The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I worked part way through Drawing on the right side of the brain years ago, it has some really good exercises in it.

Sheila stamping does not help, your freehand drawing is the best way to do it. I have actually seen people outside drawing with their finger and tablets .... the more you practice the better you get.

I actually cracked out the pencil and paper for drawing the other day, I felt I needed to get back to basics!

Scan_20210123.jpg.e4d731f4439e4a0cf19a622281dd50bd.jpg

Well done Linda!

The thing with drawing, the more you do the better you get  ... you also develop your own style. I know I draw very differently to my sister!

Anyway just to challenge you:

https://www.boredpanda.com/spaceship-design-everyday-objects-digital-art-eric-geusz/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

• Replies 46.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I remember that book drawing on the right side of the brain. I don't recall what all is in it as it's been probably more than 20 years since I read it. My dad was a really talented artist. Painted and drew pretty much daily (except when he was serving in the military) from the time he was a pre-teen. It's definitely a skill one has to hone. But a lot of it is reteaching yourself how to see things. the basic shapes in life. Start with the basic shape then build up around it.

Linda, I'm mainly doing cartoon type work right now. I could get back into more realistic drawing if I was using an actual pencil and paper, but using the ipad is a larger learning curve. I'm using the free version of adobe fresco and now that I've figure out a few things, it's going a bit easier. Kind of a PITA that it doesn't have basic shapes that you can just stamp (like circles and squares) so it's all free hand. I don't think the paid version has those either so i'm not willing to pay almost $10 a month for the upgraded version when it doesn't even seem to offer more than the free version. I've submitted a few finished images to see if they're high enough quality to be accepted and they were accepted here, at adobe and on DT. I didn't get down the rest of my list to upload them yet. The image of Ariel I posted awhile back was my first drawing with fresco. I have an apple pencil too of course.

Oh wow! I just looked and love what you have done. You've obviously got a talent for it. The kittens are so cute and Ariel is a dream! :D
I started playing with digital drawing last year, but my tablet is crappy and my phone too small. I could see I'd enjoy it with better equipment. I'm an android user so Fresco is a no go for me. Hope that changes soon.

7 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Oh wow! I just looked and love what you have done. You've obviously got a talent for it. The kittens are so cute and Ariel is a dream! :D
I started playing with digital drawing last year, but my tablet is crappy and my phone too small. I could see I'd enjoy it with better equipment. I'm an android user so Fresco is a no go for me. Hope that changes soon.

Me Too, I'm getting much better.

image.png.f8f80c8bc7c64b4fac8e0949f6ad86da.png

LOL Pete. Great beginning! We all have to start somewhere with our skills :) 

Thanks Linda. I like how Ariel turned out, but the other kittens I wasn't too happy with. My second generation renditions are a bit better IMO. I've got five of them designed so far and should be able to do the few tweaks to get a few more tabby kittens then I'll do some scenes with them too. Probably should draw up some wearing a face mask. I'm really slow. The corona virus molicule took me most of the day yesterday. Most of that was just copying layers and repositioning then merging each ring into a single layer once I got them all in so that i could keep track of the individual layers more easily. I do think the ipad is worth it for the drawing software, but we all have our budgets we have to work within as well so I understand that too. I've only been messing with the drawing again for maybe a week, so definitely a long way to go yet. 

I made a trek out into the great outdoors and drove to the city to cover the prolife march (they apparently cancelled the rally but the march was still on) and found a hundred or so people with signs to free Navalny too. Wasn't sure if the turn out was going to be decent since the Navalny group significantly outnumbered the visible number of people there for the prolife march when I was at Civic Center (I head out to set up my gear to film while I shoot so I left the staging area fairly early) but there ended up being well over 500 people participating in the march. Probably over 1000, but hard to say. It was 9 solid minutes recording while they were marching/walking. My daughter tagged along with me since I had decided to drive vs using BART and we both commented at the same time our shock at how many people were NOT wearing face coverings. I guess it's a good thing I decided we'd double mask it with a cloth mask over an N95. I only have a few of those left (stocked up after the last big wildfire events in 2019) but this was a good time to use them for sure. I just don't get some people and their ignorance. 

Thanks guys

lol Pete! Good one :D

Sheila start sourcing more masks ... this stuff is not going anywhere soon and even with a vaccine I think we are still going to see problems. You are great the way you get to the rally's and things.  I tend to run in the other direction, too many people in too close an area ....

Wendy, I have changed how I do protests/rallies/etc in the past year. I'd normally take BART, but I don't really want to deal with that any more than necessary right now. So if I know I can get parking, I'd rather drive and be in my own contained micro environment. I tend to show up at least an hour early just to be sure I give myself time to get lost so having my car to sit in before hand is definitely a plus. It was cold today too. The first few images of the day you could see all the condensation rising from the street drains since the water running through the sewers is warmer than the outside. Made for some interesting backdrops.

18 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Very nice Wendy!

Pete keep working at it 🙂

Much better, I have more than just sticks and straight lines. That's a "Blockhead" by the way, it's a self portrait of a limited artist. I don't mind, really, I have other skills and talent (which is still minimal in some instances) I've never been interested in drawing, and the truth is, if someone is interested and takes the time to learn and do something, they will learn and become better.

Just like musical instruments, it just takes practice and time. Then there are steps, one at a time and inner breakthroughs, manual training and perceptual. Everything comes together as we develop our own style and expression. Same for photography of course...

Go Packers!

16 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sheila, is the girl child driving yet? That would be an option, get her to drop you, disappear and then come back for you when you call. I would rather have my escape pod nearby, rather than wait for public transport. Especially if things are busy.

No, DMV is a nightmare with the covid restrictions so we didn't get them done this year. Both kids have to take the written test before they can start even practicing behind the wheel so it's been put off for all of last year. Hopefully they'll get it done this year. I need to find a driving school at some point too so they can have a few weeks of 1:1 behind the wheel training that's not me. I stress out way too easily and have been called a control freak more than once. My husband doesn't even drive when I'm in the car 98% of the time unless I specifically ask him too (mainly when we're going someplace that he knows how to get to and I don't. Or on long car rides when I need to sleep for a bit).

Pete when it comes to music, no amount of practice can make you a "musician". I know ... anyone can draw. Like music there are different levels of achievement.
As with anything practice is the key!

Sheila I can understand that being a pain. The kids really suffered life disruptions in a unique way this last 12 or so months. I made sure my boy had driving school lessons to get him started, I just could not try and teach him in the city, the traffic makes me have a melt down even when I am driving. I then handed it over to his step father. I did teach my eldest, but we were in the country. I told him he had to learn to drive because I was sick of driving him everywhere lol.

Sari wet damp drizzling, some people would call that perfect :D Good for putting the horses in the barn. I love thunderstorms :)

Sari, we are getting rain all week. We haven't had any significant rain fall in months and they're expecting quite a bit of water with this one so they're watching the burn scar areas fairly closely for ill effects there.

Wendy, yeah, the kids ride their bikes or walk anywhere they want to go here. Everything is fairly close. Or they can take the bus. Extensive public transit available if needed. In Southern California, there were more remote areas we could go to to teach the older two to drive. My husband did all that. I did a few times and the girls were more nervous of my reactions than of driving itself so I decided it was in everyones best interest if I wasn't the one going with them the first few months they drove. Once they had their interum license then I was fine with them driving for the most part.

These are my newest characters. I uploaded three different card designs so far today and put this one (without the text) on FAA. Still trying to decide if I want to upload them to stock too.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/happy-birthday-kittens-sheila-fitzgerald.html

Wendy, it's great getting back to basics isn't it :D Love what you have done, you obviously haven't lost the knack!
Oh, and the imagination and skill of that guy doing space ships. How brill are they! Some people are just too clever LOL.

Pete, I like your style 😁

Sheila I love your kittens, they are just so cute. But I know what it's like when we have something in mind and it doesn't turn out how we wanted. You wont be happy until you are producing what you are aiming for. I don't think I'm ever happy with what I do. The masks idea sounds like a good one 👍
I'm not a fan of Apple in general, had an annoying experience with them years ago and so I've been totally put off them since, for better or worse!

Sari, but you are creative! You express it through your stunning photography!
We've got snow, had about 8 inches yesterday, so looking pretty here. We usually have the ugly grey drizzle lol.

Linda you better get out there and shoot that snow as much as you can - I don't know what kind of restrictions there are for you.

We had three waves of storms come through last night. First one was small, just enough to scare the cats that don't like thunder. Sissy has a hiding spot in the little cabinet under the TV-stand, which is where she goes if it's thundering. I think the closed up "cave" makes her feel safer, and the noise from the TV covers some of the thunder.

The second round was rougher and I actually unplugged my PC. Then I went out to set my GoPro to record it, and I was late for it as usual. Just when I was attaching and setting it to the right direction, the biggest crack and boom filled the air; it must have hit somewhere really close, but apparently on the opposite side of the house as I didn't see anything but a general flash.

Pipsqueak, who typically doesn't like to be held at all, came to sit next to me and I scooped her in my lap. Usually she'd jump right off, but she stayed for and entire 20 minutes - I guess she didn't like the thunder, either! I don't think she's ever been in anyone's lap for that long.

The third round came at about 3 AM, with heavy rain. The thunder rattled the house for a good bit, it was so loud there was no going to sleep. Poor little Sissy's hidey hole was no good because of course the TV wasn't on, so no noise to cover up the thunder.

Now it's all foggy, everything is covered in a gray sheet.

We rarely get significant thunder storms here anymore. I love watching the lightning shooting through the sky. Probably not as fun when it might hit ground close by though.

Gave the dog a shower today. He wasn't impressed, but at least he smells better. And he's all floofy for a change. Too bad he sucks as a model. I. need to work on him more to get him to sit when I crouch down. 

Linda you are right it is great to get back to basics. I am not a fan of Apple either.

Sari that sounds like wild weather. We had thunderstorms here a week or two back and the thunder and lightening were basically on top of one another. Not weather to be heading our for pics though. Fog can be pretty ... but it tends to make me feel a bit blah!

lol Sheila on your reluctant model! Wow that protest is crazy! Pro-life but wont wear masks ... I think it is more like a rent a crowd, will protest anything and everything!  Morons!

I was surprised at the turn out. That was basically the gist of the crowd passing me for a good solid 8 minutes walking at a decent pace. I was standing on a muni platform about 4 feet above the crowd shooting with a 300mm lens. They have to pass to each side of the platform as they walk by, so still decent distance from the actual people.

Great march shot Sheila!

Linda, I am a fan of Apple, always have been, in fact am on an Apple now, use one for my images, and this older one for email and interfacing with the WWI,  largely because they were smart and kept their OS out of the hands of every Tom, Dick and Harry with malicious intent. There are few people with the capability of creating malware for the Apple OS. I liked the OS so much I bought shares in Apple back when they were $18 a share, I sold half of them at $240 a share, which was a big mistake because they went to $650 a share, then did a 7-1 split, so I then owned 7 times more shares worth $92 a share, and have subsequently gone to $142 a share, I own more than $120,000 of Apple stock, so am quite happy with them. I certainly do not feel bad when I buy a new Apple computer, since it is basically free 😉  Oh and yes I have an ipad and iphone besides the two iMacs, but also have several Windows OS computers of varying age and types.

I guess I'm an apple addict too. My husband has both. He primarily uses PC's for programming but he programs on the mac too (most games launch on the PC though from what I've seen). I have trouble navigating the PC's (have to ask my kids to help me when I need to use one). I have an iPad and iPhone too. It's just what I started with so what I'm used to. My first mac was the purple iMac way back when (i think it was called something else though).

I don't agree with most of the protests I cover. I just like covering them. Good photo ops. Ran into one of the other photojournalists at this one that I haven't seen in months. So I guess we're all tired of being confined inside and looking for photo opportunities where ever we can.