• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Wendy - what kind of software do you use for that, is it something specific?

We got about 2 inches of rain yesterday and early this morning, and a thunderstorm blew through between 3 and 4 am. It's soggy here now!  That should turn everything green if it ever warms up a little.

I do my initial sketches on paper, then in Photoshop and/or Illustrator. I then use a product called Embrilliance and yes it is specific for doing machine embroidery designs.  There are a couple of other programs around as well ... but this is the one I started with and am most comfortable with I have to admit.

Wendy, that is A LOT of rain. I hope the damages aren't too terrible.

We have dry weather for the next few weeks at least. And the same vaccine site just popped up on my deployment list so I signed up for four shifts in a row the first part of April. Wonder if it'll all be second doses or if they'll be splitting us up again to do first doses at one site and second doses at another. Either way, now that I know I can use a self inking stamp to fill in my name and signature boxes, I ordered one last week so that should be here well before my next shift. My writing was wretched by the end of the third day doing several hundred forms each time. That should speed up my processing time too.

The damages are horrendous Sheila. Thousands of people had to be evacuated. One couple watched their house float down the river. The flooding is widespread too not just localised. The crazy thing is that there are still some places that are in drought.  One thing that has been reported was the waterfalls on Uluru, that would be something to see, it has been bone dry when I have gone out there. The wildflowers will erupt after this too and that would be beautiful to see. The farmers are loving the rain but people who have had house inundation not so much.

What people dont seemto realise is that the more they build on flood plains the more likely they are to be flooded. The developers come along change the landscape and make matters worse. Sigh!

Using a stamp sounds good .... its sounds like the vaccination program is well under way. I put Dad's name down to be contacted when it becomes available here.

Yes, a good part of the problem with both the wildfires and the floods is the lack of foresight in where housing was developed. Flooding in what used to be marsh lands. Half of the island we live on is landfill, so that's going to be impacted as the water levels become elevated. Fortunately, our house is on part of the original land mass, but it likely won't become a serious issue while we live here anyway (but it impacts our ability to sell so it's good that we are on solid ground). 

And yes, using a stamp is definitely a plus. I didn't think it was legal, but for these events, we are working under a county employee so he assumes all responsibility for what we do (from what he told us at the last one). Any injections I was uncomfortable giving, he said he'd personally sign his name to. The only time that's really an issue is when there's an underlying condition that might cause an issue, the biggest being if they had had covid in the last 30 days (90 days recovered is better) but if they'd had it in the last 30 days, they still have antibodies and their body might act as if the vaccine were a new infection and they could end up in ICU. We only had two people who fit into that category that wanted the shot (said their doctor said it was ok) but after we explained the risks, they changed their minds and will come back in a month or two.  Hopefully your dad will get his soon. He's definitely higher on the priority list given his age and health concerns. I get my second shot next week.

he is, we are still very lucky here given the lack of infections. We do have some in the hospital that have come in from Papua New Guinea but they are either in hospital or in quarantine.

We have areas here that were swamp and have been built on, the next big cyclone we get will see them all flooded.

Was just in Sydney when this weather system started coming through and actually cut the stay there short by about 1/2 day to get back to Canberra, less there be flash flooding at some of the key exits back out on to the Hume Highway. The flooding in some parts of NSW is (or was) the worst in 50 to 60 years or more.

I grew up on Georges River (which leads onto Botany Bay) in East Hills and the East Hills Facebook community have just been reminiscing on the floods we use to get there. I remember two of them very well (1986 and 1988). You would not dare paddle a kayak or boat past the clothes line down our backyard less you be carried away in the torrent of 6 to 8 foot rushing water. Otherwise it was a nice large yard that backs on to the river. It was crazy.

The 1961 flood on Georges River at Moorebank (just a few mins drive away from where I grew up) just had a mention in this Sydney Morning Herald article with a photo. Our country is one of extreme weather events indeed.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/history-repeats-rescuer-from-1961-floods-says-lessons-not-learned-20210322-p57cwv.html       

3 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Oh yes Wendy, apparently Warragamba Dam had been spilling Sydney Harbour's worth of water each day into the Sydney basin during this current wet weather event. That's a massive amount of water there.

it sure is ... a pity we have not learned how to conserve that water :(

The amounts of water that have deluged parts of Australia are insane, and even worse in the light that other areas are still not getting any of it, but are too dry.

We had some exceptional flooding two years ago, but NOTHING like that. Some main roads were underwater for extended periods of time, as were people's houses that were built on flood plain.

We're getting some more rain, but nothing big... looking at the entire US weather forecast it looks like Alabama, Mississippi and southern Tennessee will see some extremely severe weather later this afternoon and evening. They're predicting very large hail and long track tornadoes, and of course high winds. The storms are also supposed to be moving extremely fast when they form. Sounds scary, I hope people living in that area take precautions.

Sheila I had a problem with the port number not sticking first up, and then the password thingy. Hope you get it sorted.

Sari I hope the weather events dont impact too much, I think the weather events have more impact these days because of the increase in population. Australia has always had weather extremes, it is just sometimes things seem co-operate to make things worse, this is one of those times.

Sheila did you get it to work again?

If not, what seems to be the reason for failure?

Wendy - they did have numerous long tracked tornadoes (some storm cells were consistently producing tornadoes as they moved over several hours), and a few fatalities.  I guess those states got lucky that the worst storms didn't go through very densely populated areas.

The forecast is not quite as bad today, but Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee are going to get some more of it again.

Sari, no. I haven't messed with it. Too much work to get done to waste time right now. The connection opens and it uploads but at the end it says error and upload incomplete. 

We are in for dry weather for some time. Looks like parts of the country are drowning in all the rain and the central areas are in what the news is calling the worst drought in over 120 years and they predict a very bad fire season upcoming.

It's uploading fine to P5. I probably wont mess with it again for SS til after I'm done getting all the files uploaded there. That's the last place I usually upload the video files (except for DP, which I'm still way behind since I didn't know til last year that they even took video content).

12 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila did you get it to work again?

If not, what seems to be the reason for failure?

Wendy - they did have numerous long tracked tornadoes (some storm cells were consistently producing tornadoes as they moved over several hours), and a few fatalities.  I guess those states got lucky that the worst storms didn't go through very densely populated areas.

The forecast is not quite as bad today, but Arkansas, Mississippi and Tennessee are going to get some more of it again.

Sari the tornadoes made the news here, including that there were some fatalities. How on earth do you build to be tornado proof?

That makes sense Sheila I was thinking more along the lines of what sort of building would be less likely to sustain tornado damage.  I was wondering how something like the mythical hobit dwelling would fare. I have no experience of tornadoes, so my mind was wandering.