The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Still a few years ago I would have made it to level four in a month, but DLs have dropped so much in the last years that it'll take way longer now. Looks like I'm another 10% slower than even last year, which was super slow.

I guess not having those well selling editorials has its downsides, huh? :P

Not only slow DLs, but my highest earning image sale this month is in pennies, too. At least I had a video sale that helps a bit, but even that being at 15% royalty sucks. This time last year I would have made double the money (if not more?) on that sale alone.

Spilled milk and all that... yadda yadda...

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

At least they're going by #DL's and not $$ like the first path to the levels was. Hardly anyone would get bumped up if they'd done it the other way. I actually had a $15 SOD today too. Would've been much nicer if it wasn't just 20% but at least it wasn't when I was only at 15% so I get a little bit more.

Not devoting a lot of time to photography the last few weeks anyway. Got sucked in to the Amazon Prime series "The Expanse". It was mentioned by someone on the Adobe Discord channel so I figured I'd check it out. I've been watching a few hours almost daily. But then after mentioning it to my husband he told me he actually has the books it's based on. So now I spend a few days reading a book then watch the next season on TV and alternate. I started on the second book yesterday. it's classified as a "Space Opera". It bounces between all the characters so it's kind of like watching a soap opera, but it's in space. Anyone who likes SciFi would love this series. It's a nice break from the crime series books and TV shows I'd been watching previously. But definitely not getting much in the way of photos done. Did come across a daddy long legs today though and shot a few clips of that. One was mostly useable and it got accepted. we'll see if it sells. Freaked out my daughter because of course they do that circular rapid motion thing when they are disturbed. camera couldn't stay focused on it when it was doing that. And I wasn't too happy with the paneling on the wall behind it, but it's kind of hard to move a spider so you can get the angle wanted.

Wendy, thanks for the tips on the brush options.

To my surprise, I actually did a decent job of tracing a scanned drawing using Bezier curves today. Though after completing the work, I realised that I had forgotten to create a new layer specifically for the Bezier curves. The original plan was to delete the background layer containing the original drawing, leaving the curves intact. But now I can't do that because the drawing and the curves are on the same layer. 

I could start again from scratch but Ive got a strong feeling that I won't be able to do as good a job. I think luck must have been on my side today. I don't suppose it's possible to somehow save the current curves as a new, separate layer? That does seem doubtful.

Patrick, unfortunately, you have to create the layer before doing the work. Sorry to hear you put so much work into it and have to re-do it. That is definitely frustrating.

Kind of frustrated the spider didn't move much while I had it in focus, but I did get a nice close up. Not as good as Sari's little jumper spiders (and not as cute) 

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1065158695-4k-hd-video-zooming-on-pholcus-phalangioides

Sheila yea that's the sad truth. I did end up doing the work again and it turned out overall quite decent. Though looking closely at both attempts, there's one portion of the Bezier curves that I'm not happy with. It's where it auto completes the path and in these examples, it created sharp edges which is not really what I wanted. Looks like I'll have to do it again but choose a different point to start / finish. By the way, this artwork is for the board game I'm designing.

Nice work on the daddy long legs spider. That looks very similar to the daddy long legs we get over here. When I went over to the US to Michigan a few years ago, I noted that the daddy long legs looked quite different to what I'm used to with a fair bit of orange.

Well this is really strange. Ive just opened the latest file with the Bezier curves and those curves have completely vanished. They are nowhere to be seen despite saving the changes last night. I saved without merging layers. When I switch between the two layers, the curves don't show up. Also, when I use the Direct Selection Tool and click on the outline of the scanned drawing, the curves still don't appear. 

I guess there's some trick to make these curves visible?

Wendy, I worked out my issue. All I needed to do was to click on the Paths tab to make the curves visible. 

Yea I realise it makes sense to use the dedicated programs to use these curves. Though that takes time to learn new programs. At least with Photoshop, if I can do the curves decently, the rest of the workflow is familiar to me (resizing, moving elements etc.) 

Wendy, by the way, how would I go about saving it as a work path? I saved normally just then. It does seem that when doing that, I can bring the curves back when I click on the Paths tab in Photoshop. 

Ive actually just done another trace of my artwork with Bezier curves and this one turned out better than the previous two. No more sharp edges this time. Though I still haven't definitely mastered this tool. 

Yeah, we get a lot of the daddy long leg spiders around the house. This one shot up to the ceiling when I was doing the video and never got a chance to shoot any photos after the fact as my dtr irradicated it. She was totally freaking out once it moved (poor thing picked the kids computer room to hide out in, although I'm not really fond of spiders in the house either. I was going to move it outside, but reading up on them they only ever live inside). 

Would be interesting to find out whereabouts the daddy long legs resided in nature before humans built their homes.

Regarding Bezier curves, Ive just come across another stumbling block. I deleted the background layer that contained the scanned drawing. Though when I did that, the Bezier curves disappeared too. I have two layers intact which contain the curves. Though the curves themselves are not visible. Clicking on Paths won't bring them back like it used to. There also used to be a thumbnail image in the Paths tab but that is no longer there. 

I did not save changes so I guess I can always go back. Though it would be nice to be able to see the curves after I delete the background layer. 

Just now, Patrick Cooper said:

Would be interesting to find out whereabouts the daddy long legs resided in nature before humans built their homes.

Regarding Bezier curves, Ive just come across another stumbling block. I deleted the background layer that contained the scanned drawing. Though when I did that, the Bezier curves disappeared too. I have two layers intact which contain the curves. Though the curves themselves are no longer visible. Clicking on Paths won't bring them back like it used to. There also used to be a thumbnail image in the Paths tab but that is no longer there. And it said "Work Path" next to the thumbnail (that text is no longer there.)

I did not save changes so I guess I can always go back. Though it would be nice to be able to see the curves after I delete the background layer. 

Okay I worked out a solution to my problem. And that is to select Stroke Path using the brush option. Then the background layer can be deleted, leaving behind just the curves. And a handy tip I got from a youtube video was to delete the path afterwards to make the lines smoother. 

YouTube has some pretty good videos. I even found directions for a crochet pattern that was making no sense to me there. Seeing it makes it make a lot more sense (some people really don't know how to write concise instructions on things - I had to make notes in the book to clarify the pattern directions so I'd remember how to do it the next time I try to do it. Or for the next person).

Lazy days here. Nothing new and exciting. Definitely lacking in the motivation dept right now.

21 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy, by the way, how would I go about saving it as a work path? I saved normally just then. It does seem that when doing that, I can bring the curves back when I click on the Paths tab in Photoshop. 

In the Paths panel, top right is a menu top is "Save Path". But I think, I think it only saves it within the document. not for using elsewhere. I think after you have got it right then define it as a custom shape. This can then be stroke or filled and resized smoothly..

I prefer notes to videos, when I watch a video I keep pausing it to make notes in my notebook lol.

Sheila my mojo left the building ages back, I sure hope it is having a good time without me.

4 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

I've been MEANING to edit and submit SOMEthing for the last three weeks..... still haven't made it that far....

I wonder what stole the motivation....... cough cough............ helloooo, SS?

I remember now. My motivation was pushed off the reset cliff. I think it's suffering from a subdural hematoma and possibly in a coma.

Wendy, I think you mentioned the possibility of my science themed board game being played at schools. That's a really cool idea that I like though I think there are other science themed board games that would be more suitable for that. Mine is very light on science. It doesn't go into it in any depth. And I don't think it would do much to enhance someone's understanding of scientific concepts. Well there is some evaporation that goes on as part of the game play but that's pretty basic. Perhaps my game might hopefully allow someone to gain an appreciation for nature / science. But I don't think a school student would learn a lot from it. 

There are some other board games that explore biological functions. One of those being Cytosis (a game I haven't played.) I believe Cytosis is set inside a human cell and deals with enzymes and carbohydrates etc. I think a game like that could be useful in a classroom. 

I admit that is a nice idea - a board game being used for educational purposes.

Patrick, the spiders that don't live outside, must have lived in holes, caves etc., before we made nice cosy places for them.

I think I lost my mojo a long time ago, have not done anything photography wise that is, all last year, which is a shame, because I have been doing all kinds of things that would have made great business type shots, building electronic circuits, repairing and programming transceivers, building antennas and putting them up, volunteering for the Sheriff's dept, etc, etc.  I was operating the lift for the erection of the tower in the photo. The other shot is me on a "Man Lift" putting up my antenna.

Talking about the Sheriff's dept, I broke my previous record for being "On Call" (just means I am available if they need me). Actually get called out maybe 5% of that time, unfortunately some of it is in the middle of the night. Had two call outs already this month that I was involved with a rollover accident (a logging truck with great op for photos during the day), and a shooting late at night, I got home at 1:30 AM, no real photo ops there. I do take photos with my cell phone which we use to train new guys and gals, but no real camera stuff.

Since we have deer and turkey's, Quail, Dove here all the time, I guess I have become desensitized to the photo ops. If Sheila or Mike were here I would be motivated, now that I think about it, I missed photo ops with my boat fishing up on Priests Lake, and other lakes, also missed snow removal with my plow truck.  I do miss the opportunity to go out with Sheila on photo trips, have not found a photo "Buddy" to get me incentivized up here in WA.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.44.52 AM.png

2020-12-21 14.25.53.jpg

Putting up Daves tower2.jpg

Putting up my Hex2.JPG

Jeff, I almost messaged you yesterday to see if you had any suggestions on locations that might not be closed due to the pandemic where I could release butterflies that has photogenic flowers this time of year. Or at least photogenic backgrounds for close ups. I've got five more chrysalis' that should emerge some time early in this coming week if they stay on schedule with all the others. I was surprised to find so many caterpillars on the dwindling milkweed out front (I had gone out to trim it back to encourage bushier new growth and found 6 fairly large caterpillars munching away so I had to put off the trimming plans). But now they're all safely in their chrysalis' and don't need the milkweed anymore. The flowers at the garden centers are just not what I'm looking for and all the "gardens" in the area have covid restrictions. I'm going to go to an area by a lake on the island to see what landscaping they have, but otherwise, I'm not sure where to go. Thinking Coyote Hills is probably fairly desolate this time of year too.  I would definitely be in heaven shooting all the wildlife you get out there. I'm sure Mike would have a field day. The things he comes up with inspire me to try to think more "out of the box". I think the lid has been glued shut on my box. Still trying to pry it lose. You should play with your drone and shoot more footage. You could get a lot of good footage there too.

14 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I remember now. My motivation was pushed off the reset cliff. I think it's suffering from a subdural hematoma and possibly in a coma.

Sounds about right for here, too.

Motivation has been disconnected of its oxygen supply, and it's experiencing serious, life-threatening convulsions.