The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Jeff, we are going to do a Zoom call on Christmas so we can at least enjoy the grandson opening his presents. My dtr said they wake up quite early but she could have him wait so I had to tell her to let him open the stocking and some presents. He'll spend time playing with those and then round two can start when we do the zoom call (which was set for 9AM EST because my second dtr wasn't keen on waking up bright and early). That's likely going to be the hightlight of the week. Esp since he can now articulate fairly well after having almost a year of speech therapy. now. We went into lock down this week with all restaurants closed again except for take out. I didn't realize how much we ate out until we weren't able to do it anymore :(

Love the sunset image. Beautiful view.

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

Looks like Ive just joined the .33c club. A $15.14 video sale pushed me over the line. Thank you all for the encouragement. Though I must admit it took me a long time to get there. 

Posted Images

I was set to see a couple of friends outside for Christmas eve lunch, but in the last few hours the rules have changed due to a new strain running rampant, so xmas plans have to be scrapped. 
Zoom is looking like the only option to meet anyone now. 
I normally cook xmas dinner and have relatives at my house for xmas day. It's going to be very different without them this year. Oh, there is always Baileys to buddy up with I guess! I'll be eating xmas food through to Easter 😣

37 minutes ago, Wendy Townrow said:

I dont have Patrick's contact either ... but yes he has been missed!

Beautiful sky Jeff!

Thanks Wendy, we love it here, great sunsets, snow, and being up at 2400ft it is good for my amateur radio stuff, you can see some of the antennas in that picture 😉 Now how to get a few more past Susan :-) Hmm.......

Jim has not set up his amateur radio stuff here, I am not sure why. He used to be very active years ago.  He has been talking about using one of the redundant satellite dishes for something ... he might need to hike up the top of our block to get the best use of height though.  Good luck getting more past Susan! :D

I wish I could see sunsets, but I have to admit I love being surrounded by  trees so I guess I cant have it both ways.

1 minute ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Jim has not set up his amateur radio stuff here, I am not sure why. He used to be very active years ago.  He has been talking about using one of the redundant satellite dishes for something ... he might need to hike up the top of our block to get the best use of height though.  Good luck getting more past Susan! :D

I wish I could see sunsets, but I have to admit I love being surrounded by  trees so I guess I cant have it both ways.

Hey tell Jim to pull his finger out and contact me on HF, the bands are really beginning to open up, and it gets easier to contact DX stations. Canada was really active on 15m, 17m, 20m and 40m today, they had a contest so it was real easy to get them, but I can do that anyway since I am only 160kM or less from the border .  I check into the Saskatchewan and British Colombia public service nets regularly. Harder to get Europe for me, I have Mount Spokane a couple of miles from me and in the way, but get Australia, New Zealand and Japan frequently, occasionally Eastern and European Russia, as well as South America. Even the 10M band has been active, I have several countries in the past weeks on that band as well. If any of this sounds like Greek to you, I am sure Jim will explain :-)

If he is interested, I can give him some info on using Echostar, and he can check into one of our nets using a smart phone :-)

I checked into our net from Tanzania when I was there surprised the heck out of the group, and hold the record for distance in our little group, it was previously held by one of the guys who was in Florida, but I more than doubled the distance LOL!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Kwanza or whatever religious holiday you all celebrate!

Sheila - that's a nice Christmas present, congrats :D

My biggest DL today is $1.74 -- small for "biggest" -- but I got 18 of them in a row, so that's kinda unheard of....haha :D

My map looked a bit wonky there for a while :P

More DLs today than in ages, probably even years. But, nothing big, like I said - can't complain, though! 

I just double checked and you're right. They were SOD's on my end too. I only had about 4 of those The EL made up for it a bit. All I need now is a video sale and I'll have a grand slam. I've come really close, but have yet to have a day with sales in every category. Only a few hours left of today though so not going to hold my breath.

Picked up a couple of 2 month old kittens to foster/socialize for a week. they're scheduled to be spayed on Monday so I take them back Sunday, but they need socialization. I was told they're hissy and scared. They're definitely nervous but after a few hours in the kids computer room, they act like they've always lived there. Pretty laid back. One laying on the counter by my dtr as she plays games and the other sharing my sons chair with him as he's playing his games. They told me before I agreed to pick them up that these ones are totally healthy and just need social time away from the stressful environment of the shelter. That last litter losing every single kitten was emotionally devastating. There's apparently some disease that's common in kittens who are a second litter of the year. I can't recall what she said it was but apparently they had several kittens die from that this year and not just the ones I fostered.

24 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

They're definitely nervous but after a few hours in the kids computer room, they act like they've always lived there. Pretty laid back. One laying on the counter by my dtr as she plays games and the other sharing my sons chair with him as he's playing his games.

That's awesome! :)

Our little tortie is slowly coming out of her scared mode, too, and she's even going nose to nose with the dogs for some short moments. Then she scurries away.

Quick movements scare her, and she's impossible to catch if she doesn't come to you on her own. She loves being petted, but she will also swat at you.

The blue and white kitty went to the vet this morning for spaying; I'm going to collect her tomorrow. She did NOT like being in the crate, LOL!

LOL. Jasmine does that too. Wants to be petted then bites or swats and then looks at you like "why'd you stop petting me?" We just call it tortitude. That special tortie disposition :D  I'm sure the other kitty will appreciate later after she recovers. Better than having tons of kittens for sure. As cute as the kittens are and all. We have a gate in front of the kids computer room to keep the dog out, but the kittens can fit between the bars on the sides of it (the gate itself is a solid mesh) so i just put up some plastic mesh as a stop gap so nobody darts out the door when it's opened for people to come in and out. The door itself is a pocket door so it slides in and out of the wall so we have an easier time keeping all the gaps covered to keep kittens safe. They're not quite sure what to think of the dog as he sits right outside the door when I'm in there and I sometimes leave the pocket door open an inch or so so he can see in and they can see out. The larger of the two was actually curious about him til he barked at them. Then she decided he was not interesting at all. They seem to understand that he can't get in there, but the smaller kitten does hide under the sofa a lot when there's any movement in the room.

Thank you Thijs and Sheila!

Also, Happy Boxing Day to all :)

We had a video chat on Christmas Eve with my Mom and Daughter, and then on Christmas Day with my Son (plus his family) and my Daughter. They got the picture books and calendars I had made of my pics, but everything I mailed is still in transport somewhere along the way. Apparently there is not enough room for cargo on the planes, so instead of the international mail flying from Chicago to Helsinki straight, the packages went the long way around, and to Tokyo before landing in Helsinki. Maybe they get the packages before next year....... but probably not! 😮

I got new rubber boots for Christmas, and I really needed them as my old ones (I think they're 2 yrs old?) were all worn out and leaking badly so any time it was wet I got my socks wet and muddy through the holes. Maybe the new ones will keep my feet dry for a year at least.... I hope! I'm rough on my boots because I wear them pretty much every day, any time I go out, all year long.

It's supposed to be sunny and warm (66F) here today; better enjoy it because next week appears to start rainy and cold again, and after the rain, just cold 😐