The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

It's amazing how acute a dogs hearing is. I have been taking the dog door out at night since we were having the nigh time intruder/visitor and at 3AM Sebastian INSISTED he had to go outside and pee (he sits by the door and whines) so I let him out but all he wanted to do was chase something. Needless to say, I doubt my neighbors enjoyed the barking at that hour. Ugh.

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

at 3AM Sebastian INSISTED he had to go outside and pee (he sits by the door and whines)

We have a "doorbell" at the door that especially Marshall uses when he wants to go out.

We HAVE TO put him in his crate and close the door for the night, because if he can roam free he thinks it's appropriate to jingle the bell to go out at 3AM -- and the truth is, he doesn't need to, he just wants to.

He also whines in the crate in the morning IF my husband is at home, because he knows my husband will let him out early.

If my husband is not at home, Marshall will not utter a sound until I get up, because he knows better...

Bob, on the other hand, can roam around all she wants in the house and she will never ask to go out in the middle of the night. Sometimes she won't even go out in the morning when Marshall goes, she just doesn't need to, so she'd rather stay in.

Now, if she hears chickens screaming bloody murder when she's in, she WILL tell you that she needs to go inspect the situation :D  :D

That’s a great idea having a bell they can ring to let you know they need/want to go out. How did you train them to use it? Might be too late to do something like that with Sebastian but definitely something to think about if/when we move and have (hopefully) a bigger yard for him to play in

I put one up for Bob when she was little, and she'd just touch it with her nose for a little jingle, I didn't even train her, I think she trained herself (the smart cookie that she is :D ).

When Marshall arrived he took all his cues on everything from Bob, and he became a monster jingler as soon as he was tall enough to touch the bells -  it was too high for him at first, but he grew quickly to reach it.

He was also really good about going out to pee/poop right from the start; the first day you could tell he wanted / needed to go out when he was looking out of the windows towards the yard, trying to figure out how to get there. Our windows are so low even a tiny pup could see out, haha.

Anyway, yeah, Bob taught herself and then she showed Marshall, so no training needed from me :P

I was just thinking that it would probably save my nerves a little if I switched the bells to something less loud... it's actually a dog collar with LARGE jingle bells, five of them, and when Marshall starts tossing it around it's LOUD. Well, it's loud for someone who expects darn near absolute silence like me :P

Decided to test out the image stabilization ability of the GoPro9 with the cinimatic setting (which gets rid of the fish eye warp effect). This is the tail end of one of our walks with Sebastian. he keeps turning around to make sure I'm following him. Might do some more with this when it's more overcast so I can have more even lighting. That was actually my biggest challenge. It definitely compensates for the bounce effect normally seen when walking with video.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1076229485-4k-hd-video-jack-russel-terrier-mix

the only downside of the cimematic setting I've had so far is that you can't see live view when sync'd with the iPhone like I can with the other video (so I can see what it's recording as it records). It'll live view before you hit record, but then the screen goes blank while it's recording. It does that with the 4K 60fps footage too. I guess the iPhone just isn't compatible with those formats?

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

(which gets rid of the fish eye warp effect)

You should be able to set your view to "narrow" also separately so it doesn't have the super wide angle. I mean, you CAN do it with the stabilization, but it's also available in the regular settings for the video. I have an older GoPro and it has that, and depending on the other settings (resolution / frame rate) you have more or less options for the width of view.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

It does that with the 4K 60fps footage too. I guess the iPhone just isn't compatible with those formats?

The data rate is quite high on those settings, which probably causes an issue with the connection between GoPro and your phone?

In your other setting the GoPro does the stabilization in the software, so it probably can't handle that AND send it to your phone. Takes a lot of computing power.

Just my guess, of course.

Yeah, I was guessing it couldn't handle the data flow. I've never used the 9 with my phone until the other day because I'm usually hand holding so the phone isn't necessary, but I was shooting this footage on my car (they cleared out all the homeless encampments over by HomeDepot, but now the trailers, cars, tents, etc are lining the street) and when I hit record it suddenly went blank so it threw me for a minute. I just shot wide and cropped a bit in post so I'd be sure I was getting the view I wanted.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1076163329-oakland-ca---july-19-2021-4k

So, when your Nikon says "No Demo", what it really means is "THERE'S NO CARD IN tHE CAMERA". Card has four letters. Demo has four letters. WTH didn't they just put that no card to begin with??? Even a moron could figure that one out. Needless to say, i was a bit miffed to discover my first kitten session this morning wasn't actually captured on the camera. Normally I do check first, but it's been a busy day. ugh.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming... Intermittent crickets? :D 

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Yeah, I was guessing it couldn't handle the data flow. I've never used the 9 with my phone until the other day because I'm usually hand holding so the phone isn't necessary, but I was shooting this footage on my car (they cleared out all the homeless encampments over by HomeDepot, but now the trailers, cars, tents, etc are lining the street) and when I hit record it suddenly went blank so it threw me for a minute. I just shot wide and cropped a bit in post so I'd be sure I was getting the view I wanted.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1076163329-oakland-ca---july-19-2021-4k

wow Sheila do those trailers belong the homeless? It seems homeless are a new breed now. Here we are getting a professional homeless because rentals are in such short supply, professional people are finding it hard to get any form of accommodation when they move into an area. Landlords are being picky about tenants, no animals, no kids, couples only etc.

Wendy, yeah. There's an area about a block long just before the video starts where they were all parked too, but the owners of the industrial building probably complained due to the potential fire hazard (a lot of fires start up at these encampments) so they cleared that section and painted over all the grafitti, but they just moved down the block. And the section they cleared on an abandoned lot just adjacent to the HomeDepot store, even though it's been fenced off, is filling back up too. You can see a small section of that at the tail end of the clip. They cleared that section because apparently there were customers being assaulted in the parking lot. There are routinely 2-3 police cruisers plus store security at that HomeDepot location. I never see that much security at the San Leandro location or even the one in Emeryville (part of Oakland). It's crazy. This is a small section too. The area where the ferry is has been taken over by homeless encampments too, partly (I think) because ferry service has been significantly decreased during the pandemic. No weekend runs at all and the week day is only a few runs in the morning and a few in the afternoon. so basically, if you miss your ferry, your SOL. They're supposed to ramp back up the ferry service from the island to the city by September (theoretically) but by then, the. new platform on the other side of the point is supposed to be finished so they probably won't be using the current area anymore. Which is good considering there's limited parking with all the trailers and tents (and trash). 

It seems that editorial photos are now marked as royalty free. It means that we might have coming up lawsuits from people in the photos when they start seeing their faces in ads. This is one example in my portfolio. Behind the hood I still have editorial selected, so I don't know what's going on. 

Finland 08212010 Moment Before Duel Armored Stock Photo (Edit Now) 2005506326 (shutterstock.com)

15 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

It seems that editorial photos are now marked as royalty free. It means that we might have coming up lawsuits from people in the photos when they start seeing their faces in ads. This is one example in my portfolio. Behind the hood I still have editorial selected, so I don't know what's going on. 

Finland 08212010 Moment Before Duel Armored Stock Photo (Edit Now) 2005506326 (shutterstock.com)

If you look at the top on right of the image it still says editorial use only - the problem is that it's not visible enough.

Editorial use only. Learn more

Editorial credit: MrSorbias / Shutterstock.com

16 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

If you look at the top on right of the image it still says editorial use only - the problem is that it's not visible enough.

Yeah, I didn't see it. I decided that I will update the description of all of my editorial photos to inform customers that this is not for ads. I don't wanna be part of the "small print" scam. 

2 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

It seems that editorial photos are now marked as royalty free. It means that we might have coming up lawsuits from people in the photos when they start seeing their faces in ads.

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

the problem is that it's not visible enough.

Correct, it’s not visible enough. And IF someone is using an editorial as commercial - by mistake or intentionally - we may be in deep trouble.

I’m thinking its probably clear when the customer attempts to purchase editorial content because I had a customer contact me directly trying to get me to sell direct to them because they could only get it as editorial content from ShutterStock. Needless to say, I did not sell to them directly.

Wendy, there are only a few people in those homeless sites that cause issues from what I’ve seen. The ones Ive talked to by the ferry are very cordial and friendly. They are doing some drugs (mostly smoking marajana but that’s legal now anyway in California). The problem is the people most seen are the ones who are having psych issues and homeless (probably part of why they are homeless). My husband told me years ago that a big part of Californias homeless problems started when they shut down all the psych facilities and dumped everyone on the streets, left to their own resources.

Mr Sorbias, Editorial has always been "Royalty Free",  that is the contract that you buy under, the license is "Editorial Use Only" as opposed to "Creative Use". Royalty Free just means that a fee is paid once and the use does not incur ongoing royalty payments.

Sheila they shut down the centres here too, as well as other support mechanisms. It is sad when people who need help cant get it and rich people play on the edge of space in a phallic symbol shaped space ship.

I have no problem with them being rich or spending their money but it seems that priorities are all wrong somehow.

2 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Mr Sorbias, Editorial has always been "Royalty Free",  that is the contract that you buy under, the license is "Editorial Use Only" as opposed to "Creative Use". Royalty Free just means that a fee is paid once and the use does not incur ongoing royalty payments.

Sheila they shut down the centres here too, as well as other support mechanisms. It is sad when people who need help cant get it and rich people play on the edge of space in a phallic symbol shaped space ship.

I have no problem with them being rich or spending their money but it seems that priorities are all wrong somehow.

Yeah, I realized my mistake with bit latency. 🙂