• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today :-)

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

I thought it was the contrary, in that it is the safest place to be with the greatest protection? But then what do I know 🙂

I guess underground is good but not here buildings will collapse and fall on the shelter preventing you getting out.

Basement can be and is often the safest place to be in a tornado. It's great if one has one, but around here almost nobody has a basement. People believe that the ground here is not suitable for basements (which may have been the case 70-80 years ago but  technology has since advanced a wee bit), so nobody builds one for their house.

So, people typically have storm shelters. Some are out in the yard, some are in the garage.

I don't know about other states, but here if you get a storm shelter, you register it with the emergency management officials of your county or city, so that when a storm happens and your house is gone with the wind, they can come check on you and make sure you made it out OK from your shelter.

Wendy - yeah, no way to build a tornado proof house. A brick house will collapse if a tornado strong enough hits it. Of course, not all tornadoes are EF4 or EF5, so your house might stand if it's made of brick. Most houses around here, however, are cheaply built, so yeah, they will get blown away even in a EF2  tornado.  EF Scale in Wiki

People think that tornado is just a wind blowing hard, which is partially true. The main thing is not that the wind blows, but WHAT the wind blows. When it tears up a house and 2x4s start flying around at 100-200 mph, it means that anything they hit will get demolished, too. Or a metal roof coming at you or your house from someplace else, swirling in the wind. What the wind blows is what does the damage.

In early 2000s, we lived in Kansas, and on our trips we went through the city of Greensburg a few times. In 2007, an EF5 tornado went through there, too...

Here's a pic of a brick building - or what used to be one before the storm

image2766034.jpg

More here  https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/greensburg-tornado/

It was a monster storm, 1.7 miles wide at its worst. Those things are very rare, but they do happen.

Yeah, it is scary. When one levels a town so completely that you can't tell where your house was, or where you are standing because there is nothing recognizable left, it's really bad.

In the meanwhile, it's sunny and windy here, 77F for a high, wind advisory, and a fire weather warning for today.

I have tons of gardening stuff to do, but I don't want to be out in that wind.

I've seen lots of movies with tornados. Never been in one and I hope I never am. I suppose all areas of the country have their individual  weather/environmental related risks/hazards. I (personally) am ready to move out of California, but I'm not sure where I'd go. I don't really handle extremes of temperatures well.

44 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I've seen lots of movies with tornados. Never been in one and I hope I never am. I suppose all areas of the country have their individual  weather/environmental related risks/hazards. I (personally) am ready to move out of California, but I'm not sure where I'd go. I don't really handle extremes of temperatures well.

I think wherever you go there are weather challenges. I have seen a funnel cloud from a distance never been close to a tornado or water spout thank goodness.

1 minute ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Got home from working tonight to chicken gnocchi. Yum. I baked a chicken yesterday and my husband used the leftovers to make soup. It's more like stew, but instead of dumplings, we put in gnocchi. It actually turns out quite good.

sounds nice Sheila .... I am very unimaginative when it comes to food I have to admit!

I'm not much of a cook either, but my husband likes to play with ingredients so he creates a lot of tasty dishes. A few come out in such a way that I won't eat them, usually because he makes them too spicy for my reflux. My youngest likes her food super spicy too. And while I do like spicy food for the flavors, I'm not keen on the after effects and pain that persists.

Made myself a spanish cheat sheet for when I'm working at the vaccine site and apparently I should've made copies. It was quite popular with the other nurses that were working there. We tend to get a rush of non english speaking residents late each afternoon as the agricultural workers get off shift and we tend to only have 1-3 interpreters available for the entire site so if there are no major issues and I just need to give information, it's easier (and faster) to have the basic phrases memorized (and written down for reference until such time as I retain them in my memory) so we can get through the line faster.

I rarely cook anything that "has a name". I just look what I have and what of that I can combine somehow. Typically it's simple, no frills. "Mystery Meal" is an accurate name for most anything I make :P  I just call it "composing a meal"  like you'd compose music - you got ingredients, you just put them together.

And no, I don't like cooking. I consider eating and cooking a waste of time :P If only I could get by without them :P 

Sheila that cheat sheet is a great idea. Now make copies for your buddies :)

So now we're under a freeze warning for the morning hours. Wonder what's next? :unsure:

On 3/30/2021 at 11:05 PM, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Got home from working tonight to chicken gnocchi. Yum. I baked a chicken yesterday and my husband used the leftovers to make soup. It's more like stew, but instead of dumplings, we put in gnocchi. It actually turns out quite good.

Just a note, and hopefully not too picky but Gnocchi is small potato dumplings in Italian. 😁 I love dumplings too, all kinds, I bought some Spaetzle which is small pieces of boiled dough, so basically another kind of dumpling. I remember Mom's dumplings, I could probably never make them, as good. Maybe 3" at most, slightly flattened, light, fluffy and light taste. Once I was invited to dinner by a Brazilian family and the lady made dumplings with the roast. Oh sure... it was about the size of a large softball, heavier, and also very good.

Just for those of us who make easy fast meals, one of my favorites is, go buy a "yesterday's" rotisserie chicken, start the grill, sprinkle on some home grown Oregano and Basil, maybe lemon pepper. and magic, I have an Italian chicken! 😎 Microwaved vegetables aren't just fast, they are steamed and hold much of the nutrition.

I'm beginning to think I missed a whole era, because I didn't start using a slow cooker until the last few years.

Yes, gnocchi is basically a dumpling but more firm. I actually looked up how to make them and they don't look hard but definitely time consuming. Ever since we went to Italy and discovered gnocchi for the first time, I've incorporated it more into our cooking :) 

So, I actually got super sick last night (I think) from the vaccine. Only lasted through the night but it was pretty wretched. Even puked once (yuk). So glad I didn't get the shift for today to work. I would've been ok as I feel better, but I'm still achy and tired so better not to anyway. Fortunately I have the weekend plus monday to rest up before my next run of four days in a row working.

And, yesterday was quite surprising on the downloads here. A couple of larger SOD downloads plus one nice $75 video sale (and a smaller video sale) so I'm already almost halfway to where I ended last month. Probably. not going to continue with that luck the entire month, but was nice to start out on a good day.

And happy Easter everyone! Not doing anything here for that this year.

Sheila I just read this morning that some people can get really sick from the vaccine, including puking. It means that it's doing a good job, you should be well protected! :) Certainly better than getting the damn plague!

Our state opened up the vaccinations for everyone over 16, but I have yet to look up more info on it.

Also, I've never even seen dumplings, much less eaten them. I'm probably missing out on something nice, haha :P

Dang, I also got a video DL yesterday, for a grand price of $6. Not getting rich on that anytime soon, or get the earnings up for the month.

That said, on last day of March I had a $60+ SOD, and that pretty much saved the entire month for me. At the last minute...

Stupid windy here again today, I'm SO over that wind.Unfortunately it will continue for another WEEK 😆

Sari, dumplings are basically bread that you put the dough into the soup (on top of it really) instead of baking it and it cooks to a bread texture inside but still wet on the outside. We just make it out of flour, salt, milk, etc. Gnocchi, you have to boil the potatoes then mash them without the skins (I actually got a press that one can put them through that squishes them into mash and removes the skin all at once) then you add a bit of flour and milk to those to make them a more dough consistency and roll tiny balls (time consuming to say the least). But they're quite good. Then you put them in what ever soup you are cooking and when they raise to the top, they're done cooking (again). It's more of a noodle consistency IMO.

And yeah, my husband mentioned the same thing. That I should be well protected now. The only thing I'm still having is the muscle aches and headache. Tylenol is my friend. I did run a bunch of errands this morning (biggest being our monthly costco run) and had to swing by DMV (went to the one at AAA so that was nice and fast - benifiet of membership) because the registration on the van expired a few weeks ago. The late fee wasn't much since it's only been a few weeks, but definitely needed to get that done before my schedule ramps back up. So the rest of the day Im vegging watching mindless TV for the most part while I try to finish up this blanket I started for the baby.

Great image Sari! I'd never get Sebastian to cooperate with anything like that. I couldn't even get him to cooperate with wearing sunglasses the last time I tried. I need to work with him more on things like that. Of course, he's only just 1 year old so he may mellow more as he gets older.