The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

My son has thought about starting a YouTube channel.

There's many ways to do that; a lot of people just like to be in front of the camera and talk about whatever is their thing -- you won't *ever* catch me doing that, though, haha :P:D

Streaming live and talking about something? HELL NO. I don't have anything to say! :P

My son used to do a little bit of streaming on Twitch back when he was actively playing his fave games, and he also did some casting for others' matches - he's got the perfect voice for it (I'm not even biased about it that much :P ). I've told him to try to get into voice acting or something he could use his voice for, but he's too busy with his life for that.

Sheila LOL on the missing flowers  :D

Sounds just like something that would happen to me... go do something only to discover it's impossible.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

Monetizing a  YouTube channel in a nutshell:

1. You need to have 1,000 subscribers on your YouTube channel
  2. Your videos have generated 4,000 Watch Time hours over the last 12 months
  3. You comply with all YouTube's policies and guidelines
  4. You have an AdSense account set up

https://vidiq.com/blog/post/how-to-monetize-youtube-channel-beginners-guide/

Definitely need videos that get plenty of views and watch time or videos that go viral with views while still getting subscribers. Some channels have some rather peculiar though simple ways of achieving this (ie: relaxing music channels comes to mind and others where you don't have to be seen or heard on camera) but otherwise it is a long term project with probably little reward once monetization is achieved. Monetized YouTube channels who report on microstock  I'm aware of are Andrew Balcombe, Jason Yoder and Oliver King. 

17 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:
  • You need to have 1,000 subscribers on your YouTube channel
  • Your videos have generated 4,000 Watch Time hours over the last 12 months

Yeah there ain't no way I'll ever reach any of that, haha :D

I'm just doing mine to share some cute / interesting stuff, whether it's pets, wildlife or just nature.

I also can't come up with any creative things of any interest, so I'm not going to stress myself over it, just not worth it :P

In the meantime, youtube is still pushing that video, yesterday's one hour record was 350ish, and early this morning it got broken by a 670ish.  The views for the whole day yesterday was about 4800 and today will be higher than that. It's interesting to watch, but still, won't make me a dime :P

Wendy - indeed!

Here's the video in question - as you can see, it's very short and sweet :P  --  and was uploaded almost 4 years ago.

19 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Monetizing a  YouTube channel in a nutshell:

1. You need to have 1,000 subscribers on your YouTube channel
  2. Your videos have generated 4,000 Watch Time hours over the last 12 months
  3. You comply with all YouTube's policies and guidelines
  4. You have an AdSense account set up

https://vidiq.com/blog/post/how-to-monetize-youtube-channel-beginners-guide/

Definitely need videos that get plenty of views and watch time or videos that go viral with views while still getting subscribers. Some channels have some rather peculiar though simple ways of achieving this (ie: relaxing music channels comes to mind and others where you don't have to be seen or heard on camera) but otherwise it is a long term project with probably little reward once monetization is achieved. Monetized YouTube channels who report on microstock  I'm aware of are Andrew Balcombe, Jason Yoder and Oliver King. 

And that's sure a lot of work, no promise that you can attract the number of followers, subscribers, or come up with something interesting enough that people will come back, over and over. There are a few I end up viewing, even though I don't spend much time watching. I admire the hard work and the creative energy that the good ones produce.

There are a bunch, which I can't get past the first minutes, because I just lose it, laughing or saying, that's a bunch of BS, the ones about how to make money in Microstock. LOL One lady was describing Adobe and the free CC account and said "but I don't know, I didn't check the details". Really? She's the how to make money on Microstock, site and didn't have time to get the details for all her loyal viewers.

But I shouldn't complain, I don't have a youtube channel that I'm trying to monetize, it's hard work and takes some real smarts.

Happy Sales everyone.

19 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari I am with you on that .. no way would I want to be in front of the camera, I dont like the way I look or the way I sound

Yes, that is important, plus entertaining and informative. But especially something that someone enjoys and understands.

So I could do one on napping or single malt scotch or fire watching? 😉

Thanks Sari.  No, it's almost the las day of Feb. I missed the last day by a minute since I was born at 11:59PM. We. had ordered Chinese food and there's always so much when we do that that it really gives us dinner for two days anyway. Had the wonton soup yesterday and the almond chicken over rice today. The wontons are ginormous and a lot of them so that's quite filling on it's own.

15 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Belated Happy Birthday Sheila! For some reason I was thinking it's in early March.

Pete -  yeah, I don't know a single youtube channel that would have me going back regularly.

I think it's a matter of time and interest. Of all things I end up watching the vintage and guitar Troglodyte when I go down the rabbit hole. Sometimes music theory or history. Then I look and a hour or two later I see that I'm just wasting time.

Back to Sheila and anyone else, the replies that list how to make a channel are worthwhile. I'd say the idea of find something you like and post a new video at least once a week, make it interesting for others, educational and light. There's a great start to at least having a good time, while maybe getting into the pay for having a good time!

You can usually tell someone new, when they have a 30 minute video on how to take off a bottle cap, as they are reaching for hours. I mean some of them are torture and long, where the video could be 10 minutes, but they want to drag it out for the most minutes. That and people who have the ads stacking up every 4 minutes, so they get more income.

I resent manipulation and contrived love videos which are just created to make them longer and have more ads.

Do what you love, you can't go wrong. I'm doing that with my Microstock. I really don't have the best earning images, but I have the most good times, shooting what I do.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

I think it's a matter of time and interest.

Of course.

Normally if I spend any significant time on youtube it's because I'm trying to figure out something through a tutorial, and that usually ends up where I have to watch through several to find the exact thing I need.

Outside of that, I might look for say, a bobcat video, and watch a few of them in a row. It's extremely rare for me to go down the rabbit hole, though. On youtube, anyway -- LOL!!!

Sheila - "last day" of February is not like last day of any other month, anyway :D

People are restless wanting to get back to work and from what my husband tells me, cat videos are the most popular thing on the internet. LOL. Congrats on all the views. Too bad that doesn't turn into money for you.

Did my Costco run today, unloaded everything then took the dog to the dog park. He still gets overwhelmed, but he's playing with the other dogs more at least. I really need to get him his own puppy some day soon. Then hit starbucks on the way home so my dter (who came with me could have a treat) and hit the garden supply store for more supplies to work on the yard. FIgured I'd still have a bag of soil for the raised planters (which need a bit more) but ended up using all of what I had and what I bought to fill in the area on the side of the house where I planted some more flowers for the butteflies. It's such a narrow strip of area that I didn't figure it'd need that much, but apparently the section under the apple tree was much lower than I thought it was and ended up using an entire bag just around that tree. At least the roots should be happy. Now I'm tired.

Not doing much here, there is a cyclone off the coast that is making the weather a bit yucky!

Not sure what it is going to do yet .. they dont think it will come on land but like any weather system it will do what it wants. Just to make life interesting, the weather radar has decided to break down yet again. It has not worked well since they upgraded it.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:45 AM, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila - "last day" of February is not like last day of any other month, anyway :D

Right, because every four years or so, it's the 29th instead of the 28th?

While my birthday and hour is always, 3 1/2 hours before April Fools Day. 🤪

My Dad was born on the 28th but not a leap year

Pete I was always grateful that my parents were not really religious as I was born on All Saints Day ... can you imagine my name if they followed the practice of naming you after the saint whose day you were born on ... eek!

My dad tricked my mom. My dad was a Jr, named after his dad. My mom said she'd never name any of her kids after one of them. My dad picked my name and later mom discovered it was Gaelic for her name. She was quite angry with him for that from what i was told. Apparently not angry enough to change my name.

The videos are taking foreverandaday to propagate. The images are transferring into my port instantly but the video, it's already been a few days and they're still not there on the earliest ones reviewed. Kind of frustrating. Won't hit 72 hours though til late tomorrow. Mostly just nature video so no great pressing issue (not like they're time sensitive) but still. One would like to see things make it to their final destination in a timely manner. 

Names are interesting things ... I was determined not to name any of my kids after anyone in the family.  My present hubby was named after his father but went by his middle name.

I have no idea how my parents came to call me Wendy, all I know is there are a lot in my age group and hardly any these days.

lol on your Dad tricking your Mum.

I didn't know they had a new web uploader. I'm using the antiquated cyberduck FTP to upload all video everywhere. I figure it isn't broken and I know how to use it so that's what I use. I guess I'll look for the web uploader and see if that's any different. The only web based uploader i use for video is on DP. I'm way behind on getting caught up with video uploads there though. I think all I've gotten done so far is about half of last years. Nothing from before. I just picked a point in time and started moving forward and figured if and when I ever catch up there, I can start working backwards since they take editorial content too.