The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

12 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

Yeah, I realized my mistake with bit latency. 🙂 

Ahh, we can blame that on slow internet connections, there was probably a whale sleeping on the under ocean cable and squishing it so hard that data couldn't get through :D

In the other news it appears the raccoons gave up scavenging the yard for bird seed after I started putting the big feeder in the house for nights.

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Ahh, we can blame that on slow internet connections, there was probably a whale sleeping on the under ocean cable and squishing it so hard that data couldn't get through :D

In the other news it appears the raccoons gave up scavenging the yard for bird seed after I started putting the big feeder in the house for nights.

I'm sure the whale is sometimes in my brain. :) 

2 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I'm sure the whale is sometimes in my brain. :) 

"Sometimes" would certainly be an improvement as far as I'm concerned 😄

Sheila - yeah, the camera gear can be heavy, even if you play it smart and only grab the mere essentials.

It's steamy here today, 94F with 110F heat index (right now!). For some reason my husband is not willing to go back out to finish up the break job on the big truck...LOL!!

lol Sari, I cant say I blame him!

MrSorbias ... that whale has been asleep on m brain for quite some time.

Sheila I admire that you cover protests, I wont go anywhere near them.

We had big protests yesterday in the cities, I get that people dont want to lock down, but then to go to a protest, without a mask etc ... they can play with their own health as much as they like, but they are messing with vulnerable people.  Then one "A$$HOLE" punched a policeman's horse. As far as I am concerned anyone who does that needs to be locked up for life, he hurt the innocent horse and endangered I dont know how many lives. He did his cause no favours at all with that behaviour! In fact I can see him being the poster boy for their nasty mentality!  I am glad I was nowhere near them or that poor excuse for a human might have had a very short lifespan!

I am hoping he does get slammed .. not sure what the law is on it, but I am guessing it would be the same as punching the police. I hope they rough him up real well before he is charged! He needs to be named and shamed that is for sure!

a00ad863bee0409528c03aa0b0b79c57?width=1

apparently a couple of them got charged .... look at his singlet, shows his attitude!

I applaud the photographer who got the shot!

Jeff, I was thinking the same thing. Too bad the horse didn't charge him. Horses are huge creatures and can cause a lot of damage if they're pissed off.

Sari, I even took the speedlight out of the bag to decrease the weight, but my new compact tripod is VERY heavy and that goes into a side pouch on the camera bag (it's a backpack style). i also had the gopro and extra batteries in there, but that's not all that heavy, just big because of the case they're in. And we got to a high of 70F here today, but it didn't feel that warm, esp if one was sitting in the shade. The offshore breeze really gave a good cool down. We've been having to close all the windows at night esp the last few days because it's been downright cold. I'll take that any day of the week over being hot though. This house is a sauna when it's actually hot. We should get that heat wave around August or September. We usually get at least one week where its at least in the 90's here and it's miserable without airflow. The jury rigged screens I've made help a little since any airflow we get those days is usually off the street and the front room windows downstairs don't actually open and there's no screen to keep the bugs out on the front door.

I'm working on uploading the video first since that takes the longest. I'm on my last clip now. I only took two of the actual march and none at the rally but I did some other video clips of city iconic stuff so figured I'd get that all uploaded before people complained too much about how much I'm slowing down the internet (my husband actually came up and made a comment on it but as long as I'm not doing it during "his" normal work hours, he can't complain too much. I have to work some time too.

There are plenty of videos on youtube of people assaulting police horses and getting wrecked as a result. You usually have to be on the kicking end of the horse for that, so this dude was safe, sadly, standing on the front.

We're getting another hot day here, possibly hotter than yesterday. Heat index will be in the 105-111F range. Or higher, who knows.

The dew point was 78F yesterday which makes the heat absolute misery.

Sheila - is your own connection not working again? 😮

Sari, its not that the internet is out, it just slows down significantly when I’m uploading 4K footage so people cant play games because of the  lag. Go figure. LOL. Playing the game is part of testing for my husband so I just try to avoid uploading during regular work hours M-F but weekends are a free for all. I still hear complaints about game lag though. My footage uploads go in spurts so its not like I do them all the time

Decided I’m going to probably skip todays protest. Don’t feel like driving an hour each way.

As much as your whole family is dependent on getting things done online, I'd expect your area have plenty of providers with enough bandwidth for your needs.

We've never had fiber or cable connections where we live, but the alternatives have lately picked up the slack and are performing quite nice. It's great to have a connection that gets things done in a timely manner :)

We did lose power this afternoon, apparently something happened at a substation and the power was gone for about 3 and half hours. We hooked up the fridge to a generator to keep it going and then tried to stay cool enough in the house as the temps outside were still rising for the day. There is a thunderstorm passing by out east right now and the outflow from it just cooled the temps about 10 degrees within minutes.

Sari, you would think so, but monopolies exist everywhere. There are a few more now than when we first moved in. We are not right next to the main cable line so there’s a bit of lag. And I don’t know how much bandwidth he uses programming. Definitely more than I’m using and apparently I use a lot. Then add the kids gaming into the mix and yeah, it can be slow progress uploading. We’ll hopefully get it sorted sooner rather than later.

My son decided he wants to learn photography and I didn’t realize the camera I gave o my youngest dtr (which he borrowed when he went with me to the protest yesterday) was set to NEF Nikon settings so my computer won’t read it, his computer won’t read it and my dtr’s computer apparently didn’t read that format either. Took a bit but he finally got them converted over to JPEG so he could open the files. Kind of defeats the purpose of shooting raw. A hurtle to overcome. He decided he wants to start submitting images to stock and I had to have a candid discussion with him about expectations since the money is way less than it used to be. He sees what I make but I had to remind him I’ve been doing this for 7 years now and I have over 18K images on ShutterStock (less on other sites but still). So I’ll be curious to see if he sticks with it. Nobody else that has asked me about stock photography and when through the process of signing up stuck with it for very long. 

36 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

was set to NEF Nikon settings

What other settings are there for RAW than NEF that works on your computer? I only ever use NEF. Photoshop opens those just fine.

Get him the Adobe DNG converter and have him convert the images to DNG rather than JPGs so they are still RAW images and he can edit them  - here's the link:  https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

On 7/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, Wendy Townrow said:

I am hoping he does get slammed .. not sure what the law is on it, but I am guessing it would be the same as punching the police. I hope they rough him up real well before he is charged! He needs to be named and shamed that is for sure!

a00ad863bee0409528c03aa0b0b79c57?width=1

apparently a couple of them got charged .... look at his singlet, shows his attitude!

I applaud the photographer who got the shot!

Have a look at the footage of this incident, he wasn't actually purposely punching the horse.   

10 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Sari, you would think so, but monopolies exist everywhere. There are a few more now than when we first moved in. We are not right next to the main cable line so there’s a bit of lag. And I don’t know how much bandwidth he uses programming. Definitely more than I’m using and apparently I use a lot. Then add the kids gaming into the mix and yeah, it can be slow progress uploading. We’ll hopefully get it sorted sooner rather than later.

My son decided he wants to learn photography and I didn’t realize the camera I gave o my youngest dtr (which he borrowed when he went with me to the protest yesterday) was set to NEF Nikon settings so my computer won’t read it, his computer won’t read it and my dtr’s computer apparently didn’t read that format either. Took a bit but he finally got them converted over to JPEG so he could open the files. Kind of defeats the purpose of shooting raw. A hurtle to overcome. He decided he wants to start submitting images to stock and I had to have a candid discussion with him about expectations since the money is way less than it used to be. He sees what I make but I had to remind him I’ve been doing this for 7 years now and I have over 18K images on ShutterStock (less on other sites but still). So I’ll be curious to see if he sticks with it. Nobody else that has asked me about stock photography and when through the process of signing up stuck with it for very long. 

When I got my latest camera in 2018, I discovered that my old version of Photoshop Elements (2010) couldn't read the Nikon NEF files. Upgraded to Elements 2018 and the problem went away.

I have PS6 so the only upgrade I know from that is going to CC, and I refuse to go to a paid subscritption format when i just paide $800 for CS6 not that many years ago. I don't want to be paying for something forever and have to have an internet connection to use it. I will hold out from going to CC for as long as possible. Forever if possible. I have free year long subscriptions from adobe that I haven't cashed in because nothing is ever really free and I don't want downloading any cloud based apps to screw up being able to use CS6. I'm cynical, I know, but I also know I'm a slow learning when it comes to these programs and having constant changes/updates (esp when they move things around and you have to figure out how to get to them again) would be like taking a 2x4 and hitting it repeatedly against my head every day IMO.

Sheila you can have the CS6 and CC at the same time. Just make sure you still have the key code for it in your Adobe account, so you always have proof that you bought it. I have an older version of PS that I could use if I didn't have the CC. And, I have CC because I get it free (like you would) as a bonus from AS sales.

Also, your free subs to CC will eventually expire, they don't last forever. I have mine stacked so my CC should be free till far out some time next year, at least.

12 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Have a look at the footage of this incident, he wasn't actually purposely punching the horse.   

The only video online I saw actually doesnt show the exact moment that the "punch" tooks place.  He has been charged, will let the courts make the decision. It odes not alter the fact that he is a "moron" to be honest!

The only way to stop a contagious virus is to not have a pathway of contagion .... that is not rocket science. If people did the right thing at the start we would not be in this global situation now. It certainly wont be the last virus that emerges that has the potential to become a pandemic.

Sheila I agree, get the dng converter. I have had a problem with Photoshop not recognising RAW files before. It doesnt like older versions or newer versions of cameras. I just convert to DNG and it opens no worries. I use the DNG converter with both CS5 and CS6. It is an Adobe product and supported. I tried CC and was not impressed,  every time it updated (which seemed to be frequently) it wiped out my custom settings. I decided that if my Photoshop ever goes to the great computer in the sky I will switch allegiance to something else.

I did have CS5 and CS6 running together, and I had CC and CS6 running on the same computer.  I bought CS6 because it was the last standalone program. I do not like subscription models where my computer has to phone home. Not at the price they charge!

As for the free, I used it for 12 months and its nice having all the new stuff but at the end of the time I did not pay for a renewal and removed it from my system.

When it comes to using bandwidth ... the upload here is slower than the download. That is controlled by the internet provider. Having said that, the 2 are not supposed to imp[act each other and yet if hubby is downloading then my uploading slows to a crawl. Are there times at your place where uploads may processed faster?

Sari, pretty sure the key is still in my adobe account since I had to redownload it when I got my newer computer a few years back, but thanks. II have til December to decide if I want this years incentive of one free online app for a year. I think last year was the full creative cloud.

Wendy, both uploads and downloads lag when the system is bogged down here. I’m told they cant play games because they’re reaction time is delayed and their characters die and my upload crawls so I tend to stop the upload since I can do that when they’re not gaming (since teenagers rarely get up before noon most days). And my. Husbands crucial working hours really don’t start til they have their web conferences around 10AM. I hate to admit I’m looking forward to work going back to the office so I can have unlimited use of internet during the day :D 

Wendy, that would definitely be a plus. 

MrSorbias, yeah, it's not a get rich quick scheme, that's for sure. The agencies all make a lot, but the rest of us get the leaky faucet at best in terms of sales. I had a couple decent video sales today so that helped my weekly sales a bit. But I still make the most from SS over all the other agencies, even AS. They are picking up (I usually have daily sales) but still no where near the numbers I get here so I persist. I've seen many come and go over the years though and I haven't been here that long. Most of the people who post on just this thread alone have been doing stock much longer than I have.

I also had an "adjustment" in my sales revenue today, but that was only -10¢ so I guess subtracting that from my total sales for the month won't be all that noticable.