Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Very impressive butterfly images, Sheila. I like the white background. Have you got yourself a macro lens in recent times?

Going back to board games, I now realise that the games produced nowadays are more advanced than the ones I played in the 80s. There's definitely a kind of evolution with board games with a lot of innovative ideas with the contemporary ones. I was surprised to find out recently that rolling a die for movement is frowned upon these days among gamers and is not a common feature anymore. Though this is what I'm used to with the 80s board games (for me, rolling a die for movement is normal.) It also seems that people who play board games these days are more demanding and expect more from a game. The board games we had in the 80s seem rather simplistic by comparison. As a result, Ive had to make some changes to the board game I'm designing. And I'll probably have to make other changes too as time goes on.

Yeah, the Tiger Swallowtails are named like that for a reason - and the Old World ones don't look like that, so NOT Tigers :P

Speaking of butterflies, I had a record number of "zooms" at Alamy yesterday (haven't checked today yet), and apparently somebody is on a lookout for a LOT of butterflies. I hope some of those lead to some decent sales.

Patrick, no. No macro lens. Just using my 24-120mm 1.4 lens, which is what I use for pretty much all my studio shots. I'm just a the minimum focal distance (or as close as possible anyway) so I can get as close as possible. Plus, the Nikon D800 and D810 (which are the two bodies I use) has 36mp, so I can always crop to get in a bit closer and still have plenty of mp for a decent sized image.

Sari, how can you tell if you have people zooming in to look at images? I've never noticed that information on Alamy. I tend to only upload there about once a month or so so the butterfly images aren't up there yet. Just uploaded them this morning after seeing your post. Prob won't make much of a difference since their review process is never very quick. I've only made 6 sales there in the last three months. Not a big selling site. Some of the sale there are quite decent though. Although I had a huge SOD here yesterday for just over $80. That was a nice unicorn. And a couple of video sales that were NOT the tiny ones (not huge, but still decent). So yesterday may have set a new record for BDE. Longing for more of those sales now :) 

Haha, I keep forgetting that Alamy takes video, too, I've never submitted any videos there, so I might be losing out on some sales... or maybe not :P

Anyway - to see the zooms, go to your landing page,

go down where the Alamy measures are, and on the left there's a button for "your images"; click on that

it takes you to a summary page that has "your sales", "your views" and "your zooms" -> click on the number under "your zooms" and you get all the pics that clients have zoomed in on to take a closer look

ALSO, to refine on that - if you click on your name on the summary page, it gives you a list of search terms clients have used that brought up your pics, and the important part in that table is where it says "your zooms"  - and on the right side "total zooms" -- if your zooms are for example 2, and total zooms are also 2, then they only zoomed into your pics with that search term. Sometimes that indicates you just might have a sale coming sometime later (of course, not for sure, but apparently they thought those were the best pics in the selection).

If you click on the number under "your zooms", again, you get the images that they zoomed in on with that search term.

You can go down the list (if there's a zero, then no use, they didn't look at your pic) and see how many zooms you got out of total zooms for a particular search term. It REALLY doesn't tell you more than that, but it MIGHT predict a sale, just a fun thing to look at every once in a while.

So you don't think you upload pics there often? :D  My last submission before this morning was in May, and before that in January. My normal rate is about that, or less often :P

Thanks. I’ll have to check that feature out. They redid their pages a month or so ago and took forever for me to figure out how to get back to my landing page. I probably upload about every 4-6 weeks, so I guess you have me beat on that in terms of procrastinating. LOL. I get sales there so infrequently, it doesn’t seem worth the hassle most of the time.

DT OTOH, I just made payout there for the third time this year, so they are picking up (albeit slowly). Hoping to get that one to make payout monthly soon too. Still not there yet. And BS is going down the drain. I used to make payout monthly there, but now it’s about every other month, esp since it takes so long for funds to clear after a sale. You’d think they’d be more proactive about their billing dept.

I'm pretty sure the SS peeps are gradually shutting BS down, and redirecting the sales here. BS was my 2nd best site when I first got there, and now the sales are very rare.

And yeah, I'm the master of procrastination :P

It's been equally long since I uploaded pics to DT and AS, I typically do all those about the same time, which is always months after uploading the same stuff to SS. Now with SS doing their deed to lower the pay, I didn't upload anything here for months, so all those others were waiting for me to upload the stuff from before that happened.

But yeah, I uploaded to all of them today, finally. It helps that we're testing out a different internet provider, and my upload speed is 2 or 3 times faster than before. Still not super fast by a long shot, but it DOES make a difference with a big load of files, or videos.

Here's the "new kitty" --

stock-photo-beautiful-young-blue-and-whi

8 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

Haha, I keep forgetting that Alamy takes video, too, I've never submitted any videos there, so I might be losing out on some sales... or maybe not :P

I keep hearing that Alamy used to accept videos a very long time ago but not anymore. They still sell videos through Alamy but no longer accept video submissions.

And yes I'm the same with Alamy. Sales for me are so rare there that I don't really bother with submitting on a regular basis. I submit once in a while when I feel motivated. I made my third sale on Alamy last month which came as a big surprise. 

Beautiful looking cat, Sari and I like the photo too.

Interesting on the Alamy stats. I have 2819 views but only 7 zooms. I'm presuming the total views is lifetime and not one month? It says on the top from Sept 2020 to Oct 2020. That seems like a lot of views for an entire month with only about 5 sales for the month.

Sheila - the views add up quickly, it's like if someone makes a search and all the results show up on a page - that counts as a view, and only the zooms mean they actually looked at YOUR pic. So, don't even look at the view count, it doesn't tell you anything. If you want another measure, then use "your click through rate" - it's zooms from your views. If it's high, they liked what they saw.

If you're looking at the summary page that has your name, sales, views, zooms and CTR, they are all for the period that's just above the table - if you haven't punched in different values, right now the default is Sept 16 to Oct 15, so one month.

Very active little spider. Love the golden eyes on your new kitten.

I thought the last swallowtail would emerge today because the chrysalis started getting lighter yesterday, but apparently not. It's still the lighter shade of brown, but no butterfly as of yet. We have red flag warnings extended today too from high winds and heat. Autumn has officially begun. Had to blow off the driveway this morning from the huge pile of leaves the winds brought down. Only did a small area though as the wind is still blowing and kind of pointless to blow off leaves when more are falling. Still need to schedule a tree trimmer for the oak tree. I swear the number of seeds falling this year vs previous few years is more than twice as many. It's insane. I can't use the leaf blower because they are in such big piles that it's too heavy for the blower to handle, so I start with the blower then have to use a broom or rake, then go back to the blower to finish the job. Sheesh. I'm guessing the rain gutters are going to need attention too since the seeds aren't stopped by the mesh leaf guards.

Yeah, she has really orange-y eyes; they might fade out when she gets older.

She's a wild child, though - and I think she's picked out her name.... "kitty kitty"....LOL  I can say kitty kitty, and she comes zoooooming full speed from where ever she is. In addition, if I ask Bob "where is kitty kitty", she will run where the cat is to show me. So between those two, I think they settled on that one :P

Chances are, if she sticks around, she'll have enough nick names, too, so it's always a subject to change :D

She's hugely affectionate, and will get in your lap if you sit down.

Funny how the one cat looked at it and immediately took off since it knew what it belonged to. Probably was afraid the owner of the skin was still in close proximity.

Went to the women's march they had scheduled in the city today. Didn't look like it was going to be a very big turn out when I was at the staging area. Walked down to get an elevated location to shoot from when they started, so I left the staging area about 30 min before the march was supposed to start and there ended up being well over 500 people participating. Sorting through the video and images now.

Thanks, Deb, she's absolutely an awesome cat!

The other day we were playing with the dogs outside, throwing ball for them, and the kitteh was right there, going after the same balls :D

I did have my camera, but it was a cloudy evening and the sun was already low, so the light was inadequate. It was fun seeing her dash after the same ball a dog was going after, though :D:D

Also bonus points - despite having had cats of near all colors over the years - she's the first blue/white one I've ever had. I've had blue/cream/white before, and blue tabbies, but no solid blue without stripes :)

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

Thinking of you @Linda Bestwick as Wales will be going into lockdown 🙁 Just read that Halloween will be banned in Wales so I suggest you oil the broomstick and escape 🧙‍♀️

Thanks Deb, it's a nightmare, but I guess they need to try something. I'll be zooming Halloween and bombie night. Normally have a remembrance service with parade here too, doubt that will be going ahead either. Better go dig out the old broomstick!

Good looking kittie there Sari ❤️ 

I'm closing off our front porch for Halloween. We routinely have hundreds of kids trick or treating, and I'm just not wanting to deal with it this year. Bought the kids all buckets and they filled them with candy they want and that's their Halloween for this year. Plus my youngest will be 18 tomorrow, so we're having her socially distanced bday party this weekend. Got individual chip bags and some candy and I put up some garden stakes that I'll wrap string on and use cloths pins to clip all the bags of candy and chips up so people can pick what they want without touching any of the other bags. Just need to set up the drink area and then we'll have 6 chairs out there slightly over 6 feet apart so they can hang out and talk while they eat and they'll be wearing face masks when they play their card games, etc. The people are all in her social bubble anyway so they don't hang out with anyone else.

Have another set of orphan kittens and man are they messy. Pretty much no clue how to use a litter box and I was told they could eat on their own, but they swim in it more than they eat it, so we are having to syringe feed them every 3 hours or so during the day. they actually go all night. Finally starting two of them on solid slowly using a spoon so they'll actually eat, but the third one chokes on the solid chunks so he's still on the pureed stuff I put through a strainer. Just preparing the food is time consuming. Good thing I don't have any shifts scheduled for work the next few weeks.

Took one of the orphan kittens back to the shelter. Having a hard time getting it to eat and had to go back to just giving it straight formula for it to really eat anything and it was sleeping a lot and just not as energetic as it had been the first few days so I freaked out and decided it was best to have it be with someone who can do 1:1 (which just isn't possible here with as many as we have right now). Of course, the minute i get it all boxed up and in the car, it's trying to climb up the side of the box and meowing quite insistently like "hey, I'm strong! I'm active! Don't send me back!". Talk about guilt trip. But I have already had two kittens die that we've fostered in the past and I don't want to take that risk. He's significantly smaller than the siblings too.

And today is my youngest child's 18th birthday. She's spent the day sleeping. LOL. Priorities of a teenager.