The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I've had an absolutely horrible month here (last month was almost decent), and I haven't had a single DL over $1 for a week.

I had several (smallish to almost decent) video sales to start the month with, but last one was two weeks ago. No ELs, no SODs worth mentioning at all - just horrible.

It's also still raining, so it's too soggy to do anything outdoors. I should be cleaning up my flowerbeds, but I'd rather not get soaked.

• Replies 46.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I may as well reveal what I made at that cruise ship market here on Kangaroo Island. The amount was $230. I'm sure that other market stall owners made record earnings as well. There's also a chance th

Posted Images

The first week of this month was about as pathetic as it has gotten for me so far. I think I only had 3 days with sales over $10 for the day. This week is picking up a bit so maybe I'll make it over my totals for this month last year. That's my basic guage for sales is did I make more than I did the same month last year.

Vet said it was actually probably a possum. She said they rarely attack, but they will if they're cornered (which it would've been in our back yard) and based a lot of that opinion on the fact that if it had been a raccoon, she'd expect to see a lot more damage. He did pretty good over all. They shaved the wound areas so we can keep an eye on them and gave me an Rx for antibiotics to prevent infection. And got some pill pockets to put them in. At least he will eat anything you give him if you say it's a cookie. The cats are total jerks for giving meds. Anyway. Now we just have to keep an eye on the wounds while they heal to assess for s/s of infection and try to keep him from messing with them too much. And hopefully no more wild animals in the backyard. Still need to rake up the fallen fruit. I've been lazy today in terms of getting yard work done.

13 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I think I only had 3 days with sales over $10 for the day.

I haven't had three days with sales over $10 this month yet.... I want to say LOL, but I probably should weep instead...haha

I'm at under 50% of last May's sales, and last May wasn't good at all, by a long shot.

Out here possums always play dead, the primary defense is to make the attacker to think that there's nothing to attack. But yeah, I'm sure there are times when they choose not to play dead.

Marshall is like that - he'll eat anything you give him. Bob, however, is picky and you can't even give her one of those chewies for fleas/ticks because she will just spit it out. Dogs are supposed to eat those things on their own, but she won't, so I have to break them in smaller peaces and shove then down her throat, because no matter what you wrap it in, she will still spit it out.

Sorry to hear that Sari. I guess I've been spoiled by the proximity to all the protests and other political events close by. All the video sales today were editorial. Most of my nature stuff is selling on Pond5, not so much here. And Adobe is switching to FTPS for uploading I think on the 15th of next month too, so uploading video there is going to be more of a hassle for me. Hopefully I'll figure out how to get this uploader to work for that setting.

I think if the possums have more space and don't feel boxed in, they probably have more security in the playing dead angle. Being boxed in in a small backyard with a loud yipping dog running at you would make it more fearful for it's life. I don't leave any pet food outside (all animals are fed inside) but i do have several containers of water out there too. So that might actually be another thing that's drawing them to the yard. Saw one of the squirrels trying to get a drink from the kiddie pool we set up for Sebastian.

You're probably right about the possums - out here they typically wouldn't be cornered, but out in the open.

Josie used to grab them all the time back in the day, but drop them as they played dead, and then I made her stay away from them so they could get away once they got up again. I don't think Marshall has had a chance to grab one that I know of, and the once or twice I saw Bob barking at one, I called her back so the possum could take off.

Yeah, no political events here, and even IF there was something like that in the big city, I would never go there for that.

My uploads to P5 got stopped pretty much after that hard drive hiccup -- now I don't know which files I've uploaded there already because all the folder structures and filenames are gone from those [older] files that I was in the process of getting uploaded. I had just barely gotten started. Chances are, they will never get there now. None of my best stuff is there yet. It's just utterly disheartening.

Still waiting for that third $10+ day here this month...LOL  Yesterday was $3 so not even close.

Foggy this morning, so the damp weather continues. Still no t-storms though! LOL!!!

Could be a good day to pull out some weeds finally from the two flower beds that are getting run over with them. It should be easy enough now that the ground is soggy and the roots will come up without hard work. :)

Hopefully you'll get some larger SOD's to end the month Sari. today is pretty slow for me too unfortunately.

Did make myself get up and go do the super flower blood moon over San Francisco (not sure where the flower part comes in, maybe because of the eclipse?). Anyway, got two shots I consider decent. And it was fun to hang with friends again. We've all had our shots so we are theoretically good to socialize. Here's one of the shots I got.

1752856498_ScreenShot2021-05-26at11_38_36AM.thumb.png.b5e7f21dda29743f5467d9e5d31a0f5e.png

I took some of the moon by itself when it was higher in the sky, but I feel like it just looks better when there's something in the foreground for context and scale. Would've been nice to be a mile or so to our left so the moon would've lined up better with Coit Tower or one of the other more recognized landmarks, but you get what you get when learning how to plan these things. I don't understand how to track where it'll be.

Sheila - this is helpful when figuring out where your subject in the sky will be -

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/usa/san-francisco

Scroll down to 26th so you see the position of moon; you can move it where you need to, and on the far right you see what direction it is, and how high. You can switch the date so you can do planning for a coming day.

I used that when I was hunting for the comet Neowise, and the  nigh sky feature will let you see where the constellations and planets / stars are during the night at your chosen time:

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/usa/san-francisco

You can scroll the time, and you can turn the sky as well as your direction.

When you're out "in the field" you need to know your directions, and your phone can probably help you with that. You can even get an app that tells you what star you're looking at when you hold your phone up.

I only got about half of the smaller flower bed cleaned, because it took way longer than it should have -- there were lots of volunteer flowers coming up, and I didn't have the heart just to toss them, so I found a new home for a lot of them, hoping they'll grow there and bring joy to butterflies.

Thanks Sari. I bookmarked those so I can find them next time. I have been known to transplant "good" plants when weeding the yard too. Definitely time consuming. Hopefully they flourish where ever you put them.  I was more tired than I had hoped after having trouble getting to sleep last night then getting up so early for the photo shoot this morning. Ended up crashing for a few hours at noon. Still tired, but not feeling like the walking dead anymore at least. I might be getting too old for those kinds of crazy schedules.

I don't know if those plants will survive or not, but there was no room for them where they were (there is still more to be pulled out, *sigh*), it's better for them to be growing/ blooming at a better spot. We have a "round garden" that I have tried to grow all kinds of things in, and nothing ever survives as SOMETHING always kills most of what I put in there (except for my five stalks of asparagus that keep coming back - LOL!) - so I moved them there and I hope they grow and bloom - THIS time around... ha ha ha..... ha.........

We had storms rolling through yesterday, and we got another two inches of rain (whoah). Should have two days of partly / mostly sunny before the next rain 😮

After the storms were done last night I finally checked my trail cam SD cards, and found a BADGER of all things on one. I didn't even know we have badgers! Sadly the camera caught it late and it rushes by quickly, and of course at night, so it's even harder to see.

badger05272021.thumb.jpg.b3c486c2ccb18b93ca1328f4eb146524.jpg

The ears are unlike any animal around here! :D

Cool on the badger. I wouldn't have known what it was. LOL. I'm so not up on my wildlife. I'm sure your pastures appreciated the rain even if it was a lot all at once. Always better if it comes at a slower pace so the ground can soak it up and the plants benefit.

Reviews are so freaking random. Why is it the bottom one was approved but the top one was rejected for intellectual property? All the images are mine and the concept is not trademarked. So annoying. 

1814963911_ScreenShot2021-05-28at11_03_24AM.thumb.png.a22a12ce08c351ecff2ce9318a906b10.png

Took Sebastian for some play time at the dog park then my husband and I went out to lunch with him. He did really good just sitting there next to the table while we ate lunch (he wanted our food and of course my husband gives him pieces of his hamburger). Usually when we are around lots of people he wants to play with everyone so the run at the park ahead of time was a good way to settle him down a bit. Outdoor dining at the open mall near us. I need to work on photos but I'm lacking motivation right now.

Sheila - that's awesome on the turkeys!  :D

We've had them in the yard, but that was a few years ago. They're so skittish around here that if they see anyone moving, they disappear. I've seen one walking by itself in the pastures, one time it was maybe 300 feet from the house, and that's close considering the dogs are outside most of the time, and if they spot a turkey, they go take a closer look which will scare it off.

Just had TWO days of no rain - but tomorrow and tomorrow night we have 80-90% chance of rain again. Maybe my transplanted flowers will survive with the help of rain :P

That rejection for IP is quite baffling - who the he** knows?

That is cool that the turkeys are around. Awesome on Sebastian behaving while you ate.

Sari I hope you have enough rain for your transplanted plants.

I need to find some motivation to get rid of the lantana forest at the front of the property. It is an invasive weed here and is taking over. In one sense it is a pity to get rid of it because the butterflies love it.

Yeah, around here, the turkeys aren't to shy of people. They let me get about 6 feet or less from them, then they start walking away. But not in any kind of rush. I heard them again today, but they didn't come down the street. My husband said it would be cool to have an entire group of them just walking down the street (by cool, he means get a photo and video of them doing this activity). I know some neighborhoods (not on the island) have had issues in the past of mass invasions by turkeys and they did a lot of damage not only to the landscaping but to cars too. Not sure what the locals would do if we had large numbers of them. Probably call out animal control.

I resubmitted the rejected image and it was accepted so yeah. IP rejections definitely have no rhyme or reason to them.

Only a week to go and I'll be in Arizona. Starting to pack stuff now as I have random items all over the house for the grandson and new baby. It actually is taking up half my suitcase at this point so my dtr is sticking some of it in hers. It's either that or do another package delivery shipment before we leave. Didn't realize I'd been buying so many little things. LOL. Looking forward to the trip but dreading stuff getting done here that needs to be done. The raspberries need to be picked pretty much daily still and I don't see that changing for several weeks so I have to add that to the list of things I. need my son and husband to do while I'm gone. Hopefully my garden doesn't die.

OMG, we had to pick Sebastian up to take him into the bathroom so I could give him a shower (he rolled in the dirt at the puppy playground today) but once he was in there, he walked into the shower and sat down then looked up at me like "ok, lets get this over and done with". I was dying laughing. He is all nice and floofy clean, running around rolling his face on the carpet to get it dryer. It's hysterical.

Sheila - your pupper is learning that fighting is futile, haha :D

When is the big day for the g'daughter?

Oh yeah, we got to see the Starlink satellite train last night flying over. I'm sure they've been across "our" piece of sky many times, but I never thought to check the timing. It was lightly cloudy and I was pretty sure we wouldn't see them, but once they showed up, they traveled across a spot in the sky that was almost clear. As the line of them disappeared to the south, ANOTHER followed, which was a nice surprise, as I only expected to see one line, and we got two :)

If anyone is interested in checking them out, this is a helpful site -

https://findstarlink.com/

The site said they would be very dim, but we saw them anyway, so even if the circumstances are not the best, it's worth a shot!

Sari, she's due June 10th, but the C-Section is scheduled for June 8th. So only aa bit over a week to go. My dtr finished work on Friday (classes ended for her students earlier in the week but the teachers all had to finish up their end of the year work) so now she gets a week off before the chaos of parenting doubles. Fortunately, her MIL lives close by about 20 min away so she has been helping with Wyatt here and there as well so they're not totally without support.  I need to start writing up all the things that need to be done each day so my son can check them off as he does them. We still have the kittens we are fostering too til Saturday. I had to tell them twice that we're bringing them back in on Saturday because they confirmed the date as Sunday to return them. But our flight is early sunday morning so yeah. No. LOL. They are getting big and much more socialized than they were when we got them so except for the loss of the one, we did good this time. Having the playpen to confine them during the night definitely. helps. They aren't consistent in their litter box use and they make quite the mess with the food. Not a big deal when you're keeping them in a bathroom with tile floors, but we've been putting them in the kids computer room so they'll have more people interaction time. Still going to have to steam clean the carpet in there when we get back from AZ.

Wendy, here, we only get 6 weeks off for maternity leave (8 weeks if one has a c-section) so we tend to work as long as possible. Since she just got her teaching license, she doesn't have a regular contract yet so she wanted to work as long as possible so she'd have the entire time off paid. They have two pay structures for teachers. one is where they make more each month but no income when they're not working and one where they make a certain amt (salary) and it's stretched out so you get a paycheck every month even during the summer when they're not working. She chose the latter of course. 

Worked a vaccine clinic an hour inland. Temp difference between here and there. 30 degrees F. it was almost 100 degrees when I walked out of the vaccine clinic and when I got home it's in the high 60's. Feels cold by comparison.