

Anyway, I think people like the channels where the youtuber talks better than the non-talking ones, because that brings them a little closer to the person on the other end. People are social animals, after all!

BTW, I saw you posting on Reddit the other day. The SS eyes are everywhere! 👓

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

I hope something turns up for you Mr S. You sound talented.

With regard to automation, when I was at school a teacher told us that one day the world of industry would be run by robots and us humans would have lots of time for leisure.

They left out the bit about the companies who used the robots keeping all the money so we don't have the money for the leisure.

Thank you very much. We will see what the time will bring us in the future. Things online can also change rabidly. 

34 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Jeff - is that a pickup truck with a camper top? 😮

Sheila - congrats on the nice sale! :D  My biggest sale for the month is a mere $22 :( 

MrSorbias - 20K subs is awesome in my book. I don't even have 400, LOL!!!

I have opted to never speak on my videos, mostly because I just don't have anything to say, and also because of that very thing I then stumble on words trying to think what to say. So for me, it's better just to shut the ef up :P

I had a job once where I was expected to carry a walkie-talkie and say things to it in certain situations, but for the first year I refused, because I HATED talking to that damn thing. I just try to avoid talking if not absolutely necessary :D  :D

However, don't be ashamed of you accent - everyone has one, and they're all a little different! I know you must know the hydraulic press channel, and those guys just kill it with their rally english :P

So, don't fret about it.

Anyway, I think people like the channels where the youtuber talks better than the non-talking ones, because that brings them a little closer to the person on the other end. People are social animals, after all!

BTW, I saw you posting on Reddit the other day. The SS eyes are everywhere! 👓

Yeah, it's a big number, I agree. I was lucky, because there definitely is not much special in me. I just happened to be in correct place in  correct time and suddenly for few years I was only doing videos for youtube. (In 2017 I made a Facebook post and many peoples wanted to see a video about it, so I did it.)
Now when I look backwards, it looks quite bizarre time in my life and I  don't know where should I be going now with this my "career". :D 
I also am not someone who speaks much. As kid I didn't say anything even if someone asked, because I was very shy. I've been compared to hydraulic press channel too, and I've heard, I think quite big piece of all the possible accent related insults people can ever figure out. I decided that I just answer them by the friendly way. It's sometimes hard to kind of "understand" that the person in the video actually is a real person, not just some robot or something.

"BTW, I saw you posting on Reddit the other day. The SS eyes are everywhere! 👓"
You did? Oh no :D 

People who mock accents are stupid idiots, but then oftentimes the youtube comments are a cesspool of human idiocy.

And yeah, I saw an interesting looking pic, and only after that I looked at the poster's name, and saw it was you. Made my chuckle, anyway :)

We're having another "warm" day, the heat index is in the 110F range again.

Thanks Sari. Today is probably my BDE since starting at SS. I increased my monthly income 30% with all the larger sales I got today. 2 SOD's and 2 video sales plus the regular subs and a couple ODD. not expecting anything like this again anytime soon, but would definitely welcome it if it did :) 

Jeff, i was wondering how you guys were fairing with the fires. I know Nor Cal is getting slammed by the one big one that went into Oregon and Nevada. not sure where they are with that one. Last I heard they barely had 10% containment. The last availability survey the CA Health Corps sent out included potential for deployments to wildfire areas to render aide. I put my availability as open through the end of October since they had this survey for the rest of the year vs the way they've been doing it month to month. We haven't had any vaccine clinics in almost two months so I think that part has been used up since there's so much hesitency out there. We've been lucky with the weather that we are getting the SF offshore breeze off the bay so we rarely go over 70F but that won't last I'm sure. We normally have 1-2 really hot weeks in September. Sometimes August.

Yes Sari, it is a pickup, and I guess you might call it a camper shell, but I have some 50 cones, barricades and other equipment in there, including electronic flares, etc.

Sheila, it started early and we have had several fires every week. The second one I went to on Monday morning was a young lady driving too fast (possibly under the influence) lost control, crashed and it was probably her catalytic convertor that started the fire.

This morning, there was a helicopter flying over quite low and heading to the local oval which is usually not a good sign. It often means someone is injured and is going to be airlifted to a hospital. I went out there to see what was going on. Sure enough, there was a stretcher there besides the helicopter as well as paramedics, an ambulance and the CFS (Country Fire Service.) The CFS are a volunteer group and fight fires in rural areas. I don't know why the CFS were needed there as there was no fire in the vicinity. Two CFS women were blocking the entrance to the oval. It looked like they weren't letting anyone in. Perhaps that was their main role there.

I stood outside the oval on the footpath / sidewalk and took some photos of the helicopter. It was a very impressive looking helicopter with bold colours. I knew this was a very sensitive situation with an injured person. As I was in a public space, I could freely choose to photograph anything I wanted as was my right but I only chose to photograph the helicopter. Well, I did photograph a fire truck that was on the oval as well but I mainly photographed the helicopter. I didn't want to offend anyone by photographing anything too sensitive. One of the CFS women walked over to where I was standing outside the fence and told me firmly not to photograph the family. I thought that was an odd thing to say because I was unaware that any family members were. I could only see people in uniforms there (paramedics and CFS members.) I told her that I'm just photographing the helicopter and then she walked away and went back to the entrance of the oval.

Some time later, I decided to shoot some more and the other CFS woman walked up to me and told me to stop taking photos. I told her that I was just photographing the helicopter and she told me that Ive already had more than enough opportunities to photograph it.  She also said that what I was doing was insensitive or something of that nature. I complied.

Later on, it was clear that the copter was about to take off. I went around a gap in the fence (well away from the entrance) and got some photos of the heli taking off. The CFS women were probably aware of what I was doing but Ive no doubt that they wouldn't have been happy about it.

Ive had a few instances over the years of people telling me off for photographing things from a public place. From a legal point of view, they're all wrong obviously. But gosh, none of them were as pushy as those CFS women. Wow. They were authoritarian. 

On 7/27/2021 at 8:48 PM, Studio 2 said:

Thanks for the mention :) 

I also write guest-posts for other sites/agencies, such as the following published today over at Xpiks:

Rising Popularity of Free Downloads at Microstock Agencies

Also just published my July 2021 Brutally Honest Earnings Report!

Edited by Alexandre Rotenberg
July 2021 Brutally Earnings Report link

Patrick, I would think they wouldn't want to mention not to photograph the family and just ask what you're doing there. If someone told me not to photograph the family, that would peak my interest and I'd actually start looking at the people. I've only ever had one security guard tell me I can't take photos and I just walked away from him and went about my business.

Jeff - yeah, I'm sure all those barriers /cones are necessary when you need to reroute traffic. Also the electronic flares are so much better than the "regular" ones, especially if you already have a problem with fires!

Patrick - I think it's pretty normal that the volunteer fire dpt will help with traffic if there's an accident, because in rural areas the law enforcement won't have enough manpower to take care of that, but the fire dpt can step in to support. I've seen the volunteer fire dpt do it here as well.

Also, I'm sure they're prone to err on the side of caution to keep rubberneckers and other curious people from turning into a nuisance and hindering whatever needs to be done.

Sari is right, and of course the fire departments also have paramedics, who probably were attending to the injuries. I have had First Aid and CPR plus the use of defibrillator training, so naturally if the only person around with the training would be involved more with the scene, besides just keeping everyone out of the scene.

5 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Patrick, I would think they wouldn't want to mention not to photograph the family and just ask what you're doing there. If someone told me not to photograph the family, that would peak my interest and I'd actually start looking at the people.

Sheila yea I admit I started getting curious when the first woman told me not to photograph the family members. I looked around but strangely, I couldn't see any family members. Only people in uniform were visible.

4 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Patrick - I think it's pretty normal that the volunteer fire dpt will help with traffic if there's an accident, because in rural areas the law enforcement won't have enough manpower to take care of that, but the fire dpt can step in to support. I've seen the volunteer fire dpt do it here as well.

Sari ah yes that makes sense. 

4 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Also, I'm sure they're prone to err on the side of caution to keep rubberneckers and other curious people from turning into a nuisance and hindering whatever needs to be done.

Yes valid points. Though I must point out that this was not the scene of the accident. They would have transported the patient here via ambulance from somewhere else. And then transferred the person to the helicopter. And I was nowhere near the emergency services people working there. I was a fair distance away outside the oval when I was being told off. So I wasn't hindering any of the operations or getting in the way. Those CFS women had to temporarily abandon their post in order to walk over and tell me off. 

4 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Sari is right, and of course the fire departments also have paramedics, who probably were attending to the injuries. I have had First Aid and CPR plus the use of defibrillator training, so naturally if the only person around with the training would be involved more with the scene, besides just keeping everyone out of the scene.

Jeff, that makes perfect sense. It's good that people in different kinds of emergency services have that kind of training to help out people in need. Though as I mentioned above, it wasn't really the scene of the accident. But obviously, a number of people were there doing important work within the field of emergency services. And additionally, I wasn't anywhere near them. I was shooting with a telephoto lens outside of the area where they were working.