Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

I have a horror of cars that dont require keys, especially the ones that dont need keys to lock the door. I heard of a lady trapped in one and she had no idea where the over ride was and another where the car locked a baby in with mum on the outside and no way to get in ... give me old fashioned keyed locks any day ....

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Patrick, I do slow down the shutterspeed and up the ISO, but on my Nikon, I can't slow the SS less than 60 fps. It won't let me.

Oh I thought you were referring to time lapse.

It's caterpillar mania. I was out working in my garden and found three western tiger swallowtail caterpillars in the parsley. One of them seems to be ready to enclose. I googled them and they take 2-3 weeks before they emerge, and will sometimes just hang out in there all winter and come out in the spring instead. So this could be quite interesting.

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

It's caterpillar mania. I was out working in my garden and found three western tiger swallowtail caterpillars in the parsley. One of them seems to be ready to enclose. I googled them and they take 2-3 weeks before they emerge, and will sometimes just hang out in there all winter and come out in the spring instead. So this could be quite interesting.

fascinating

5 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

found three western tiger swallowtail caterpillars in the parsley.

Surely you mean Black Swallowtails - Tigers (eastern or western) eat tree leaves, not parsley. Black Swallowtails eat parsley, dill, fennel and anything in the carrot family.

I haven't had any Black Swallowtails all year in my dills or parsleys until now, and I probably have dozens of tiny caterpillars. Luckily my parsley plants are huge at the moment, the dills all died already.

Last year I had huge amounts of Gulf Fritillaries right from spring, this year I have seen one female which laid eggs on one plant a few weeks back, but I never saw a single caterpillar, and the eggs are gone.

It does look like the black swallowtail caterpillars, however, I saw this butterfly laying eggs on the parsley and this is definitely a western tiger swallowtail. So I don't actually know for sure what the caterpillars are. I have three of them. One looks like it's going to create it's chrysalis (it climbed into a corner of the enclosure and hasn't moved in 12 hours). I guess I will know for sure when the butterflies emerge

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1058157586-4k-hd-video-tiger-swallowtail-butterfly-landing

It would be super weird if it laid eggs on that plant. That said, animals do unexpected things sometimes.

However, the late instar caterpillars should look completely different between the Black Swt and the Tiger Swt. The little ones (early instars) are somewhat alike in appearance.

The Tiger has a green caterpillar with "fake eyes" on the front, and they should turn orange just before pupation.

60cb0a.jpg

The Black has striped caterpillars, ours are black/ yellow/ white (or light green); these two are same age and same species, but different in their appearance.

two-fifth-instar-black-swallowtail-600w-

Its weird that I have never seen a black swallowtail. One has enclosed, one has been killed by the other one (I didn't realize they were so freaking territorial, but apparently, they become manic just before they enclose and will kill others and even eat them? Who knew. I googled it after I found the one dead :( The manic one is still manically looking for a place to enclose so I put it in a separate enclosure so as not to injure the one that has already enclosed. Once they're in their chrysalis, then I won't have to worry about them and I should be able to put all seven into the big enclosure until closer to when they'll emerge. At least that way if they emerge when I'm not paying attention, they won't be kitten play things flying around the house.

Charles, wow, sounds like you have been to some fabulous places and seen some fabulous sights!

Deb, haha, yeh I get to go to some fab places in my dreams! Never expected to be visiting SS HQ though! 
Lockdowns are getting more and more complicated, hope it's not to bad where you are. I'm still able to meet some people outside, but that's about it. I'm dreading them stopping that, which the way things are going at the mo is on the cards :( 
Thankfully we have our furries to keep us company, even if they are only visitors. Those kitties are cuties!

Sheila and Sari, totally loving the pics and info on the various instars, fascinating stuff.

47 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Lockdowns are getting more and more complicated, hope it's not to bad where you are. I'm still able to meet some people outside, but that's about it. I'm dreading them stopping that, which the way things are going at the mo is on the cards :( 
Thankfully we have our furries to keep us company, even if they are only visitors. Those kitties are cuties!

I live in the South East of England so not so bad here.  Just pubs etc closing at 10pm and the 'rule of 6' which is a nationwide thing.  I haven't been to restaurants or pubs since the beginning anyway.  The South East seems to be the least affected by C.  So sorry it's hard where you live.  I do suspect that a more severe general lockdown is on its way but I dearly hope that businesses will be allowed to stay open now as so many are collapsing.. It makes me sad every time I walk past a closed Laura Ashley shop as it's been around since I was little (and before I think).

Yes.  Our pets are wonderful.  My own cat is rather boring but she'll do for now 🐈

47 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I live in the South East of England so not so bad here.  Just pubs etc closing at 10pm and the 'rule of 6' which is a nationwide thing.  I haven't been to restaurants or pubs since the beginning anyway.  The South East seems to be the least affected by C.  So sorry it's hard where you live.  I do suspect that a more severe general lockdown is on its way but I dearly hope that businesses will be allowed to stay open now as so many are collapsing.. It makes me sad every time I walk past a closed Laura Ashley shop as it's been around since I was little (and before I think).

Yes.  Our pets are wonderful.  My own cat is rather boring but she'll do for now 🐈

I'm on the Zoe app and look at their maps, seems the south is a lot better than the north, no idea why. Hopefully it will stay that way for you. I know what you mean about the businesses, it must be so hard for many to keep going through this :( 

I've got too many pets LOL. Increased by about 50 this year when the three fish I rehomed last year had babies, oops, that was not intentional! The video is huge soz, linked from FB. The adults are about 10 inches and the fry when the hatched where the size of mosquito lava, teeny tiny. They are at the cute stage now :D 

Linda, cool footage. Reminds me of myself when I used to hand feed a crab in my aquarium years ago. I had no choice but to hand feed it because if I just dropped the food in, the greedy zebra fish would eat it all.

Deb, that was what I expected with mine. Thought the eggs would be eaten before they even hatched, but I had too many plants as hidey places so this is the result lol.
Patrick, I bet that was great feeding the crab by hand :D  Creatures are so trusting given half a change. Not sure I could feed spiders like Sari though LOL.

We've just been notified that we (counties in North Wales) are going into lockdown 6pm Thursday :(  

:( Sorry about the lockdown Linda. I hope you have enough supplies already. I'd be willing to bet the stores will be a madhouse.

The last monarch caterpillar failed on it's enclosing process. Not sure what the issue was. It attached, but it never did for a J. Just kind of hung there like a limp noodle, occationally wiggling around. But by this morning, it was pretty clear it had died. I do have 4 that enclosed and will hopefully progress to butterfly next week. The last swallowtail finally stopped moving frantically yesterday shortly after I had posted here. It's just hanging out in the same spot for the last day. The other one took about 2 days before I noticed it had enclosed, so I expect this one will do the same. the first one is on netting in the enclosure, so I can't move that to photograph, but this one is on a stick. so at least I'll be able to get some photos of the chrysalis once it's all done.

26 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Deb, that was what I expected with mine. Thought the eggs would be eaten before they even hatched, but I had too many plants as hidey places so this is the result lol.

We've just been notified that we (counties in North Wales) are going into lockdown 6pm Thursday :(  

I think our fish were bigger than fry actually. A bit smaller than yours but still eaten 🙁 So sorry about your lockdown 🙁 To take your mind off things

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-54340425

Sheila you sure are having an interesting experience with your butterflies.

Linda your fish sure are cute! Sorry to hear that you are in lock down :( This virus sure is disruptive to life :( We are starting to open up but I am still wary of going anywhere and we have been pretty safe here.

2 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Just kind of hung there like a limp noodle, occationally wiggling around. But by this morning, it was pretty clear it had died.

Did you check underneath it for anything unusual, white strings, maggots, anything that shouldn't be there?

The caterpillars infected by Tachinid flies pretty much do what you said; the larvae eat them on the inside, and then they break out from the caterpillar when it dies - they look like maggots. You should destroy them if you see them, and also the dead caterpillar if it's still housing the larva.

LOL Deb, I saw that on the news. That's parrots for you! Mine cheer me up no end, but thankfully no swearing 😂

Wendy, best to stay tucked away in the rain forest safe and sound. You are in the best place as far as I'm concerned!

1 minute ago, Linda Bestwick said:

LOL Deb, I saw that on the news. That's parrots for you! Mine cheer me up no end, but thankfully no swearing 😂

Wendy, best to stay tucked away in the rain forest safe and sound. You are in the best place as far as I'm concerned!

Linda I am counting my blessings that is for sure :)