The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

24 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Congratulations. Awesome Sheila. 👍

I don't believe that so much money is paid for a photo of a Dutch politician. 🙂 By the way, I only see them on TV

3.75 is the highest for me in January.

lol I dont think they would pay that much for an Australian politician!

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

I'm getting very close to finishing this board game that I'm designing. The artwork has taken ages to do. And before that, a fair amount of time was spent planning and coming up with ideas. I should be able to get the cards printed tomorrow. Hopefully, I should have a working / playable copy soon. 

Hard to say what they're going to use it for. It was an image of Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the house. She's from San Francisco so I have the opportunity to get images of her from time to time (during normal times). The other images I have that are selling consistently are of Kamala Harris.  She's from Oakland, which is also right next door to us, and I was lucky to get a couple decent images from her first rally and then from the DNC in SF. Without those images, I'd likely be in the same boat as everyone else.

Yard work Saturday. The kids seem to disagree with me. LOL.Got my Cosco run in this morning and been trying to catch up with the weeds. Missing going to all the editorial events that would've occurred if we weren't in lockdown. Transplanted some of my milkweed into the garden today too. We're in for a heat wave this weekend so I figure it's a good time to get it established out there.

Wendy, glad you didn't get hit by the cyclone. We are getting high winds here last night and today. Up to 60 mph. Last night I was trying to figure out WTH was going on if it was hailing or something because we'd get bursts of something hitting the roof above our bedroom (no attic in this room so the ceiling is the roof). Realized it was the wind blowing debris on the house. I thought it was maybe some final acorns left in the tree, but this morning when I went outside, I realized it was all the sticker bombs from the gum trees. The yard and driveway and street is littered with them. At least they'll all fall at once this year rather than for the next few months. No point in trying to clean anything up til tomorrow when hopefully the winds will have died down.

8 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Wendy - that's awesome.

Did you get rain out of it, though, don't you need some?

Sari we are not getting torrential rain which is a good thing but we are getting rain. We have had about 18 inches of rain so far this month which is a reasonable amount. It has been steady most of the time so it is getting to soak into the ground and down to the water table rather than running off into the creeks and river. Because it has been so dry and now wet a lot of trees are deciding to lie down on the job.

You are right the rain is much needed .... my water tanks are full now but the water table needs replenishing.

We did not get any rain out of the cyclone, it seemed to dump all its water load on its south side .. in fact I have never seen a cyclone act the way it did.

It is a low pressure system now and coming back up the coast ... so I think we are still in watch and wait mode ....

Jeff I hope a new era of increased stability comes about after Thursday.

Sheila, we always have things coming down on our roof, the cockatoos love bombing us with pine cones. On a corrugated tin roof they sound like rocks hitting the roof. So I can sympathise, it sounds like a mess!

Wendy - isn't rain on the tin roof the best sound ever, though? :D

Maybe the low pressure system will bring some more nice rain to you, instead of damaging cyclone rain :)

And yeah, regarding tomorrow, I hope some things start getting better, finally.

Now if they could somehow get the vaccinations on proper track, too, it seems a lot of areas are not doing to good on that at all.

2 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Wendy - isn't rain on the tin roof the best sound ever, though? :D

Maybe the low pressure system will bring some more nice rain to you, instead of damaging cyclone rain :)

And yeah, regarding tomorrow, I hope some things start getting better, finally.

Now if they could somehow get the vaccinations on proper track, too, it seems a lot of areas are not doing to good on that at all.

It is I love it :) listening to it right now actually, not heavy just gentle rain and it sounds so gooooooooooooooooooood!

There are still a lot of people here who are worried about the vaccinations .... I am figuring the risk of side effects is better than the risk of getting the virus to be honest. If anyone in this family caught it we would at best be hospital cases but more than likely it would take us out because our other issues would not cope with it.

7 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

It is I love it :) listening to it right now actually, not heavy just gentle rain and it sounds so gooooooooooooooooooood!

There are still a lot of people here who are worried about the vaccinations .... I am figuring the risk of side effects is better than the risk of getting the virus to be honest. If anyone in this family caught it we would at best be hospital cases but more than likely it would take us out because our other issues would not cope with it.

Millions have already been vaccinated. If the side effects are really bad we would have heard about it by now. Of course there will be some risk of side effects, there are with any vaccine. Norway reported 23 deaths out of 30,000 vaccinated all of whom were elderly. That is a death rate of 0.076%. In the USA, the death rate amongst those who contracted Covid is in the region of 1.6%. So the virus is around 20 times more deadly than the vaccine.

I'm getting my first dose of the vaccine on Monday. Hopefully I'll tolerate it well.

Listen to the rhythm of the falling rain

Telling me just what a fool I've been

I wish it would go away and let me cry in vain...............

Actually, I love the sound of falling rain, not when it is a torrent, but just a nice steady rhythm

Fortunately the woman I married does as well, so we put a tin roof on our Gazebo, so we can enjoy it :-)

LOL Jeff. Only on the Gazebo? Not on the house? LOL.

I love the sound of rain hitting the sidewalk, puddles of water, etc. But I'm an incredibly light sleeper, so loud noises on the roof and sleep aren't something that happens at the same time. Sebastian is terrified of the rain. He wasn't sure what to think about all the wind today either.

10 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Problem is the nuts are already out making up conspiracies and wacky stories. First it was some leader in Brazil, said could turn someone into an alligator and they wouldn’t be liable. (he was misquoted widely, as he was actually saying the drug companies were not responsible for side effects) . Now I see a guy that was trying to sabotage doses, I think by allowing them to warm up, because he thinks it's going to alter people's DNA. Local lady told me, "well fine now, but what happens five years down the road, the shots could cause cancer or something". There will be more.

If people believe that 5G causes Coronavirus. No Really! Some were trying to stop work or destroy towers. Then people will believe anything in times when we don't have all the solid answers about Covid-19.

This is a problem with the Internet. Anyone can write anything and some people will be taken in and believe. Maybe not the Internet so much as people who can't think or distinguish BS from the truth?

Just in case anyone reading doesn't understand: Vaccines help develop immunity by imitating an infection.

Vaccines are not a drug or a chemical or some strange foreign substance. They trigger a reaction in our body, to the virus, which makes our own bodies create an immune response.

3 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Problem is the nuts are already out making up conspiracies and wacky stories. First it was some leader in Brazil, said could turn someone into an alligator and they wouldn’t be liable. (he was misquoted widely, as he was actually saying the drug companies were not responsible for side effects) . Now I see a guy that was trying to sabotage doses, I think by allowing them to warm up, because he thinks it's going to alter people's DNA. Local lady told me, "well fine now, but what happens five years down the road, the shots could cause cancer or something". There will be more.

If people believe that 5G causes Coronavirus. No Really! Some were trying to stop work or destroy towers. Then people will believe anything in times when we don't have all the solid answers about Covid-19.

This is a problem with the Internet. Anyone can write anything and some people will be taken in and believe. Maybe not the Internet so much as people who can't think or distinguish BS from the truth?

Just in case anyone reading doesn't understand: Vaccines help develop immunity by imitating an infection.

Vaccines are not a drug or a chemical or some strange foreign substance. They trigger a reaction in our body, to the virus, which makes our own bodies create an immune response.

We have had all of this and more on our local Facebook messageboards. Social media has given the congenital idiots in our society a platform to spout their nonsense. 

Our vaulted ceiling in the combined living room/kitchen/dining area, plus the loft ensures you know if it's raining, and torrential rain can get loud. The bedroom however, is much more quiet in that regard because there's an attic partially over it, and the loft.

The barn can get insanely loud in heavy rain, I've taken shelter there a few times from a thunderstorm, and you can't hear your own thoughts when it's pouring down, LOL!

Pete - just tell that local lady that after the vaccination she'll grow and extra pair of arms and an extra head that's always looking back for better visibility, and that it will be really handy to have all that! :P

8 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Social media has given the congenital idiots in our society a platform to spout their nonsense. 

Not only that, but the misinformation campaigns that are being pushed to a lot of people through facebook and other social networking sites. Like I've said before - if one is getting their news from the facebook, they're being an idiot.

It seems that especially older people who grew up 50 years ago or more and got used to being able to trust newspapers, don't understand that one can't place that same trust on what they read online nowadays. Critical thinking skills are missing. The sad thing is, also a lot of school systems in the US are against any kind of teaching of those skills, because they'd rather have the students blindly trust whatever an authority is telling them. I'm not saying all "oldies" (I'm one of them) are like that, but way too many are too easily misled by BS.