The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I keep the chicks in the coop until they're basically so big that they NEED to get out, and by that time they're so big that they can't get through the chicken wire, either (which they do when they're tiny). Problem is - they don't always get into the coop for the night, but roost in the run on the perches I have in there. If they go in the coop for I can close the door and snakes can't get in there. If they stay out the snake can get them. Also, if I leave the coop door open overnight then of course the snakes have access.

Enclosing the run with hardware cloth would keep the snakes out, but it would literally need to be completely redone, and it would be pretty expensive as well. It does need to be fixed as the frame is falling apart, so maybe I can figure out something that works.

Sheila - sounds like you need a lever of some sort to get pressure on it to get it to move?

Still raining here, we're somewhere near 7" for the last 7 days or so; I haven't checked the rain gauge for the day yet, I'll get it tomorrow when most of the rain should be gone.

Caught a rainbow this morning  - accidentally (didn't know one was going to show up -LOL)

Also caught some sunset colors last night through some storm clouds.

• Replies 46.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

Sari, the chickens are definitely a challenge to keep safe. I hope you are able to figure something out.  As for the rocks, I got the last one out yesterday. It's a bit of work to make enough space between the rocks and the tree trunk so I can fit the jack in there, but it's worked both times. I was bending the bar trying to crank it with the second rock though. Kept thinking it was going to snap the metal, but after a little repositioning, it finally turned and ripped the rock away from the roots. My daughter then rolled it out for me (she rolled out the bigger rock too, although I used a shovel to move it up to get it started). So now it's just a matter of getting the roots out at least to ground level. On the outside side, I've actually got the roots out to about 2 feet below ground level, mainly because of the way the rocks were in there. On the inside of the planter, I just need it to be flush with ground level. There's an extension power outlet in the middle of the planter and I don't know where the power lines run as well as the sprinklers. I'm presuming they're not under the palm tree as the roots would've destroyed them by now so I should be ok to use the sledge hammer type ax and the chain saw at least in the areas just where the tree trunk is. It's only about a foot an a half wide now but it's four feet long.

Sheila - looks like a giant job! 😮

Don't get zapped by the power line! 😮 😮

Our rain finally stopped. Now I'm gonna start worrying about the next rain, or the lack of it 😄

I had to fill in a giant hole in my flowerbed where the gophers had made their tunnels, and with all the rain the dirt just washed out until the top just collapsed. It darn near swallowed one of my newer roses as well, it was barely hanging on to the dirt that was left.

Wendy, I don't think that would work very well for where Sari is. It would freeze, causing expansion cracks in the winter. Definitely looks like a cool idea though for ares that don't get snow and freezing temperatures.

I think I'm tired of yard work. It just seems to be never ending. I've made more of a mess of the backyard than it's been in years. Hopefully when I'm all done it can be a nice place to hang out in again. Without having to worry about tripping over piles of rocks and dirt. Not sure how I'm going to dispose of all this rock.

Yeah, if I ever had a water tank of any type, it would need to be freeze proof. Our deep freeze last winter was unusual, but even on a normal winter we can get a week's worth of freezing temps.

I saw that leucistic Hummingbird from last year today again! :D I've been wishing to see her again, and today was the day. So, she apparently lives somewhere near for the summers. It'll be interesting to see if she has any leucistic offspring! 😮

Cool on sighting the hummingbird Sari! Hope you end up with more of them. I have only seen a few varieties of hummingbirds here. The Anna's and Allen's are starting to spend more time in our backyard now that flowers are starting to bloom.

Progress on the stump is slow but steady. ALMOST have a trench all the way around it now. Have to work very carefully around the water and power lines and what looks like an old capped off gas line. Not sure WTH it's there, but working around it carefully. Here's what it looks like as of this morning.

1886999806_ScreenShot2021-07-05at12_32_36PM.thumb.png.41293b2caf8b8a1bce8bd80ca7ded84e.png

2127308195_ScreenShot2021-07-05at12_32_08PM.thumb.png.36a11722da2323bf8f6ca0d18bba5b1d.png

The little fence is only there to deter Sebastian from digging into the planted area. That would erode very quickly with very little assistance so I'm trying to give a visual deterrent until I can start putting in the new bricks to retain the soil. Can't really work on that part til the stump is out.

Thanks. I pretty much didn't do anything with it today. Working on some photo projects (gasp). LOL. I need to get my shot list in order for kitten stuff too before these guys get too big for some of my props. they're eating like little piranha. A few will even growl and grab the bowl if you try to move them when they're eating. It's like they all have a tape worm. I was only having to break open new cans twice/day since I could just condense everything into fewer bowls after they initially ate, but now, they eat it all and I'm having to feed them 3x/day with canned food as they're not touching the dry food much at all. But they're affectionate little things when they're not starving. So far we've only named 2 of the 5. Need to come up with three more girl names. Named the little boy Romeo because he is such an insistent love bug and HAS to be in your face. And one of the polydactyl girls, her extra digit is so far separated it looks like human hands in mittens, but mittens is such a common name so we call her Mitsy.

Hope everyone in the U.S. had a safe and sane 4th of July. Sounded like a war zone here well into the night. I don't think the blasts ended til well after 3AM. Lots of fires as a result too apparently. And I guess my crime shows, etc have desensitized Sebastian because he was oblivious to all the explosions. Mostly slept on the bed next to me while I was watching Netflix and working on some crochet projects. 

36 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Yeah, naming them is challenging for many reasons. 1. the attachment. 2. the people adopting them are going to change the name anyway. But it helps so they're not just a number on a kennel card.

good point :)

Something unusual happened this morning. I received a phone call shortly after 8.00am. My phone was ringing for only a very short period and then stopped. I checked the number of the caller and it was nearly identical to my phone number except for the last digit. I had absolutely no idea who this phone number belonged to. A short time later, I rang the number back and received this automated message: "This number has been disconnected."

Weird.

23 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Something unusual happened this morning. I received a phone call shortly after 8.00am. My phone was ringing for only a very short period and then stopped. I checked the number of the caller and it was nearly identical to my phone number except for the last digit. I had absolutely no idea who this phone number belonged to. A short time later, I rang the number back and received this automated message: "This number has been disconnected."

Weird.

There is all kind of phone scams nowadays. Be careful. I do not call back to an unknown number that calls me anymore, but I still answer them.

1 hour ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Weird.

Almost creepy, reminds me of the movie When a Stranger Calls.

@Patrick Cooper I agree with the above, don't call back unknown numbers. Curiosity is not your friend in those situations. There are some phone scams that your account is charged for the time you are online calling them back. Not worth the headache. I lost track of how many scam calls I get. My phone now filters them out and doesn't even ring me for them I just see them in my call history. Unfortunately, those scams make someone money or they wouldn't keep doing them. Hope things are going well for you there. Haven't seen much of you around the forums lately.

Sheila - that's a lot of work, and having to be super careful around all those lines doesn't make it any easier! 😮

Re: naming the kittens - you'd probably make it easier for yourself just to pick a theme and name a set of them with that theme (like you have your own pets!), or, just start with letter A and name all in one set with a name that starts with A, and the next set everyone's names would start with B. Then just use a list of baby names from the dozens of websites available for that.

Also, your kids could probably provide you with piles of character names from the games they play :P

Yeah, we’ve done the themed names and game character names and even Greek god names on one litter. That’s the first litter we fostered that had fatalities, so I haven’t been able to make myself do Greek god names again. And if I name a kitten who doesn’t make it, I don’t feel like I can use that name again. This past year has been devastating in the loss dept. I stopped fostering for almost a year after we lost the entire litter to some disease they say is common with second litters of the year (can’t recall off the top of my head what that was). It’s gotten to the point where we put off naming them til about a week or so before they’re going back to the shelter because by then, we know they’re healthy and are going to make it. We’ve been fostering for 5 or 6 years now so running out of names. I do have a baby name book somewhere from back when I had my kids. I guess I should see if that’s still around and reference that. Make things easier. I try to give each kitten a name that mimics their personality or how they look so I probably make it harder than it needs to be. ESP since its doubtful they keep their name. Even named one of the orange tabby kittens Garfield. If I’d had know Nemo was so sick with the thyroid issues, I’d have actually kept Garfield. He was an exceptional orange tabby kitty, just like Nemo was.

And yes, the yard work is definitely a lot of work. It’s going to look awesome when its all done though :D 

There are lots of baby name websites, and they usually include names from other countries as well, so you won't run out if you pick a letter and go from there. And really, people are likely to rename them anyway, so save yourself some trouble and pick a website, and go from there.

Also, I don't know if you've ever watched kitten academy live stream on youtube, but they usually have themed names for their [fostered] baby sets, and they can be quite cute. Look it up for ideas! :D

8 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Weird.

Patrick never ring them back, sometimes they are a redirect from an overseas number and you can be hit with expensive bills. If they really want to talk to you they will ring back.

I dont have any form of answering machine or answering service on my phones for that reason. I will not ring back unless I know the number.

It really does sound like they used a temporary number for scam calls. The number of which has increased exponentially lately.