Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Well looks like my whale photo opportunity won't be a fruitful one with the local magazine. When the magazine editor first approached me after the whale sighting, she said she would buy my photos without even seeing them. Though now, after viewing my images, she says she was hoping for clearer photos of the whale. Gosh, that is so vague! I admit I'm puzzled by that one.

My photos are in focus and clearly show a whale. And that whale fills most of the frame (magnified with a 600mm mirror lens.) Additionally, there were no obstructions blocking the view and no distractions within the frame. And there was no haze, fog or mist. I don't know how I was supposed to get a 'clearer' photo of the whale. 

To summarise, she is not interested in using my photos for her magazine. I am working on one more whale photo which I will submit to her soon but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. 

Oh and regarding those whale photos of mine, my brother wants to use one of the images for his website. He has a rental property overlooking the sea on Kangaroo Island and the website for the house features photos of the local area. Ive also shown the photos to a local photographer on the island who made some good comments about them. So at least some people are appreciating these photos.

@Sari ONeal you were spot on with the time table for the monarch emerging from the chrysalis. It was about 8:20AM when it came out. I had just set up the video at 8AM and was going to go adjust it when I realized it was already starting to come out so I just left it running. So amazing something so big can come out of something so small! I just released it about an hour ago. it kept flying around my studio when I was trying to photograph it so I figured the few images I got was enough. The others should start enclosing soon so I'll have more subjects to work with in a week or so anyway.

Also picked up a mama cat with two kittens. Giving her a few days to adjust before I try to play with the babies. She seems pretty laid back. Nice change from the last few moms we've fostered.

Sari, I know you've been working with the caterpillars for years, so you have a lot more experience. I don't expect to get many sales from the images, but they're still fun to create. And I can use them for my greeting cards. Next time I'll have to work on getting photos of the process since I have a good clip from the first one. One of the five I have now is in the process of enclosing into his chrysalis. Not enough light to do a time lapse of that. It takes so long for them to complete the process. He's been thinking about it for several hours now, but it's finally upside down hanging from it's bum, so I know it's not just digesting food getting ready to eat more :) 

Sebastian is going nuts over squirrels lately. We've had quite a few running on the fence and he won't stop barking. Had a bark collar on him that vibrates when he barks, but it doesn't seem to phase him and I don't want to use a shock collar, but the barking is really an issue. Thinking I'll go get a squirt bottle. He really hates the hose. All I have to do is point it in his direction when I'm working in the yard and he runs inside the house.

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

@Patrick Cooper do you have a whale photo to share? Would like to see. I'd love to get whale photos but haven't had a chance - was going to go out whale watching on my trip to Batemans Bay early this month but ocean conditions weren't right. 

Steven there are some good whale watching trips out of Brisbane if you get a chance.

Steve, I don't have those whale photos online. Though sometime, my brother should be uploading one of them to his website.

Shame on the Batemans Bay trip being cancelled. That would be awesome seeing a whale from a boat. Ive only ever seen them from land. I have seen dolphins from a boat many times and that is always an amazing experience. 

3 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

One of the five I have now is in the process of enclosing into his chrysalis. Not enough light to do a time lapse of that.

Sheila, regarding time lapse, can't you increase the iso and lower the shutter speed to deal with the low light conditions? That's what I can do with my equipment when I'm shooting time lapse.

4 minutes ago, Steven Tritton said:

Patrick look forward to seeing your photo when your brother uploads.

Wendy, thanks! Got to say if I had a chance to get.to Brissy I'd be just as keen to get a ton of content of nearby popular places and tourist areas. 

Steve I had 2 whale watching trips from Brissie, pre-stock days. It is an amazing experience. Especially when one of them chooses to swim under the boat and you realise just how big they are. There are lots of things to shoot in and around the general area. 

Hi folks, I haven't been about much and I must really be missing the place because I only went and dreamt about this forum last night. OMG LOL! There was some random bother going on so I went in person to headquarters to get it sorted out, only to find Sheila was there already sorting it all out for us 😂

Everyone was looking good in my dream, hope you are all doing well IRL :D 

3 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Hi folks, I haven't been about much and I must really be missing the place because I only went and dreamt about this forum last night. OMG LOL! There was some random bother going on so I went in person to headquarters to get it sorted out, only to find Sheila was there already sorting it all out for us 😂

Everyone was looking good in my dream, hope you are all doing well IRL :D 

lol Linda that is hilarious!

18 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

The whale watching experiences sound amazing. Never seen them myself. Must be awe inspiring!

it sure is Linda ....

5 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

The whale watching experiences sound amazing. Never seen them myself. Must be awe inspiring!

It is and I can thoroughly recommend it. I have been whale watching off Massachusetts, Alaska and New Zealand. I have also seen whales randomly on cruises and, most recently, off the beach in Hawaii. It just never gets old.

From a photographer's perspective, the toughest thing is getting that one great shot because you just never know when and where the whale will re-emerge and you don't have time to get the shot composed and taken. But it's still wonderful.

10 hours ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

He's been thinking about it for several hours now, but it's finally upside down hanging from it's bum,

Sheila, it does take a very long time, but a lot of it is just hanging down in preparation. We can't see the process they go through right before pupation because it happens under their skin, but what they need to do is another molt under the old skin, which takes a long time. When they finally pupate, they basically pop out of the old skin and then kinda "shrink down" into the new green one, and shake the old one off. After that they just let it harden.

The best cue for knowing when they do the actual switch from old to new is to look at their antennas  -- when they completely deflate and go all flat and lifeless looking, the pupation is VERY close.

Like in this pic the antennas are deflated, but it's otherwise not quite ready yet; it's about 40 minutes from pupation

stock-photo-monarch-caterpillar-hanging-

Here's a screencap just bufore pupation

flatantennae.jpg.2afea77cd1b48431723e6fc0545a6b74.jpg

Notice how the antennas are flat and spiraled (vs the other pic they're just flat) - THAT is your cue to be very ready.

7 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

That could be the effect of lockdown. I think things are a bit stricter in Wales? 

Anyway, the good news is you got a trip to New York out of it 😊

Patrick, I do slow down the shutterspeed and up the ISO, but on my Nikon, I can't slow the SS less than 60 fps. It won't let me.

ROFLOL Linda. That's too funny. I've only been to SS headquarters once :D 

Deb, adorable caring momma cat. Her baby looks very much like her. The one we are fostering, the mom is similar to those cats you have there, but the babies are all grey. At least the few seconds I got to see of them when I was putting her in the room. I try not to mess with them too much the first few days while the mom is adjusting to the new environment.

Thanks Sari, that's good information. I went out to run errands and was out longer than planned (Locked my keys in the car and had to wait for AAA to come open the door for me. Not used to driving the cars that require the actual key in the ignition). When I got back a little while ago, it's all done enclosing. My son said he looked at it about 40 min prior and it was still hanging upside down so I guess when they decide to get to work, they work pretty fast. I'll try to catch one of the others if I can. I haven't scheduled any work shifts this week since the only site needing help right now only does 12 hour shifts (not my preference) so I will hopefully have some time. Still need to get a few more scenes in with the kitten before I take her back tomorrow. She's just such a firecracker, it's hard to get photos. She doesn't like to sit still at all.

And the chrysalis was much more clear just before it emerged, so I got these images and merged them together about 15 min before it came out.

monarch-butterfly-chrysalis-transparent-

Sheila do a time lapse in pics, not on video, and compile (unless your camera has a time lapse option built-in?) in your video editor.

49 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Not used to driving the cars that require the actual key in the ignition

LOL, I've never even seen a car (on the inside) that doesn't require a key for ignition. I wouldn't drive one if you paid me, I don't trust a keyless one ...haha :D

And yeah, it takes about 30 minutes or so for them to pupate once they start - the skin shedding takes maybe a minute? or so, if not less, then they shake the old skin off, which takes a lot of fierce wriggling, but not much time, and after that it's just very slow moving till the chrysalis settles to its form. The two first parts are over quickly, the last part is what takes the most time and there's really nothing going on, it changes very little.