The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I had six video sales on P5 for september, which makes that the most for a month there so far. Only one sale so far for October. My video sales on SS have picked up since the change in June. MOre of them regular sales vs the tiny sales. Still waiting to see if the other shoe drops though.

Sari, good work getting all the wood cleaned up. It's cold here today too. Windy, but not as bad as we were expecting. But I still turned on the heater for the first time of the season today. It's in the low 60's in the house and that's just too cold for me. Once I get it up to a normal temp closer to 70, then I can turn it back off as it usually doesn't cool down quickly inside if the windows are closed. Plus I don't want the room the kittens are in to be too cold. The orphan group, we are down to one left. The tiny guy apparently died shortly after i took him back to the shelter (I knew he wasn't doing well, but hoped it wasn't that bad) and yesterday the other little guy took a dive medically. Stopped eating and just started becoming lethargic. So I took him back in yesterday to be assessed and left him with them. So I just have the one bigger kitten left and I think he should do well (if there isn't some kind of infection they're all fighting). I was doing so well in success rate with the fostering that when they don't do well, it's devastating. 

I find torties tend to be more timid initially, but then bond very strongly once they feel safe and secure with a person. Hopefully she found a safe place to hide out in. With all the wildlife you have in the area, definitely not safe for a house kitten running around without shelter. feral or not.

• Replies 45.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sari ONeal

• Barry Blackburn

• KellyNelson

• Wendy Townrow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm fine here, thankyou for asking. Penneshaw (where I am) is safe and unaffected. But this is an incredibly grim situation. It sounds like just about half of the island is on fire. Annie, I only hear

I just feel like they ripped my whole identity away with this. Ten years ago in June in submitted my first pics to SS, and that started me on the stock trail. There's absolutely NO incentive to u

So humid hear my glasses fog no matter what I do, mask or not. 

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

MOre of them regular sales vs the tiny sales

I'm getting mostly the tiny, or very small video sales, between 34 cents and a couple of dollars. One today for $1.99.

27 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I was doing so well in success rate with the fostering that when they don't do well, it's devastating. 

Sometimes it just goes that way, and there's nothing you can do, as you're already doing the best you can. It hurts and it's sad as heck, but it's not your fault. Just try to help the others you get again later on.

We're at 33F now (wind chill 24F), and the freezing area is approaching. I hope it doesn't make it here, but it probably will. We've already had an inch and a half of rain this morning, too, and there's more on the way.

I've had 11 video sales so far this month and 7 of those were for >$20 each. The rest were the smaller ones so I guess that's actually only just over 50%, so not as good a ratio as I had thought. But I also have more in sales than the same month last year so still a positive thing (for me anyway) And I actually had an EL today for just over $30. That's definitely a rare thing. I figured it was an SOD, but when I looked, it was actually an EL. Sales are up on Adobe this month too. Still only 1/3 of what I had here, but it's significant increase for what I normally have there. Not looking forward to the crash and burn come Jan 1.

As for the kittens, yeah. the vet called me (I thought she was calling about the kitten I had called her about but it was to schedule vaccinations for the ones we still have) and we talked about it a bit. I can't recall what she said she thought it was but said there was nothing I could have done to prevent it. They seem fine and then over the course of 12 hours just crash, total FTT (failure to thrive). By what she said, I'm guessing the second one died too. I didn't specifically ask and she didn't volunteer the information :(  The little guy who is left from that litter is a spitfire. He loves to play. If only I could get him to use the litter box consistently, I could let him out of the playpen more. Still working on the potty training. He likes chasing feather dusters and will jump sideways on all fours with his fur all puffed up like he'd stuck himself in a light socket. It's pretty funny to watch.

Heres one of the photos I got of the two. The one on the left is the one that died yesterday. The one on the right is the only one left.

two-scruffy-kittens-peaking-out-600w-183

Steve and Sheila, it sounds like you're both on a good roll with video sales. 

Sari, those sales will come eventually on Pond 5. It took many months before I had my first sale on P5. I also have a small video port there and I get the occasional sale once in a while. I am working towards increasing the size of my port.

Regarding video sales on AS, I have never had any. And Ive been submitting content to AS for much longer - a few years in fact. I do sell photos there.

By the way, there are many documentaries I watch which include Pond 5 in the credits so they certainly seem to a significant player in the stock footage arena.

I've had a total of three video sales this month, for a grand total of $4. :(

The little tortie kitty showed her face again this morning. I hadn't seen her at all since she ate on Sunday afternoon. We were getting freezing rain while I was feeding the horses this morning, and afterwards I went to the back porch to put out some bird seeds for hungry and cold little birds, and the tortie was under the house, screaming at me through a vent. I went in the house and got a big bowl of cat food, and offered her the food through another vent that's not closed up. She came running, and after a little apprehension, she came outside through the vent, and ate all the food while I was waiting right there. I petted her carefully, trying not to scare her, and she had no objections to that. After she had eaten, she went back under the house, turned, looked at me and hissed at me, to make sure I get no ideas of being friends with her 😄

I will check on her in the evening when it's time to feed everyone else again, maybe she'll stay under the house where it's at least dry, and not quite as cold as it is out in the wind.

Poor baby!

That's just a little tortitude gratitude. LOL. torties are like that. Hopefully she stays warm under there. You could probably put a little box with some old towels or something in there too so she has a warmer place to hide til she gets more used to everyone. Bummer on the poor video sales. That is definitely depressing. I hope they pick up for you. I had one of my 4K butterfly videos sell this morning, but most of my sales are editorial. Maybe that's why I'm getting more for them? The 4K footage was for $20 my share, which isn't great for 4k, but it's definitely better than <$1

Did some photo sessions with the surviving orphan this morning. He peed on my studio table, but over all, it was a successful session. He really hates the litter box for some reason.

I'm going out to feed in a few minutes and I'll check if she's still under the house / take her some food if she comes to get it again.

I have a box on the front porch that has a bed made into it for a cat - the blue kitty has been napping in it, but she's in the tack room right now where it's warm with a heat lamp and a heated bed. It's warmer under the house, however, than on the front porch, so I need to see if I can get something down there for her.

So far we've been lucky with the freezing rain - it got warm enough where it as all melted away, but people out  west haven't been so lucky - lots of tree damage on top of power lines, and almost 320K households without power.

poweroutages10272020.JPG

The tortie came to eat last night, and I fixed her a nice bed to sleep in right next to the food. I don't know, however, if she chose to sleep in it or not.

This morning she came to eat again, hissing at me, but still let me pet her while she was eating. It's cute how stand-offish she's trying to play :P

The rain continues, as does the cold. My hands are dry and cracking from washing buckets outdoors in near freezing temps. It's too early in season to start with messed up hands, but what can you do.

The number of households without power out west has climbed to 368K. It went down to under 300K yesterday evening, but has since bounced up higher. We're SO lucky to be on the warmer side of the freezing line!!!

poweroutages10282020.jpg

I was surprised to see California is showing up on your power outages map. The outages here are primarily PSPS from the fires. The one in So Cal is not far from my second daughter, but she’s still not in the evacuation zone. It has to jump a major freeway before she’s in danger from that (fortunately). Many of our friends have been evacuated from their homes in the Irvine foothills though. Hopefully they have a better handle on it there. I think the PSPS in Nor Cal where we are are resolved since those were proactive due to high winds as well, and the winds are pretty much gone here. Not sure what it’s like in the higher elevations and up north closer to Napa. they tend to get worse winds and fires due to the wide open spaces, or urban sprawl into the wilderness areas.  Sounds like the tortie kitty might be deciding to call your place home if she’s coming back for food several days in a row. She picked a good spot :D  The momma cat here went back to the shelter today. The kittens should be eating solid foods, but they refuse because why should they if they can demand to nurse? So I have her two kittens (who are just over 1 lb) and the surviving orphan (who is just under 1 lb, but doing quite well). The two kittens are still not interested in eating food, but it’s only been a few hours since mom was left at the shelter. She’s been going high on surfaces in the room they’re in to get away from the kittens anyway, so she’s more than ready to be done I’m sure. Need to get them to follow a feather or string or something so I can get their attention to do some photos. Those two are clueless in the studio. They look everywhere but where I”m trying to get them to look. The fluffy kitten loves the feather duster so at least I can get her attention with that (got verification of gender on her so now we can refer to her correctly).

Oh, and my butterfly collection has expanded to 5 monarchs. Two pulpated  today and three are probably 2nd instar so still awhile to go for them. I keep finding more of the smaller caterpillars on the remaining milkweed. A monarch looked like it was laying eggs on the baby plants I am working on growing, so hopefully they don’t kill that before I can get it well established. I don’t have seeds to replant more of the thin leaf variety yet. It needs to mature at least once first.

Here's another nature themed board game - Wingspan. This one focuses on birds. There's some really beautiful artwork on the cards. And people who've played it are saying that it's a good game.

And recently, Ive come up with an idea for another board game which I plan to create soon. There's a category among contemporary board games known as cooperative games. With the majority of board games, the players are competing against each other. However, with cooperative games, the players are working together as a team to defeat whatever the game throws at them. And my new game will be a cooperative one with a bit of a science theme. I'll make a physical copy of the game soon and do some play testing. 

Sheila I'm pretty sure the tortie hasn't gone anywhere from under the house 😮 The weather has been horrible, and she would have gotten soaked and cold if she got out. I hope she eventually comes out when it gets warmer and dry.

Looks like in addition to our ice storm, hurricane Zeta is causing widespread power outages as it's passing through Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama.

Patrick the bird on the cover of that looks like one of my fave birds, The Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. Their range is only a handful of states here, to north, south and east.

I just watched a documentary of the Australian Bushfire Rescue, and they showed Kangaroo Island, too, among other things. I still feel so bad for all those animals :(

Sari, that Flycatcher is a very attractive bird indeed.

Yes it's crazy how devastating the Australian bush fires were. So many animals lost. Some animals going extinct. I wouldn't be surprised if some of our unique and native tarantula species are gone forever. 

And yes so much of Kangaroo Island was impacted. It really was insane. 

Sari you had 33F, we had 36C today and humid ... its seems to have got very hot early.

Sorry to hear about the kitties Sheila, well done with the butterflies though.

Well done on the video sales on P5 guys!

Patrick are you thinking of marketing the game when you are done?

Wendy yes, if it gets to the point where people who play the game are fully satisfied with it, I would like to get it published and have it available for sale. Though I expect there will be a number of changes before it gets to the stage where I feel it's good enough. 

Though when it comes to publishing a board game, there appear to be two main options available. One option is submitting the game to an established board game company to publish it for you. If they accept it and deem it worthy enough, they may request some changes to it. And I guess depending on the arrangement / contract, you may receive a royalty from the sales. And a nice thing about going that route is the company would handle the distribution, marketing and getting the game on to the shelves of shops.

The other option is self publishing in which you would receive the full profit from sales of the game. Though there is an absolutely massive amount of work involved. There are a number of small companies these days who get the funds to publish their board games on Kickstarter. Actually, that game Wingspan which I mentioned above was published by Stonemaier Games. The owner of that particular company is very open about what is involved in the publishing of a board game. He says there are 500 steps in the process.

6 hours ago, Wendy Townrow said:

Sari you had 33F, we had 36C today and humid ... its seems to have got very hot early.

Yeah, and just the previous day before it turned cold it was right at 86F (30C), so the drop was stupid steep.

Yesterday while watching that documentary I just kept thinking "I sure as hell hope that this year doesn't get equally bad for Aussies with the fires" - I hope your early hot temps (didn't you get that last year, too?) are not indicative of what's coming :(

Patrick, yes, it is a very pretty bird, and it's easy to spot with that super long tail! :D

The power outage map has added lot of color...  hurricane Zeta is responsible for turning the entire southeast red --

https://poweroutage.us/

poweroutage10292020.thumb.JPG.2a467ce80e74abb6186259dd250160de.JPG

Georgia has almost 900K households without power, which is the most so far.

Oklahoma hasn't been able to knock the number down from over 300K in several days.

We're supposed to get rain till about noon, and after that it should start clearing up. Tonight is still cold at just below freezing (and freezing fog!), but tomorrow should be about 60F (15C).

Sari, that long tail is kind of surreal!

Wendy, oh yea I think it will take some time for my game to properly develop. Maybe I can introduce some other ideas later on. The guy who runs Stonemaier Games says that when play tests one of his own games for the very first time, it won't be that great for all involved. Interestingly, he says that after many changes, when he has created a decent playable version, he attends special events where strangers / game enthusiasts get to play his game in a public setting. Sounds like a great way to get feedback from people trying out the game for the first time (before it gets officially published.) 

Patrick - yes, the tail is impressively long, and makes IDing the bird very easy :D

Got my 4th sale at Alamy in the last 10 days - one was small but the rest are medium sized, none are the big huge ones that you really want to see :P

I also saw one of my pics from Alamy in a news website article (just published) the other day, and I haven't seen a sale for it, so if one doesn't come in sometime later I need to ask them about it. Of course, that wouldn't be a big sale, anyway, but one of the small ones.

Looks like the rain has finally stopped, time to go turn the horses out. I bet they'll be more than happy to stretch their legs! 😮

I've been disappointed to see some $1 and $2 sales on Alamy. Must be a new subscription rate they have started this year as well. Sales there are sporatic for me. Then it takes forever for them to clear. Apparently, I'm doing much better on P5 this year as I got an email that I need to submit a W-9. I thought I had submitted all tax forms, but went ahead and filled out another one. 

Hope you get a break in the weather there Sari. I'm sure you can use the rain though too.

Sheila - the rain was awesome, it was just too frikkin' cold to have rain! It would have been much more beneficial to have that 3" spread out to August and September in 1" doses instead of getting that much when it's super cold, within a few days.

No rain in sight now (although I'd like to see some moderate rain every now and then), and the temps are supposed to climb up to high 50s and 60s. Beats 34F with wind for sure.

The horses loved getting out. The two oldest got put in the barn on Sunday, and the three others on Monday afternoon, so they've been stuck indoors for much longer than usual. Normally the cold and rain clears out in a day or two.

The barn is kind of boring for horses used to roaming where ever they want when ever they want. I'm sure they're quite happy to be out free again.

I decided to socialize the orphan kitten with the other two to see how they did. So far so good. They're teaching her how to groom and use the littler box (she actually used the box to poop without being put in there for the first time a few minutes ago, where as she normally just squats and goes where ever she is). And she's much happier with being able to play. The pair (one boy and one girl), the girl is very active and wants to play agressively, where as the boy is more layed back and doesn't want to be that active so having the orphan in there also gives her a playmate with the same general temperment and desire to play. It's funny to watch them bounce around and chase after each other. And the orphan is cleaner than she's ever been on her own, so either they're helping her with grooming, or she's doing a much better job on her own. When I first brought her in there, the male kept trying to find a place to nurse. She has a lot longer fur than the mom did so not sure why he figured there was, but he finally gave up doing that it seems. Still having to force the first bite of food with the two, but then they'll eat off a spoon. Still not able to get them to eat out of the bowl directly, but it's only the first day. As long as they're eating something and drinking, I'm not too concerned. Just means I have to feed them every few hours to be sure they are getting a decent amt. So glad the little orphan is now eating on her own so I only have to work with two of them.

Sari I am not sure what the fire season will being, we still have people living in tents and no utilities from the last fires. I notice that we have fires in the rainforest burning here, I am just hoping the dont come near us or we are screwed ... we have a timber house in the forest  .... fires were not something we ever anticipated for the rainforest. The forest when I look out is very thin and dry.
The power outages are not good ...
Bummer on the rain and freezing temps ...

Patrick I have seen the games conventions, they look like fun if you are into games like that. I went to a financial group where we played games specifically designed for investors, that was interesting that is for sure. I also played a game about tracing family history. I was not very good at either game lol!

Sheila, your kittens do sound like a challenge, glad the 3 are working out, I dont think I would have the patience to care for wee ones like that!

Wendy, some days are exhausting. But when I have a few days of decent studio work, it makes up for it IMO. Not huge stock sellers, but still fun to create.

We are still expecting at least another month of fire season here if not two. The winters have been so dry it wouldn't be unheard of to have fires into December. last year we had the last big fires (I believe) in November then mudslides with the torrential rains that came in December in So Cal. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Sheila  - yeah, horses are meant to move around all the time, which they do out in the pasture. They eat, they walk off to nap somewhere, then they walk around nibbling on grass (not really eating, just kinda browsing), then they go eat again (like, if they have hay, they may leave it for nibbling instead, and go back to eating when they feel like it's time to actually eat), then it's nap time again. In the barn, they just stand around and get bored.

Cats learn a lot of things by just watching, so it's good if you can have them together for those lessons :D

I can tell just from my cats which ones learned behaviors from a certain cat. One of them may do something that no-one else does, but after observing that one, another one starts doing the same.

Wendy I'm crossing my fingers and arms all the way to my shoulders for you not to get anything like last year, that was plenty enough and far too much.