The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Sari yes, the book lungs are directly underneath. And I admit that there was a bit more water in that jar lid than usual. However, it is an extremely shallow jar lid. And it's also on a slight angle / slope. The spider would probably have no trouble getting out of there if it wanted to. In actual fact, the spider was half out of the water dish when it was found dead. So it was mobile enough to reach that position through it's own movement. Hence it would have been able to move completely out of the lid if it wanted to. And obviously, the first point of contact with that jar lid would have been the spider's legs. After stepping into the jar lid with the first foot steps, I assume that the spider would have realised how deep the water was and would have averted danger if there was too much water in there (then again, that may be me overthinking their 'intelligence.')

In the past, I found some interesting advice on the Arachnoboards forum. Apparently, if you have a spider that is near death, you can place it in a shallow dish of water (with the legs below and eyes on top.) And supposedly, this can work in some situations to restore the spider's health. Though I admit this does seem to defy logic in that the book lungs are located directly underneath (one might think that they would drown.)

I really regret not photographing this spider when it was alive (that was the plan.) Though it would have been tricky to capture because of the terrain in the enclosure. I should have photographed it soon after I caught it initially with a jar. I did take some photographs of it after it was deceased. I still don't know the species, genus or family. I'm about 98% certain that it's some kind of Mygalomorph. Though now that I have some photographs, I should be able to get it identified.

During the photography yesterday, I was utilising a focusing aid feature on my Panasonic G6 where it digitally zooms into the picture, allowing more accurate focusing with my macro lens. And that's  when I noticed some movement on the spider. It looked like some kind of bug or something. It was extremely tiny. Hard to tell if it was just on the surface or burrowing out of the spider's skin. Possibly a parasite or something. 

• Replies 46.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

Sari, the reviews are very inconsistent. I get clips rejected for noise, dust, what ever when a clip from the same shoot same settings same everything is accepted. I resubmit the rejected footage and

Posted Images

Patrick - yeah, spiders do get parasites. Around here, usually a spider wasp first paralyses the spider and then lays an egg in it, so the growing larva eats the spider from inside out while it's alive. Typically they take the spider into their nest first, though.

The days are getting so short! It's only 4pm and it's clearly evening, the sun is low and shadows are long. Ugh! I guess the upside is that in another five weeks or so the days start getting longer again....

I scored another new-to-me bird species today; I was testing my GoPro motion detection feature at the bird bath, and a Red-Breasted Nuthatch came to drink. I've seen (and shot) the White-Breasted Nuthatches before, but apparently the clearly smaller Red-Breasted ones are here only for winter, as the White-Breasted ones are here year around.

Sheila - the most typical summer and winter sky here is clear blue skies. In spring and fall there are more clouds as the weather is more unpredictable.

Cool on the life bird (which is what they call it when you see a new species of bird for the first time). We normally have days with a lot of haze in the summer, but autumn and spring we tend to have more blue skies with white puffy clouds. Winter is a toss up depending on the weather. Being right next to the coast, we still tend to have a lot of clouds with that being a heavy marine layer for the first half of the day. Took the youngest with me so she could manage the dog while we went to shoot at the beach and Sebastian totally does not like the water. Due to high tide, there was no beach but the water was also breaking over the sea wall and the stairs were flooding. It was impressive video and a few photos but the poor dog was shaking he was so scared of all the water.

Aaaah, our dogs, especially Bob, would LOVE to get to some good water to play and run in!

Marshall doesn't like baths, but any other water is fine...LOL. He doesn't even hate rain anymore, like he did when he was little.

Bob is a water monster, she looooves it.

No big waves here, ever :P

I have a little Oklahoma bird field guide, and I usually put a dog ear on every page that has a bird that I've seen. My goal is to have every page dog-eared :P (It has one species per opening, so if there's a dog ear on every page it covers all and doesn't miss anything )

LOL. Yeah, Sebastian is a bit of a wimp. In all fairness, the ocean can be quite loud. We are experiencing a King Tide event today and tomorrow so the waves are higher because the tide is up to almost 7 feet. They've been trying to improve the barriers along the coast but some areas get flooding still when the tides are elevated like this. I took some video and got a 7 second clip where the wave came in and flooded the stairway down to the beach and washed over the top of my camera. Fortunately, I was using a camera that's water resistant 

5 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Patrick - yeah, spiders do get parasites.

Spiders can have all sorts of parasites. Over on the Arachnoboards forums a number of years ago, someone had found a crab spider that had a massively long parasite inside it. They took a photograph of the deceased spider with the parasite beside it and it was amazing that something so big and long could fit inside the spider

5 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Around here, usually a spider wasp first paralyses the spider and then lays an egg in it, so the growing larva eats the spider from inside out while it's alive. Typically they take the spider into their nest first, though.

Yea Ive observed that a few times. I usually notice that the wasps that hunt spiders nearly always target relatively large spiders like wolf spiders, huntsmans and tarantulas though there may be some exceptions. Ive seen a wasp chasing after a wolf spider and the wolfie was running for it's life. I was close by, watching the action, and the wolf spider climbed up me to get away from it's pursuer.

And in the sheep yards over on the farm, I came across a huntsman that had been stung by a wasp. The hunstman was in a paralysed state and the wasp was nearby, digging a hole in the dirt. It was likely digging a hole to dump the huntsman in after laying the eggs. The way the wasp was digging was just like how a dog digs - sending excess dirt out backwards between it's hind legs. 

And back in the 1980s over on a place in South Australia called the Coorong, I saw a wasp dragging a paralysed huntsman up a sandhill. I was quite an effort. A number of times, the wasp would drag it uphill and then roll down again and then make another attempt. 

And according to a documentary I saw, tarantula hawk wasps will use the tarantula's own burrow to stash the spider. Very interesting. 

By the way, I heard that the tarantula hawk wasp has one of the most painful stings of all stinging insects. I remember Coyote Peterson trying his luck with one. 

We were supposed to start getting rain around midnight but we are getting strong winds instead and it looks like the rain is rolling in with it. A good day to stay inside and bake cookies (not that I need to eat any but I'm sending holiday packages to the girls early this year so I don't have to worry about postal delays). Found one more tiny caterpillar the other day and am sacrificing seedling plants to that. It's much easier than having to put leaves in there 2-3x/day but not sure I have enough plants I'm willing to sacrifice so it'll probably have to switch to the picked leaves before it is mature. We are doing a huge thanksgiving dinner menu here just for the four of us so we'll be eating turkey until Christmas it sounds like (my husband said if we don't have a turkey he's outta here so I got one). Smallest turkey I could find was 10 lbs. I see lots of turkey sandwiches and turkey rice stew in the future. Hopefully I'll be able to get some photo shoots out of it. Usually I'm so tired after all the prep that I don't bother with shooting it all.

1 hour ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Hopefully I'll be able to get some photo shoots out of it. Usually I'm so tired after all the prep that I don't bother with shooting it all.

Sounds like you need to put the rest of the crew to work, to

a) teach them how it's done

b) to ease your own work load

I had to google when TG is ( I know it's always towards the end of the month, but since there's so much talk about it, I figured they may have slapped it to this week, LOL) -- since next week will be my once-in-three-weeks grocery day, we might actually have something decent to eat instead of whatever happens to be left from the previous shopping trip...LOL

So I'm probably going to get some salmon and have my husband smoke it, it's our most fave meal.

You might want to shop this week instead of waiting until next week as there are likely to be fewer choices closer to TDay as people stock up for it. My husband told me to do most of the shopping Friday last week and I'll get the fresh fruits and veggies probably on Sunday or Monday so they'll be fresher. I'll start preparing probably Monday with the things that need to set up in the fridge and the pies. The cranberry sauce, my husband makes. I picked up cranberries friday too so he tossed them in the freezer because I wasn't really thinking about the fact that they'd go bad before then, but he makes his own cranberry sauce from scratch. I had my dtr sort of helping me with some baking today but I think she was mainly hoping to help eat the finished products. LOL. Since those are for a photo shoot first, she's not going to get to eat anything from that today.

I have some milkweed growing on my windowsill in the kitchen and some outside. One of the ones inside didn't survive so I transplanted one from outside and I thought I'd washed it up pretty good so there were no aphids etc on it and it was doing well for about a week. Then today I'm looking at them thinking that one seems to be shorter than it was. So I took a closer look and discovered a baby monarch caterpillar chomping away. Ugh. So I moved that plant into a smaller container and put the bug/plant together in there. So now I have two more caterpillars. I'm surprised they're still laying eggs here as it's starting to get colder and normally we'd have more rain too (it is actually raining finally too). I'm kind of running out of ideas for butterfly imagery too. Although now I know definitively which butterflies are males vs females. Can't tell with the caterpillars, but it's very obvious on the butterflies once one knows how to tell. My dtr was over my shoulder looking at images online and we both ID'd them. Most of the ones on google images seem to be male.

LOL Wendy. I'm sure he was saying it in jest but he also does help with the cooking/preparing too. He's a much better chef than I am. I'd rather bake. thanks. :D

Sari, yes. The scent glads are the black dots on the males. great images.

I've been watching season 4 of the Crown. The series is quite addictive. The actress who plays Margret Thatcher makes me really dislike that person. I guess she was not a very nice person (I'm not really much of a history buff so I've been learning a lot from limited series like this one). I realize it's not 100% factual, but follows the general timeline and events over all.

Edit to add: I feel like the review bots have taken the holidays off. If the reviews are automated, WTH are they taking so freaking long. It's downright frustrating.

The videos finally got reviewed. Took a few days. Here's one of the waves crashing up the stairs from the beach area. It was fairly impressive

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1062413128-4k-hd-video-water-crashing-sea-wall

And my dtr had to hold Sebastian as you can see he's not impressed with the big water.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1062413236-4k-hd-video-young-caucasian-female-wearing

14 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Male Monarchs have a spot along the one of the veins towards the bottom edge of the hind wing, like this

Wow - do you have expertise in butterflies, Sari? Can you verify this caption ..? Thanks in advance!

Two Banded Orange Heliconian butterfly with wings spread. In latin Dryadula Phaetusa. Lives in Brazil north through Central America to central Mexico.

1CEF9E8D-D25E-4BAC-9A31-B56199167DEA.jpeg

Hej, Ole -

yes, that does look like a Dryadula Phaetusa. I'm not really an expert to any extent at all, but I do know the species we have around the house fairly well, and have been lucky enough to shoot a large number of our native species.

The heliconians / longwings are typically tropical, and thus not native to my area. I typically only ever see them in other people's pics, so, not familiar with them.

Sheila - while I'm not a great friend of the sea (it's WAY too restless for me), I'd probably have fun for a few days shooting the splashing waves in all and any forms I could catch them. I saw a high speed pic of sea foam the other day and it was amazing

(I think this is the one, or similar  - Sea Foam )

Sebastian was clearly not very impressed, though :D

Did you get the other one with your GoPro? If yes, you should try to shoot it with the highest fps you have on it, and then slow it down - also, get closer to action if possible. That would be awesome!

There was a fairly large stick insect on a post out on the deck the other day. The stick insect was in shadow and there was a pale blue midday sky in the background. This was a perfect opportunity to use off camera flash to fire into the shadow and at the same, intentionally underexpose the sky in the background to get a dramatic deep blue backdrop. So I started getting organized and began bringing my equipment on to the deck and choosing the right lens etc. Before I had everything setup, I noticed the stick insect was gone. And there was no sign of it nearby. It was in a highly visible position so I assume a bird must have got it. Unbelievable.

LOL, Patrick, it may have just hidden from you somewhere. Nothing like losing your critter before you can properly shoot it :P

I've had another 4 sales at Alamy this week, sadly between a couple of small sales and third through a distributor, I'm netting like 4% per sale on average on all. Ugh.

Oops, make that five sales, looks like I had another one today, another small one. That pulls the average even lower than five bucks.

Sari, I've never tried to shoot sea foam in the breaking waves. We normally don't get a lot of actual surf hitting the sand inside the bay, which is where I spend most of my time. It's a 30+ min drive (without traffic) to the actual ocean. And usually a toll bridge or two on the way. I have sea foam in resting state on top of the water. We get a lot of it.

sea-foam-created-by-agitation-260nw-3162

And no, I shot the stairway with my iPhone. I wasn't aware it was going to break that high as all of the other times it came in to flood the stairs, it just came up to where we were. Didn't actually crash on us. 

Sebastian doesn't even like bath time. He will run when he sees me pick up the hose to water out back. LOL. Poor puppy.

My sales are up the last two months on Alamy too. Surprising. If only the funds would clear there faster than they do. It'll likely be next year before I make my next payout because of waiting for the funds to clear.

Sheila did you glance at the pic in the link? That foam was like super fine, looked more like paint splashes than foam, no bubbles visible really. Like beaten down to as small/fine as it can be - that's what was so cool about it, and the high speed pic that made it so beautiful frozen in time.

And yeah, Alamy takes their sweet time in getting the payments charged and submitted to contributors. I have uncleared sales from July still waiting, and that's not even bad as long as they go.

Sari you are very knowledgeable on what you do know :) that sea foam image is awesome!

Sheila love the waves, poor pupper, wow your daughter sure has grown up, in my head I still had her as a little kid not a grown woman! We dont get proper wave action up here unless it is a cyclone and then it is not a real good time to be out there. As for sea foam, I went to the Gold Coast after a big storm, and the foam was so thick you could lose a car in it. It was crazy because people were swimming in it, there was no telling what was in the water, so it was very dangerous.

Alamy sounds like the elevator is going down to the ground floor :(

Patrick have you ever watched the David Attenborough "the making of ,,," shows? They showed how difficult and fascinating it was to get the footage of the insects ... well worth the watch if you can get it. I had a stick insect in here last night ,,,, I was in the middle of cooking dinner so hubby was trying to coax it to go outside. No photos. It's wings were amazing as it was flying around!

Sari, there are many birds around here so there's a high chance that it was taken by one. And the stick insect was on that post for quite a while in the same position before it disappeared. 

Wendy, Ive never seen a stick insect fly before. That must have been quite a sight.

Sheila, that foam looks look quite thick. I remember shooting foam by the sea shore a number of years ago on medium format film. And when the local creek was running this year, there was quite a bit of foam in it.

Speaking of Alamy, I logged in just now and discovered I had made another two sales. And in terms of dollar value, they are my lowest yet. One of them is a personal use sale (my very first of those.) And yea Ive heard other people also getting a fair few low value sales there too lately. I actually wonder if it's really worth submitting to Alamy these days. Sales are rare as always and when they do happen, we're usually rewarded with low or average amounts. I wonder if the big sales are an extremely rare thing these days at Alamy. 

Sari, yeah, I saw that it was super fine and I agree it looks really cool. I only posted one of my images to show the kind of action we get. LOL. It sits like a slug. Maybe sloshes back and forth a bit, but no big wave action like that. Although I did see a bit of foam when we were shooting the other day, it wasn't doing anything except sitting outside the wave areas, so I didn't see any point in shooting it since I already have the close ups I have.

Thanks Wendy. Yes, they grow up very fast. She's 18 now so she can sign her own model releases. She doesn't like to model much but I told her with the mask and sunglasses, nobody is going to really know who she is anyway. OMG, that's a HUGE bug!

Patrick, I'm sure we get thicker gobs of it, but I don't spend a lot of time by the water, so I rarely notice it.

lol Sheila, that is not the biggest. We have the Goliath Stick insect here

425e02189dd0a24f6987f9884f7e2277.jpg

The females can reach lengths of up to 25 centimetres (9.8 in).  (that is the body not counting the antennae. 

This is one of mine where it is on a tent, you can see how small the male is compared to the female, it was probably about 8 inches long in the body.

closeup-stick-insects-mating-on-600w-130