The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. That and it's good for cropping to a vertical and still being decent enough size for printing so it could make a good magazine cover too IMO. Those birds are so skittish they are hard to catch most of the time. Unless they're really used to people. They are my favorite bird.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

Kind of funny the birds trying to drink even though the water was obviously frozen over. Does the rain and/or snow trigger the motion sensor on the camera? Doesn't look like the snow stuck around for very long. The bobcat definitely lives close by too since it shows up frequently in the area.

Rain or snow falling won't trigger the motion sensor, but a strong gust that jerks the camera can do that. Birds flying by, leaves, tree limbs moving in the wind will trigger it. Sometimes you never see what triggered it as it's gone by the time the video starts.

I think seeing the bobcat three times within a month is about the most I've ever had it on trail cam. Usually it's once or twice per month, and sometimes several months pass where I don't catch it at all on any of the cameras.

And yeah the snow was gone in a few days, it's unusual for it to stay even that long.

Sometimes there's a narrow gap between the ice and the edge of the lid that holds it, as that's where it melts first, and the birds and squirrels know to try drinking the water from there.

Jeff-  yeah, they're fat and numerous! 😮

Made another batch of banana muffins this morning. We buy a lot of bananas because my husband is supposed to use them to replace the potassium he loses with his meds, but some weeks other people eat them a lot more than others so it's a guessing game to make sure they're all still edible. They were quite over ripe this time around too. Disgusting IMO to peel them. But the banana bread turned out really well. I didn't use the grated lemon peel last time because I didn't have a lemon. I made sure i had one this time. It definitely makes a difference in the flavor.

Hey there Sheila. Yea I haven't vanished completely.

By the way, I gave Bezier curves another go in Photoshop for a project I'm working on. My gosh, they are frustrating. Just like last time, I'm close to pulling my hair out. I think I'll have to try an alternative. 

Wendy, thanks for the tips. I might have to look at those other programs. I believe I may have used Illustrator many years ago but Ive forgotten pretty much everything about it. 

By a stroke of luck, Ive actually just created something useful with Bezier curves in Photoshop. Though the lines themselves look really thin. Is there any way I can make them slightly thicker?

44 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy, thanks for the tips. I might have to look at those other programs. I believe I may have used Illustrator many years ago but Ive forgotten pretty much everything about it. 

By a stroke of luck, Ive actually just created something useful with Bezier curves in Photoshop. Though the lines themselves look really thin. Is there any way I can make them slightly thicker?

I believe the line is dictated by whatever brush you have selected ....

so after you have done your line, right click and select "stroke path",  if you select brush then it will stroke whatever brush you have selected including colour. The line will not show up as anything until you have added a stroke to the line.

Again it is much easier in Illustrator.

8 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

well done Sheila, I might get there in about 3 months ,,,,

Me too, Feb. if I'm very lucky. You're knocking them out @Sheila Fitzgerald 😀

I've always found Hummers to be less than shy, they fly up and sip on the hanging planters on the porch. Sounds like a big insect sometimes, before I realize it's a bird.

LOL Pete. Yeah, I know the sounds they make, esp the popping when they dive down to try and scare off another bird or what ever it is they think is in their area (I had one dive bomb me and pop down only inches from my head, I could feel some air move). Love those birds :D 

I expect to be back at level four by the end of this month. Esp after the riots in DC. My images of Nancy Pelosi, Kamala Harris, Adam Schiff, etc are selling actively again. The video levels will take me much longer to progress through. I've only had two video sales so far this month and only for a few dollars each, so that's pretty sad.