Jump to content

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!


Recommended Posts

Jeff - yeah, the armadillos are stinking cute :D  I was lucky to catch it a couple of times during the day!

I did leave out one clip where a coyote was dragging a foot trap with chains on it. A few days later it showed up again and had apparently chewed the trap off..... makes me sick to see that, and I didn't want to share the sadness of it. Sometimes you see awesome things, sometimes the opposite :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Sari ONeal

    7953

  • Barry Blackburn

    7685

  • KellyNelson

    6102

  • Wendy Townrow

    5889

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

I know, Jeff. I don't know who's trapping them around here, but apparently the coyote was able to pull the trap with the chains off of whatever it was attached to.

I might upload the two videos later by themselves, not sure yet.

The coyote was with another one - a male - in both videos (actually , in the first one the other coyote just passed by the camera about a minute before the trapped one), so maybe the other one helps it find food. They're pretty smart.

With a trap, you don't EVER know what's going to walk into it, so in my opinion traps shouldn't even be allowed where "other" animals could potentially get in them. It's just brutal and evil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Sheila, nettle stings don't usually last for any length of time, and as was pointed out by Charles, there are also Dock plants growing nearby and they have large leave, which when rubbed onto the nettle sting usually alleviate the irritation.

The one thing you do need to watch for in CA is Poison Oak, that is really nasty crap, I know since I ran into it several times, even the rrots of a plany killed with roundup can still contain the urusoil that causes the inflammation, again I found out the hard way.

BTW Poison Oak, (out West) and Poison IVY (Back East), and Sumak (Mid West) are all related, contain the same irritant.

I'm thinking the reason the symptoms lasted so long might be because I got some small thorns or something from the plant in my finger. I could feel them like the fine needles of a cactus when one touches the fuzzy cactus. It felt like at least one larger one went in, but I could never find anything with the tweezers. Even tried digging it out with a needle when I got home. But I'll know for future reference to use tweezers or something to move plants if I plan on adjusting nature for my photos in the future.

 

Sari, great video! Love the variety of animals. I hope you guys stay warm during your cold snap. Definitely sounds uncomforatble.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else having to reset their password frequently for the contributor portal? This is the second time I've had to do that in less than a month for what they deem is "unusual activity". Probably because I check from my phone and my desktop during the day to see what the stats are. I'm getting freaking annoyed at the process and having to come up with and keep track of yet another password.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Is anyone else having to reset their password frequently for the contributor portal? This is the second time I've had to do that in less than a month for what they deem is "unusual activity". Probably because I check from my phone and my desktop during the day to see what the stats are. I'm getting freaking annoyed at the process and having to come up with and keep track of yet another password.

I have not had that, but Firefox has blocked both Social media trackers and Fingerprinters on the Contributor pages recently. Stuff like that should be stopped at the web site not caught by browsers later!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2021 at 5:54 PM, Steven Tritton said:

Don't worry Patrick, you're definitely not missing out on anything. It's getting bad out there. I'm finding it's worse this year than at any time last year, and that's for SS and the other sites as well. Hoping things pick up.  

Sounds like grim times indeed. We need a light at the end of the tunnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive been really keen to get back into kite flying and eventually participate in kite aerial photography. But conditions around here have been unsuitable for so long. It's either really calm or way too windy. My 9 foot Levitation Delta kite is quite versatile and has a wide wind range but even so, I don't think it would cope on most of these days.

However today, conditions turned out to be perfect. It was great seeing the Delta up in the sky. It has a really attractive colour scheme and is also very stable in the air. Quite a large kite too. It really grabs your attention. I flew it for a few hours. I had only flown it once before years ago and unfortunately, one of the spars got damaged on that first time outing. The new replacement spar worked well today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

Ive been really keen to get back into kite flying and eventually participate in kite aerial photography. But conditions around here have been unsuitable for so long. It's either really calm or way too windy. My 9 foot Levitation Delta kite is quite versatile and has a wide wind range but even so, I don't think it would cope on most of these days.

However today, conditions turned out to be perfect. It was great seeing the Delta up in the sky. It has a really attractive colour scheme and is also very stable in the air. Quite a large kite too. It really grabs your attention. I flew it for a few hours. I had only flown it once before years ago and unfortunately, one of the spars got damaged on that first time outing. The new replacement spar worked well today. 

Do you ever fly a camera? That could be interesting?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HodagMedia said:

Do you ever fly a camera? That could be interesting?

 

Yea that's the next step! At the moment, I'm practising flying this kite without a camera. When I feel more confident, I'll add a cheap second hand camera with a small sensor. Then later down the track when I feel more brave, I'll attach a more expensive camera with a larger sensor to the kite line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL Jeff. The literal interpretations can be comical :D 

 

Rudy, I thought it was funny I sold images of bottles of California made wines to someone in France today. yours is funnier.

 

Took Sebastian to the dog park today. Not sure why I didn't do it earlier. I inadvertently took him into the big dog area first (and he was overwhelmed and actually was growling and snapping at the other dogs) but one of the people told us there was a little dog area on the other side (didn't really notice it was segregated originally) and after a bit of transition time in there, he did really well. There was a lady with a female dog that looked almost like it could be Sebastians sister. Although she's a few months older than we figure Sebastian is so more likely close cousins, but they really did well playing together and chasing each other around the yard He ran around for almost an hour so hopefully he'll actually be tired and not so demanding of attention for a few hours today. I'm going to try and schedule time to take him at least twice/week from now on so he can get some serious exercise in. Now that he knows the routine, I think he'll do even better next time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Yea that's the next step! At the moment, I'm practising flying this kite without a camera. When I feel more confident, I'll add a cheap second hand camera with a small sensor. Then later down the track when I feel more brave, I'll attach a more expensive camera with a larger sensor to the kite line.

Or you could fly a bag of sand that weighs as much as a camera. I'd say rock, but that could be dangerous. 🤪

If you haven't already figured this out, just send up any camera with a timer remote set for 15 seconds, and let it do it's thing. I've done that with other situations. Then delete all the junk. Or if you have a GoPro, really nice. They will take a photo a second for an hour.

You're right though it doesn't have to be anything big or special. This is Microstock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Wendy, if you are Sari, who is Sari today 🙂

lol

6 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

I just sold a rice cooker to somebody in Singapore

it feels like I sold ice to an Eskimo (not that I ever have)

hmmm nteresting point, and I am sure you have tried :P

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

LOL Jeff. The literal interpretations can be comical :D 

 

Rudy, I thought it was funny I sold images of bottles of California made wines to someone in France today. yours is funnier.

 

Took Sebastian to the dog park today. Not sure why I didn't do it earlier. I inadvertently took him into the big dog area first (and he was overwhelmed and actually was growling and snapping at the other dogs) but one of the people told us there was a little dog area on the other side (didn't really notice it was segregated originally) and after a bit of transition time in there, he did really well. There was a lady with a female dog that looked almost like it could be Sebastians sister. Although she's a few months older than we figure Sebastian is so more likely close cousins, but they really did well playing together and chasing each other around the yard He ran around for almost an hour so hopefully he'll actually be tired and not so demanding of attention for a few hours today. I'm going to try and schedule time to take him at least twice/week from now on so he can get some serious exercise in. Now that he knows the routine, I think he'll do even better next time.

Cool on the dog park  ...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Or you could fly a bag of sand that weighs as much as a camera.

Before attaching a camera to the kite line, some KAPers recommend practising with a water bottle on the line to get used to dealing with a payload.

4 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

just send up any camera with a timer remote set for 15 seconds

Most people use an interval timer for kite aerial photography. They set their camera to shoot a frame once every 5 seconds or once every 8 seconds etc. Then they select the best photos from several hundreds. Yep - delete the rest. 

Some KAPers take it a step further and mount an FPV camera with a similar field of view as the lens on the main camera and transmit a live feed to a monitor screen down below. And they can control pan and tilt remotely with an electronically controlled camera rig. When they have the composition they want, they fire the shutter remotely. 

4 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

You're right though it doesn't have to be anything big or special. This is Microstock.

Though kite aerial photography is not necessarily limited to microstock. If I capture some images that I'm particularly happy with, I could submit them to exhibitions or photo competitions or try and sell them at a market that I have a stall set up for occasionally. There's a guy who uses a full frame mirrorless camera with his kites to take aerial photos and he sells the images as large prints. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Our pups would probably go berserk if they didn't have all the acreage here to run around in. They play fight each other all the time outside, and that takes a lot of room. They also love fetching their balls and frisbees. In addition to that, they get the "trailcam check" -walk every morning. Usually I always do it after I've fed all the animals outside, but this week has been cold and I've gone in the house for a little while before venturing back out. When I walk in, the dogs just stand and stare at me like they were thinking "wait, what, you're not supposed to go in, it's WALK time!"

We had freezing drizzle almost all day yesterday. Luckily it was very light, so the ice accumulation is not great. However, it does make for a icky frigid weather. Right now the temperature is 17F,  and the "high" today should be in the 24F range AND windy on top of that. The rain / sleet/ snow will start again in the early evening.

The scary part is - this will go on AT LEAST for a week, for the full duration of our forecast, and as I can't see it past that, it could be longer.... our highs will be in the low teens over the weekend. Holy crap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interval timer that's the words I was looking for. I have remote shutter releases with the interval timer built in.

No, these shots are only for Microstock, get with the program! 😉 Yes, I wasn't limiting, I was suggesting one possible use.

What I've found is, the cheaper the camera, the less likely that you will have an option for an external timer. TV from the sky, tilt and pan... that starts to sound pretty complicated.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

 

What I've found is, the cheaper the camera, the less likely that you will have an option for an external timer. TV from the sky, tilt and pan... that starts to sound pretty complicated.

 

A number of years ago, Pentax introduced a series of point and shoot cameras with the name Optio and these had interval timers. I picked up one of these really cheap second hand with the intention of attaching it to a kite line in the air. Though I haven't tested it yet. I also got a second hand GoPro for a good price with it's own programmable interval timer. And I believe with Canon point and shoots, there's a kind of program called CHDK which can give the cameras additional features including an interval timer.

Oh yea controlling pan and tilt remotely and viewing through a video monitor is pretty ambitious. But that's something to consider later down the track after a considerable amount of time has been spent doing kite aerial photography with simple, cheap setups. Some people start with a cheap point and shoot camera on the kite line and stick with that for a few months or a year and then get more confident and replace that with a more expensive camera with a larger sensor (sometimes interchangeable lenses etc.) Then after that, they may get even more ambitious and add remote control pan + tilt etc. 

So yea I'll start simple and cheap and stick with that for a while. I do have an older M4/3 camera (a Panasonic G2) which I could use later down the track after lots of kite flying sessions / practise. 

Some time ago, I made a picavet which is a kind of suspension system which helps keep the camera level on the kite line. It was invented by a French person Pierre Picavet.

http://www.davidhunt.me/basics/BASICS_picavet.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wendy on yea and it's great fun too. The only downer was that due to the wind direction, I was facing the sun the whole time when I was flying the kite (for a few hours.) I had sunglasses and a hat on but got sunburnt. The following morning also looked like it would be ideal for kite flying but I decided to give it a miss and let my skin recover. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Sari, that's way to cold for me. Brrr. Stay warm. We have a bipolar system rolling in. Sunny one day, cloudy and rainy the next followed by sunny, then cloudy and rainy. All week it goes back and forth each day. We'll see what actually pans out.

 

Photo club meeting via zoom tonight. I quit going to meetings for a year because I didn't feel like my photos really fit in, but one of my friends there kept bugging me to rejoin, so I finally relented. I much prefer the meetings via zoom. Better temperature control, more comfortable seat and i can mute my mic and turn off the video when I want to walk around. I hope they don't go back to in person meeting nights now. LOL. The field trips were always good though. Helped me find locations I didn't know were there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I flew my Levitation Delta a few days ago, I may as well mention something else that was briefly sharing the same air space. When I was watching my kite in the sky, I saw something small and white pass behind it. It was moving diagonally across the sky. At first, I thought it was a bird checking out my kite. However, it was moving in a perfectly straight line. I notice that when birds fly, they sometimes make a bit of a curved flight path or sometimes go up and down a bit. I guess it may have been a drone perhaps though then again, why would someone send up a drone this high on a windy day? I did have a lot of line out so my kite was fairly high when this white object passed behind it.

Another odd thing is that it seemed to fade from view as it went across the sky. Quite a neat vanishing act. If I recall correctly, it was travelling downward to the right on a diagonal line. I was looking into the sun with sunglasses so it was hard to identify what this thing was. Though it sort of looked like it had a round shape.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...