The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Was there no option to just have it delivered, and you would have installed it yourself, or are there some regulations about that?

I ask because the set of appliances we have now are the only ones I've ever bought, and we went to the store, bought them, carried them home and put them in. But we also have the most basic appliances, and no fancy, expensive stuff.

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

I think you're lucky your husband is able to do all those hook ups himself. Mine is not so inclined. He was actually fine with having a stove that constantly goes out. He could get it to work when he needed to just by pulling on the front panel til it popped back on. Personally, I felt like that was a fire hazard waiting to happen. Obviously a loose connection some where in addition to the other issues the stove has (keeps alarming some F1 malfunction beeping incessentantly a few times/month as well). They do allow for delivery without installing and that's no additional charge for the price on the stove. But I also paid a $50 fee for hauling away the old unit so that's part of the bill as well. I'm using my stock earnings to pay for all these appliances for this year so I had enough. Just means I have to wait a bit longer to get the next appliances replaced. Adobe sales are picking up with more video sales making the totals higher, but it's being balanced out by the lower sales here. which are still more than double what Adobe is giving me over all. I figure I should have enough for the fridge and dishwasher by end of September. The countertop range will have to wait til next year. hopefully it'll last that long. It has more issues than the oven did, but it still works. Just have to use a match half the time as the electronic ignition is erratic in it's functioning.

It sounds like the pezo is dying Sheila, I worked with that for a long time (lighting it with a gas lighter) till the burners rusted out and then figured it was a safety hazard! My earnings have dropped so much that they dont even pay for anything interesting any more.

Yeah. Hopefully I can get it replaced sooner rather than later. My brother who was executor for my dads estate called me tonight because he apparently found out some of my dads stocks that he thought were worthless aren't so he's working on cashing those out and I'll get 25% of those proceeds. If it actually works out the way he says it will. I haven't found him to be the most reliable source of information. 

Finally started working on a few kitten photos today. Nothing spectactular but at least getting a feel for how they do as models. So far they're pretty cooperative (after running around for two hours first anyway).

My best shares deal ever was buying APPLE stock at $18 back in 1980's I sold half of them back when they hit $240, got my entire initial investment back. They then went to $650, then did a 7 way split at $92 a share and have since gone up to $135, so I have around $300,000 of APPLE shares that is completely funny money, so when I buy a new APPLE computer, I don't really care what it costs, because it is free basically.

Hopefully your Dad had some shares like mine Sheila!

That's quite the menagerie you've got going there Sari!  LOVE the deer that peeks in from the side like "what? nothing happening here".

Jeff, I think we sold all our apple stock to do the down payment on this house. It was definitely a good investment he made on that one (my husband, not my dad). The stocks my dad had he actually inherited from his dad and i doubt he ever knew what to do with them. My uncle told me he sold his share of the shares years ago when he first got them. The ones my brother is supposed to sell now he says collectively are worth about 32K (which would be split 4 ways minus the fee the person who is doing the deal for him is taking). But I don't count on it until I see it. I paid more in taxes than what i actually kept from when my dad actually died.

Sari, looks like the coyote in your video got its leg broken in a leg trap.

And the vultures look like Turkey vultures, we have those around here, but had even more when in CA

Sheila, you are having the woes with the appliances. I can and have installed them myself, but now prefer to have fun in my limited time left on this planet and hire others to do it like you.

Jeff, yeah, all the appliances here came with the house and unlike the house we sold in Irvine, these appliances were not all new. Most of them nearing the end of their life expectancy so I have a repair guy out here probably twice/year for one or more of them needing fixing. It’s definitely a pain. We had remodeled the entire kitchen in the Irvine house a few years before we sold it so everything in there was brand new. Even the washer and dryer were brand new. I guess that’s not the norm with selling houses though.

Jeff - yes, she got caught in a trap back in late December, I think. She hobbled by one of the cameras with the trap hanging off her paw, and the chains dragging behind. A couple of days later she showed back up without the trap, I'm sure she chewed her paw off to get rid of the trap. People shouldn't put out traps that ANY animal can get into.

And yes, those are Turkey vultures - but I did have a Black vulture in one of my clips (surprised me, I didn't think we have them), I probably didn't include it in this set. I had tons of vulture footage because of the frikkin' snakes killing my chickens. I just drop them at the camera - otherwise the carcasses would go in the burn pile, where the buzzards would get them anyway.

Great compilation Sari ....

Sheila I guess most people dont sell with new stuff unless they know they can recoup the money in the sale.  Or of course you do the installs for your own comfort and convenience at the time.

I used to be able to do all appliance installs etc ... these days I prefer to pay someone who can do it easier and faster than me :)

Cute kitten .... do polydactyls have other health issues besides extra digits?

Years ago my hubby wanted to get into share trading, so we went and tried to learn how to do it, then we did paper trading (not real) for a while, anything I touched bombed big time so I told him no way was I playing. He procrastinates too long, so opportunities come and go whistling by before he makes a decision. Then he justifies it by saying it wasnt meant to be roflmao!

My husband is pretty decent at the stock market. I don't think he does a lot, but he does have a couple things going here and there. I have no idea. Hopefully its all written down somewhere in case anything happens to him.

Decided to splurge and ordered Chinese food for tonight. I should do some photos too, but I just don't have the energy to try and style the dishes (and I'm not very good at it). And one of the great things about Chinese food is it's always enough for tomorrows lunch too.

We had Chinese the other day ... hubby and I actually went to eat out .... could bring home the leftovers as we were going to see a band at the pub.

Hubby had shares left him by his parents ... I think he bought some as well. But he left it too late to get out of some of them and they went down substantially ... we dont hold any in our own name now. Our Superannuation accounts (I think they are like your 40K accounts) invests in shares ... but we only decide what sort of investment strategy not what they invest in. This is a good thing because left to my skills there would be nothing in there.

Sheila - yeah, that was just a wing left over from the buzzards. Sadly they get most of the "goodies" since they're out and about during the day and they spot the food and get to it hours before the coyotes or others even know it's there.

But they're not mother nature's cleaner uppers for nothing, they're quick and efficient! 

Wendy, yeah, I had to roll my 401K into an IRA to avoid having to pay taxes on it. I doubt there's much in there either. I haven't looked at it for years. My husband takes care of all those things. My idea of investing is putting it into a savings account and investing in the future. LOL.

Sari, yes, they can smell the carrion from miles away so they know there's a dead animal. So I'm not surprised they're faster. Do you submit your trail cam footage for stock? the quality looks really good on the daytime clips. I just sold two nature clips on P5 today so they do sell. Yours are better than mine IMO.

Sari, I agree about the traps, and I am a hunter!

I don't think anything that can only injure an animal rather than dispatching it completely is ethical. This is why I also think it is unethical to hunt without practicing with the tool of choice previously and often.

I am both a Hunter education instructor and a International bow hunting education instructor, and feel that it is a hunters responsibility to dispatch an animal as humanely as possible, this does not include leg traps.

Jeff - I absolutely agree. Also, if it was up to me, I'd ban all traps unless there's a way to make sure only the intended species of animal can get caught in it, AND it doesn't have to suffer in ANY way. Live trap is fine to an extent, and then you MUST check it so often the animal won't suffer in it, say, in heat/ drought / other conditions.

I don't like killing any animals at all, especially if one lives in the sticks and WE are the ones encroaching on THEIR habitat - they were here first, for generations, long before us. I still understand that in some situations it's necessary, but as a general rule, people need to live more WITH and FOR the nature and improve it for the wildlife and diversity, than try to "be the rulers of their perceived domain" like some people like to think they're some sort of kings on their little spot of land. Why not change the attitudes, and observe and appreciate a little more?

I don't mind if a bobcat comes and grabs my chickens for breakfast because I put my house here and it took some wildlife away from them, so my chickens can make up for it a little - but I hate it when the snakes kill the chickens for no reason - if you kill it, you frikkin' EAT IT, too :P  (Or someone else will. Maybe they have a deal with the buzzards??? :D  )

Sheila - I do submit some, but I have to downsize them normally.

Also while I do know about polydactyls, I've forgotten if they have other problems - the last time I read about it was probably twenty or thirty years ago. I feel sorry for them as it is a deformity and a cat is not supposed to have a shit ton of extra toes (and yes they can have lots of extra ones on just one paw). The extra toes are not where toes are supposed to be, so those can get injured in ways that other toes wouldn't (kinda like dewclaw on puppies that gets removed for that reason, but in multiples!), and especially for a cat living outdoors that can cause unnecessary suffering.

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

I don't like killing any animals at all, especially if one lives in the sticks and WE are the ones encroaching on THEIR habitat - they were here first, for generations, long before us. I still understand that in some situations it's necessary, but as a general rule, people need to live more WITH and FOR the nature and improve it for the wildlife and diversity, than try to "be the rulers of their perceived domain" like some people like to think they're some sort of kings on their little spot of land. Why not change the attitudes, and observe and appreciate a little more?

+100

Sari, although I have killed a number of animals, obviously for the meat, I have not done so anywhere near where I live for the same reasons you mentioned, plus they become somewhat desensitized to humans unlike those that don't encounter humans often. My wife and I feed the deer in the winter with corn, go through about 60-80lbs a week. We grow alfalfa in our field, and they can eat as much as they like and do. We have a water trough for them in the summer, they share it with all the birds, but the birds also have our pond, and we feed them, in fact have 5 feeders, go through a 40lb bag of seed every week. I do not feed the wild turkeys, but we watch them get a drink from the lawn sprinkler system when it is operating in the evening. The turkeys and quail scrounge around the bottom of the bird feeders and get the scraps, and occasionally the quail will fly up into the feeders.

We wish the turkeys didn't crap all over the lawn, but we enjoy living among the wildlife, so tolerate the mess.

Sheila - I don't think I have ever seed a polydactyl anything.

The wife had a little excitement the other day, one of our resident chipmunks decided to come in the house, she and the dogs were chasing all round the bedroom and into the closet, finally managed to get it heading toward the door and out. we laughed thinking about how that chipmunk might be sitting around with his buddies, relating what a close call he had in that big house 🙂

We have seen Marmots recently, for the first time since we have been here, everyone tells us that that is an anomaly since they had not had any in living memory. We have had Elk on our property a few times, these are our deerIMG_0133.thumb.jpeg.e83f892cfb1b910c5207bc6c26a4949f.jpeg

Those traps are awful, When we need to catch animals we use a humane trap that wont hurt them and that includes the feral pigs. Then we get the wild animals relocated or in the case of the pigs they are dispatched humanely. Those leg traps are barbaric!