• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I may as well reveal what I made at that cruise ship market here on Kangaroo Island. The amount was $230. I'm sure that other market stall owners made record earnings as well. There's also a chance th

Posted Images

Our oven died. No power to it at all. I flipped the switch at the circuit breaker to see if it had been tripped (dedicated breaker for the double oven) and no joy. Can't cook anything. They told me almost 5 years ago when we had to do a major repair on it (right after moving in) that it was on it's last leg and the parts are no longer available for it so I guess we've hit the time to start looking for a new oven. Inconvenient and expensive. It's an in wall mounted convection oven so the unit alone is pricy. Then I have to pay for someone to install it. Hopefully they're all the same size so the new one will fit the opening. Need to look at a few places to see what kind of deal I can get (but still quality).

I had to replace our oven last year ... finding one the right size and the configuration we wanted was a challenge,  good luck on the research.

I just had a new one, my self portrait MR got rejected. So I asked why.

The reply

"The model release attached is not acceptable as we require the full names of the photographer, model, and witness (If the photographer is the same model, you will also need to submit an ID with your photo). "

So the witness was only initials, surname and signature (what the witness was inclined to offer)  ... never a problem before ... and I cant find anything that says an ID is needed for a self portrait, considering they already have ID on file that seems rather superfluous.

So as far as I am concerned I dont think SS will getting any MR stuff from me anymore .... at this rate I wont have anything to upload if I feel inclined.

I am feeling less and less inclined to upload to be honest!

That's ridiculous on the model release Wendy. As you say, they already have a copy of our DL on file. I haven't done any self model videos or photos recently so I haven't had the frustration of model released submissions, probably in over a year. Might do some MR imagery and video when we are in Arizona, but we'll see how cooperative the prospective models are :D

Went this morning to check our local hardware store and see what appliances they have. The person who works that dept didn't even show up til 10:30 so I had to kill some time in the garden dept while I waited, but it seems to have been worth it. I was concerned because all the floor models were 30" and the space I have to work with is 27" but they have other sizes available online and she was able to find one almost exactly like the one we currently have (except it's a Frigidaire instead of a Thermador) and it's 1K less than the cheaper model I saw online at Airport Home Appliance, so hey. It's a deal. She put in a referral for installation and pending the cost of that, I'll order the replacement oven. Kind of a moot point really as I need to replace it so the cost of instillation is what it is. But I also wanted to show all the paperwork to my husband before I put out a few K on the unit. He looked over the specs and life expectancy etc and didn't make any rude animalistic noises, so I take that as an affirmative to go ahead.

My youngest dtr stayed in the kitten room quite late and they all apparently fell asleep on her last night so she didn't want to move. I think losing the one has made her super paranoid too because she texted me to see if she should get the heating disc out of the playpen and put it next to them or is her body heat enough to keep them warm. 

My uploading of images has come to a standstill except as a matter of incidental occurrence as I had taken the photo anyway or think it will work good for AS and IS. I throw up a couple of images that I just recently had accepted on AS and IS and they are flat out rejected here after more than several attempts. I find it arrogant and conceited that such a platform places such high demands on accepting content while paying a pittance to the contributor.   

Sheila, sorry to hear about the loss of the kitten. What a beautiful looking cat.

Steven, your are right on with your analysis of SS. It's really an unhealthy relationship between contributor and agency.

Wendy, that's messed up with the model release form requirements. I have submitted a few self portraits here in the past but I didn't have much success with sales with those particular images.

Something unbelievable has happened today. I was beginning to think it wasn't possible (at least for me.) I sold a video through AS for the very first time. Crazy. A nice sales figure too - $29.90. I have been submitting photos and videos to AS for a few years but had only sold photos there before. P5 and SS were the only agencies I could count on for video sales.....until today.

Congrats on the first video sale on AS Patrick! Onwards and upwards! :D  Video sales on AS for me are fairly sporatic, but have become a bit more regular over the last year, averaging 1-2/month. Definitely helps the bottom line $$ wise.

The ovens are all out of stock at Home Depot. Even though it said it was available when I was there earlier. I couldn't get through via phone so I had to go back in in person and she couldn't order anything. All out of stock with no idea when they'd be back in. So I went to Airport Home Appliance (which was no where near the airport) and found something similar (GE instead of Frigidaire) it was a few hundred more but not enough to be a deal breaker. So I went ahead and ordered that even though it'll be 4=6 weeks before it arrives. My husband thinks it won't show up anytime this year because of the computer chip shortage, but we'll see.Being without an oven wasn't an option IMO. Then my husband pulled on the top panel of the oven and the power came on to it. So I guess it has a loose connection somewhere. I already ordered the new unit (and we really need it anyway) so I'm leaving things as is, but at least we aren't unable to cook in an oven now. I'm sure it'll die again at some point. It has several times since we've moved in and we did one major repair right after we moved here that took several months because the parts aren't available for it anymore so we had to send the computer panel in to be rebuilt back east. Anyway. Fun times (not).

Taking the youngest to get her second shot in half an hour. That'll make everyone except my husband fully vaccinated now. His second shot is in a few weeks still.

Well done Patrick, I dont sell much on AS but the returns are way better on there than here. I dont do vid ....  I have never had a problem with the MR before here so I was really surprised. Anyway I have just deleted the rest of the images from my "upload" folder. I wont be bothering with any more released images here. It is not worth the angst to be honest. I have sold a few of the MR selfies before ... I wont share as they have all been health related, with nasty infections. etc

Sheila this week is the first time I have been eligible for a shot. I have to make an appointment. AZ is my only option, they have finally ordered Moderna but that wont be here till late in the year. Pfizer wont be provided close by because of the storage issues. Both the male units have had their first AZ

The oven scenario sounds like a nightmare .... at least you have not had to resort to a propane camping stove (though getting take=away sounds like a good plan) 🙂

Yay, Patrick, hopefully the sales continue from here on out! :)

Wendy - I don't have very many MR pics, but facing that frustration it would surely put me off from doing any.  Too much trouble.

Sheila - yeah the chip shortage is affecting everything. I've tried to find backup storage for my pics and everywhere I look, they're "out of stock" on the sizes I want.

Our stove is one of the cheapest we could find at the store 15 years ago - I know the price was in hundreds, not in thousands. But it's not a convection oven, either.  The needs of a 2 person household are not great :P

It appears we might be in for some wet weather, here's our forecast -

may16-20forecast.thumb.JPG.780cfab504b5eebcf6480bc096769a80.JPG

and it's supposed to go on like that till at least Saturday.

Probably next Sunday I'll be whining "I wish it would rain, the forecast was wrong..."

Steve, Sheila, Wendy and Sari, thanks for the good words on the video sale. I'm still amazed I managed to get one through AS. Sari, Ive a strong feeling that this is an isolated incident! Sheila, it sounds like you are very successful with video sales at AS. My photo sales over there used to be reasonably decent for a small sized portfolio. But later on, they may have changed their search algorithm (as many suspected) and my sales fell off a cliff and never really recovered. These days, I get an occasional  photo sale from them every once in a while.

Sari,  could adjust to the full name requirement, but I am NOT going to submit and ID to what is essentially an insecure area. It was pointed out to me that they dont keep the ID on file so what happens when it is submitted via the MR area. We have no idea how trustworthy/honest the inspectors are,  having a steady stream of IDs could make identity theft a real possibility, Now way says I!

Have fun with the rain :P

Patrick hopefully the flood gates are open for you! Have confidence in yourself!

Wendy, Ive been submitting videos to AS for years. And this is the first time Ive ever sold a clip through them. So it's definitely a rare event. It's not about the confidence in me. It's about the amount of confidence I have in AS. I have a lot more faith in P5 for giving me video sales....though unfortunately, things have died down there in recent times.

And yea good point about the potential for identity theft. We should be careful how much information we provide about people on MR forms. You do have to wonder about the integrity of the reviewers. 

36 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy, Ive been submitting videos to AS for years. And this is the first time Ive ever sold a clip through them. So it's definitely a rare event. It's not about the confidence in me. It's about the amount of confidence I have in AS. I have a lot more faith in P5 for giving me video sales....though unfortunately, things have died down there in recent times.

And yea good point about the potential for identity theft. We should be careful how much information we provide about people on MR forms. You do have to wonder about the integrity of the reviewers. 

I think AS is a hard nut to crack Patrick.

I am not casting any doubts on the integrity of the reviewers but more the security of the system, there are protocols in place for the IDs for banking etc. That is a different system to the MRs that stay on file. They are not allowed to keep the IDs on file legally so how do they handle the ones that come with the MR  ... if they are attached to the MR in one scan .... then that is a lot of information ....all in one place ... I wasnt keen on providing the ID in the first place ... I am certainly not going to provide it with a MR ... as I said no more people shots for here.  

Wendy yea very good points about the security of the system in place. And there's also the fact that SS no longer allows contributors to opt out of sensitive use scenarios for models. So these days, models could end up in all sorts of embarrassing advertising campaigns if the images are purchased through SS.  

Sheila the train track is about a mile and a half north, and there are normally just two trains per day - or one at night, one during the day, usually. They don't always whistle at the crossings (there is one for every road, so one per mile), either, and you don't hear them going by if the wind is from south. If it's calm or light wind from the north, you can hear it :(

Wendy - yeah, living close to any railroad type track that has a lot of traffic would be horrible.

I mostly forget that there's a railroad up north because you notice it so seldom.

Well, despite of the forecast for thunderstorms I posted the other day - we haven't had ANY yet. We've had some light rain or drizzle a couple of times, but no thunder whatsoever. The forecast has been way off, considering it was between 70 and 90% chances for the last two days and nights.

My GoPro is sleeping on my desk, depressed that it doesn't have anything to do :P

My coneflowers didn't grow back this year. Got some weeds growing there instead so I went out and got some cosmos flowers to plant there instead for the butterflies. Hopefully they'll do better long term. Planting more parsley (larger area) for the old world swallowtail butterflies too since they've eaten half the patch I have already this year (the caterpillars, I haven't actually seen any but they're definitely busy). Doing some violets too. they've never really done well here but I'll give it one more shot as a smaller border around the outside area of the other plants since they don't grow as big. Hoping to have a decent butterfly garden this year.

Coneflowers should be kinda easy as they are perennials, the Cosmos flowers are annuals. They're equally pretty, though, and butterflies like both :)

I have a parsley from last year (yeah it's for the butterflies) that's HUGE already. Hopefully the Black Swallowtails find it before it dies 😮

I've seen some fly around a few times, but no eggs on the plant.

Yeah, I still had some parsley from last year too, but it's looking pretty scraggly, so I figured I'd plant some more. I thought the coneflowers should be easy to keep each year, but they just didn't grow. Our weather has been bipolar at best so they may not be happy with the constantly changing temps.  I am still putting the copper tape on all the pots too. Sliced my finger on it today so I didn't finish the last two pots with strawberries in them. I'll give my finger a few days to heal then finish those up. Worse than a paper cut because it's so much deeper and wider, but the tape seems to be doing the job keeping the slugs and snails out of the plants so I'll keep on putting it on them. Next big project is to remove most of the stump from the cluster of palm trees in the center island then I'll put another raised planter area in the middle ish of that either for more butterfly plants or I'll do a small veggie garden there depending on how much space it gives me once I get it done. The stump is quite large so it's going to take me a few months to get it out. The other palm tree is mostly gone now too (yay). Partly by accident It rotted at the base and one of the three broke when I fell into it working in that section of the yard, so I just removed it. Then looking at the base, the other larger one was going to do the same so I just cut it down. My husband isn't happy because he likes the palm trees, but I hate them so I'm just fine with it. The one remaining "tree" from it (they produce multiple trunks from the same base) is only about a foot tall Still trying to decide if it's even worth leaving that one in there.