The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sheila - I do have discord but I've used it probably twice, and that was with my daughter a few years ago.

I probably wouldn't know how to use it enough to contact anyone.

Oh wait, I've since switched PCs, so I might not even have it on this one. Actually I'm pretty sure it was one of the things I left to be downloaded "sometime later", and that sometime hasn't arrived yet... I wonder what else is on that list of "sometime later"... not sure where I put it either.... sheesh.

Also I hate to be trying to get someone's attention on what appears to be a public forum. Ugh.

alexeyart1 - Laurin hasn't been on the forum since forever. Not sure but he may have gotten banned?

I'm really a sad little shit today, my other (remaining) ginger boy passed yesterday and I miss his demanding attitude and the presence he had. There are still five cats in the house, but it's way too quiet, they can't make up for all the noise he alone created.

RIP Otto, I miss you 😢

stock-photo-beautiful-ginger-tabby-lit-f

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

So humid hear my glasses fog no matter what I do, mask or not. 

Posted Images

Sari, so sorry to hear about your boy. I still miss Nemo and it's been nearly a year :( 

I've only used Discord once for chat type situation. Usually it's just message boards like here with lots of different topics. Took me a few minutes to figure it out and I can't say I'm incredibily tech savvy.

Spent the morning cleaning gutters. No storms coming in anytime soon, but figured I might as well get. ontop of it since the last wind event we had yesterday blew pretty much the last of the leaves off the trees near us. I have to say, mesh gutter guards are fairly ineffective when one has an Oak tree above the house. The acorns weigh  more than the mesh can tolerate so there was quite a bit of debris in pretty much all the gutters. Even the ones with the mesh guards. Used two batteries on the leaf blower but I got the upper roof gutters completely cleared and the front lower roof gutters cleared. Still have to do the back lower roof gutters, but I emptied both batteries so I'll have to wait til they recharge. Had to use the power cord to finish up i the front lower area as it was. there was probably 2 inches of acorns in the bottom of the lower gutter above the garage (which is under the tree). Had to use a broom to push the piles of leaves and seeds to the median because it was just too heavy for the leaf blower even with the power cord attached. I leave the seeds on the median and blow the leaves off to the street for the vacuum truck. I figure the seeds should at least be available for the squirrels during the winter. The crows seem to appreciate them as well. Still need to get someone out here to trim that tree and thin it out. I've never seen as many acorns before as we had this year.

Wendy, yes. It's been insane. My neighbor across the street even commented on the noise from all the seeds falling on the cars in my driveway for several weeks a month or so back. It was worse when the crows mobbed the tree for the nuts too. They hit the roof and the cars and it sounds like somebody is throwing rocks at the house and car. Just a non-stop barrage. I need to find a tougher gutter cover at least for the areas directly under the tree. Checked the weather forecast and we have a 50-70& chance of rain this weekend (50% on Saturday 70% on Sunday) so I guess I'll finish up the back gutters later today or tomorrow. They'll be trimming the street trees in front of our house probably by Friday since the signs are up on the other half of our block for no parking now (they did the first section Monday and Tuesday half a mile down). Hopefully that doesn't add too much. more in the debris dept to the yard. Clean up has been a bear with leaves this year too. I should take a picture of the side yard before I clear it out. It's probably 3-4 inches thick in leaves right now from what has blown in from the wind event earlier this week plus what fell in there when I blew off the roof and gutters on that side of the house.

It seems like we're having lots of acorns, too, for whatever reason. On that last trailcam video the Grackles were eating them, so at least they were getting their bellies full!

Sheila - haha, you're getting leaf drifts - kinda like a snow drift where the blowing snow settles in a spot with no wind, your leaves are doing the same :D

And yeah, it's just so eerily quiet in the house. I was so used to Otto's constant demands it was a major part of the life here. Now, it's just quiet. Cocoa CAN be loud, but he does that only a couple of times a day. The others don't talk a whole lot. For years I had to religiously pick up all the wet cat food after they were done eating so Otto wouldn't engorge himself with the leftovers, and now it doesn't matter, I can leave it all for them to finish whenever they feel like it. It's so weird.

Sissy seems to be seeking more for my attention - Otto was her only friend, she doesn't get along with the others.

Also, nobody is slapping me in the face to wake me up in the morning; that was Otto's thing: "Get up! I'm HUNGRY!"

Nemo would lay on my head if I slept in too late for him. LOL. Cats sure have their ways of communicating. Of course, that was pre-dog. Ariel misses having her spot to sleep on on the bed. Hopefully some day soon she can get that back. Will start working on redirecting Sebastians chasing energy probably tomorrow. Need to watch some videos (thanks Sari) and finish with the majority of the yard debris before they vacuum the streets tomorrow or Friday. I cleared the back gutters this morning and got half the side yard cleared before the blower battery died (didn't remember to switch out the batteries b4 going to bed last night so only had one fully charged battery this morning). Used the power cord to get the back yard and we'll dump all those leaves into the street for the sweeper since my green waste is already full from trimming the neighbors tree growing over into our yard. That's what filled it last week too and it'll also fill it next week, but I at least freed up one of my pop up green bins to get the leaves picked up into. Prob do the same with the side yard (pick it up into the bin then dump it for pick up in the street) since that'll be less work in the long run than trying to blow it all to the street. The pile gets too high for the leaf blower to handle. The gas leaf blowers definitely seem to have more power than the electric ones (based on what I've seen the yard crews do cleaning up in the neighbors yards). But at least when we're done this time, we'll be mostly done for the rest of the year. Might have to clean up a bit once/week from here on out. Much more manageable than having the clear the driveway and front walk twice/day. Or risk it blowing into the house.

Sari it sounds like you are really missing him, hugs.

Sheila we dont have acorns but we have Kauri Pines and the cockatoos get into the cones and drop them on our tin roof .... the noise is enough to wake the dead!

I know exactly what you mean about leaf debris, I have just done the raking from one small section and got about 3 cubic yards of the stuff ... there is still heaps more to do. I always have leaves blowing into the house no matter what time of year.

Sari, I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Otto. I have also just lost my sweet little girl Pheebs. She fell down the stairs and broke her back on Saturday. I'm devastated. 

Otto sounds like he was a real big character ❤️ They leave a gaping hole don't they. Phoebe was a Jack Russell but she was nothing like you'd imagine, she was a total softy, a teddy bear. You know they are supposed to chase cats etc, well, she would try to make friends with any that came in the garden! A kitten started visiting once and they would play together until the kitten grew up and probably found out that not all dogs are so friendly, and decided not to visit so much. 

Pheebs was deaf and blind, so she would get under your feet just like a cat. It's weird not having her constantly bumping into my legs to check where I am.

((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))) Sari, I'm sharing your heartbreak.

RIP Otto and sweet little Pheebs

cute-dog-garden-looking-left-600w-739980

@Sari ONealvery sorry to hear of your loss of your ginger boy.

One of my two Persians has oral cancer diagnosed back on 7 May over 7 months ago. He has apparently outlived his life expectancy as most cats don't survive past 6 months with this aggressive form or cancer - but it has been a labor of love giving him his meds, supplements, subq fluids, cleaning and assist feeding. 

Linda -- ((((((((((hugs))))))))))  Sorry for your, loss, too!  :(

And like your Pheebs, Otto was always in my feet. He screamed at me every day for stomping on his tail because he HAD TO sit right behind me when I was doing something in the kitchen. Sorry, but my legs don't have eyes on the backside!

Yes, he was quite the character, and he made his presence known. I just can't get over how quiet it is now, even with the five others left in the house!

Steven - you must be doing something right with your supportive care for him to have made it thus far! Back when my other ginger boy was sick, giving him the meds was hard at first because he hated it so bad, and it made me feel like I was torturing him by trying to help him. Once he figured out that I wasn't trying to hurt him it got much easier for both of us. But, he's been gone since early May. Blackie, my calico also passed just before Christmas last year, so that's three in under a year :(

So sorry to hear about all the pet loses this year. (((HUGS))) all around.

Nothing new and exciting here. Was enjoying the quiet for a few while the tree trimmers took a break, but they're off and working again now. Hopefully I'll still be able to hear the webinar that starts shortly. they're still halfway down the block so it'll be a lot louder tomorrow when they're in front of our house. I'll probably try to shoot more video of them working as well. Although I have to say the photos of them working a few years ago trimming the trees have sold more than the video has.

Sari, I have noisy birds in the house, but it still feels soooo quiet! I know where you are coming from ((((((hugs)))))))
LOL with Otto under your feet. Pheebs was the same except I seemed to kick her more than tread on her. I was always doing the Phoebe dance trying to avoid standing on her! Being deaf and blind I don't think she realised how many times she nearly sent me arse over tit! 
Sorry to hear about your cat Steve, sounds like he is lucky to have you though x

Linda - yeah, if I ever was in the kitchen doing something, that cat was right there, making sure that if I had anything that he could eat, he was getting his share. The dogs would try that, too, but I generally try to keep them out of the working area, because there's just not enough room for all. But yeah, the cat was there, always :)

In addition to that, when I went outside to do chores or whatever, he'd follow me from window to window until I came back in.

One of the funniest things was when, every now and then, we'd open the door for a dog to go through, and Otto would dash out of the open door. He usually got about half way across the yard before we yelled "Binky!!!!" at him (his other name, lol), and he'd usually stop in his tracks, turn, and run straight back in the house. It was hilarious in its own way :)

He'd also wake me up in the middle of the night - every night - to tell me he had pooped and I needed to go clean up after him.  Imagine that :D

Found some really cute dinosaur silhouette fabric in a super soft fleece and got some grey fabric (same type but plain) to do an inside layer since it's super thin and just finished surging the two pieces together. Just need to crochet a quick border around them. My grandson is crazy into dinosaurs right now. Sent him some plastic ones for his bday a few weeks ago and he's been playing with them practically every day. I figure when I give my dtr the blanket I'm almost done crocheting for the new baby, he's going to want something too so he'll have his own new blanket as well. Rainy day projects :)  

24 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Found some really cute dinosaur silhouette fabric in a super soft fleece and got some grey fabric (same type but plain) to do an inside layer since it's super thin and just finished surging the two pieces together. Just need to crochet a quick border around them. My grandson is crazy into dinosaurs right now. Sent him some plastic ones for his bday a few weeks ago and he's been playing with them practically every day. I figure when I give my dtr the blanket I'm almost done crocheting for the new baby, he's going to want something too so he'll have his own new blanket as well. Rainy day projects :)  

Good plan Sheila, I always make a point of giving siblings presents at the same time as a new one.

The heavy rain overnight knocked almost all the remaining leaves off the trees out in my backyard and quite a bit from the front yard too. Hoping we are nearing the end of the major leaf cleanup  season. Having trouble finding something that'll thrive in the front planter due to all the shade it gets from the gum trees and oak trees out front. Thinking I might just go with camellias in there too. We have a handful of camellia trees on the side yard so I had planted more as bushes between them plus in the planter out back and along the porch by the driveway. They are just starting to produce flowers this year. Should've done them in the front planter at the same time since it takes a few years for them to really start to mature, but I was trying to go with more traditional things under the front window. The pineapple sage is doing ok, but it's so scrawny compared to the sage I have in the backyard that gets full direct sunlight a good portion of the day. I need to dig out at least a foot of rootbound soil too as the planter is just so dense from the tree roots it's probably part of the reason things are not doing well in there. We dug at foot or so of soil out of the side area of the same planter and that's where I had planted the milkweed, and it's doing fairly well considering how many caterpillars ate from them. I'll plant that more densely this next year as well. Guess I should make a list of the gardening projects so the kids can help tick them off. Digging out the roots is a minimum two person project.

We got SNOW!

It'll be gone tomorrow as soon as the sun comes out, it's been snowing since about 7am, and I think it just quit (almost 4pm). Little birds are desperate for food, and I've been tossing them seeds all day. For a while it was snowing so hard that the seeds got covered with snow right away, but, they'll find all that when the snow melts.

The horses were in the barn overnight because the precipitation started with rain, and the temps were just a little above freezing. I let them out a while ago, and they just ran around kicking their heels, I think they like snow a little bit :P  It'll be a soggy mess tomorrow, but tonight is going to be cold at about 15F (-9C) with windchill around 9F. Brrr!

The trees were really pretty for a while, covered with snow, but the wind picked up and shook most of it down, so, not so pretty any more :(

I figured the blue and white kitty is so young she's never seen snow, and I let her out of the wood shop where she spends the nights - it didn't take long for her to make a beeline back to the door - she did NOT appreciate the white stuff!! LOL!!! :D

The tortie won't get anywhere near the barn door...haha

Sheila it sounds like you need to research some shade tolerant plants for that area

lol on the kitties Sari, poor birds are probably very confused :( It has been so dry here this year that the forest is very thin, My DIL has been putting seed and other food out for the animals. as I drove up the driveway I counted 12 Sulphur Crested Cockatoos eating  ... I mentioned it to my son and he commented that a few days previously they had counted 31  ...  I know they will come where food is easiest, but they are a bit desperate right now.

Sari, sounds like fun weather (except for it being so cold). I'm sure the ground water sources will be glad to get the water. Sebastian hates rain so I'm sure he wouldn't be impressed with snow either. Hard to say for sure though. I gave the poor dog a shower bath this morning and he acted like he was dying when he was in the water and then was bouncing around like he'd taken speed after I toweled him off. The advantage of having wiry hair/fur is that he dries very fast at least

Wendy, yeah. Need to do some research i'm sure.