The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Wendy, amazing imagery of stick insects. Those wings look surreal. And gosh, the green ones look amazing. Very striking. We get brown ones over here and some of them get to a pretty large size. Unfortunately, I have seen a few close to the end of their lives on the ground, being attacked by ants. For some reason, those particular ones nearly always end up just outside of the doorstep of my bedroom door. 

• Replies 45.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

We have a Samsung smart TV in the Livingroom, which is fine, and a Samsung smart TV in our bedroom and every time we turn on the light in the bedroom, the TV comes on. We call him Fred.

Posted Images

Is there a new layout? I hadn't really noticed. Just busy preparing for TDay here. Did the last of the shopping today and did a costco run to stock up on the bulk items we use each month. I shouldn't have to leave the house for at least a week now (not that I'd likely stay in for that long being the restless person that I am). Also trying to finish up the last of the Christmas shopping and get my cards prepared to go out. I've got one more box to ship to the grandbaby and a few smaller boxes to the girls (my other daughter and my niece, who's really one of my girls anyway since we had her living with us for a number of years). I should be working on some photo projects, but my motivation still hasn't returned to the building.

Have the same stuff on the right of mine as well!

I have been busy, was out in South Dakotas hunting wild Pheasants, got back and was called out by the Sheriff's dept last night a shooting of someone who tried to run the officers down. Was there from 7:30pm until 3:00 Am this morning. Got about 3 hours sleep, so will be taking a nap later today. Then have to go pick up a trailer of barricades/cones, etc., and take it to the fairgrounds for Tuesday AM (5:00 AM start at the fairgrounds). We have to put out loads of cones for traffic control for the "Tom's Turkey Giveaway" .

It snowed last night and is again this morning, deer were in the orchard getting apples, and Susan put out some corn for them.

Interesting. That panel wasn't there when I was online yesterday (or I was so tired I didn't see it) but it's obviously there now as the chat section is only 2/3 of the page width. It's not on my phone screen either as I checkin sometimes from there instead of my desktop. Not much useful information so I'm not sure why they even have it there. I guess the programmers were bored and felt like they needed to do something to validate their paychecks.

Jeff, you certainly keep busy. I've had a month of no calls for the California Health Core. Last shifts I worked were in October. None in November so far, which is unusual since they're saying there's a surge, but apparently not in close proximity to where I am. Part of me is relieved as it's stressful trying to work in full PPE.

That panel has been there for several days for me, I don't like it, it doesn't offer anything that we'd need here. Another one of those useless changes.

Sheila I uploaded a kitty video of mine, and all the "related stock videos" that come up under it are yours, except for one, and that's another one of mine...LOL!!!

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1062637855-blue-white-tuxedo-cat-playing-orange-ball

I had to run to the feed store today as I was out of horse feed. I'm still pushing with the grocery store trip, as I don't want to go this early in the week. It's been around three weeks since I was there the last time. Tomorrow is supposed to rain, so Wednesday....

It's also cold here again. Last night was below freezing, and since we haven't had a fire in the wood stove for several weeks, it got pretty chilly in the house. I just had to start a fire because I was starting to get a headache from the cold, and the cats didn't look too comfortable, either. Normally it gets warm in the house during the day if the sun is out, but it got completely overcast, so no help from the sun, either. The thermometer next to the door was showing 50F... brrr..........

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

Sheila I uploaded a kitty video of mine, and all the "related stock videos" that come up under it are yours, except for one, and that's another one of mine...LOL!!!

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1062637855-blue-white-tuxedo-cat-playing-orange-ball

Too cute! I am not allowed (under the agreement for fostering) to take any of the little guys outside so all of my videos are quite staged. Most of them off the wall, but many do sell. And they're fun to create.

And 50F is definitely too cold for inside! Poor kitties. I'm sure they're loving the fire going. It's chilly here, but not quite that cold. I took time today to trim back and top the peach tree. Wasn't really thinking when I planted it where I did as it keeps growing through the power line from the main line to the house, so I try to keep it just shorter than the line running to the house. But when the new growth hits, it just explodes in new branches. We could fill the green waste bin twice with what I cut off. Still need to trim the smaller palm tree too but not today. that one is a massive PITA and when I get poked with the little spikes on the branches, the puncture areas swell up pretty bad. Never fails that I'll get stabbed by the darn things too no matter how careful I am (gloves, long sleeves, using longer branch cutter vs the hand pruner). The other advantage of pruning back the peach tree is more sun will get to the center island planter for a longer period of time during the day too. Which I'm sure those plants will appreciate.

Wendy, we have three bins for garbage pick up. Recycle, Green Waste and regular trash. The tree cuttings I put all in the green waste. I don't really have the space to do composting. My MIL used to do it and everything from the kitchen went into the composter too at her house.

3 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Wendy, we have three bins for garbage pick up. Recycle, Green Waste and regular trash. The tree cuttings I put all in the green waste. I don't really have the space to do composting. My MIL used to do it and everything from the kitchen went into the composter too at her house.

a composter should not have to take up much space .... there are heaps of different ones around .... it was just a thought

our kitchen waste does not get time to compost as the wild animals love it lol!

I don't think there's ever been a time when I was digging in my flower beds and didn't manage to stab myself in the rose bushes. Those holes are painful, too. Even gloves don't help when you jam your hand forcefully enough when pulling something else out. Ughh.

Yeah if I had a compost I know raccoons / skunks /possums / rats / coyotes / crows would be in it, full time.

25 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

Yeah if I had a compost I know raccoons / skunks /possums / rats / coyotes / crows would be in it, full time.

We have a compost heap for more than 40 years, which also collects all our food waste. Sometimes a crow. Never have raccoons / skunks / possums / rats / coyotes   (You can take nice pictures of those animals for Shutterstock)  😁

All schools where I worked had compost bins. A surprising amount went into that.

composthoop.jpg

Hi folks! :)
I recently had to get rid of my composting bin. We've had loads of rats this year, I don't put food waste in it so as not to encourage them, but now the weather has gone cold the rats where using it to burrow into and set up home. Bet it was toasty warm! Anyway to get rid of the rats I had to get rid of the compost.

Wendy, those stick insects are amazing!

Yeah, I'm not eager having those critters invited to what would be a nice dinner table too close to the house. We will have them around anyway, but having a constant source of food near the house for them is a bad idea. Raccoons carry diseases, skunks will spray the dogs, rats are just not welcome near any buildings, and coyotes run through here quite enough without giving them extra snacks.

Sari, roses are definitely painful to work around too. Haven't had any of those since we moved away from Riverside because I couldn't get rid of the powdery mildew and black mold that kept infecting them down there. Not sure why it was so bad either because Riverside is much more dry than Orange County is. I'd think it'd be worse where the moisture levels are higher. I've got issues on the lantana here because of the moisture too. They cleared up fairly well for the summer after using the neem oil for a few months, but now I'm back to needing to use the neem oil as the black spots are all returning :( 

We had rats and mice the first year we lived here. My neighbor even commented on how she hasn't seen any in several years and I told her my cats were catching them and bringing them in to me. They're pretty good hunters so they clear the place out and the rest seem to have relocated (which is fine by me) but I'd be afraid a composter would open the door for them to come back. We had issues with them nesting in be BBQ in So Cal as well. I'm guessing they were using the wood piles next to the outside fireplace here when we moved in to nest in. The cats seem to have excavated the wood piles (there are two of them). They have access holes into the space behind them now and I'm guessing that's where Ariel gets so dirty. Jasmine is mostly black, so dirt doesn't show up as much on her. We just notice it when she lays on blankets or towels for any length of time. LOL. At any rate, I think composting is a good thing and I support the idea. Just not really practical for me here.

Hey Linda! Nice to see you.

Linda - or some sort of terrier, or other very quick dog.

Bob has helped me kill rats before.... she's so frikkin' smart I can use her for almost anything :P

Sheila - some of the mildews on flowers come from air circulation problems. My flowerbeds are notorious about having too many plants in too small a space, and that's when I notice more mildew problems, as airflow can't get through there. Also, it's important to water the plants so that they have plenty of time to dry before evening, best time is in the morning so the sun can dry the water off.

We're supposed to get some thunderstorms in a couple of hours, I guess we'll see if that holds. Haven't had any in a long time!

Linda, not sure how your ducks would feel about a cat. 

Sari, I don't think air circulation is an issue for mine as it's the only plant that grows over a few inches in that garden section. Other than the trees, but those are just the trunk since all the branches are up high. I read that when watering one is supposed to try and only water the ground not spray the leaves and that's supposed to help. I've only had the lantana there for almost 2 years. the first year I didn't see any issues, but this second year it's been insane. I cut back more than half of the growth a few weeks ago and will be spraying every few weeks so the new growth hopefully won't be affected. Not as many birds and butterflies to worry about on the flowers (although we still have hummingbirds). It's hard to just spray the leaves and not get some on the flowers.

Hope everyone that's celebrating has a good Thanksgiving. Tomorrow starts the prep work here. Things that need to set up like the holiday salad and cranberry sauce we do the day before. I bought a pumpkin pie already made but I'll make the apple pie from scratch.

Well, I killed the bird. over cooked it by about an hour. It was still edible, but definitely dry. I see lots of turkey rice soup in the future. The dog was happy. He got to have a decent serving. LOL. Everything is put away but my dtr bailed on her job of washing the dishes so the sink is piled pretty high. Probably a good stock photo op if I had the energy for it.