Sari ONeal

The Hummer Thread Vol.2!!!

Wow Sari, glad you were able to get the hummer to someone who could nurture him back to health. There are a few places in California that do that too, but I don't think any of them are close to me. The wildlife rescue I was volunteering at last year is in Fairfield, which is about 50 min drive from here. The lindsey wildlife center in Walnut Creek takes raptors. The one in fairfield takes water foul. there's one around the corner from the fairfield one, but I'm not sure what they take. I helped transfer a mourning dove there at the end of one of my shifts, so it's possible they might take smaller birds too. Hummingbirds are my favorite.

Deb and Linda, the skies are less orange today. It's actually somewhat light outside, although the air quailty is said to be worse today than it was yesterday. I really didn't take a lot of photos. Lighting was bad and what I did take was kind of soft on the focus. It's like taking photos with just street lighting and night time photography has never really been my thing. 

I'll probably try and do some work with the new kitten today. She's a bit of a spit fire. Likes to prance around jumping sideways and attacking feet, etc. Very playful. Hopefully the new room will make her slow down a bit and look around more than darting around as it's harder to photograph a moving subject. She is adorable though. Long hair will need to be brushed first too. She curls up on Meg's desk when she's in class. If she gets to be as big as they expect, that'll be much harder as she gets older for whom ever takes her.

We have no bird rescues in our county, so I had to hunt down the closest one which was nearly 40 miles out.

I don't know if there's any chance for him to be able to grow those tail feathers before it's migration time - as most Hummers will be gone within a couple of weeks. If not, then maybe they can hold him till next spring when the weather is appropriate for them here again. I don't know, I just wish best for the little guy.

Deb, that's quite an extensive collection of cameras. Though I wonder how many of those cameras he actually uses. Although they're nice to look as part of a display, it's also a bit of a shame in a way that there are some people who buy old cameras just to put them on a shelf and not use them whereas there are other people who would be willing to put film in them and shoot with them but can't because they're snatched up by collectors. 

What has annoyed me in the past is other people assuming that I'm buying old super 8 movie cameras to display them on a shelf or something like that. And that is complete nonsense. I buy them because I use them. 

Wendy, Ive watched a few Peter Lik videos on youtube and gosh, this guy is certainly an extrovert in the most extreme way. Very proud and very loud! 

19 hours ago, Patrick Cooper said:

Wendy, Ive watched a few Peter Lik videos on youtube and gosh, this guy is certainly an extrovert in the most extreme way. Very proud and very loud! 

yes!

Sheila what are CE's?

On 12/27/2017 at 3:10 AM, Linda Bestwick said:

I like the look of that Alexa Show, I've got a Google Home. Can't get Spotify on that without a subscription either. I just get it to play radio stations instead. Comp is only in the next room for Spotify anyway :)

I know some people don't like these smart speakers because they listen all the time. And they do keep track of all you ask so they can learn. I think they are great though, and I wonder where this technology will end up too. Agree, very Sci Fi!!

I'm using Google Home too, but I'm not usually tuning in for Spotify, there're some podcasts that I want to check out but it seems they also require Premium, and so I ask for my sound engineer friend to help me get some of the podcasts. He told me just download tools like TunesKit Spotify Music Converter and get the mp3 version of the podcasts, they can be played anywhere. Amazingly, it works.

Wendy, Continuing Education Units. I have to have 30 CE Units every time I renew my license. I just renewed it this year, but I like to stay on top of it so I don't have to play catch up when it's time to renew again (which will be spring of 2022). With not very many people commuting right now, traffic heading home was very decent too. Only took me 30 min to get home tonight.

41 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

Wendy, Continuing Education Units. I have to have 30 CE Units every time I renew my license. I just renewed it this year, but I like to stay on top of it so I don't have to play catch up when it's time to renew again (which will be spring of 2022). With not very many people commuting right now, traffic heading home was very decent too. Only took me 30 min to get home tonight.

awesome on the travel, ah ok on the CE we call them Professional Development courses

Here's a pretty wild pic that shows how far the smoke goes (all the way to east coast). The other day after the cold snap passed, we were supposed to have sunshine and all that.... but the smoke high up made it all just hazy, no sun.

smoke-hurricane.png

I heard the smoke was traveling inland and was pretty intense.  It's been intense here for weeks. The air quality index has been near 200 for some time. today it's actually down to 95, so only moderately unhealthy. I'm guessing we're getting an offshore breeze. Sorry to those of you more inland, but my asthma is grateful.

Definitely came inland, we were at the top of the dangerous zone, had an index peak of 499 over the weekend and Monday, but it was in the 400's the whole weekend. Now we are down to 322, still in the hazardous zone.

3 hours ago, Jeffrey B. Banke said:

Definitely came inland, we were at the top of the dangerous zone, had an index peak of 499 over the weekend and Monday, but it was in the 400's the whole weekend. Now we are down to 322, still in the hazardous zone.

The fires in Oregon are probably why you're getting blanketed in smoke too. They're practically in Washington's backyard. I saw the footage and it was intense on the devastation. Entire towns razed by fire to the foundations. I picked up some KN95 masks today, but they're not as good quality as I was hoping. One of the indicators of a "knock off" is the ear loops instead of the head straps, and these ones have ear loops. So I can't use them for work, but I can use them for around town to cut down on the particulates from the fires. I got an extra pack for my 85 y/o friend as she really wants to be outside and active but doesn't dare when the smoke is so bad. Theoretically, we are going to go on another socially distanced walk with the dog this thursday since the air "should" be even better by then if the winds stay as they are. And no new fires break out.

Yes, we were getting the smoke from California, then it was added too by the fires in Oregon, and our own fires, such as the fire which took out the town of Malden.

In fact I was working for the Sheriff's dept at the Malden/Babb Rd fire, and then had to go directly to another fire over by Spokane Airport in the same day.

We have only been able to find the ear loop masks here.

Jeff, desperate times call for desperate measures. Using the knock off masks is better than no mask for sure. At least as far as fire particulates are concerned. The facility is supposed to provide us with PPE, so I could push the subject if I really need it for work. The only time I really need to worry about it is when I'm on the floor with recovering Covid patients. Theoretically, they're no longer contagious, but they're on a separate floor anyway just to be on the safe side and full PPE protocols are observed.

@Sari ONeal I have a butterfly question. I found a monarch caterpillar on my milkweed a few weeks ago and I've been feeding it. It just enclosed yesterday (although it seems fairly small to hae done that already). The enclosure I have it in is pretty small since it was just a caterpillar. I want to move it to the larger (small aquarium type) container. But it's attached to the top of the bug carrier container. How delicate do I have to be with moving it and what would you recommend using to attach it to the other container? If it's a major issue, I'll just leave it where it is till it emerges, but I'd kind of like to get some photos and video when it emerges if I'm not working when that happens, and the current set up doesn't really allow for that.

Sheila - It's attached with a thin layer of silk to the surface of your carrier. You should be able to peel that off (I've done it before, use a needle or something else sharp to start at the outer edge of the silk and carefully peel it off the surface), and then re-attach it to your new spot. I've used a thread before; just sew through the silk (put a knot at the end!) and then attach the thread to the new surface. Depending on what material the new surface is, you can just either sew it on there, use tape on the thread, or even a small dab of glue. Some people just glue the silk to the new location.

I don't know where you have it, but you should have it someplace where it gets daylight.

It will most likely eclose in the morning of the day when it's ready (the chrysalis changes colors so you can see the black and orange of the wings through it the previous day). Most of mine have eclosed between 9 and 10am, but there can be variation either way, earlier or later. It also happens very quickly; once they crack the chrysalis, they're out in a minute, it's very easy to miss as it's hard to see when the chrysalis is cracked. If the chrysalis doesn't look "tight" any more, but more like there some air in there between the shell and the butterfly, it's ready to pop open.

You *could* take a Milkweed stem and sew the thread through it, and then hang that securely in your setup so that the butterfly, once outside, has plenty of room to hang down without touching anything with the wings, as well as flap the wings outwards without touching anything. If the wings don't have enough room to fill out and "dry" straight, the butterfly will never be able to fly. That phase will take about two hours before they can fly.

Thanks. I'll work on getting it set up probably on Thursday. Since it just enclosed on Monday, I have a few days to figure something out. I saw that the chrysalis becomes transparent just before they emerge. I'll keep an eye on that to see when the green disappears. I have it on the shelf below the window that's above my desk, so it does get sunlight during the day. But not direct light.

The devastation from the fires sounds extreme. It wasn't too long ago earlier in the year when Australia was in the same predicament. It's crazy how extreme the weather conditions are getting to produce these fires in the Northern and Southern hemisphere. I really hope it's not going to continue like this for years in the future. 

26 minutes ago, Patrick Cooper said:

The devastation from the fires sounds extreme. It wasn't too long ago earlier in the year when Australia was in the same predicament. It's crazy how extreme the weather conditions are getting to produce these fires in the Northern and Southern hemisphere. I really hope it's not going to continue like this for years in the future. 

Patrick I was watching a show last night and it was talking about the way the permafrost was melting. Apparently there is no way to stop this and this in turn is changing the weather substantially and the wild weather will just increase.