The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

We had rain yesterday and overnight. Sebastian wasn't impressed (he still does not like water on him). Supposed to be cold but mostly sunny the rest of the week so should be nice. My husband got the dog out on a walk today, which is the first walk he's had all week with holiday chaos and weather issues.  Congrats on the new boots Sari. I would be miserable if my feet got cold and wet all the time.

Had two zoom sessions for Christmas. one in the morning to watch our grandson open presents (that was entertaining and fun) and then another one with my husbands siblings and parents plus our kids. Honestly I thought it was better than when we all travel to get together anyway. At least I could be comfortable and when it's done you get to sleep in your own bed for the night. Only issue was the sketchy wifi connection so the audio kept cutting out (more in the afternoon than in the morning) and the video would freeze. Got disconnected on the afternoon call too so finally had to go back to my desktop which has a dedicated line attached. The sofa downstairs is just a more comfortable spot and then Sebastian can curl up on my lap instead of whining behind me because i'm not paying adequate attention to him. He's not happy when I sit at my computer.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I've definitely been floored by the whole thing. Trying to keep up with reading the thread about it, but gave up around page 72. I agree that if we have to start at the bottom every January, they shou

Posted Images

3-4 inches of snow last night up here in the INW!

No zoom for us, guess they were just too busy down there in Florida.

My daughter Hannah, has her four children ages 29, 16, 11, 8, and her oldest Jasmin has her 4 children (all under 7), plus the Granddaughters husband, his brother and the brothers girlfriend! Quite a house full, people sleeping everywhere, I think my daughter is regretting having everyone over, her grandchildren are so unruly.

Glad we are not there:-)

Congrats on the new boots Sari!

Sheila - yeah, towards the end (for the last few weeks) I put ziplock bags over my feet before putting them in the old boots - LOL - kept my feet drier :D The downside is that sometimes they were sliding off inside the boots and I still ended up with cold feet... :P

You need to get some sort of booster for your wifi signal downstairs! A mesh network connected to the router so it covers more area?

Our wifi is not the best in the world by a long shot, but it helps to have s small house to avoid issues. I can also go outside quite far from the house and still maintain a wifi connection. It's handy when I need to show the ponies to the grandkids :P

Jeff - thanks :D:D

Back when my kids were small we'd be at my g'mom's house for Christmas, and THAT was s houseful of people - to the tune of 30+ in a small house! But yeah, maybe just half stayed over for the night, just not enough room.

That is cool that you had zoom calls Sari, I have still not worked it out. Congrats on the new boots! Bummer on the parcels not arriving on time.

We have been getting little bits of rain too Sheila, I am loving it! I had to laugh that Sebastian was whining behind you ... typical toddler!

Jeff under 7s are always unruly, I was at my nephew's place on Christmas Day, I think 5 of the kids were under 10 ... then a few mid teens .... we counted our blessings that we were fortunate enough to be able to have a family gathering. Your daughter has a biggish family all on her own!

Sari, my husband said he'd be working on fixing the wifi so it works everywhere, but his timeline isn't always earthbound. I have no doubt he will eventually fix it. But when is  totally up in the air...

Jeff, yeah, we used to take turns hosting Christmas. The last time we did was when my husbands parents both ended up in the hospital (his mom actually flat lined it on our stairs) Since then we decided we'd all always travel to So Cal so they didn't have to travel anymore for as long as they are with us. But last year they just didn't even feel up for that so we all just did our own thing. So the zoom meetings on Christmas is actually nicer because they can do the zoom meetings too and not have to be exhausted by everyone being in their house. I understand a few phone consultations with one of my SIL's went into that to get them set up and able to log in. My dtr fixed my screen so I had the brady bunch view vs the one where you have to scroll across to see who's on. I didn't even realize that option was there til she taped on my screen. So having teenagers who are more in tune with the technology is a plus :D

Wendy, as mentioned above, I'm pretty new to the zoom world too! LOL. If there's a need, you'll figure it out I'm sure. Glad you're getting some rain too. I know last years fires there were horrid. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of any of that this year.

Taking the foster kittens back tomorrow. Picking up a couple new ones.The new ones apparently have congenital eye defects and they're scheduled for surgery some time mid January, but they'd like them not to be stuck in the shelter the whole time. Theoreticallly healthy otherwise, so that's good. Just have to do eye drops twice/day. I'll probably set up to do some video and photos of that process since they'll be here on that routine for several weeks. These ones we have now are much more laid back and relaxed after almost a week of free roaming of the one room they have. 

Wendy, yes and no. It's noisy at the shelter (and colder and smaller confined space) so the behavior is definitely different. But the shelter has a new "store" at a local shopping mall where the smaller kittens go before being adopted and they're in a room three times the size of the room we have them in here. Generally with other kittens unless they're antisocial. These ones seem curious when they see our cats (don't hiss at them) so I'd guess they'd be social with any other kittens there. So once they have a few hours to get the lay of the land, they should be back to where they are here. Except that they'll also be recovering from their spay surgeries so they'll be a bit more subdued as a result of that. Some kittens are more sensitive to the noise and chaos of the shelter so they seem to regress more, but usually they're good at the shopping center because it's just cats (no dogs there) so it's much quieter/calmer environment.

Wendy - we actually didn't use zoom for the group video chat, but another app that we already have been using for years, it just has an easy way to add people to the video chat, so no technical skill or knowledge required.

Sheila - you mean your husband has the programmers' timeline, where "soon" means any time between now and the next ten years? :D

My friends and I used Skype for years, but it seems my daughter is a slave to fashion and does not want to use Skype, prefers what ever is new on her phone, so will not even use a computer, would rather spin around waving her phone at things trying to make me sick or dizzy LOL!.

Zoom is good, the local radio clubs use it, and so does our SCOPE group.

lol my hubby is not a "programmer" as such but as a systems administrator I know those versions of "soon"! I am still waiting for all the music, books and videos to be accessible to me ... they are buried in his system somewhere!

The kids here did a lot of their online lessons via zoom. It was good for them to have that contact with teachers and peers.

6 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

My beautiful Persian boy Simba (photo above in this thread) just passed away peacefully while we were giving him love and care and he was responding right up to the last moments. Devastated after 10 years of wonderful joy with this little boy. 

Steven please accept my best wishes, I am sorry for your loss. hug!

5 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

My beautiful Persian boy Simba (photo above in this thread) just passed away peacefully while we were giving him love and care and he was responding right up to the last moments. Devastated after 10 years of wonderful joy with this little boy. 

I'm so sorry for your loss ((((((((hugs)))))))

RIP little Simba

Wow, the whole forum is dead 😮

Rain here. Just over an inch during the night, which is not that much, but combined with 34F (27F wind chill) temps, it's quite miserable to be in. The horses are in, so they're dry. Normally Hank would be kicking down the barn wall from the outside on a cold morning to "ring the breakfast bell" , but while he CAN get out of his stall, he's preferring it where it's not wet, and only his nose is sticking out of the door.

We're also just on the line where we could get a "wintry mix" which is about the nastiest you can get as far as precipitation goes - could be freezing rain, sleet, or snow, or a mix of all or some....

Here's the pups from the last snow -

And here's the snow walk

Sari, looks like the pups really enjoy playing in the snow. Is all that wooded area on your property? That's a lot of trees. Small, but still a lot of them. We are forecast to get rain in a few days and 30-50% chance every day from Saturday on so we'll have to see what actually happens. It's been a dry year so we can definitely use the rain.  Although some of the burn scar areas are in danger of mudslides if we get too much.

We are up to 25.4 cm of snow now, that is 10 inches for the metric deficient 😉

No problem, getting snowed in, I usually plow when it is around 3-4 inches, so have done that three times today, a lot of work though as I usually help some neighbors as well

LOL Jeff. Yeah, I'm one of the "metric deficient". I have to google it as i don't even remember the formula for converting. They tried teaching that to us way too late in my education. I was well entrenched in the american system. That's a lot of snow. And a long driveway for you to plow. Awesome that you help out neighbors though. I'm sure they're appreciative.

Wendy, none would be close to us personally, but yeah. I'm ready to say goodbye to 2020 and kick it's butt out the door. Too bad we are jumping off a cliff here into 2021 too. Although given current trends I should be back at level four for photos at least by the end of January. But videos will take much longer to see any decent returns.