The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Well as a 74 year old growing up 50 years ago, I for one do not believe any source, print, internet or broadcast, simply because they are all talking heads, have opinions and little knowledge!  And we all know what opinions are in common with, and when they are talking or writing it is the same effluence that comes out of the other orifice.

In order to gain some real knowledge, I watch BBC news, Japanese news, German news and French news, which we get on PBS here in Eastern Washington, simply because they are not as biased as the main line media in the US, nor as radical in their point of view as most online sources, they tend to simply report all the facts rather than just those that favor their agenda.

I guess living outside of the US for almost 20 years gives me a different perspective on the US.  This nation of immigrants has achieved a lot, made many great steps in technology, and has made many mistakes.

Personally, I find it incredulous that there are people who do not believe the Holocaust ever happened, there are others that do not believe we put a man on the moon, others that believe the corona virus injection contains an electronic tracer so Microsoft can trace everyone, others that believe the things you guys have mentioned previously. These are people who we have all met, talked to, and without these topics of discussion would believe that they are normal intelligent people. Just as some religious zealots tried to convince everyone the world was flat, the sun rotated around the earth, etc, etc,.

However, I find that I cannot associate with people I do not have any respect for, and I cannot respect people who hold the aforementioned kinds of opinions. Naturally that means my group of people I associate with diminishes over time as I find out what crazy ideas they have, which may takes months or years before one finds out the person holds such opinions.

Glad to see none of you are in that category :-)

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Looks like Ive just joined the .33c club. A $15.14 video sale pushed me over the line. Thank you all for the encouragement. Though I must admit it took me a long time to get there. 

Posted Images

Yeah, there are people on facebook that I've discovered I really didn't know very well. Not going to hang out with some of those people again anytime soon (if ever). I've been living in a bubble obviously. Or I just never noticed how crazy some people are. I'll never be going to anymore of my husband's extended family reunions either. Even worse when you discover it's family that's been afflicted. 

Sari even the newspapers cant be trusted now ... they are as prone to misinformation and half truths as the social media.

Some people seem to get their jollies by wiring something and seeing how far it can go, the modern version of Chinese whispers.

As for the antivirus conspiracy theories ... you only have to look at this pic to realise what short memories people have

Ventilation tubes for victims of polio

sf25027_sq-0f6b5b41a3919281ad4df2dd7ad6a

https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history-dept/2015/04/10/398515228/defeating-the-disease-that-paralyzed-america

I am old enough to have friends who were affected by polio, without vaccines this would still be an epidemic issue.

I really think the antivaxxers (and the 5G protest nutters) should be put on an island all together and then let the virus loose on them ... of course we cant let them back into society then because they might be carriers, that is the way they used to be treated.

The classic social media quote I saw was from an antivaxxer who siggested that people should get a low dose of a disease and develop the immunity .... wth!  The antivaxxer just invented vaccinaton .. d'oh! This just underlines that many of them have no idea how it all works!

You can believe whatever you want, but when the beliefs start interfering with whatever I want to believe then we have a problem. It is like freedom of thought, speech and action only apply to those who believe the way they do ...

10 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari even the newspapers cant be trusted now ... they are as prone to misinformation and half truths as the social media

Oh, absolutely.

In the old days you knew the tabloids were for entertainment ( i.e., not trustworthy), not for news, and actual newspapers had a reputation to keep up, so they didn't spring out with bullshit.

You still have reputable newspapers that hold on to their high standards, but also lots of crappy ones.

16 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari even the newspapers cant be trusted now ... they are as prone to misinformation and half truths as the social media.

Some people seem to get their jollies by wiring something and seeing how far it can go, the modern version of Chinese whispers.

As for the antivirus conspiracy theories ... you only have to look at this pic to realise what short memories people have

Ventilation tubes for victims of polio

sf25027_sq-0f6b5b41a3919281ad4df2dd7ad6a

https://www.npr.org/sections/npr-history-dept/2015/04/10/398515228/defeating-the-disease-that-paralyzed-america

I am old enough to have friends who were affected by polio, without vaccines this would still be an epidemic issue.

I really think the antivaxxers (and the 5G protest nutters) should be put on an island all together and then let the virus loose on them ... of course we cant let them back into society then because they might be carriers, that is the way they used to be treated.

The classic social media quote I saw was from an antivaxxer who siggested that people should get a low dose of a disease and develop the immunity .... wth!  The antivaxxer just invented vaccinaton .. d'oh! This just underlines that many of them have no idea how it all works!

You can believe whatever you want, but when the beliefs start interfering with whatever I want to believe then we have a problem. It is like freedom of thought, speech and action only apply to those who believe the way they do ...

Thanks for posting that picture. I'm going to use it next time the anti-vaxers raise their heads above the local parapet.

25 minutes ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Wendy, you island suggestion is what the Brits tried back in the 1800's sending all their criminals to Australia 🙂

Then they realized what a nice place it was LOL!

You mean after it was discovered by William Janszoon? ("Bill-Son of Jan) and James took credit for it? (Well the indigenous people at the time told him, didn't they?

The Spanish called the island later "  "Austrialia del Espiritu Santo" - "Southern land of the Holy Spirit"  Maybe some on that Island need to be reminded?

I have a number of Friends and relatives there and it has been on my bucket list for some time now but it will probably stay there for a little while longer. (If my dogs can't go, I don't go)

I love the sound of rain too. It reminds me of caravan holidays in Wales. It always rained, and the sound of it on the caravan roof, but being dry and cosy inside, I found very comforting. 

Conspiracy theories are just click bate these days. Say something emotive and you'll have people wanting to read about it and argue about it whether they agree or disagree. Great way to cash in on monetized YouTube videos, gain followers, sell newspapers etc etc. 

I've also heard it said that that conspiracies are created to make stupid people feel clever 😁 

But I have to remember that even a stopped clock is right twice a day 😂. Never say never. I mean what do any of us know really? Even facts have a half life! 

I listened to this a little while back, might be of interest :) One of The Guardian Science Weekly podcasts:

17 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Ever since the invention of removable type, you never could trust the newspapers. Not by a long shot

The medieval troubadours were probably not all that reliable either

12 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Conspiracy theories are just click bate these days.

Not exactly!  Not in the US. Conspiracy theories can be very dangerous 

What happened in the US on January 6th and for a great deal what led up to it, was caused by conspiracy theories (look up QAnon)

8 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Not exactly!  Not in the US. Conspiracy theories can be very dangerous 

What happened in the US on January 6th and for a great deal what led up to it, was caused by conspiracy theories (look up QAnon)

Yes I agree, very dangerous, and made worse by those interested in profit and power. 
I didn't mean click bate it was innocuous, quite the opposite :) 

3 hours ago, stevemart said:

Venus de Milo looks innocuous to me but others might simply describe her as being 'armless'!🙃

NickPic112 2021-01-21, 22_19_40.jpg

ROFL ..... love that!

Charles, I think when it comes to vaccines so many people do not know how they work. I had to pick up something from a client yesterday, he is a big antivaxxer  ...  he had some print out that he claimed was from some professionals. However it was quoting how the usual vaccines are made and why they take 10 years. He failed to understand that this vaccine uses different technology in its creation, not only that, it is the first time in global history (that we know of) that there has been a pooling of knowledge resources, this is why there have been several solutions to the same problem.
Immunity comes from a body developing antibodies to fight an invading organism ... until we gain immunity we are vulnerable. ...

lol Jeff .... they did send their crims here that is for sure. I am not sure back then that they thought it was such a "nice" place. As well as that there has been some speculation that the Portuguese actually came before the Spanish! Apart from the Indigenous who have been here for 40,000 plus years the rest of it is a speckled history.
Are you sure your wife was using the word innocuous Jeff, I tend to use other words when describing my spousal unit or my offspring units!

Rudy I believe the Spanish were not that impressed ... that is why they did not claim it. Dogs ... that would be a hard one, they would have to do a huge quarantine. A couple of Hollywood Stars (Johnny Depp and Amber Heard) got into trouble over that.
Yes conspiracy theories are dangerous, especially when they cherry pick truths to confirm them. It makes them sound credible.
As for the invention of removable type, it started way before that, there is even evidence in Egypt where people were erased from history by removing any mention of them in the artworks and carvings. If they are not mentioned then they did not exist and whatever they did is either forgotten about or attributed to somebody else.

Linda rain on a caravan roof is great ... I love it. lol on the stopped clock being right twice a day .... great observation.

Cancelling it is the only logical choice given we have no idea when there will be control over the spread. I hadn't heard as I've been vegging in front of the tv most of the evening practicing my drawing. And my first EL of the year came in late today too apparently. Not very impressive (for an EL) at just over $11. And tomorrow we are supposed to have rain.

not that any of those topics are connected. Just rambling :D 

Wendy, I'm not sure when I had my last EL either. I'd have to look back. They're definitely not as abundant as we were once led to believe they would become when they lowered the cost for customers and rates to us. I'm guessing SS still gets a nice sized slice of the pie still though.

7 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Awww, they canceled the Olympics. But it's the only thing to do, really, as the pandemic rages on.

I heard this morning that the Japanese officials are insisting that it WILL go ahead 🤔 So maybe it's not cancelled after all? 

Sheila, what is it you are drawing?! I'm always sketching, painting, crafting, making. I decided to try to learn to draw properly (one of my weakest areas) a while back and I'm slowly going through a great book practising away :)

Linda are you reading the "Drawing on the right side of the brain"?

I borrowed it from the library 20+ years ago, and it was pretty interesting, and helpful, but I never got farther that the beginning on it before I had to take it back.  So, it's been about 20 years since I drew / painted anything.

I saw the article about the Olympics (it was fresh "off the press") yesterday, but it appears the IOC has since denied it. In the article the Japanese government had concluded it was not a good idea. I still think canceling it is the only smart thing to do, but I guess we'll see what happens.

27 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Linda are you reading the "Drawing on the right side of the brain"?

I borrowed it from the library 20+ years ago, and it was pretty interesting, and helpful, but I never got farther that the beginning on it before I had to take it back.  So, it's been about 20 years since I drew / painted anything.

I saw the article about the Olympics (it was fresh "off the press") yesterday, but it appears the IOC has since denied it. In the article the Japanese government had concluded it was not a good idea. I still think canceling it is the only smart thing to do, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I agree cancelling it would be smart. At the very least I hope they decide not to have spectators. Maybe they can do it in a covid secure way without but I can't see it being possible with. 

Sounds like an interesting book! The one I'm slowly (very slowly lol) going through is called Drawing, Seeing and Observation by Ian Simpson. It was on my book list when I did an OCA course years ago. I bought it and never opened it! I decided it was about time to get my monies worth from it :D 
It's a great book if you feel like giving drawing another go.

I finished illustrating a poem I wrote the other day. I did it for a friend in MA about a deer that rings her wind chimes every day. I'm always fiddling about with creative stuff, I'm hoping if I learn to draw properly it will help everything else I do. 

I should be doing more photography though, I guess that's where your creative talents bloom Sari 😊 I bounce from one thing to another, not sure that's the best plan! 

I remember that book drawing on the right side of the brain. I don't recall what all is in it as it's been probably more than 20 years since I read it. My dad was a really talented artist. Painted and drew pretty much daily (except when he was serving in the military) from the time he was a pre-teen. It's definitely a skill one has to hone. But a lot of it is reteaching yourself how to see things. the basic shapes in life. Start with the basic shape then build up around it.

Linda, I'm mainly doing cartoon type work right now. I could get back into more realistic drawing if I was using an actual pencil and paper, but using the ipad is a larger learning curve. I'm using the free version of adobe fresco and now that I've figure out a few things, it's going a bit easier. Kind of a PITA that it doesn't have basic shapes that you can just stamp (like circles and squares) so it's all free hand. I don't think the paid version has those either so i'm not willing to pay almost $10 a month for the upgraded version when it doesn't even seem to offer more than the free version. I've submitted a few finished images to see if they're high enough quality to be accepted and they were accepted here, at adobe and on DT. I didn't get down the rest of my list to upload them yet. The image of Ariel I posted awhile back was my first drawing with fresco. I have an apple pencil too of course.