The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I've seen a snake  probably every day this week, and two on two or three days. TBH, that's the most snakes I've ever seen in such a short time.  This morning while checking the trail cams the pups were sniffing on something, and a small water snake lashed out at Marshall. I had my camera with me and I took some pics of it; I would have grabbed some video, too, but I didn't have my tripod with me, and the big lens is too heavy to handhold for video. But yeah, that little one was on a bad mood and was trying to scare us off every which way it could.

I'm wearing a flannel shirt in the house, but it's just because my husband likes to keep the AC on colder than I'm comfortable with...LOL

Our heat index only got to 96F today, so it was sorta kinda cooler than the previous days.

• Replies 46.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

Sari my hubby always has the AC set to freeze as well ... it sounds like a bad year for snakes.

In here is stuffy as Dad has had the heater on all day.

As for the lantana, I cleared one "tree", the pile of cuttings is about a cubic yard. I still have the tree trunk to dig out. The trunk that I have left is maybe an inch and a half thick and about 5 foot high.  There are several bushes the same size across the front of the property. All self seeded. I had not realised how prolific it had got. It will have to be cut back, and then dug out and the cuttings will need to be burned so they dont spread further. It is such a pity as it is such a pretty flower and the butterflies love it.

1 hour ago, MrSorbias said:

I did put some water to my balcony for the squirrels. Just had to report this important information here.

It is SUPREMELY important, especially knowing that it's hotter than usual in your part of the world :D  (which you didn't mention, but little birds told me so... one was chirping from Lahti and the other from Vantaa).

The squirrels and birbies need water when it gets too hot!!!

We're about to get hit by a thunderstorm, it's been cloudy windy all morning, and unusually COLD, colder than Finland, as a matter of fact (!!!!!), but I hope the rain will get the little stream flowing again, fingers crossed!

14 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

It is SUPREMELY important, especially knowing that it's hotter than usual in your part of the world :D  (which you didn't mention, but little birds told me so... one was chirping from Lahti and the other from Vantaa).

The squirrels and birbies need water when it gets too hot!!!

We're about to get hit by a thunderstorm, it's been cloudy windy all morning, and unusually COLD, colder than Finland, as a matter of fact (!!!!!), but I hope the rain will get the little stream flowing again, fingers crossed!

None of them have found my little water place yet, but I bet at night and morning they will come, just like always.

Some rainwater sounds cool idea also here, if possible

22 minutes ago, MrSorbias said:

Some water sounds cool idea also here, if possible

They had a pretty severe storm in Oulu, I saw the news on Ilta-Sanomat website. Pretty unusual to have a storm like that. Out here it would be "just a typical severe thunderstorm", but those don't happen much over there.

Are you going to watch the soccer game, it should be starting soon?

3 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

They had a pretty severe storm in Oulu, I saw the news on Ilta-Sanomat website. Pretty unusual to have a storm like that. Out here it would be "just a typical severe thunderstorm", but those don't happen much over there.

Are you going to watch the soccer game, it should be starting soon?

Yeah, I also watched some videos about the storm. And some trees fell also in Oulu. 79PfVVC.png
I am not so much into soccer, so I guess I am not going to follow it. :D

I tend to have my iPad next to the computer and have movies running from Netflix or Amazon prime, but mostly for noise. Or I’ll watch the news (listen to it anyway). Seems to promote my workflow better. My husbands family is heavy into American football and baseball, his sisters all watch with his dad, but my husband never got into it. Neither did I. I used to go to Super Bowl parties at my best friends house but it was more for the socialization that the  football. I blindly bid on squares and participated in the better but I didn’t really know what I was betting on and was always surprised the times I actually won. It was a lot of fun to hang out with friends though. Miss those parties, but So Cal is too far to drive just for a party anymore

Finished canning what I’m going to of the peaches. Bagged all the rest up (about half a paper grocery bags worth so still a lot) and gave the fruit to a friend who will finish them off between her and her two older “boys” (they’re in their 50’s). Then did 20 jars of raspberry jam yesterday. Took a break today since I had to spend the first half of the day at the hospital getting annual testing  done. Nothing major, just follow up after the heart attack, they check me out annually ultrasounds etc. Skipped last year because of Covid and the vascular surgeon says if these tests come back similar to the last ones we can do them every other year instead of annually anyway.

Good luck with the results Sheila.

MrSorbias, putting water out is a very good idea, we do it all the time here ... trees falling down in storms is scary, it happens here every monsoon season.

Sari I told you that the lantana grows like weeds, my arms have been sore for days from chopping it down.

3 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Good luck with the results Sheila.

MrSorbias, putting water out is a very good idea, we do it all the time here ... trees falling down in storms is scary, it happens here every monsoon season.

Sari I told you that the lantana grows like weeds, my arms have been sore for days from chopping it down.

I think the squirrel took some of my water at morning, but no idea if it came back. I heart and wake up when it was climping on the walls of this house.

11 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I actually don't own TV at all

We didn't have one for a long time, either, like nearly 20 years. Then I wanted to watch the Rio Olympics in 2016, so we got one. Since we live in the stix, there is no cable, we only get what's available for free "over the air".

We used to watch Netflix, though, before we had a TV, on my husband's 14-inch laptop screen -- LOL. We haven't had the subscription in years now, there's just nothing worth watching.

I'm not a great movie watcher at all, but I do love sports. Soccer, ice-hockey, American football, baseball, horse racing, basketball, formula1; I'll even watch e-sports if the right game and teams are on :D  :D  

Watch out with the thunderstorms, though; when the weather gets that hot you get strong updrafts (hot air rises from the hot ground up) and the storms that might develop can be really strong with exceptionally high winds. You can also get lots of lightning, heavy rain and hail. All of that is possible as long as it stays hot like it is right now.

And yeah, keep watering the little animals :) They need it!

Wendy - see if you can have a neighbor's youngster to help you, and feed them cookies for pay :D

Sheila - that's an insane amount of work for the canned stuff. I'm glad we don't get that much...LOL  I'd like to get SOME fruit, though, one day again. It just seems Mother Nature is not on the same page with me on that :P

Sari, it's only really more work because the peaches are so small and they're not freestone. We used to have a peach tree when we lived in Riverside way back when and it was freestone (so the seed pops right out separates from the fruit) and they were large. So it took fewer actual peaches to make a batch. The batches went much faster. And I could easily use them to make pies because they're so large they make nice sized slices. These peaches are not nearly as nice. I topped most of the tree and hopefully I didn't kill it, Hoping it'll grow smaller branches more like a weeping willow in shape so I can keep it low under and out of the power lines. I planted a plum tree a few years back too and it's starting to get more decent sized trunk and main branches. Maybe in two years it can produce some fruit too. Trying to keep it fruit free til it gets thicker branches.

Our lantana here is pretty scrawny too. Must be the soil or something. I saw some lantana at the butterfly garden in phoenix (under a dome) that had branches thicker than my thumb. Made me look twice to be sure that was actually the size of the branches and not something they put in there to support it, so I guess in humid conditions, it takes off growing. Definitely. not the conditions we get here (thankfully).

My Lantanas seem to do best when they gets lots of sun and lots of water. I probably don't water mine near enough and it takes forever for them to start growing better. Especially the ones on the front porch - there is no convenient way to get water to them, so they're always just an afterthought. I do try to keep some buckets or large coffee cans under the eave so if it rains they'll collect some water I can use for them (we don't have gutters at all), but if it doesn't rain then it's a double whammy on them...LOL

Sari, unfortunately I dont know of any young kids on the street these days. The people here have mostly been here since at least the 1992, the kids have all grown up and left home. Except for the new 4yo that moved in next door. She is a bit young to help lol.

I think lantana does grow best with plenty of water.

Sari I am surprised that you dont store the rainwater that falls .... I have 2 ten thousand gallon rain water tanks here and my preference is to use that rather than the well water. Mostly we switch to well water towards the end of winter as the tanks start to run out.

Wow wendy, those are some large tanks. How much space do they take up? Do they have a filtration system on them? that's something I was talking to my husband about earlier today (that and solar panels for where ever we move to retire). Definitely not going to be able to afford to stay in the Bay Area for life.

Picked up a chain saw today for a decent price. It's electric so not very heavy, but should do the job and will still cost less than hiring someone to remove these palm tree trunks. Plus it'll be useful for trimming the oak trees as needed. Much faster than using a hack saw. Figure I'll wear plenty of protective gear til I know how it handles (and probably after as well, but definitely til I know how much of a kick it has and how much debri it tosses around). Hoping to get started on clearing the trunk tomorrow. The battery has to charge first and I still need to remove the rocks we piled on top of the stumps.

And here's one of the two kiddos together. Trying to get big brother to give his new baby sister a kiss. He thought it was just too funny that she's a baby doll that moves. I didn't take any model releases with me so I'm just waiting for my dtr to send me back the ones I emailed to her before I submit a few images for stock.

1282116917_ScreenShot2021-06-17at12_59.23PMcopy.jpg.6d34bb0f9cc8ef130fd8e4d4f77f06c3.jpg

The tanks are under the house ... this is effectively a 2 story house with the living area on the top floor. They are about 2.6yards in diameter and about the same in height.

Electric chainsaws are good, I want to get a battery operated one, I cant use the zip start one these days.

Cute kiddos!

Thanks Wendy. They are pretty cute :D

Sari, do you use a GoPro as a trail cam? How do you set up the motion activation setting? We had another visitor in the house at about 4AM that Sebastian chased off. Don't think it was a cat based on the direction it appeared to take up to the roof of the patio (based on the direction Sebastian ran chasing it, yelping as he went so I have to assume it made contact with him, although I didn't see any physical damage to him this time around). ANyway, we are going to block off or remove the pet door at night from now on but I'd like to set up a camera to see exactly who our nocturnal visitor is as well. The pet door is an insert that fits between the wall and sliding glass door so it's a bit of a pain to remove and install daily, but doable. I also have a panel that I can put into the door so the flap won't open but I think that might confuse Ariel. Jasmine really uses the other cat door that's in the laundry room door (too small for the dog to use and other animals don't seem to bother with that one so far) We can also close the laundry room door to prevent anything from coming all the way into the house that route if needed as well.   

Anyway, I was hoping I could use one of the GoPro's vs having to get a cheap trail cam to figure out what our visitor is.

Wendy - no, the "best" we've had was a big barrel that gathered rain water, but it eventually rusted through. The lid you see in the trail cam videos that provides water for the wild life is from that barrel :P

Sheila - they're too cute :) The big brother is so sweet!

Wow, I thought I posted the above comments long time ago... turns out, I typed them but didn't post. I guess the cat jumped on the keyboard or something, 😮 So they were waiting for me when I came back, handy little feature.

Sheila - I don't use it for a trail camera, but I have used it at the bird bath to catch birds with the motion sensor.

You need to download the GoPro labs firmware for your camera at https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/Introducing-GoPro-Labs/ta-p/603173

It's the first one (for 9)

The instructions on how to get the firmware installed is under the links, follow those.

Once you're done installing it and it's on your camera, you need to use the QR code creator to tell your camera what to do - it's here,

https://gopro.github.io/labs/control/motion/

you need to fill in the settings you want. I would use a pretty low sensitivity, but you may want to test that. The first settings are self explanatory, but don't worry about the last, it's not helpful to you.

Read the limitations on the resolution / fps on that page, too (below the code)

What I do is create the code, then I take a pic of it with my phone, and when I'm ready to set the camera (already pointed where it needs to, and attached properly), I show the camera (while it's on) the QR code from my phone, and it should read it and tell you it did it. You can also use a print of the QR code, if you have a printer handy. It's probably easier for the camera to detect.

Then just leave it alone.

One thing  - I don't know how long your battery will last. I don't remember if I've tried mine with external battery (power pack) on the motion detection and if it works, so I can't say whether it does or not. I know it does if I do overnight time lapses, but not sure about the motion trigger.

Thanks Sari. That's a lot of work to upgrade to motion sensitivity. For now we are just taking out the pet door at night. 

Picked up five more foster kittens. Two of them are polydactyl. they're all fluff balls starved for attention. Not feral at all, so that makes life a little easier. Except that the ones who really want to be held won't sit still for photos. LOL. Definitely makes it a challenge but I won't be doing any sssions with them for a few days anyway. My husband is sorting his books in my studio since it doubles as his library.

Oh, and all I need is an EL and I'll have downloads in all categories today. Both cart and clip pack video sales today. Not my BDE, but definitely not my worst either. Always a good thing.

That's a lot of work to upgrade to motion sensitivity. For now we are just taking out the pet door at night. 

It sounds complicated, but it's really not :D

Last video sale I had this month was 20 days ago, and it was an enormous 34 cents, too.... ugh

Only one EL this month, a few days ago.

I was worried that Spice the barncat was a polydactyl when she first showed up, because the tortie pattern on her feet made them look that way. I was relieved when she wasn't - I know it's not the cat's fault, but it just creeps me out. People REALLY should spay and neuter their polydactyls to not spread the deformity. 

Wendy - rainwater storage would be a great idea especially for watering outdoor plants, but implementing the idea in an effective way would be complicated.

Around here people do have rainwater ponds for cattle; otherwise it would get harder to make sure they always have water available.