The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Just got my appointment for my first dose of the covid vaccine. Crossing fingers they still have supply at that time and they don't cancel the appointment (heard that Kaiser had to cancel hundreds of appointments last month because they ran out of doses). So theoretically next week I'll get it.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Thank You, Wendy! Merry Christmas to everyone!  

Posted Images

I wouldn't have known that they have a web uploader for videos, but I got an email about it from them.

Do videos sell on DP? I stopped uploading pics there many years ago, and never once thought about videos. It's hard enough playing catch up at the two other sites I just started uploading them to.

19 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

My present hubby was named after his father but went by his middle name.

Yeah my husband has the same name his dad, but he's always used a nickname derived from his first name and his dad always went by the middle name.

Sheila - wow, that's pretty quick. I don't think we have any chances to get ours for months to come.

Sari, I don't know what the frequency is on the video sales. I had uploaded a few just because I had time at the beginning of last year then forgot about them and didn't finish. In Nov I had a nature video sell for almost $14. Not huge, but not pennies. So I started uploading more but so far, no more video sales. I get downloads on the images almost daily usually multiple/day but most are only 25¢ or 30¢ a few are for multiple. dollars here and there. I've been making the payout there about once every month and a half or so. So not nearly as good as here or AS but much better than BS. I only have just over 9400 files online there so far. Most of them photos, maybe 100 video clips so far. I haven't been keeping track.

As for the vaccine, I think the RN at the end of my name pushes me up the list a bit. I'm not technically a front line worker since I don't work in the ER or ICU, but I do work with covid positive patients. i'm just glad I'll be getting it early enough that I won't have to worry about flying to AZ in June. I don't want to have to drive that distance and I don't want to risk exposing my dtr and the newborn so I probably would not have scheduled to go if I didn't get it by then. Her MIL lives nearby but I want to be there to help out too and visit with the kids of course. Her MIL works full time (she's also 10 years younger than I am).

And here's a thread about the FTP being discontinued. Now everything will have to be uploaded via their web based uploaders apparently.

No the FTP is being discontinued but you can use FTPS ... which is secure FTP ... or the upgraded web interface. I will have to work out what the new thing is  ...

4 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Yeah my husband has the same name his dad, but he's always used a nickname derived from his first name and his dad always went by the middle name.

lol reverse to my hubby  ... he had the same name as his Dad but went by the nickname of his middle name. His Dad always went by a nickname of his first name.

Wendy, yeah, I had to read it again. I'm guessing i'll have to reconfigure cyberduck in some way but the text is so small I'll figure it out later when I have to. If drag and drop works, I can just do that since I rarely upload more than  a few files at a time anyway. My grand dad went by a shortened version of his first name where as my dad always used the full name. I guess that's how they figured out who they were talking about, but also, his parents were divorced so he rarely saw his dad so I guess that helped there not to be a lot of confusion when he was growing up.

My video files finally found their way to my port a little while ago too. About time. The first batch was over the 72 hr mark. I'm guessing the changes to the FTP protocols is what clogged up the system. Went out with the photo club for what was supposed to be a nature shoot this afternoon but the location was not the greatest IMO and it was super windy and hazy so visibility was less than ideal too. Not many photos and freaking cold. So glad I had a beanie and scarf in my trunk and gloves in my camera bag.

Sheila, FTP and FTPS are protocols, and if you've always been using the same settings and never changed them, it will not work after the 15th. SS only started using FTPS last July, and it needs different settings than the old FTP. It's a small change, but for it to work, you need to do it.

Here are the instructions, Cyberduck is half way down the page -

https://support.submit.shutterstock.com/s/article/How-do-I-upload-content-via-FTPS?language=en_US

I welcome the web upload; it's just slightly more convenient to not have to open up another application to do the transfer,  as I have the browser open anyway.

The advantage of doing it with the FTP is that I can do other things online while it's uploading. When I upload on the web uploader like, at adobe, I have to wait for it to upload before I can go to any other page or it stops uploading. I'll have to look at the settings. Thanks. The print is so small I have to copy and paste it into a document and increase the font size to read it.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

When I upload on the web uploader like, at adobe, I have to wait for it to upload before I can go to any other page or it stops uploading.

Sheila if you just switch tabs on your browser ( I'm sure Macs have that?) it doesn't effect the web upload. Of course if you go to another page in that tab, then it will stop the upload. I browse and upload all the time, as long as the web upload tab is there, it won't affect it.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

The print is so small I have to copy and paste it into a document and increase the font size to read it.

You should be able to just upsize/ zoom in straight in your browser; in Windows it's just control button and scroll up or down with the scroll wheel to make it bigger or smaller.  Looks like Macs have similar -

How to increase the font size on a Mac by zooming in on your screen

Simply press the "Command" and "+" buttons at the same time to increase the size of everything in those windows by 10% at a time.

After you're done, you can reverse this zoom feature by pressing "Command" and "-" at the same time until the zoom pop-up reads "100%."

I didn't know that zoom feature was there. I use that in photoshop to zoom in and out, but didn't think it would work on other programs too. That'll definitely be helpful! My reading glasses seem to be off on their prescription strength the last 6 months or so. Just have been putting off going to the optomotrist again.

We have a baby gate set up in front of my dtr's room to give our older cat a "safe place" to hang out, but she's getting to where she can barely jump at all. She mostly grabs hold and pulls herself up rather than actually jumping. So I just ordered a new baby gate with a kitty hole opening in the middle of the gate so she can squeeze in and out but the dog will barely be able to stick his head through. I'm concerned about her outdoor activities climbing on the roof too. If she can't jump, she's going to end up falling off at some point trying to get up there. The vet gave me some meds for her for inflammation (for arthritis, etc) but since we can't actually get the meds IN her, it doesn't do a whole lot of good. She can be quite cranky and once she's cranky, she stays that way for awhile. I had to toss a towel over her to move her the other day because she was fighting with the dog. Last time I tried to pick her up after that I got sliced pretty good. I guess she considers it my fault the dog is here.

Sari, I can't elevate the gate because it has a solid bar across the bottom that has to be on the floor to stabilize it and the door opens and closes while it's still attached. That's why I ordered this one, that has a little door in the door so we can just leave that one open for the cat to go in and out of. The dog won't fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JJDI0G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've never actually seen a baby gate IRL, but my understanding is that most of them are just attached to the vertical parts of the opening with tension, so it really doesn't matter how high off the floor they are. I know a lot of people use them for pets as I described, just raising them off the floor so the (typically) dog can't get through while the cat(s) can go underneath.

But I'm sure they also come in so many different configurations that all won't work the same :)

The most popular baby gates just clamp in place and you unclamp to remove to walk through or step over them. Those would work well for being up letting cats go under, but that would make it harder to step over (unless you're really tall with long legs). We have the ones with a gate that swings open but since I don't have them screwed into the walls (just pressure clamps) if they get pushed too hard, they pop right off the door. The one we have the most issues with is the one on the front door that is there to keep the dog from taking off down the street when anyone comes in or out the front door (mainly because it has to be on the outside of the door). the ones inside aren't such a big deal because they push up against the door jam when you're opening and closing them. But still need to be stable. having them against the floor provides that additonal stability. And the new gate arrived super fast. Got here this morning. It was supposed to show up some time this weekend.

Just tried the drag and drop upload for an HD video clip and it works. Much faster than via FTP has been too, at least for the HD clips. Trying out the same process with a 4K clip now. Still doesn't read the metadata attached to it though so I still have to manually input titles and keywords.

Sheila take a few minutes to work out the FTPS ... it will save you a lot of angst I think.

As for the dog door, I have to admit that I would prefer screen doors rather than a baby gate to keep him in. Cant help on the inside one though, hope the new gate works for you.

I think we have two different bobcats, like I suspected some time back when the "small looking one" showed up near one of the cameras in daytime. Last night I caught one on two cameras, and if I overlay the screencap with another from four days ago (same camera), the other bobkitty is WAY smaller, and has different markings on the legs.

The overlay of two screencaps:

bobcatssize.thumb.jpg.d848dd154e64cad93eb7a1284e9d4b7b.jpg

I would be awesome to get more videos of them during daytime, but it almost never happens, sadly.

25 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

I think we have two different bobcats, like I suspected some time back when the "small looking one" showed up near one of the cameras in daytime. Last night I caught one on two cameras, and if I overlay the screencap with another from four days ago (same camera), the other bobkitty is WAY smaller, and has different markings on the legs.

The overlay of two screencaps:

bobcatssize.thumb.jpg.d848dd154e64cad93eb7a1284e9d4b7b.jpg

I would be awesome to get more videos of them during daytime, but it almost never happens, sadly.

Wow.. I read that they (Lynx rufus) are indeed very shy. A beautiful beast!1
The Eurasian lynx (Lynx lynx) lives along the border of the Netherlands. But not with us. You never know ... the wolf is back in the Netherlands, but now the sheep farmers are grumbling. 🙂 

Aren't you afraid they'll hunt your pets?