The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

He's adorable! Looks like you've got yourself a cute little new model there. What does the other cat think of him? Or have they officially met yet? We (the shelter) recommend taking some of the kittens bedding and putting it near the other cat so s/he can become familiar with his scent so they're not as aggressive when they actually meet face/face.

• Replies 46.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

18 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Just adopted a Persian kitten (Jesse) yesterday. He's so adorable and tiny. Not 10 weeks old yet. He's actually a relative of Simba my other Persian who sadly passed away in December which left us heart broken. Jesse's great grandfather is Simba's grandfather and was the only boy in two litters from the only cattery we know still breeding Simba's bloodline so fortunate to secure him. He's got a designated room to himself while we gradually introduce him to the household which includes another Persian cat Misty. Took these photos just for Facebook, so no studio setup or lights just camera and lens.

What a cute bundle of fluff!

8 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

He's adorable! Looks like you've got yourself a cute little new model there. What does the other cat think of him? Or have they officially met yet? We (the shelter) recommend taking some of the kittens bedding and putting it near the other cat so s/he can become familiar with his scent so they're not as aggressive when they actually meet face/face.

Not sure what Misty thinks yet due to arranged separation in the house, but can tell she suspects something. Misty is pretty easy going but nonetheless need to do a gradual introduction. Yes we're doing 'scent swapping' too and will try a brief period of 'location swapping' today. 

Steven - little baby kitties know how to wrap people around their tiny little toe beans :D

I remember when, many many years ago, I brought Pipsqueak in the house. She was little, probably 8-10 weeks or so, and MamaCat was the only cat left in the house at that time. She stayed away from Pipsqueak, watching her from the loft; she didn't want to have anything to do with her. One day I caught her literally SMILING when she watched Pipsqueak playing downstairs, the adorable way that only itty bitty kitten play. The next day, she came downstairs TO PLAY WITH PIPSQUEAK... LOL!! :D

She just couldn't resist the cuteness, either :D

But yeah, that's the last kitten she played with. All the ones that arrived after Pipsqueak, MamaCat never played with them, she just told them to leave her alone. She had played with her own kittens Jack, Shadow and PunkinHead even after they grew up, but sadly Jack and Shadow both died just as they turned 3 - the vet thought it was probably Cytauxzoonosis; a lethal disease that cats can get from bobcats via ticks. Shadow was the cat who loved everyone, and everyone loved her, and Jack was the cat who changed my "dogs only" husband to a "cats are awesome, too" person. So, the loss was horrible.

PunkinHead, the last one of MamaCat's babies, lived to be 9, but as absolutely pretty as  she was, she was also the most antisocial cat ever, poor thing. So she had to live outdoors for her to have enough space from any other animals.

Yeah, cats, like people, can have quite quirky personalities. Jasmine never accepted Ariel at all where as Nemo tolerated her. Ariel is taking a long time to warm up to Sebastian and I'm sure a lot of that has to do with how she was treated when she first arrived here too. She's a lot more demanding of attention from people than she used to be, esp since she used to sleep on our bed and now the dog took her spot there so she sleeps right outside our door in a pseudo cat post (fluffy bed I have clamped to a pile of file boxes stacked up) so she's close enough to see and hear us. And if Jasmine is in one of her moods she'll actually come into our room despite the dog because it's still safer than a confrontation with Jasmine.

The AI for video reviews is having delusions. I just had two protest march clips rejected for nudity of all things. Now, my vision isn't the best but I know for damn sure none of these young adults and teenagers were nude. There are enough issues with the upload process that they don't need to add reuploading into the mix.

19 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Steven - little baby kitties know how to wrap people around their tiny little toe beans :D

I remember when, many many years ago, I brought Pipsqueak in the house. She was little, probably 8-10 weeks or so, and MamaCat was the only cat left in the house at that time. She stayed away from Pipsqueak, watching her from the loft; she didn't want to have anything to do with her. One day I caught her literally SMILING when she watched Pipsqueak playing downstairs, the adorable way that only itty bitty kitten play. The next day, she came downstairs TO PLAY WITH PIPSQUEAK... LOL!! :D

She just couldn't resist the cuteness, either :D

But yeah, that's the last kitten she played with. All the ones that arrived after Pipsqueak, MamaCat never played with them, she just told them to leave her alone. She had played with her own kittens Jack, Shadow and PunkinHead even after they grew up, but sadly Jack and Shadow both died just as they turned 3 - the vet thought it was probably Cytauxzoonosis; a lethal disease that cats can get from bobcats via ticks. Shadow was the cat who loved everyone, and everyone loved her, and Jack was the cat who changed my "dogs only" husband to a "cats are awesome, too" person. So, the loss was horrible.

PunkinHead, the last one of MamaCat's babies, lived to be 9, but as absolutely pretty as  she was, she was also the most antisocial cat ever, poor thing. So she had to live outdoors for her to have enough space from any other animals.

Oh yeah, he's done that for sure. I'm a bit of a doting daddy with these Persians. Adorable animals that make the world a better place. 

Glad to read Mamacat coming around to befriend Pipsqueak like that. Awesome!

Getting a warming spell here and the mask mandates are being relaxed for fully vaccinated ppl (which includes me). Looking forward to getting out to start doing more nature photography soon. Missing my communal with nature time.

Also hit tier 5 for photos yesterday. That's probably as high as I'll go. Tier 3 for video earlier this month. That's as high as I ever hit last year as well. It'd be nice to be back at 30% for video though. Still adding tons of editorial footage in hopes that boosts some of the sales (they're definitely starting to sell more).

I've barely made to 4 on pics and 2 on videos. Chances are I won't get to 5 on pics till the very end of the year, if then. I do hope to make it to 3 on videos, but as well, it will take probably another half a year, and who knows, maybe longer. It just depends so much how lucky one gets with the video sales.

We've had almost 4" of rain in the last 10 days or so, which is not super much, but it feels like a lot for some reason, as everything is soppy wet right now.

Luckily we missed the huge hail storms that were going on in Texas and out south west from here last night. They did a lot of damage - here's a clip from Texas showing some of it -

https://www.cnn.com/videos/weather/2021/04/29/tx-severe-storms-hail-damage-orig.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

Now that the rain has passed for the next couple of days, anyway --  😮  -- I need to plant the two roses I ordered last week. After the deep freeze a couple of months back, I thought Oscar's rose was dead as it was the only one not coming back and starting to grow, while the other roses were going on strong already, and I ordered a rose to replace his, and also one for Otto (Binky) since he didn't have one yet. So, the day I got the notice that the roses had shipped I noticed Oscar's rose was coming back from the root, very tiny, but alive.

So now I have an extra rose to find a spot for... that figures...LOL!! :D

Y'all must be busy bees, nobody's here :D  😮

I've been trying to get my garden going; the Butterfly bushes are still only coming back from the roots, which is sad because the biggest one was about 7 feet all and equally wide. The others were smaller, as they are much younger plants, but even they were 4+ feet tall. They would be starting to bloom soon on the normal schedule. But now, they're a foot high, tops, because they had to start all over :( Will be a long time before any of them bloom.

We have a high chance of storms later today, but we'll see - we were also supposed have rain on Sunday, but that missed us by a long shot.

This morning I saw a Yellow-headed Blackbird for the first time ever, that was pretty neat. Apparently they only migrate through here, so no nesting or hanging out here for the summer.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/yellow-headed_blackbird/id

Got my first covid shot on Friday; next one in three weeks. My shoulder was mildly sore on Saturday, but that was it.

Yep, keeping busy. Did some yard work here too. Two of my butterfly bushes totally died but one is coming back strong. I guess I won't cut them back as much this year as I did last year. I trimmed them back to promote them to be more bushy. I planted a few new ones but only a couple have survived with my irratic watering schedule (the irrigation system on that side of the house is busted. It's on my fix it list). Pulled weeds from the walkway out back and in the small patch of "yard" that's supposed to be moss. it's mostly not moss. Planning to put in a walkway with concrete square pavers along the side of the raspberries to make it easier for me to walk out there when it's time to pick (there are hundreds of fruit on the vines now so we are going to have a bumper crop this year for sure). But the walkway will have to wait as I was worn out after doing all the weeding then blowing the debris off the patio, etc. Pulled all the weeds growing in the cracks in the concrete too. My husband even sat out back to read in his nice cleaned up green space :D 

My son got his second vaccine today so our house hold is now 75% vaccinated. My husband and daughter have gotten their first doses so once they get their second ones (in 1 and 2 weeks) we will be ready to rejoin the world. yay. 

Have been busy as well.  Today was running around to appointments with the spousal unit!

I still have not managed to get my butterfly garden growing, the animals keep digging up my soil building exercises.

That is a beautiful bird Sari!

As for Covid, the spousal unit and the father have had their first shot, Next one is 12 weeks from the first. I can get one mid May "if" there is any supply and "if" they dont change their minds on eligibility etc.

Wendy - what vaccine has such a long time before the 2nd shot? I thought my Mom was mixing up dates when she said when her next shot is, but she must have had the same one your hubby got.

We got some rain last night/ this morning, but all the storms went elsewhere, which is fine by me.

I'm guessing that's the Astra/Zeneca vaccine, although it says the second dose can be administered 4-12 weeks after the first. I'm guessing they're rationing doses to get more people their first shots.

Got a text asking if I can foster some kittens. Hopefully they're not as sick as the last batch we had where they all didn't survive. Only info I have so far is that they're underweight for their age.

Yes it is the AZ ... there is a limited supply at this stage ...

The Pfizer one I think is only 2 weeks

They are the only 2 approved here at this stage.

Sheila I hope the kittens are healthier .... having sick animals is stressful.

A little update here. 

We are both vaccinated and are now in Massachusetts as my sister-in-law broke her ankle and cannot walk at present. We hope she can get a walking cast on it at her next visit to the doctor. But even so, she is at least 10 weeks off driving.

We are filling in time by redoing her yard. We completely dug up one section which was a mix of grass with some nice wild flowers. The flowers were saved and planted elsewhere and I have now created a flower bed, laid landscaping paper and mulch on top of that. It has taken 15 bags of mulch so far. I have also laid a 'crazy paving' style path through the flower bed. I didn't have quite enough rock to finish it so bought another 165 lbs of rock at the garden center. Should have the whole project completed this week, weather permitting.

We did take a weekend out to visit my daughter and granddaughter in deepest darkest Brooklyn, NY. We had a great time and I was able to take a few shots of Brooklyn and the farmers market there. The hotel we stayed in had a roof terrace and I was able to take a couple of shots of the Lower Manhattan skyline at night. I've never really done nighttime photography before so it was a bit of a learning curve.  I'm relatively happy with the results for myself but I don't think they are good enough for SS

5 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

The Pfizer one I think is only 2 weeks

In the U.S., Pfizer is 21 days (3 weeks) between doses and Moderna is 28 days (4 weeks). We don't have Astra Zenica authorized here yet and the J&J is back in use (single dose). they don't tell you what you're getting though (here) til you show up the first time. And that determines what you get the next time. I think what they're giving depends on what they can get too. Because the site I was working was originally giving the Moderna then switched to the Pfizer so at one point, we had two lines and were being very cautious about who was getting what on the second doses.

Kittens are doing well. the three smaller ones are actually less frightened than the slightly larger two so I was able to get a few shots last night. Had to clean up some eye goop but otherwise they look pretty good. Probably give them a bath in a week or so when they're a bit more chunky so they don't get so cold.

three-adorable-baby-tabby-kittens-600w-1

Charles - I broke my ankle some years back and there was no hecking way I would have walked on that in a walking cast. The Dr told me to stay completely off of it, and even then it took longer than expected (I'm sure when we get older we heal slower).

The most important thing was the PT afterwards, though, to regain mobility and strength.

When I got my shot they asked me which one I wanted, and I figured since the Pfizer one has a shorter wait till the next shot, that it would be a better choice. They did have the J&J listed on the website, but they didn't offer it at all, the other option was the Moderna shot.

Sheila - such cuties! :) Love the strong tabby coloring with a hint of reddish brown, it always makes them look extra cute :)

Sari, I like the color contrast with them too. Still trying to work out differences so we can keep track of who weighs what each time. So we'll use colored collars just to be sure :) 

We have a date for my dtr's c-section so airline tickets and hotel reservations are made. Going to use one of their cars while we are there as car rentals are over $400/day for the cheapest cars 😵 Looking forward to doing some Arizona photography (and photos of our grandson) despite the fact that the weather is going to be hot hot hot in June. Buying some shorts and capris even though I look terrible in them (can we say white? I almost never wear shorts so my legs are like a ghost).

Sheila it would bne nice if the guidelines were the same in each country ... we dont get a choice of which shot we get, though AZ is not approved for anyone under 50.

The kittens are very cute.

Ooooh another grandbaby to cuddle :) As for looking terrible in shorts, I hear ya, but wear them anyway!

Charles, ouch, that is good that you could go and help your SIL, I bet she appreciates the work in the garden. The longer she stays off that foot the better I think.

Kittens are getting more comfortable with people sounds and sights of and even starting to play with string and feathers dangled in front of them. The smallest is 0.5 lbs and the biggest is just over a pound. Now I just need to work on a shot list so I can set up some studio time with them :D 

Argh after not submitting for a while because I was sulking, I tried submitting, firstly the FTPS would not connect and then the model release was rejected ... seriously for dime sale I dont know why I bother!!! The model release is the same format I have used before.... then I sent a support ticket in and got a person called Kevin who is not an employee etc etc etc about as useful as mammary glands on a male bovine!!! I think I will go back to sulking again, I dont need that angst!